Cyberpunk 2077

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
What? Sneak is like the most overpowered thing in the game! You can whistle, distract, blind, pin, do all sorts of stuff that makes sneaking a breeze. I did the whole heist until the car ride undetected to see if it would change Jackie's fate, but no luck. I only stopped heavily sneaking once I realized how fun the level 18 blade skill is.

Reactions: Martimus

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe once or twice I managed to get through a mission totally undetected. Sneaking is ... iffy. It feels like all the mechanics are there for it to work, but like a lot of things in this game in needs more finetuning. I can happily sneak around and knock over a pile of whatever and the guards never notice. Sometimes I sneak right past a guard and they will barely notice me, other times it's instant detection even if I just poke my head out. Lots of times I takedown three to four guards on my way to the objective, taking care to hide the bodies, but then I get a body spotted message and everyone is on alert?? There is also a bug or something, where sometimes you brush up against a shelf or something and you get taken out of crouch.

Plus as a major annoyance, it was really stupid to make the crouch key and the skip conversation key the same binding.

lol, I had to rebind the skip convo button. was super annoying. however...you can no longer crouch while in convo. I mean, that's why I used it--I found myself stuck in crouch half the time, entering convo, ffs....anyway.

yeah, just straight up stealth, I find not very functional. The knocking over boxes that don't do anything...the physics is just broke. I tiptoe around a concrete barrier, it shatters. walk into a room stacked to the ceiling with file boxes of papers, they just shred and explode when I walk near them. Cans blast around the alley if you think too hard near them. I mean, there should be some disturbance of items that alert targets, but they don't, because it's actually just broken physics. Now, I think that was the intent, but they realized that the physics were so broken that they turned off the AI from noticing disturbed items (at least, I hope so), so it's just a *current* victim of the current state of triage in this game, when it comes to AI.

but pure sneaking..toss in some hacking seems to be the best, quickest way to make it work for me. get a good cyberdeck and the proper skills, you can just scan the cameras and start remotely shutting down enemies, no death. It's too easy...but at least (system reset, I think), the quickhack skill is RAM and CD expensive, so you can't just spam it everywhere. The upgraded sonic shock hack is really nice, because it basically eliminates (no hear, no communicate, no communicate-to) for your target for about 1 minute. And it's relatively RAM cheap. So, a couple of quick hacks after scannning the room, you can then run through and/or knock out the remaining targets as you go. Also, overloading objects doesn't really alert anyone else, unless they walk by later and notice an unconsious body. Same with system shutdown--I've basically tranq'd a dude with that, while some other dude is starting at them, and no biggy. writhing on the floor, jamming in his Beats by Dre headphones or whatever.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What? Sneak is like the most overpowered thing in the game! You can whistle, distract, blind, pin, do all sorts of stuff that makes sneaking a breeze. I did the whole heist until the car ride undetected to see if it would change Jackie's fate, but no luck. I only stopped heavily sneaking once I realized how fun the level 18 blade skill is.

Right, I think people that are trying to multitask in this game will find all tasks difficult early on. Now that I'm higher leveled and have way more goodies, sneaking has finally started to work, with the proper hacks equipped and perk points to sustain RAM. It does start working really well, but maybe early in the game, you have to max that to get an advantage at that point. Otherwise, it can be a slog if you find yourself trying to focus on only sneaking early in a few missions, while all the while you have been dividing points and mods to more combat-oriented stuff.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
and OMG, only 70? hrs into the game, I finally accessed the Japanese garden on the base level, absolute central part of the city.

LoL. never went there before. Lots of just, weird crap just appears in parts of this city, and all of it really cleverly integrated within itself, and unique from the other neighborhoods.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I might just stop doing the side missions & gigs to finish the story and then re-play as fem V. Very few of the side missions have been either fun or rewarding although some were a bit more on the 'interesting' side. Also, driving around in the city is annoying; the traffic patterns are so very puzzling and inconvenient at times that I feel like fast-traveling (since there are so many stations) is just the more sensible option. Is there any way to improve the mesh quality of the vehicles that pop in or is that purely a hard drive speed? That chunk blur mess hurts my soul every time it happens--so you can imagine I've no soul now.

Overall, at 40 hours in, I still don't know how to feel about the game. I like the story, most of the characters, and Night City is genuinely awe-inspiring, but at times I just fail to have fun playing it. The combat is forgettable at best with terrible cover mechanics and the perks/upgrades are mostly fluff. I think I saw a +1.0% stat for attack speed and was like "oh, game changer." Has anyone been able to successfully do a stealth run of any hostile area without just pacifying the entire enemy force? I was told that sneaking with a silenced weapon and getting head shots would keep you undetected if you hid bodies but I've not been able to do that. Maybe I just don't have the right perks?

