Cut FIOS cable. Will I be charged?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
are you kidding?Call in a trouble report,a phone rat will come out and sling out a new temp wire,three weeks later another phone rat will bury it 2" deep and cut it over . It's all good.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Lov voltage cables may not be any less than 18", iirc.
120/240v direct burial cable may not be less than 24''.

My NEC book is in storage.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I ran crews of buried wire technicians for att.We went 6" IF we could.A lot of times we went much less.All depended on ground conditions,and the consumer.Some folks did not want a 4000lb vibratory ditchwitch plow on their manacured lawn,so we had to hand dig it,and that's when you get depths less than 6". In the southeast USA.It's different elsewhere,or so they say.On inspects in other states I would take out a 12" ruler and measure depth.Usually it was 6" or better.The plow we used(a ditchwitch 410) could bury a 5pair buried service wire 2' deep if needed,and had a trencher(2~4'deep)on the front of the machine for larger cables.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Debating whether I was a bonehead or verizon was lazy in burying their cable. I was prepping my lawn for new grass seed and cut the FIOS cable buried two inches down with an aerator. Will verizon charge me to fix it? If it costs me alot I think I will just cancel the service.

It was a piss poor instillation, but you might still be on the hook for it. The reason is that a lot of places have no low voltage codes.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It was a piss poor instillation, but you might still be on the hook for it. The reason is that a lot of places have no low voltage codes.

Running an aerator would be considered normal use and maintenance. It would be the same if the line was cut with a lawn mower.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Maybe it's different for fiber cable. Round here, they're burying new fiber cables 2-3" deep.

They've got some cheap method of doing it. They get a big diamond saw to cut a slot in the road, then drop the fiber in, then fill in the slot with some bitumen. Job done.

Slot saw
fiber1.jpg

Fiber installation
fiber2.jpg

JasonK

Jan 24, 2000

My NEC book is in storage.

There is no voltage in a FiOS drop cable running from a terminal to the ONT. Cable drop depth varies from city to city

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Ummm...guys....fiber optic is not subject to the same code as copper wire. It does not carry any current at all and the cable is non conductive.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Ummm...guys....fiber optic is not subject to the same code as copper wire. It does not carry any current at all and the cable is non conductive.

The jacket has a metal sheath to protect from animals. The same low voltage cable regs and grounding apply. Also called direct burial or armored fiber.

Mar 10, 2005
The jacket has a metal sheath to protect from animals. The same low voltage cable regs and grounding apply. Also called direct burial or armored fiber.

in my experience, armored cable prevents no damage and is a complete nightmare to work with. also, there's aluminum threads in any fiber cable there to make it detectable with a cable locator.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
in my experience, armored cable prevents no damage and is a complete nightmare to work with. also, there's aluminum threads in any fiber cable there to make it detectable with a cable locator.

Steel wire armor is an absolute bitch, makes the cable very heavy, difficult to terminate and expensive. The only real advantage is that it is pretty much impervious to rats. It still gets damaged by stones (especially in shallow trenches, where it lies above the frost line) and is easily damaged with digging equipment - even shovels and picks.

Proper heavy duty cable ducts have been much more reliable in my (very) limited experience.

Conductive threads aren't universal in fiber cables - there is a market for "all dielectric" fiber cables, which contain no metal or electrically conductive material at all. These are preferred in areas prone to electrical storms; they may also have a role in military use as they are very difficult to trace and are resistant to EMP.

Most outdoor fiber cables are at least partially conductive - either because they use a steel fiber tube, steel reinforcement wires for better pulling capability, or because they have steel anti-rodent armor. All of these features can be achieved with non-metallic materials if needed, by replacing the tubes with plastic, the reinforcement with aramid yarn (kevlar) or the metal armor with glass-reinforced plastic.

While a light duty fiber optic microduct might not be terribly robust, it's pretty easy to repair (even if the fiber replacement is expensive).

Last edited:

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I do this for a living and the code for communications cable under landscaped ground is .76m (~30 inches.) we generally stick to having at least 1m of cover (~40 inches).

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
It was a piss poor instillation, but you might still be on the hook for it. The reason is that a lot of places don't enforce or inspect any low voltage codes.
ftfy :sneaky:
I really do not have any recent experience with FIOS @ the industrial level and I can easily envision a scenario where they (a service provider or contractor) would just cover it with twigs and leaves and call it "OK!" o_O

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I do this for a living and the code for communications cable under landscaped ground is .76m (~30 inches.) we generally stick to having at least 1m of cover (~40 inches).
Yeah, but you're in Canadia, and as we all know, those people are just too damn reasonable. :sneaky: