crystal meth = terrorist WMD

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
AWESOME!

Frustrated by drug laws that he thought were not tough enough on methamphetamine producers, prosecutor Jerry Wilson decided to examine the books.

Wilson, the district attorney for Watauga County, and members of his staff started flipping through legal texts and precedents in the past few weeks until they found what they were looking for - a law with more teeth.

Instead of a drug law, though, Wilson turned to the state's antiterrorism laws when prosecuting accused methamphetamine producers. The laws, specifically a statute passed in November 2001, detail the penalties for manufacturing a nuclear or chemical weapon. Wilson's office filed what are believed to be the first charges using that law last week.

'We sat down and began looking for something more that we could use as a weapon against these people, and that's the statute we found,' Wilson said.

Since Wilson's decision other prosecutors have followed his lead and said that they will also prosecute methamphetamine producers under antiterrorism laws.

'The policy now will be that we will put B1 felonies on anyone having anything to do with methamphetamines. These things are very dangerous,' said Tom Keith, the district attorney in Forsyth County.

B1 felonies carry sentences ranging from 12 years to life in prison.

The first person who will be prosecuted under the antiterrorism laws is Martin Dwayne Miller, 24, of Todd. Miller was arrested July 11 and was charged with two counts of manufacturing a nuclear or chemical weapon, in connection with charges relating to methamphetamine production.Even if Miller were convicted of the most serious drug charge against him, he might have served only six months in prison, Wilson said.

To link the drug's production to chemical weapons, prosecutors referred to the toxic and combustible nature of the chemicals involved in methamphetamine production. They said that police officers and firemen who respond to calls involving the drug are at risk of serious injury, including lung damage.

Keith said he decided to use the antiterrorism laws after a visit last week to Ashe County, where he talked to drug-enforcement officials.

He said that the use of the antiterrorism law to stop the growth of methamphetamine laboratories is necessary to prevent problems that have plagued other states, including neighboring Tennessee.

'We're not going to let them get a foothold,' Keith said. 'If we catch them, we want to take their life away, put them away for as long as we can.'

In explaining his decision to use the antiterrorism law, Wilson called the current statute 'woefully insufficient to address the epidemic of clandestine methamphetamine laboratories that Watauga County is experiencing.' The county has had 24 labs raided this year.

Several defense lawyers, however, reacted to the news that prosecutors would use antiterrorism laws with a mix of skepticism and concern for the rights of the accused.

'It seems to me to be a real stretch of the imagination, that this would be covered under the antiterrorism law,' said Wallace Harrelson, the public defender in Guilford County. 'It seems to me that the antiterrorism law was designed with a specific purpose in mind, to prosecute people who are threatening to hurt the safety of the general public.'

Harrelson and others also said that they doubted whether a judge would allow prosecution under the law for drug-related activity that does not terrorize the public.

The law defines nuclear, biological or chemical weapons of mass destruction as, in part, 'any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and ... is or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors.'

Pete Clary, the public defender in Forsyth County, said that Wilson might be overstepping his bounds as a prosecutor.

'I think it's up to the legislature to decide whether the law is 'woefully insufficient,'' Clary said. 'The DA is charged with enforcing the laws on the books, not as he wishes they were.'

Wilson said that despite the legislature's intent in passing the law just two months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the text of the law is on his side.

'I understand the title of the statue is antiterrorism, but the statute is much more broad than that,' Wilson said. 'There's nothing in the statute that requires any organized terrorist effort. There's nothing in the statute that requires that these chemicals be used as a weapon.'

Keith said that the General Assembly has been slow in responding to an influx of drug manufacturers, and that legislators are hesitant to add prisoners to already-burgeoning prisons.

'I've probably got eight or 10 bills before the legislature,' Keith said. 'It is extremely difficult, with all the defense attorneys in the General Assembly, to get tougher bills passed when they also have to vote on prisons.'

Though they did not go as far as Keith in promising to prosecute methamphetamine producers under antiterrorism laws, district attorneys Stuart Albright of Guilford County and Garry Frank of Davidson County said they would consider such action if the facts of a case warranted it.

'He's a wonderful DA up in that neck up the woods, and the facts must've warranted the charge,' Albright said of Wilson's decision.

Albright also expressed confidence that the charge would hold up at trial.

'The person will either plead guilty, or we'll have a trial and a judge and jury will look at the case,' he said. 'Certainly I don't know how a DA could take their discretion too far if they either plead guilty or they're found guilty.'

