Cyberpunk 2077

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So I tried 1440p with quality DLSS and was getting 60fps average with highs into the 80s and low of around 50 with every setting maxed out including psycho ray tracing and scene space reflection. The same settings at 4K with performance DLSS gave me average of around 50 with lows into the low 40s and highs of around low 60s.

One thing I noticed right away is how much sharper the game looks at 4K even with DLSS performance which was a bit surprising. It’s even sharper than 1440p native. I was quite surprised at this. 1440p native was giving me fps into the 30s and VRR could not compensate so I got lots of jittery action that made it tough to play so I could not run that at maxed settings. I intended to play with full ray tracing so that’s what my testing was limited to. I could turn off ray tracing and play at 4K easily with averages pretty close to 60 or maybe even more depending on DLSS settings.

Very impressed with DLSS now that I have seen it first hand. I never would have expected a 1080p rendered and scaled to 4K image to look more clear and sharp than a native 1440p but for cyberpunk this is the case. There are probably some areas with noticeable artifacts or some blurring in the background. I’ve seen people claim there is some shimmering or sparkles in chain link fences and the hair on different characters in the game. In gameplay it’s difficult for me to pick out these details.

Also you can update the DLSS version of the game by downloading and replacing the .dll file in the game files. TechPowerup has the latest version 2.4 which I will link below. You can use this for any DLSS title. Just navigate to the install directory and locate the nvngx_dlss.dll file and replace it with the newer one. The newer versions have various benefits to performance, image sharpening, and I’ve heard some artifacts are fixed in newer releases that were present in the older versions. Each game seems to include a different version of this dll file. Metro exodus uses a 2.1 version and cyberpunk a 2.3 for example.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Some of the ray tracing like psycho mode really isn't any different from the one step below that. You could definitely play 4k with dlss and tune certain ray tracing options on/off so as to get you better fps if you wanted to. I just used the digital foundry to recommended ray tracing settings and I thought that looked very good at my ultra wide resolution.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Some of the ray tracing like psycho mode really isn't any different from the one step below that. You could definitely play 4k with dlss and tune certain ray tracing options on/off so as to get you better fps if you wanted to. I just used the digital foundry to recommended ray tracing settings and I thought that looked very good at my ultra wide resolution.

I don’t want any options off. I could just be playing on ps5 lol. Seriously though I’m trying to locate a comparison of psycho vs ultra and really can’t. Hardware unboxed says it uses ray traced global illumination on psycho though. The performance difference is small to me. Almost at the point you could call it margin of error in the benchmark anyway.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I played at native 4K without RT and quality DLSS, which gave a consistent 90-120fps. RT hurts the performance too much in this game and doesn't do enough visually.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
RT is a bit hit and miss. I was taking some screenshots for a friend and in some areas it makes almost no difference and in some areas it looks completely different. Here is just one example I sent to my friend awhile back.

Attachments

• regular.jpg
    regular.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 21
  • ray trace.jpg
    ray trace.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: cmdrdredd

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
So far in my experience RT makes the most beautiful visual (subjectively speaking) impact during Night time, and within the City proper. I would argue that Night time is meant to be seen with RT on with all the neon lights, it's honestly pretty incredible at times. But, during Day time it's very hit or miss. And outside the City, in the Badlands it's usually pretty subtle; there's not so much RT can actually do in a desert environment, really. However, in general, I'd say RT activated on High with DLSS on Balanced gives good enough performance and provides enough of a 'good' visual impact to keep it that way. However, yes, I'm speaking from the point of view of an RTX 3080 owner; I can't say I would have typed this exact sentence if I didn't go for this card recently (coming from my previous non-Ti GTX 1080 it's quite a universe of change I'm getting with this generations jump).

