Dad disowns his gay son in handwritten letter

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
What a shitty father. I hope that he really needs his son one day and his son won't be there for him.

This is why I'm not religious...people justify bullshit like that with the Bible. Fuck em all.

Im religious. I just think the bible and "church" are majorly corrupt and the bible now a way to justify behavior Jesus would get pissed at.

Stuff like this is why i hate the church. it has so much influence that this man is willing to disown his son.

there is no justification for it and it amazes me when i hear stories like this. i just see not wanting my kids around.

Nov 30, 2006
What a shitty father. I hope that he really needs his son one day and his son won't be there for him.

This is why I'm not religious...people justify bullshit like that with the Bible. Fuck em all.
Who is more ignorant about Christianty...the Dad or you? Tough call.

Edit: Damn it...broke another window!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
exactly.

I JUDGE THE FATHER FOR MAKING A FREE CHOICE THAT IS HIS AND HIS ALONE, WHILE SUPPORTING THE SON WHO IS MAKING A FREE CHOICE THAT IS HIS AND HIS ALONE.

Seriously, if you live in a country that allows you free choice in life style, you have to let others have their own choice how they react to that life style. I'm sad for the son and the father, but neither of them are doing anything wrong.

Freedom. The father is free to be an asshole and people are free to call him on it.

I have the feeling if the son were arrested for killing a gay person the father would visit him in jail.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So Jesus said that those who talk to "sinners" will burn in hell. Could you find a new testiment reference where he says precisely that?
That is the part you take exception with? He says it right after the part where he says that all gays and drug dealers will burn in hell for all eternity. :rolleyes:

exactly.

I JUDGE THE FATHER FOR MAKING A FREE CHOICE THAT IS HIS AND HIS ALONE, WHILE SUPPORTING THE SON WHO IS MAKING A FREE CHOICE THAT IS HIS AND HIS ALONE.

Seriously, if you live in a country that allows you free choice in life style, you have to let others have their own choice how they react to that life style. I'm sad for the son and the father, but neither of them are doing anything wrong.
You must have a very narrow definition of 'wrong.'

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Freedom. The father is free to be an asshole and people are free to call him on it.

I have the feeling if the son were arrested for killing a gay person the father would visit him in jail.

this

as a father i love my kids. While i may not always agree with what choices they make or the actions they do i love them. To cast them off and disown them over who they want to have sex with? it really blows my mind.

r3dsh1ft posted a perfect response the guy should have had. instead the guy would rather not ever see or him from him again. I hope the idiot lives long enough to wish he didn't make this decision.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
the son should write i love you letters to his dad every single year on his dads birthday. and always include a pic of him with his boyfriend hugging it out.

At least the dad will always have a nice fire at his birthday party......

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Jesus teaches us that drug dealers and gays will burn in hell for all eternity and so will anyone that talks to them. So yeah, they are exactly the same according to our lord and savior.

It actually says that nowhere in the New Testament. I love all these people that bash Christianity and have never read the NT. Jesus dined with prostitutes, lepers, and tax collectors; not the rich and wealthy. He encouraged those around him, his followers, to follow in this tradition of helping and aiding those less fortunate. The whole point of the ministry was to be accepting of others, regardless of their place in life. The magi that visited Jesus weren't Judeo-Christian. The Good Samaritan wasn't either, yet he was held up as an example of someone who was acting with Christian values, in that he helped someone else without even knowing them. When you meet someone that's judging, screaming, throwing hate at someone in the name of Christianity, they're not acting like a true Christian, no matter how much they say they are. Dislike their views all you want, but please don't act as though they're acting as what is taught by Jesus, because they're not. They're just people that are afraid, and are using Christianity to try and push back against that which they fear.

I'm Catholic, but I don't ram it down others throats, I'm liberal on most social issues, and the priest at my church is as well. He openly speaks about accepting the choices of others in the LGBT community, other religions, etc. even if you don't agree with them, and welcoming them into your life if they're good people. That's what Catholicism/Christianity is supposed to be, and I wish more churches were like this. I know this post doesn't really fit in with the screaming/yelling/all-caps posts that typically come with these threads, but I wanted to post a response to the above quoted post.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I hope the son grows up to be a millionaire and Dad has to come begging for money to keep his home.

Revenge is a dish best served any damn way .

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
that he stood for what he believed to be right, instead of letting society dictate his beliefs. He can still love and be there for his son in a time of need without accepting a gay lifestyle. My brother was once an illegal drug-dealer but I never turned my back on him or stopped loving him despite his lifestyle. Same thing here.

Many people do that, he chose what he believes to be right.

disowning him is a bit harsh, but he still doesn't accept a gay lifestyle, obviously.

Standing for what he believes to be right: +10 points
Disowning his son because of those beliefs: -5 million points

Comparing an illegal activity (drug-dealing) with a legal activity (homosexuality) is ignorant. Drug-dealing is a choice, homosexuality is not.

I am not comparing a drug dealer with a gay person.

The point is simple: an unacceptable lifestyle is an unacceptable lifestyle. In my example, it doesn't matter if the person is gay, sells drugs, steals.. etc.. its a style of life that one may not accept.

Yes you are. And taking cues or advice for contemporary life from a heavily edited and compromised text from ~2000 years ago isn't wise.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
The dad who wrote that letter is anything but courageous. He's a coward.

