Crysis gets 98% from PC GAMER! (9.5 from gamespot and 9.4 from IGN)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Huh, IGN mentions that enemies only chatter in Korea in Delta difficulty. But the thing is I know Korean so I still know what they are going to do/doing.

Ah, that's awesome.

A while back I would have scoffed at a 10 hour long game. Now, it's actually pretty reasonable, maybe even "long", for an FPS so I'm ok with that. I'll try to pick it up tomorrow or Thursday if I feel like it. Hopefully I'll be able to run at full medium (aim low...) with the more optimized retail version.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Imp
Huh, IGN mentions that enemies only chatter in Korea in Delta difficulty. But the thing is I know Korean so I still know what they are going to do/doing.

Ah, that's awesome.

A while back I would have scoffed at a 10 hour long game. Now, it's actually pretty reasonable, maybe even "long", for an FPS so I'm ok with that. I'll try to pick it up tomorrow or Thursday if I feel like it. Hopefully I'll be able to run at full medium (aim low...) with the more optimized retail version.

Play times they designate mean very little anyway. It's all in how you play the game. It took me a year to beat both Doom III & Halflife 2 because i play on difficult, take my time, play conservative and soak up every area & encounter for all it's worth. If I get into a scary spot when the lights are out I'll turn off the game and relish the creepy fun I'm having. In this way I get my monies worth in all titles. Sitting down and blowing through something like crysis in ten hours is an absolute waste imo. You have to stop and smell the roses.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Perry404

Ah, that's awesome.

Play times they designate mean very little anyway. It's all in how you play the game. It took me a year to beat both Doom III & Halflife 2 because i play on difficult, take my time, play conservative and soak up every area & encounter for all it's worth. If I get into a scary spot when the lights are out I'll turn off the game and relish the creepy fun I'm having. In this way I get my monies worth in all titles. Sitting down and blowing through something like crysis in ten hours is an absolute waste imo. You have to stop and smell the roses.

yep. played the demo thru running around and shooting everthing the first time and was done with it very quickly. 2nd time i played it w/o using my weapon much and it took me a lot longer. I had more fun 2nd time around

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Ah, that's awesome.

that's how I play too, very conservatively. I am LOVING the cloak option of the nano-suit, fits my play style perfectly. I'll scope out the situation, see how many enemies there appears to be, judge my ability to live if I engage, and either engage or don't engage, and continue to pop in and out of cloak. I rarely get close enough to melee or fisticuff, so strength isn't used much beyond extreme jumping. Speed, again, very rare, I prefer to sneak with cloak versus sprint all exposed and whatnot.
This game will definitely take longer than 10-15 hours for me. If I ever finish it, because I never finish games. lol

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Aharami

Ah, that's awesome.

yep. played the demo thru running around and shooting everthing the first time and was done with it very quickly. 2nd time i played it w/o using my weapon much and it took me a lot longer. I had more fun 2nd time around

Can't say I put as much time into "savouring" the moment as the rest of you do, but when I went through the demo, the suit options definately made me redo stuff. Certain areas I just reloaded (ok fine, I died), I spent extra time using a different augmentation to redo something.

However, for a lot of recent stuff I've played, it just seemed like they were dragging it out longer than necessary. I just wanted it to end. I'm probably getting jaded. Hope I don't feel this way with Crysis.

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
If it has 10 quality hours I'm all for it. A lot of shooters these days are clearly padded just to extend the playing time. The end result is just tedious redundancy (vehicles in Half Life 2 anyone?) that I could have really done without.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Anyone else think the mercenaries in Far Cry were way cooler than the lame-o Koreans? The mercs had all those sweet quotes and bad-ass attitude. The Koreans are pussies in comparison.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: SonicIce
Anyone else think the mercenaries in Far Cry were way cooler than the lame-o Koreans? The mercs had all those sweet quotes and bad-ass attitude. The Koreans are pussies in comparison.

Not really. Koreans make it seem more "realistic". The mercs were too "go to" as an enemy when you didn't want to piss anyone off; kinda like neo-nazis.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

I agree. The campy over-the-top one-liners (YER ASS IS GRASS! :D) is a good portion of what made Far Cry a classic. If the full game is as fun as the demo it won't matter to me, though.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy

I agree. The campy over-the-top one-liners (YER ASS IS GRASS! :D) is a good portion of what made Far Cry a classic. If the full game is as fun as the demo it won't matter to me, though.

I suspect that Crysis will not surpass Far Cry when it comes to camp and funny/interesting characters, which was a big part of its success.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

I suspect that Crysis will not surpass Far Cry when it comes to camp and funny/interesting characters, which was a big part of its success.

