Cutting sandwiches in half makes them more delicious.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i agree, i don't know why the hell this is but i always cut my sandwiches. Science will never be able to explain this phenomena.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
meh...avocados are ok on some sandwiches...but not many.

I LOVE puke-a-mole...if it's made right, but few places do a good job with it.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Cutting them diagonally makes them even better.

Also, people who cut grilled cheese sandwiches in half but not diagonally are surely going to hell.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I agree

45467418108049004682234.jpg

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
Truth. Diagonal cut is critical to sandwich effectiveness. I prefer to cut my sandwiches with a compound miter saw so that I can not only cut diagonally, but also on a bias for maximum flavor exposure.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
Your intuition is correct and it makes sense when you think about it...

Diagonally cut sandwiches are the best because we judge a sandwich by the first bite. A bite from the end contains mostly bread and you miss some of the condiments. Bite diagonally near the middle and it's a perfect mix of bread, meat, cheese, and condiments. So delicious are those first few bites that it doesn't matter your last one is mostly bread.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Your intuition is correct and it makes sense when you think about it...

Diagonally cut sandwiches are the best because we judge a sandwich by the first bite. A bite from the end contains mostly bread and you miss some of the condiments. Bite diagonally near the middle and it's a perfect mix of bread, meat, cheese, and condiments. So delicious are those first few bites that it doesn't matter your last one is mostly bread.

Honestly, that depends on how you construct the sandwich and the quality of bread it is made from. If you've been eating from the center of a well constructed sandwich it only gets better as you reach the end and the last bite is amazing and leaves you wanting just one more bite. I say, you've just never had a great sandwich!

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
Honestly, that depends on how you construct the sandwich and the quality of bread it is made from. If you've been eating from the center of a well constructed sandwich it only gets better as you reach the end and the last bite is amazing and leaves you wanting just one more bite. I say, you've just never had a great sandwich!

Good bread is key to a good sandwich. But I have a much greater sandwich eating experience when I go center and out, rather than outside and in. The bread ratio when plotted in a graph must be an upward slope for generating the maximum yummy factor.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
It was diagonal, on Sourdough. The angle makes it look round. And seriously, who doesn't like avocado? Epic fail. The sandwich was delicious, FYI.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
I agree, diagonal cut all the way as it exposes the maximum amount of a clean cut. I can't say I've ever seen it, but round bread makes every half cut the equivalent of a diagonal cut. If you're not cutting any sandwich through the center, then may God save your soul.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I've actually found making 2 of the same sandwiches and eating them back to back makes for the most possible deliciousness.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
This.

I freaking love avocados! They are especially good on cheeseburgers.

These people probably aren't used to having great tasting fresh avocados like we are. I steal them from my neighbors tree all the time and likewise they steal my lemons from my tree. Avocados taste good with any kind of meat.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
These people probably aren't used to having great tasting fresh avocados like we are. I steal them from my neighbors tree all the time and likewise they steal my lemons from my tree. Avocados taste good with any kind of meat.

Avocados are pretty good even when they aren't the freshest. At their worst, they do no damage, and just bulk the sandwich up. At their best, they're delicious.

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
I had a delicious grilled chicken and avocado sandwich for dinner. Cut diagonally, of course