While it's an assholish thing to do, he's not a coward. It takes a lot of conviction and strength to do something like that, knowing the consequences..

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
exactly.

I think you meant, "but neither of them are doing anything illegal." Wrong and illegal are two different things.

Anyway, the guy must be modelling his life after Jesus by severing all contact with sinners and the impure. I mean where is the Bible can you find Jesus consorting with and/or treating unsavory characters and sinners with respect and love? Oh that's right pretty much everywhere in the Gospels.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
It actually says that nowhere in the New Testament. I love all these people that bash Christianity and have never read the NT. Jesus dined with prostitutes, lepers, and tax collectors; not the rich and wealthy. He encouraged those around him, his followers, to follow in this tradition of helping and aiding those less fortunate. The whole point of the ministry was to be accepting of others, regardless of their place in life. The magi that visited Jesus weren't Judeo-Christian. The Good Samaritan wasn't either, yet he was held up as an example of someone who was acting with Christian values, in that he helped someone else without even knowing them. When you meet someone that's judging, screaming, throwing hate at someone in the name of Christianity, they're not acting like a true Christian, no matter how much they say they are. Dislike their views all you want, but please don't act as though they're acting as what is taught by Jesus, because they're not. They're just people that are afraid, and are using Christianity to try and push back against that which they fear.

This.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+3:12-17&version=NIV

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Standing for what he believes to be right: +10 points
Disowning his son because of those beliefs: -5 million points

Comparing an illegal activity (drug-dealing) with a legal activity (homosexuality) is ignorant. Drug-dealing is a choice, homosexuality is not.

this.

and shame on whatever poster was comparing choosing to be a drug dealer to choosing to be gay

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Using this as an example of why you aren't religious speaks volumes about your lack of understanding about Christianity. Just saying.

Oh, I'm sorry...I should just use my day to day run ins with Christians as a better example.

I don't really give a shit about understanding the Religion, I have seen enough from its followers and I'm sick of hearing about the persecution in the name of their God.

Fuck them and fuck you. Just saying.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
While it's an assholish thing to do, he's not a coward. It takes a lot of conviction and strength to do something like that, knowing the consequences..

No, he's just hiding behind his beliefs. What takes real courage is standing beside his son to face people with narrow views and small minds. That's real strength and courage.

this.

and shame on whatever poster was comparing choosing to be a drug dealer to choosing to be gay

Thanks but a small correction; his son didn't choose to be gay.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
There is nothing wrong with refusing to associate with someone whose lifestyle you disagree with.

Shouldn't matter if it's your child...if they're doing something that you believe is wrong...you don't HAVE to associate with them.

Will this decision be tough for the father, his son, and the rest of his family? Probably...is it WRONG? No. It's HIS decision.

(I don't necessarily agree with his decision, but it's his to make)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That is the part you take exception with? He says it right after the part where he says that all gays and drug dealers will burn in hell for all eternity.

What I object to is fighting ignorance with ignorance. His does not excuse anyone elses, and no I do not agree with his actions.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I think you meant, "but neither of them are doing anything illegal." Wrong and illegal are two different things.

Anyway, the guy must be modelling his life after Jesus by severing all contact with sinners and the impure. I mean where is the Bible can you find Jesus consorting with and/or treating unsavory characters and sinners with respect and love? Oh that's right pretty much everywhere in the Gospels.

Both are wrong, naturally this is my opinion and I believe it to be true (otherwise why believe it?).

Being gay is just wrong and disowning your son is wrong too. Im not saying people cant be gay or disown their children, but I will judge them accordingly.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Letter is fake.

Anybody who has written a letter of disown-ment always signs with their name, not "Dad" or "Mom" that name is gone by the end of the letter.

Somebody just wanted to catch the end of the chick-fil-a ordeal and post some made up stuff.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003

Well, considering he didn't have the guts to tell this to his son face to face, I have questions about his courage.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
There is nothing wrong with refusing to associate with someone whose lifestyle you disagree with.

Shouldn't matter if it's your child...if they're doing something that you believe is wrong...you don't HAVE to associate with them.

Will this decision be tough for the father, his son, and the rest of his family? Probably...is it WRONG? No. It's HIS decision.

(I don't necessarily agree with his decision, but it's his to make)

It all depends on how you define wrong. It's certainly not illegal, but I do think it is morally wrong.

Protesting a soldier's funeral is both legal and a choice a group of people routinely decide to make. I also think that is wrong.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It all depends on how you define wrong. It's certainly not illegal, but I do think it is morally wrong.

Protesting a soldier's funeral is both legal and a choice a group of people routinely decide to make. I also think that is wrong.

"MORALLY wrong?" So you want to judge the guy by YOUR set of standards?

IMO, that's as wrong as what he did.

Morals are just "rules" made up by a group to govern the behavior of others.

Nov 30, 2006
Oh, I'm sorry...I should just use my day to day run ins with Christians as a better example.

I don't really give a shit about understanding the Religion, I have seen enough from its followers and I'm sick of hearing about the persecution in the name of their God.

Fuck them and fuck you. Just saying.
You really shouldn't get so pissed off...we're both in total agreement regarding your understanding of "the Religion".