Crysis gets 98% from PC GAMER! (9.5 from gamespot and 9.4 from IGN)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: hooflung
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Originally posted by: Pugnate
Originally posted by: Perry404
Anything above 95% would require the game to have weapons as accurate as CS:S and a world as open ended as Oblivion. I doubt this is so in either case. Yes even decent gaming mags can get carried away with a title.

CS:S had accurate weapons? Don't make me laugh.

Are you serious? Tell me a game that had more realistic weapons so I can buy it. Game like farcry & Halflife 2 had weapons that are fun but were really more like toys. CS:S weapons are a sweet spot in gaming.

Try something like a Rainbow Six game.

:thumbsup:

Yeah serious, second post in this thread and its about how dumb comments made by some people are. CS:S where my pump shotty is the best sniper in the game especially when I am running side ways, seconded by the MP4 with silencer on, thirdly by the deagle.

Remember i never said any of them were realistic but we are talking about what is closest to realistic.
You believe farcry has more realistic weapons than CS:S?
How about try going into the real world and firing a real firearm. Might want to start with a .22 since your little mouse arm probably can't handle much more then that to start with.:D

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: hooflung
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Anything above 95% would require the game to have weapons as accurate as CS:S and a world as open ended as Oblivion. I doubt this is so in either case. Yes even decent gaming mags can get carried away with a title.

CS:S had accurate weapons? Don't make me laugh.

Are you serious? Tell me a game that had more realistic weapons so I can buy it. Game like farcry & Halflife 2 had weapons that are fun but were really more like toys. CS:S weapons are a sweet spot in gaming.

Try something like a Rainbow Six game.

:thumbsup:

Yeah serious, second post in this thread and its about how dumb comments made by some people are. CS:S where my pump shotty is the best sniper in the game especially when I am running side ways, seconded by the MP4 with silencer on, thirdly by the deagle.

Remember i never said any of them were realistic but we are talking about what is closest to realistic.
You believe farcry has more realistic weapons than CS:S?
How about try going into the real world and firing a real firearm. Might want to start with a .22 since your little mouse arm probably can't handle much more then that to start with.:D

Brothers in Arms and OpFlash are two of the more realistically-inclined games I've come across when it comes to firearms handling.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
imo crysis is overated but is still a good game. the game looks little like the original so-called "screenshots" posted on the internet.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I was just playing this at a friends house.
The game is fun but the enemy damage is way way off.
I don't know if its just the later levels, or what.
Emptying a clip per enemy soldier is ridiculous.
Its like they all are wearing their own suits.

Oh and I picked up a frog and tossed it, it floated in the air and slowly kept floating up into the sky :)
Was going to toss it at a korean. Oh well.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Modelworks

Emptying a clip in an enemy? How do you do that, is there an M1 Garand in the game?

I would think that with the weapons in this game you would be emptying magazines into the enemy.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Considering it was a pistol, or rather two pistols, that took down two enemies, by emptying two clips. 2/1 = 1 clip per enemy.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Considering it was a pistol, or rather two pistols, that took down two enemies, by emptying two clips. 2/1 = 1 clip per enemy.

I am just saying I have never seen a pistol that takes clips before, besides some specialty revolvers. It must be a strange design.

You would think they would use pistols that take magazines. They would hold more rounds, and be easier to re-load.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Well I just finished the game a few minutes ago.

I really liked it, but it has its problems, technical problems.

One of the first things I've noticed is about the A.I. The North Korean soldiers A.I cannot climb ladders. Not a problem you say ? Well, I sure as hell exploited that advantage (or disadvantaged depending on how you look at it). You know those sniper outposts ? So, usually when I saw one of those and I knew there were a couple of soldiers around I went cloaked, climbed the ladder (by the way climbing ladders doesn't decrease your suit's power fast at all, it's similar to crouching), killed the sniper (if I hadn't earlier), then got Maximum Armor and starting firing at the helpless soldiers below. Now, of course, they spot me and properly shoot at me, but as soon as I prone you can hear them "Where is he ?!", "He must be near !", "Die you Yankee pig !". Well ... I thought "alright, maybe that's not smart, they'll climb up there, but at least I can take them down one by one as they climb up".

Nah ... fast enough I realized that the A.I cannot climb ladders at all. So each time I could, I climbed up a sniper outpost and took as many soldiers as I could. That really did disappointed me. I thought "hey, if the A.I in a game like Halo 2 can climb ladders, why not in Crysis, after all it's a next-generation game". Well that's wrong. I have to admit one thing here, in that Crysis IS a next-generation game but only in terms of graphics. The rest, well ... it has its good moments, it really does, but it also has bad moments, very bad ones.

And I encountered a few bugs, including one nasty bug at the last level. I won't describe what has to be done, but at one point I literally kept clipping inside the surface I stood on, and eventually ended up in a dark void, constantly falling AND losing health in the process, so I had of course to restart the mission from the last check point. And that forced me to constantly save as I progressed in the battles. And, again, the A.I on the boats especially in the first level often got stuck on rocks nearby beaches on their paths. And a few others.