Then again, RT is something that is very subjective, in the end. No one can say it's objectively "better" with, or without it. It's a matter of taste. And, currently, even with the current generation of GPUs it's also a matter of performance gains Vs loss. Maybe with the next gen cards the performance impact will be so significantly reduced that it will become really hard to argue that it costs too much in performance to use it even if you happen to like what it does. Although I can say that, at least in my case, I find the performance with RT on good enough. I'm getting up to around 80+ FPS in indoor environments (not every single one, but around 70+ is my average for indoor FPS, 80+ can be seen here and there like in the first apartment in the main building), and maybe just about the 60 FPS mark minimum for outdoors (then again it does depend where I am and what I'm doing; that's with maximum crowd density as well). I wouldn't find the point of going from my typical favored 60 FPS smoothness to suddenly wanting to get 100+ FPS for no particular reason. I'm fine with just about 60 with minor fluctuations here and there.

The only real lasting argument will remain though: subjective appreciation of what RT does visually to the game, regardless of how many generations of cards we'll go though with this tech; you'll always find people 'hating' it, and people loving it (and I guess a little in between, depending on the games and how it was implemented by 'x' devs).

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I like RT in other games, but here I only saw the difference in a few places like those red glass rooms in the corpo intro sequence. I generally want at least 90fps most of the time and will turn down settings to get there.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I played at native 4K without RT and quality DLSS, which gave a consistent 90-120fps. RT hurts the performance too much in this game and doesn't do enough visually.

I disagree on the visuals. The reflections and lighting at night are a huge upgrade. I can’t go back because everything looks too flat. Since I’m using VRR the game is smooth and there is no jittery motion. In this particular game, even though it’s an first person shooter, I don’t feel hindered. If I was playing doom eternal or a game like that I would demand as much as I could get. I guess I’m
Just not an fps snob lol. I came from a 1080ti just a couple of days ago. You can imagine how that was in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Then again, RT is something that is very subjective, in the end. No one can say it's objectively "better" with, or without it. It's a matter of taste. And, currently, even with the current generation of GPUs it's also a matter of performance gains Vs loss. Maybe with the next gen cards the performance impact will be so significantly reduced that it will become really hard to argue that it costs too much in performance to use it even if you happen to like what it does. Although I can say that, at least in my case, I find the performance with RT on good enough. I'm getting up to around 80+ FPS in indoor environments (not every single one, but around 70+ is my average for indoor FPS, 80+ can be seen here and there like in the first apartment in the main building), and maybe just about the 60 FPS mark minimum for outdoors (then again it does depend where I am and what I'm doing; that's with maximum crowd density as well). I wouldn't find the point of going from my typical favored 60 FPS smoothness to suddenly wanting to get 100+ FPS for no particular reason. I'm fine with just about 60 with minor fluctuations here and there.

What resolution were you using?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I know this is an old game at this point but I’m just now playing through it. Can’t help but express some thoughts after maybe 20 hours or so into the game.

I can see so much potential in Night City. Some of the side missions are thought provoking and others are just flat. Sadly nothing you do really has any meaning, there are no consequences outside a couple of times where you can walk away and not get to see what happens at all or maybe where you fail stealth and someone is angry that you went in guns blazing. No real morality choices to be had though and your actions come without consequences to the world or characters around you. Hard to believe this is the same developer who worked on The Witcher 3 which made you feel that your choices during a lot of quests had meaning to the people and made you feel something for them and may have had some unforeseen affect on the world as a whole if you made certain choices. Nothing like that here.

Still having fun but it could have been so much more. The driving is especially bad, so bad that I deliberately run everywhere and fast travel wherever possible. Melee combat is terrible but in a first person game I have never found melee combat to be all that good to begin with. I’m not really upset that the city doesn’t have many indoor areas to explore and most doors are just locked. Other open world games are like that and it’s impossible to make every building enterable. That said they could have done a bit more to bring the world to life. The police and gang AI is like playing a super Mario game. You get close to them, they alert, eventually they attack. There should have been a bit of a karma system between gangs and police there. Also the general public interaction consists of bumping someone and they say “hey watch it” or they just stand there like you don’t exist. There is no dialog between them and V(you as a player) when you use the interact button. Usually it’s just a “huh” or “mhmm”. Pretty bare bones. Way back in 2002 GTA3 was doing more than that with the AI where they would attack you for continually bumping into them only to run away if you pull a weapon out or something. No such thing here which I knew going into it but still disappointing. To be fair most civilians run away if you point a gun at them but they don’t seem to care if you run out in the street nude or carry a katana in public.