"YOU GOT NOTHIN ON ME! "
"So you want me to blow something up to take their attention away from the other thing I blew up. Brilliant."

Far Cry 2 looks like it will have some good dialoge since it has alot of interaction with the characters. It just looks like a more creative and fun game than Crysis :Q.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

you did play through the demo, right?

"just when did the north koreans get themselves a muthafuckin freeze ray?" -jester

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

"just when did the north koreans get themselves a muthafuckin freeze ray?" -jester

Oh I forgot about that. Yea the teammates are pretty cool. I will withhold judgement until I play the full game through on a good pc.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Pugnate
Anything above 95% would require the game to have weapons as accurate as CS:S and a world as open ended as Oblivion. I doubt this is so in either case. Yes even decent gaming mags can get carried away with a title.

CS:S had accurate weapons? Don't make me laugh.

Are you serious? Tell me a game that had more realistic weapons so I can buy it. Game like farcry & Halflife 2 had weapons that are fun but were really more like toys. CS:S weapons are a sweet spot in gaming.

Try something like a Rainbow Six game.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
1up gave an 8/10. after reading the review, it sounds like that's pretty fair. thought i'd have to play the game all the way through first.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Anything above 95% would require the game to have weapons as accurate as CS:S and a world as open ended as Oblivion. I doubt this is so in either case. Yes even decent gaming mags can get carried away with a title.

Are you serious? Tell me a game that had more realistic weapons so I can buy it. Game like farcry & Halflife 2 had weapons that are fun but were really more like toys. CS:S weapons are a sweet spot in gaming.

:thumbsup:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

My favorite line in Far Cry was "I'm going to shoot you in the face!"

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Its an EA title, that kills it for me.
That and they are using gamespy for the multiplayer.
Its nothing really new, hunt aliens, kill aliens, blow up stuff.

I'm waiting for UT3.

Crysis is the same old thing to you, but UT3 isn't? Not that I don't like the series but they are hardly known for innovation.

Yeah... what a flawed argument LOL. UT3... where the gameplay takes you back to 1999 and tosses in a bit of 2003 with it.

However, I disagree with PC gamer magazine about the emergent gameplay. When I see emergent gameplay being used I am thinking something cool that the developers never intended but is icing on the cake. Nothing I've seen in Crysis Demo is emergent, it's simply the way the game was built to be, albeit it is pretty fun.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: adairusmc

:thumbsup:

Yeah serious, second post in this thread and its about how dumb comments made by some people are. CS:S where my pump shotty is the best sniper in the game especially when I am running side ways, seconded by the MP4 with silencer on, thirdly by the deagle.

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
I'm kinda having 2nd thoughts on buying Crysis now, after watching the ending on Youtube it looks like they put a lot of elements from Halo/Half-Life/Far Cry in a mixing bowl and baked a cake with some new effects and singing candles and called it Crysis lol.

I don't know if the eye candy alone will make me feel better, maybe it was that FPS detox course I took? lol!

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

I dunno, I'd say "I kill you for fun" and "Yankee Shankee!!!", in a heavy Korean accent are pretty campy.

Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

Don't forget about the hand jestures that go along with Jester's speech. I like they way Crytek gave the squad members not only different dialog/accents, but different body language too.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Icepick
How reputable is PC Gamer for their reviews? I don't frequent that site so am not sure how much stock to put into this rating. Are they one of those sites that do a lot of advertising for video games and, thus, have something to gain or lose from the rating that they give?

PC Gamer is run by Future Publications. Thanks to free subs, I've been receiving their rag for probably 4-5 years. A lot of people like them, but PC Gamer hides some dirty little secrets...

PC Gamer reviews A LOT of games exclusively, just lately they've had the exclusive scoops on Hellgate, Orange Box, Crysis, and some others. Funny thing is, they've had the reviews in the magazines and on shelves before the games have even gone gold. In fact, one of the screenshots from their Orange box review specifically shows bug reporting text that you would normally only see in the beta version of a game.

From what I understand, some magazine companies will trade off getting an exclusive review of a game for giving that game a score in a certain range, like if Publisher XXX went to magazine XXX and said, "We'll let you get the exclusive review on game XXX, but you will have to give it at least a 90%." Does PC Gamer do this? I dunno, but it seems suspicious at best that they are printing reviews of beta software in their magazine to the point where they pull actual opinions and screenshots from unfinished code.

It's worrisome to say the least, and has made me less than trusting of the PC Gamer scores over the last couple of years, as well as other Future Publications such as Maximum PC. It's pretty sad actually, because these used to be the 2 publications I swore by, but I guess you grow up and start to notice things.