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Crystal Meth is one horrible drug, given it's cheap availability and it's ability to inflict permanent damange onto someone, much worse than pot and even worse than coke or X.

But to classify it as a WMD is eventually going to get thrown out in a court sometime in the future. This stuff pisses me off to no end....

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Any jury that is convinced that methamptheamines quailfy as weapons and convicts that guy should be shot for stupidity.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Elemental007
Crystal Meth is one horrible drug, given it's cheap availability and it's ability to inflict permanent damange onto someone, much worse than pot and even worse than coke or X.

Not to mention it's addictive as hell!

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001

But to classify it as a WMD is eventually going to get thrown out in a court sometime in the future. This stuff pisses me off to no end....

why stop at meth? Tylenol owners should be subject to arrest because the acetometaphine is a chemical and could be used to aid terrorists with headaches.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau

check out the new on DVD movie: "SPUN" its nutts

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Give me a break. Meth qualifies as a WMD? I'll be the first to say that it is definitely not a good drug, but passing it off as a WMD based on the classification of WMDs is ridiculous.

By this logic, they should be making tobacco illegal since it meets the stipulation mentioned in the article: 'any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and ... is or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors.'

This is even stupider than the ads that link smoking pot to supporting terrrorism.

rolleye.gif

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred
Any jury that is convinced that methamptheamines quailfy as weapons and convicts that guy should be shot for stupidity.

Due to the wording of the law, it doesnt have to be a weapon

"'any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors"

If I recall correctly crystal meth is made of toxic and poisonous chemicals.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I think its justified trying to get tougher sentences for the producers, just a shame this is the way they're doin git. Not that they seem to have all that much of a choice.
6 months, or hit them for 12 years (they'd probably get out after less) the punishment is much tougher, and makes sense to try and stop production.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm

"'any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors"

ephedrine is one of the main ingredients so now all gas staiton owners are terrorists.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Encryptic
Give me a break. Meth qualifies as a WMD? I'll be the first to say that it is definitely not a good drug, but passing it off as a WMD based on the classification of WMDs is ridiculous.

By this logic, they should be making tobacco illegal since it meets the stipulation mentioned in the article: 'any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and ... is or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors.'

rolleye.gif

Again under the law it doesnt have to be a weapon. Its part of anti-terror laws. It seems to be a wide ranging law. And if argued properly the DA does have a leg to stand on.

Tobacco isnt an illegal drug. Crystal meth is. So its a bit different.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: gigapet

ephedrine is one of the main ingredients so now all gas staiton owners or terrorists.

Are gas station owners, mixing and cooking crystal meth? No. This is about the people that make the stuff, not the people that use it.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

By that definition, Clorox execs should be rotting in jail for making bleach.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Beau

check out the new on DVD movie: "SPUN" its nutts

No need. I've done it. Loved it, for the clarity it gives you, but it's scary as hell how bad you crave it and how much it takes to keep you high. When you come down from it, you can actually feel it killing you slowly.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001

the fact that he is bending really powerful laws for that is scary to me.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

rolleye.gif

Again under the law it doesnt have to be a weapon. Its part of anti-terror laws. It seems to be a wide ranging law. And if argued properly the DA does have a leg to stand on.

Tobacco isnt an illegal drug. Crystal meth is. So its a bit different.

If they can positively link meth to supporting terrorism, then I'll take their arguments a little more seriously. However, my point was that tobacco does technically fall into this category (causes death, full of toxins, etc.), as do a lot of other substances that are legal.

yea! SWEET! Lets make it so our prison system is even MORE crowded than it already is!

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Did anyone read the article? Everyone is getting pissy that Meth is being treated as a WMD. It is the Meth LAB that is the WMD...

I am basically pro legalization of most drugs or at least decriminalization, but meth is evil and meth labs are just bombs waiting to go off. I am all for this type of prosecution, but I agree with Elemental007
who said this approach my lead to supreme court appeals down the road...

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: PatboyX

dont worry though they wont abuse the all encompassing patriot act for things similar to this.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

dont worry though they wont abuse the all encompassing patriot act for things similar to this.

And if you believe that, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you...
rolleye.gif

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001

And if you believe that, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you...
rolleye.gif

is it near a large sized bridge???

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Cigarettes
Diet Coke

hmmmmm

This D.A. should be spending his time to make harsher sentences for meth criminals instead grasping at straws.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you could prosecute proctor and gamble under that statute!