Finally the graphics. Aside from the lighting and a couple character models and nice textures the graphics are not that great IMO. I mean the geometry is kind of boxy if you know what I mean. Things like guard rails don’t look round enough. The way a vehicle moves looks odd and unnatural too. The physics and collision detection are pretty bad but again I knew all about these things prior to starting the game. Seeing them first hand though really does help me understand the initial complaints for sure.

Still an interesting game world and overall story just missing the little things to bring it together better. I haven’t run into any game breaking glitches or bugs though which is likely due to the many updates they have done over the course of more than a year now. I’m glad I played it though and I find the question of what makes us human pretty thought provoking and the idea of downloading your consciousness to a digital media stripping you of humanity and whether is just leaves you an empty shell is pretty interesting to explore.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I tried out the latest patch. The low framerate I was getting earlier (even without RT) was caused by the screen space reflections setting, which needs to be turned down to high or lower. The patch seems to change the entire skill system in some way, and all my existing savegames have the skill points reset and need to be added back manually. It's kind of annoying, but I have already finished the game now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
One odd thing is at times the vehicles don’t have moving tires, sometimes they just appear to skid along without any appearance of wheel spin.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Of all the things you mentioned, the one that really struck it with me was the driving. For everything else, I just make the assumption that they simply did not have the time to create the world this game deserves. They were too ambitious and details that really make a game just aren't there. But the driving...I have no idea how they ended up with what they did. Apparently this game cost around $300 million to make which leads me to believe that the individuals working on just the driving portion probably made hundreds of thousands as a group. You'd think someone would just say "Make the cars feel like GTA 3 or 4" yet the game has the worst driving of any game I've played that I can recall.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Is it worse than the driving in the Matrix Awakens demo?

I only played with the demo for a couple of minutes and I don't recall thinking to myself how terrible the cars were. So I'm going to say yes but others may have better input. I did crash one of the cars in that demo and the physics are MUCH better than anything in Cyberpunk.

• Wow
Jul 27, 2020
I did crash one of the cars in that demo and the physics are MUCH better than anything in Cyberpunk.
I hated driving in the demo. So if CP2077's driving is worse than that, OMG! Maybe they should have just taken the horse riding physics from Witcher 3 and given us robotic horses.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The only way I could drive in Cyberpunk was to use the motorcycles. They feel better than the cars and are at least tolerable.
Same here. Even then, bouncing off of cars on Jackie's bike, is hilarious. In GTA:V you get wasted trying that stuff.

I remember when the game came out, someone here was commenting they could complete the missions using only the sniper rifles. Not the high level cyber psychos, pal. I kneecapped them with a heavy machinegun using the non lethal mod. Sniper didn't do anywhere near enough damage per round.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The only way I could drive in Cyberpunk was to use the motorcycles. They feel better than the cars and are at least tolerable.

You are right the bikes are much better than any car. And the way they shift gears, it’s like there is automatic brakes being applied between gears. Feels so wrong.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The smart weapons are way overpowered. I have to avoid using them. I admit it’s fun blasting a group that thinks they are gonna ambush me and it feels like it belongs in the game world with my overpowered augmentations and implants. It just makes the combat too trivial.

I don’t think I’ll get tired of overloading someone’s implants and watching them fry or forcing a suicide on a random gang member by hacking them though.

Anyone remember a game called Sleeping Dogs? That game had pretty solid driving physics for its time. It released before GTA5 and I felt it had better vehicle handling than GTA. They are making a movie based on the game too. Anyway I feel like it would have been easy to make the vehicles feel better than they do in cyberpunk.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm trying out CP2077 for the first time on my admittedly lower-than recommended specs (1080p) system, but I was really surprised to see that my processor was only being pushed to 50% usage whereas the graphics card was being pushed to its limits:

My system spec:

i5-4690k stock
12GB RAM
R9 380X 4GB
Win10
SSD

I guess that jibes with the official specs though.