Cryptocoin Mining?

Page 392 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
Same here. So don't hit yourself too hard over this.
TC 12288 (normally its 28500), but anything above -i 13 gives me HW.
For a grand total of 270 kh/s. (R9 290)

It's proly the color of our case, or something equally stupid.

Mine aren't in a case. =P

What happens if you try my config? Is yours a 290 or 290X?

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Mine aren't in a case. =P

What happens if you try my config? Is yours a 290 or 290X?

Save yourself some time.
I tried everything... and gave up.
Came few days later tried more of everything( different miner versions, all kinds of settings - same result)

-i > 13 gives me HW.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Any chance you'd be willing to make a suggestion? My current config (highest I've been able to get each card to run, Win7 64-bit, latest SDK/AMD drivers, 299KH/s each) is follows:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 200
setx GPU_OBJECTS_SYNC 1
cgminer --scrypt -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-threads 1 --thread-concurrency 9499 --gpu-powertune 20 -v 1 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-engine 1050 --auto-fan --temp-overheat 83 --temp-cutoff 85

Shouldn't that MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT line be "100", not "200"?

As for the other settings, I have:
--intensity 17 --worksize 256 -g 1 --thread-concurrency 27000 --gpu-powertune 30

So I don't include --lookup-gap, --gpu-threads, -v (whatever that is), and my -g is at "1" instead of "2" in your config. Machine is AMD FX6100 with 8gb RAM, Win7 x64 SP1, 3x290s at 925/1250 getting 400kh/s each. I'm using the modded cgminer with Cats 13.11 beta 9.5. Try removing the stuff that's not in my config, delete the .bin files from the cgminer directory also and try again. Hope it helps.

EDIT: TC is probably a bit different for you though since your cards are 290X models rather than my 290 non-X models. I basically took the TC setting that someone else had posted in the bitcointalk settings thread for his 290 and it has worked for me.

Last edited:

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Anyone know how to CPU mine Foxcoin without the Foxcoin wallet? I forgot what program to use... Going to mine some tonight at school. Hopefully.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I bought some Kitteh at .00000040 and .00000039. Cost me .1195 BTC. Sold 300,000 of that at .0000008 for .24 BTC. Awesome.

wowsza

Feb 5, 2014
It took me about a 10 weeks to break even on my $1k video card investment. But I would definitely be reluctant to invest another $1k into GPUs at this stage.

same, and i wouldn't have broken in had it not been for that spike in dogecoin price about two weeks ago. i bought three 7970's yesterday night though, kind of regretting it now but i guess i could always resell them

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
Anyone know how to CPU mine Foxcoin without the Foxcoin wallet? I forgot what program to use... Going to mine some tonight at school. Hopefully.

minerd is a CPU scrypt miner if my memory serves me correctly.

At school? As in on school's computers? :eek:

Let me know how it goes. I might switch my CPUs over from XPM to Fox.

Seaneboy

Jan 27, 2014
That's an overly optimistic calculation that doesn't factor in continuous exponential difficulty increases and a reduction of profitability that would result. Nor the continuous volatility in prices of whatever scrypt or N-factor coin you would mine.

Best to buy for gaming first, then treat any "profit" you make back as gravy. Payoff could be 2 months if he's lucky but it could also be never.

Well, I am definitely doing that- I want this thing to game on.. But, I figure, while I'm at work, and while I sleep (perhaps) I would mine on it. There's also the fact that I don't pay the electric bill, my business does. But still, one way or another, I still pay.

However, I am thinking more along the lines of.. I would start with (1) 290 for gaming, but if I was going to mine, and eventually see a return (even 6 months), then I would go for (3) off the bat just for fun...

Here's the other question.. If I am going watercooled on this rig, is the pump/fan combo going to blow my electrical consumption out of the water? Or will it be the same/slightly more/just quieter?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Here's the other question.. If I am going watercooled on this rig, is the pump/fan combo going to blow my electrical consumption out of the water? Or will it be the same/slightly more/just quieter?

You might actually be the same because a cooler running card consumes less power. I think I saw in another thread where a watercooled 290 was consuming 20-30w less at ~60C than it was at the 95C of the stock cooling. And 20-30w would be about what a pump and fan would consume I think if the pump is not ridiculously powerful.

wowsza

Feb 5, 2014
anyone having issues with cryptsy (besides the site being slow as usual)?

i traded dogecoin into BTC, and now i have a NEGATIVE balance:mad:

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
6Lojp.png

Good god.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
VTC tanking. I guess I'll wait for it to bottom out and just pick up some with BTC instead of mining more. Time to switch the remaining rigs back to DOGE.

Edit: Or not - both DOGE and VTC rising again. We'll see if it holds but I'll just split 50/50 and not worry about which one is more profitable.

Last edited:

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
minerd is a CPU scrypt miner if my memory serves me correctly.

At school? As in on school's computers? :eek:

Let me know how it goes. I might switch my CPUs over from XPM to Fox.
Ya... But it got blocked lol. Mining on my laptop right now. Only 75C according to Core Temp.

What's weird is CPUminer is reporting a hash and that everything is working, but Luckyminers isn't.

Last edited:

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Bizarre problem today. So I move my miner from underneath my workbench to shelf next to it. The power is routed the same 'wall socket' --> 'ext. cord' --> 'kill-a-watt' --> 'power cord' --> 'TR-700 PSU'

I get it mining again and after 20 or so minutes I notice a burning plastic smell. We find the source, the ENTIRE POWER CORD going into the PSU is basically melting/smoking. Just the "sheath/cord", not the adapters @ either end. It's now a nice smooth shiny black where it didn't completely melt off!

czj2.jpg

So far, I've swapped power cords, PSUs, wall sockets (confirmed different circuits in the house), removed the ext. cord & kill-a-watt and, no matter what, the power cord always slowly heats up. After about a minute it's noticeably hotter.

So... it's my motherboard or the GPUs causing a short only in the power cord?!?!?! I guess I'll try each GPU individually and see what happens.... what the f%$k.

Last edited:

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
VTC tanking. I guess I'll wait for it to bottom out and just pick up some with BTC instead of mining more. Time to switch the remaining rigs back to DOGE.

Edit: Or not - both DOGE and VTC rising again. We'll see if it holds but I'll just split 50/50 and not worry about which one is more profitable.

There seems to be a strong belief that vertcoin is what bitcoin/LTC should have been in the sense that ASICS/multipools centralize too much of the hashing power. Obviously I'm guessing just like anyone else, but I can see it its value matching LTC. It's going to go up and down over the next while I'm sure as its value goes up and people think "it isnt going higher than this!" and dumping it.

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
So what does one achieve by DDOSing a pool server?

less competition, lower difficulty, more coins for other pools/solo miners I guess. But it's too bad people can't do something more productive with their time :( I'm sure all it causes people to do is jump to other pools and really has little to no effect on the difficulty in the long run.