That is probably the best idea to play the game right now, it needs a ton of polish, specially side missions, I only do side missions to level up so I dont get into that weird fight mechanic where 5 sniper rounds to the face of some tango does 10% damage.
The main story though. Holy smokes. I have no doubt that in half a year we will be able to have the "witcher 3" experience in regards to side missions/gigs as well... Its just not there right now. They should have postponed it again. On the other hand, the main mission is *DAAAMN GOOD*.

edit : How much dialog have YOU missed because for some reason you are suddenly crouched when entering conversations and ... crouch is bound to c .. and skip dialog is bound to c.
? Asking for a friend.

edit : Also, anyone else about to power off that Delamain AI? It will call you, with no option to hang up or shut off all the damned time, including the main story plot .. it jus pops up mid sentence something and spoils the thing.

Last edited:

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Is the cursor movement too slow in the menus for anyone else? Looking for a way to speed it up instead of taking a long time just to move the cursor across a menu.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Is the cursor movement too slow in the menus for anyone else? Looking for a way to speed it up instead of taking a long time just to move the cursor across a menu.

I haven't noticed it. Is in-game cursor speed effected by system settings at all? I know I have always had cursor speed set to "crack mode" forever (especially now that I am on UW for ~3 years now).

--after 100 hours and finally finishing the "final mission" (it really sneaks up on you and, I agree, it seems to come way too early, especially if you skip a lot of the side mission stuff, which I obviously didn't), I finally discovered how ricocheting works, lol. Even using ricochet guns through most of the playthrough. I've found those variable gun mechanics....just not very necessary?

With ricochet, you have to equip the proper mods and mod upgrades (I think a piece of software for your eye cyberware), which are things you just have to find randomly. No real indication anywhere that this stuff is necessary to get these functions to work.

I think I got the worst ending, even though I plowed through a lot of side missions, but mainly because the description of my options there at the end, were the complete opposite of what ended up happening, so I was left confused

when choosing between turning off Johnny or letting Johnny take over, I walked toward the path that was basically "let V take control" ...but then as I walk that path, I start getting attacked by V. SO like, Oh, V is fighting from being taken over...so then I walk back the other way and put Johnny in a bath of ice water, which also makes sense that we are killing off Johnny, I thought...but no. I wake up with V "dead" and Johnny in complete control. WTF was that? At least the final mission doesn't really lock you. You get credit for completing the game, and random junk (doesn't tell you what you get, so you have to search your inventory and you might not even know what you get), and it lets you start the final mission again, with the 3 or 4 main paths, and then the final 2 decisions at the end, so that's nice, I guess. ....at least I hope it was the worst ending, because while it seemed to sorta "fit" the way things went, it just felt flat.

I'm trying to finish up a bunch of gigs and other stuff (I think there are still a couple of actual side story missions that I haven't unlocked yet), but it quickly becomes tedious once you have finished the main game....which is pretty much how Witcher 3 felt. It's weird how you can find yourself so into a game like this for nearly all the time, and when you suddenly finish the main story, you instantly lose most of your interest in everything, even if you have a lot of content remaining.

I'll probably wait until several patches and/or DLC (if CDPR is still around by the end of the year, assuming they don't get bought out in response to plummeting stock price, lol) to do another run through. I wanna go with a Power nomad--shotguns and body tree (I still can't do any of the fighting side missions. I have Body at 4, and it isn't enough to do any damage to any of the opponents, lol); and then a corporate mele/ninja/pure stealthy type, I think.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I just started playing this today on my gaming laptop. It's one of those games that I don't think I'll finish because there's so much shit to do, but I like what I've seen so far.

No game breaking bugs yet, but a number of UI bugs. It doesn't run great, but it runs well enough and looks pretty damn good on my mobile RTX 2060.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just started playing this today on my gaming laptop. It's one of those games that I don't think I'll finish because there's so much shit to do, but I like what I've seen so far.

No game breaking bugs yet, but a number of UI bugs. It doesn't run great, but it runs well enough and looks pretty damn good on my mobile RTX 2060.

the good thing is that the shear number of icons that populate the map are more distracting/discouraging than the game has to be. If you stick to the main mission quests and the primary side quests (not the "gigs," under their own quest category), then the game is relatively short and probably not too terribly difficult to finish. It should probably only take 30 hours, maybe 40 at that point, and you can still pick up some of the random icon events here and there.

the primary part of this game is sticking to the story line in some sort of flow...it is easy to get distracted, but if you know you're time will be pretty limited, then focus on the main quests and characters (meaning: not the fixers, so much), then you'll pretty much experience all that the game is about, in probably the "proper dosage." It's very cinematic and really is designed to pull you through to the next primary mission.