Overall I liked it. In fact I do believe it's quite better than FarCry, however I believe that "professional" reviewers got paid very well to spit out the positives and almost ignore or diminish the importance of particular issues. It IS over-rated, I must say it, I just had to, BUT that does NOT suddenly make the game a bad game. I could play the single-player again without problems, which is where it shines. If I take a game like Half-Life, I just can't play it again and again and again, because it's SO scripted that it literally make my PC spit out linearity out of its USB ports. At least Crysis allows the player to approach a good number of missions in different ways and complete them with different results.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006

Oh and I picked up a frog and tossed it, it floated in the air and slowly kept floating up into the sky :)
Was going to toss it at a korean. Oh well.

Go for the head shots. 1 takes them down every time. I hardly even use the Precision Rifle because

1. The FY47 (or whatever) is just as accurate.

2. The PR can't use a silencer; if you hit with a headshot on a silenced assault rifle, the soldiers aren't alerted.

I do like the effect that shooting helmets has, though. But I'm disappointed that I can't shoot enemies through objects like in CoD4.

Feb 6, 2007
My mini-review:

The first thing you notice about this game is obviously the visuals, and with good reason; the previews back in March/April showed visuals that asbolutely blew away anything that had ever been seen in a videogame before. While the actual finished product may not look quite as good as those early previews seemed to indicate, this is, bar none, the best looking game I have ever played. Sure, it brings my system to its knees, which is not easy to do: C2D at 3 GHz, 8800GTX, 2 GB RAM, Audigy 2 ZS, Raptor HDD, etc. But this game looks so absolutely phenomenal with eye-candy enabled that I'm willing to forego high framerates for jaw dropping visuals (1920x1080 all settings on high gets roughly 25 fps on average). The way the water moves, the light beams that move through water or foliage, buildings that collapse on top of you, forests you can shoot down, and some of the best explosion effects ever... this game is visually stunning.

Once you get past the graphics, which I admit, I haven't fully, one must ask if the game is any good. And I would say the answer is a resounding "yes." The game is linear, but the wide open areas keep it from having that "on rails" feeling that plagues other FPSes (particularly games that rely heavily on corridors like F.E.A.R. or Doom). The story is engaging, though if you were bothered by the supernatural elements of Far-Cry (the Trigen), prepare for more of the same. The supportnig cast does fine, although they seem to exist primarily to up the body count. It's hard to feel any remorse at their passing, since you are with them so infrequently. Perhaps if your collaboration with your team had played a more central role, I could see how they could play a better part in a cohesive story and generate some emotion. But this would ruin the nature of the game, a one man army show where you can singlehandedly defeat entire bases of people.

The addition of the nanosuit seems gimmicky at first, but the usefulness of the functions is soon appreciated. The game forces you to use the suit at certain points, which is not clever so much as annoying (oh look, a giant wall is blocking my path, guess I'll have to strong jump up), but figuring out how to infiltrate a base and neutralize the guards using the powers of the suit offers a key gameplay upgrade over Far-Cry. And let's be quite clear, this game plays a whole hell of a lot like Far-Cry. But given how well that title played, that's certainly not a complaint.

The game is not without its share of problems. Many of the enemies seem to have unnatural levels of health. On the easiest difficulty setting, Korean army soldiers can take over ten rounds to go down. That's a bit ludicrous. Fortunately, thanks to buggy AI, they aren't too difficult to take down. Don't get me wrong; the AI seems, on the whole, to be very, very good; they use coordinated tactics, they will move to flank you, and if you use your cloak, they will continue investigating and firing at the position they last saw you. But the AI will occasionally run into walls, run directly at you without firing, or seem to see you through walls. They also don't climb ladders, so raining grenades down from a sniper's nest is one of the more effective tactics against swarms of enemies. There are some graphical glitches, though most are probably caused by my own refusal to tone down the settings, as I want to enjoy the full graphical splendor this game has to offer (without DirectX 10, that's impossible, but I can't imagine much they could have done to improve it). The faults of this game are actually not as bad as the faults of the initial Far-Cry release; that game took several patches to get to full working condition. I imagine the same will be true of Crysis.

Does Crysis live up to the hype? Well, that's a difficult question. On the one hand, you had developers showing screenshots like this and telling us we could get those visuals out of our computers. Turns out, that was a somewhat "optimistic" prediction (maybe you can with an absolutely top of the line system at about 2 fps, but not under playable settings). Then again, the developers did deliver the best graphics available today, so it's hard to fault them for that. The bottom line is if you liked Far-Cry, you will like Crysis. If not, you probably won't. Since Crysis was hyped as "Far-Cry 2" by myriads of people, myself included, I think it absolutely has lived up to the hype. Crytek has proven themselves once again with a visually stunning, exciting FPS.