Cut FIOS cable. Will I be charged?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Debating whether I was a bonehead or verizon was lazy in burying their cable. I was prepping my lawn for new grass seed and cut the FIOS cable buried two inches down with an aerator. Will verizon charge me to fix it? If it costs me alot I think I will just cancel the service.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Two inches down? That doesn't seem deep enough, especially if the cable wasn't marked.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Men will come to your house in the night and pound a blue stake through your heart.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Debating whether I was a bonehead or verizon was lazy in burying their cable. I was prepping my lawn for new grass seed and cut the FIOS cable buried two inches down with an aerator. Will verizon charge me to fix it? If it costs me alot I think I will just cancel the service.

Only 2in down, it probably wasn't to code to begin with. Check your local building codes and then call them with the information if they were at fault.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
Call DH tell them you will be aerating your lawn, they will tell you you are good to go.

THEN call verizon.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
ditto. 2 inches, if that's the real depth, then wtf.

It's been my experience that people laying cable will often take the easy way out - not burying cable to the proper depth - using tree branches and lamp posts to hold cable runs up high

IIRC it generally needs to be at least 6" down

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's been my experience that people laying cable will often take the easy way out - not burying cable to the proper depth - using tree branches and lamp posts to hold cable runs up high

IIRC it generally needs to be at least 6" down

hehe, seriously. Comcast laid my cable run in across a tree branch, eventually rubbed it open and I started having problems. Comcast had to fix the line, after I had the Utility Co. chop that branch down!

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

IIRC it generally needs to be at least 3 feet down

FTFY.

6 inches still isn't deep enough to bury a cable. Minimum of 1 foot, preferrably 2-3.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Call Verizon and say that you have problems with your service without mentioning your accident with the aerator. They will figure it out that there is a break somewhere in the cable.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I cut mine, but fixed it myself. You'd need compression fittings and waterPROOF tape (more like putty on a roll).

Mine aren't very far down either and run this way and that going from the house to the box in the front yard. I can only imagine there must have been a bunch of pallets laying all over the yard when they put in the cable and they had to a long way around them to lay the cable.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
Call Verizon and say that you have problems with your service without mentioning your accident with the aerator. They will figure it out that there is a break somewhere in the cable.

After he calls DH...

Look up the fines for cutting a buried cable, play it safe and make it looked like you did your due diligence.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
2 inches? Pfft. My cable company lifted up my sod and slid the cable underneath.

Needless to say, I had them redo it a week later (I wasn't home when they did it).

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
You cant tape the damn fiber together. They will not charge you. Bury depth is dependent on many things. Many times fiber is buried shallow in yards with irrigation as plastic pipes are non-locatable. Repairing sprinklers is costly.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It is their responsibility to maintain the line up to your home demarc (the box on the outside). However if you cut it while digging and it was buried at proper depth then it's your fault and you repair it.

In this case they didn't maintain proper depth and are responsible for repair.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Round here, the cable companies don't even bother burying the cable at all.

They're buried under the road/sidewalk, but as soon as they hit your land, the cable erupts out of the ground, and just runs along the surface to the house. Every single house on the road is the same.