It's also not a vast, cheesy, "I need to save the world" story. It's very personal and nothing about the world is really going to matter in relation to what your character does in achieving their goals--much to the game's credit. It's one of the best, if not the best-told stories in a game that I can remember in years.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
the good thing is that the shear number of icons that populate the map are more distracting/discouraging than the game has to be. If you stick to the main mission quests and the primary side quests (not the "gigs," under their own quest category), then the game is relatively short and probably not too terribly difficult to finish. It should probably only take 30 hours, maybe 40 at that point, and you can still pick up some of the random icon events here and there.

the primary part of this game is sticking to the story line in some sort of flow...it is easy to get distracted, but if you know you're time will be pretty limited, then focus on the main quests and characters (meaning: not the fixers, so much), then you'll pretty much experience all that the game is about, in probably the "proper dosage." It's very cinematic and really is designed to pull you through to the next primary mission.

It's also not a vast, cheesy, "I need to save the world" story. It's very personal and nothing about the world is really going to matter in relation to what your character does in achieving their goals--much to the game's credit. It's one of the best, if not the best-told stories in a game that I can remember in years.
Gotcha, that's not too bad then. If the story hooks me then I should be able to finish it at least once.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea I'm officially abandoning the side material for now as there's just no way it makes the game better.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I’ve been enjoying driving around and doing all the side material before I beat the main game. Lot of it can be safely skipped if you’re not that into the world, but it’s a good way to get into areas you wouldn’t otherwise see. I do skip most of the NCPD stuff. Getting dangerously close to clearing the map of gigs and side quests though after 70 hours. Except beat on the brat because I am seriously underpowered in body and melee .. can’t even beat the ones labeled Very Low risk. I’ve been playing it as a pure semi-stealthy shooter mostly with pistols, minimal to no cyber or body mods.

Picking up my XBX controller for driving has made that aspect a lot more enjoyable. The game very seamlessly switches between keyboard and controller controls.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Maybe once or twice I managed to get through a mission totally undetected. Sneaking is ... iffy. It feels like all the mechanics are there for it to work, but like a lot of things in this game in needs more finetuning. I can happily sneak around and knock over a pile of whatever and the guards never notice. Sometimes I sneak right past a guard and they will barely notice me, other times it's instant detection even if I just poke my head out. Lots of times I takedown three to four guards on my way to the objective, taking care to hide the bodies, but then I get a body spotted message and everyone is on alert?? There is also a bug or something, where sometimes you brush up against a shelf or something and you get taken out of crouch.

Plus as a major annoyance, it was really stupid to make the crouch key and the skip conversation key the same binding.
I get through almost every mission without being seen. I do take out all the enemies with non-lethal takedown moves though, except the minibosses. I pretty much play it like Hitman, or Deux Ex, and avoid killing if at all possible. You level up your stealth very quickly in the game this way.

That said, I agree with you on the wierd niggling issues. I was planning to wait a few months to play in order for the bugs to be worked out, but I decided to buy it anyway to try it out. I'm amazed at how well it runs on my hardware at the ultra preset. I figured it would be a slideshow based on the comments and memes, but it runs better than X4 for me. I have seen a noticeable slowdown once though after 20 hours playing. But only the once so far, and it was a cut scene where my character was staring out the window after being infected.

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Finished 4 of the possible 6(?) Endings. I went hardcore into hacking. At the top end it gets insane. You can DOT all sorts of groups to death without ever exposing yourself. Near the end there were quite a few enemies that could 1 shot you and that helped a lot. That said, its not worth it. For 99% of the game guns are way more effective. Even with only 6 dex and almost no feats in it I was keeping up no problem. There is way better itemization for guns as you are constantly picking them up. Hack stuff and chrome is really tough to get ahold of and very expensive if you want to go that route. I was kinda hoping there would be more indepth hacking sequences, but those match the numbers on a grid games are it. One thing that pissed me off was the cops though. Nick a pedestrian with your car and a death squad teleports to your location with only 1 star. They are uber powerful even at end game, respond way too quickly and pretty much ensure a reload from minor accidents.

I finished the Panam, endings and the Arasaka endings. Still need to play through the final mission as Johnny and see if the mission is different. FWIW the Panam mission and ending was WAY better than the others I got to see so far. Arasaka loses you everything basically. Going with Panam to assault the tower and then letting johnny have the body I was hoping would give me a detailed beyond the black wall experience, but instead it focuses on Johnny afterwards. Has anyone see options other than Johnny/Panam/Arasaka? I think I completed all the side missions prior to launching. The only one I'm not sure of is the samurai thread as that was the last one I did and it might have been on time delay before it gave me the next one.

Overall it was a great game and I didn't experience any more issues with it than a normal launch title.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^ what difficulty are you playing on? I'm on hard and basically get one-shot from most sources from the beginning to the end of the game (level 44ish, I think). It seems that at this difficulty, enemy AI is only making headshots, and you only have to expose yourself for a second, haha. I also have only 4 body and very little into tech (which gives you armor...but otherwise seems a mostly useless attribute).

a lot of the stuff in this game is indeed very expensive, considering that credits aren't really that easy to get. Imagine if you were actually buying those cars? lol.

agree on the cops, especially because the driving right now seems designed only to get you in trouble. I don't understand how all of these cars oversteer and understeer at the same time, none of them have actual brakes, and they are pretty much the same mechanics from vehicle type to vehicle type. No matter what you do approaching an intersection, you are going to hit some brainless mob spawn and the police are going to be pissed.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
^ what difficulty are you playing on? I'm on hard and basically get one-shot from most sources from the beginning to the end of the game (level 44ish, I think). It seems that at this difficulty, enemy AI is only making headshots, and you only have to expose yourself for a second, haha. I also have only 4 body and very little into tech (which gives you armor...but otherwise seems a mostly useless attribute).

a lot of the stuff in this game is indeed very expensive, considering that credits aren't really that easy to get. Imagine if you were actually buying those cars? lol.

agree on the cops, especially because the driving right now seems designed only to get you in trouble. I don't understand how all of these cars oversteer and understeer at the same time, none of them have actual brakes, and they are pretty much the same mechanics from vehicle type to vehicle type. No matter what you do approaching an intersection, you are going to hit some brainless mob spawn and the police are going to be pissed.

Difficult as well. Enemies downed me pretty quick most of the game, but only near the end did they literally one shot me. I had about 320hp, but had about 14 tech so maybe the armor was making a difference. I think it was mostly snipers. The points you get from attributes scale really poorly. Better off just taking the minimum levels to be able to use the perks to increase HP. I think I ended up with 6 in body.

It would be nice to be able to kill a civilian once in awhile and get away with it on low star levels. Even worse than the driving is the missions that take place in a market or something. Suddenly you get jumped and return fire. Well bullets over penetrate and you can accidently kill them behind your targets. Hope you saved recently.

Buying cars is just nuts. I never had enough cash to waste on them. Maybe if you do a ton of gigs you get enough? Though if you're not trying to level crafting by breaking down cheaper weapons you might have a bit more to splash around. Pretty much the only thing I bought all game was new chrome.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
potatoes-no.jpg

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Done.
Pure effend diamond this game.

In the raw.
Underneath.
Exceptional potential.

Way way way too "in the raw".
Dont think im gonna explore the other endings. Too bad this experience should be tainted by the "beta-1" version experience.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I got the game as a gift but I think its going to be a few years before I actually pick it up and play it so I get the "gold edition" experience.

Still have Witcher 3 to play through, anyhow.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011

I was having the same problem until I learned how crafting works. Get the armadillo crafting spec. Every two or three levels make 30 or so new armadillo mods to refill all of your armor slots. That will double your armor at least and take care of that one shot feeling, even on very hard. If that isn't enough, get 5 body and put 3 points into invicible for 30% more hp. By the way, the armor bonus from tech doesn't work.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Get the armadillo crafting spec. Every two or three levels make 30 or so new armadillo mods to refill all of your armor slots. That will double your armor at least and take care of that one shot feeling, even on very hard. If that isn't enough, get 5 body and put 3 points into invicible for 30% more hp. By the way, the armor bonus from tech doesn't work.

yeah, I've been doing exactly that, heh. Kinda crazy how quickly your unspecced skill can produce some hefty armor mods. Still...I haven't noticed much difference. I can boost individual armor pieces by about 150% at a time, and I still get one-shot. ...it does help me survive a bit If I do more charging into the fray, but the AI really is tuned to head shots. It's a bit frustrating, since the reticule in this game...seems not very accurate/really hard to track during action (I pretty much only use pistols, so that's part of it: I'm specced to get get massive headshot bonuses, which seems more difficult to pull off on this game).

I think I only have 6 in technical...was slowly leveling it up early on once I started encountering those tech doors, but just ignored it. I honestly would not have recognized that the armor bonus wasn't working, because it seemed like armor in general doesn't really help, lol. I was hoping to respec-scum to do a temporary crafting spree (all the legendary specs that I found), but only discovered after purchasing the 100k kit that you can't respec attributes in this game right now. ...I mean, it says it right there in the description, I just sorta glanced over "perks" as if it meant all your points, lol.

This current toon, I wanted to just put everything into Reflex/Intel/Cool, rest in Body