Credit problems - Bank Account Restrained

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: Caecus Veritas

first thing i'd do is go into the branch and talk to the manager. find out exactly what the problem is before doing anything else.

Absolutely. A bank doesn't just freeze peoples assets because a lawyer wrote them a letter. They will have some sort of court order telling them to do so. With that info you can find out exactly what and who they say that your mother owes and decide a course of action from there.

I still seems odd though. I couldn't imagine my bank freezing all of my accounts, including my safe deposit box which mostly holds my insurance documents, without at least notifying me of exactly why they where doing so.

Not even remotely true. There are so many little tricks in place already that it's impossible to know them all. I've had accounts frozen multiple times, and even had the accounts of family members frozen, all without ever once having any involved party talking to a judge. There are a number of agencies with that power and banks will ALL defer to them completely. If you put your money in a bank you have absolutely no control over it. That's why I haven't used a bank in many years, and absolutely never will again.

That being said this sounds like a scummy credit company and mimics something I've gone thru with AFNI (the single most evil collection agency in the free world today). You can eventually beat them, but it takes a LOT of work.

I looked up FUD in the dictionary and this post was already there :Q

*shrug* I realize most people (99%) will probably never have issues...but some of us have - and thru absolutely no fault of our own. It CAN happen. Not saying it's likely, but it can.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
There are so many little tricks in place already that it's impossible to know them all. I've had accounts frozen multiple times, and even had the accounts of family members frozen, all without ever once having any involved party talking to a judge.
Is this a true statement? :confused:

May 16, 2000

first thing i'd do is go into the branch and talk to the manager. find out exactly what the problem is before doing anything else.

Absolutely. A bank doesn't just freeze peoples assets because a lawyer wrote them a letter. They will have some sort of court order telling them to do so. With that info you can find out exactly what and who they say that your mother owes and decide a course of action from there.

I still seems odd though. I couldn't imagine my bank freezing all of my accounts, including my safe deposit box which mostly holds my insurance documents, without at least notifying me of exactly why they where doing so.

Not even remotely true. There are so many little tricks in place already that it's impossible to know them all. I've had accounts frozen multiple times, and even had the accounts of family members frozen, all without ever once having any involved party talking to a judge. There are a number of agencies with that power and banks will ALL defer to them completely. If you put your money in a bank you have absolutely no control over it. That's why I haven't used a bank in many years, and absolutely never will again.

That being said this sounds like a scummy credit company and mimics something I've gone thru with AFNI (the single most evil collection agency in the free world today). You can eventually beat them, but it takes a LOT of work.

I don?t know anyone that knows anyone that has ever had a bank account frozen. How in the hell have you and your family had them frozen multiple times ??? Sounds like ya?ll need to get right with Uncle Sam.

Regardless, you are simply wrong. My wife works at a bank. I just talked to the regional manager, who is a friend of ours, and she said that without a court order or an order from the IRS (they don?t need to go through the courts) they can not and will not freeze a bank account. A creditor must obtain a judgment in order to have your bank freeze your account.

Even if it was legal, the bank is not going to take on that kind of civil liability on the word of some jacklegged lawyer. If that lawyer is wrong the bank opens itself up to a huge civil lawsuit. A tort lawyer would be foaming at the mouth to get a case like that because of the absurd amount of damages that you could claim from having your bank account and safe deposit box frozen.

First off, fvck off telling me I'm in the wrong when you don't know a god damned thing about it. Second, I already said most people would never be in the situation, but it can happen - so you not having first or second hand experience with it really doesn't mean a thing.

My brother is a bank VP as well (well credit union now, but he was at a bank before that). He was as shocked as we all were, but after looking into it agreed that it's just one of those things that can happen when everything falls just wrong.

In my case I am divorced and my ex is an expert at manipulating people to her will. She managed to con DSHS into seizing my father's bank accounts (as well as my own) claiming that I was giving all my money (which didn't exist) to my father and then letting him pay for everything (mind you I was not delinquent on child support at the time, she was just angry that I had managed to get my amount reduced and knew he had lots of money). They (DSHS) ordered the accounts seized and it happened without first notifying us, and without ANY contact with a judge. After it was done we received notice that the money had been taken and if we didn't agree we could go to court at our own expense, which we did. Immediately after filing the banks release the accounts but the money was forfeited to DSHS and was never returned...instead being applied to future child support payments. Let me reiterate that: my fathers money was taken out of his account by DSHS without me being delinquent and was applied to my FUTURE child support payments. The judge told us that because I had signed on my fathers accounts (in order to streamline being the executor of his will should he die) the accounts were associated with me and could be lawfully seized by any actions against me. They also said that because I had gone into delinquency previously (while I was in the process of having the amount reduced) DSHS had reason to require guarantee of payments and so agreed that they could seize my accounts at any time without requiring further court action, as well as maintaining a lien on my vehicle. The fact that I had already won in court and had all past due balances eradicated, and that I was current on my new payment schedule, was utterly meaningless.

As for the second time it was a creditor, not a state agency, and it was a little different. My ex was given full ownership and responsibility for our car in the divorce. She ended up getting the car repossessed. I was never notified about any of it. One day I tried to draw money and all my accounts were frozen, all my money seized. The collection agency had gone to court, received a judgment against me, and had gotten them seized. Again, without making any attempt to contact me. They had contacted my ex initially who had told them that I was the primary signer on the loan but had fled and was un-contactable. When I contacted them and explained the situation they were very nice about it, but refused to change anything. No action was ever taken against her; despite being the second signer on the car loan AND having full responsibility for the vehicle assigned in the divorce, not to mention lying to them. That was 8 years ago and they still have the judgment against me, with absolutely no action against my ex. So technically they did talk to a judge, but I wasn't a part of the process and the whole affair was conducted under false pretenses.

Furthermore since changes instituted by Bushco there are a whole new kind of seizures possible, some of which have been widely publicized. This is all despite the total innocence of the people involved.

Long story short, people have no power or rights, and any attempt to seek justice will cost you more than you'll earn. Easier just to not put yourself in a position where you can be exploited.

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001
This whole thread reeks. Bad info from OP and bad input from posters.

It is obvious that OP doesn't have all the facts and that some of the ones giving advice have no idea what they are talking about...LOL.

First thing I would do is walk into the bank and speak to the manager to see the order 'in person' which he used to freeze the accounts.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I don?t know anyone that knows anyone that has ever had a bank account frozen. How in the hell have you and your family had them frozen multiple times ??? Sounds like ya?ll need to get right with Uncle Sam.

Regardless, you are simply wrong. My wife works at a bank. I just talked to the regional manager, who is a friend of ours, and she said that without a court order or an order from the IRS (they don?t need to go through the courts) they can not and will not freeze a bank account. A creditor must obtain a judgment in order to have your bank freeze your account.

Even if it was legal, the bank is not going to take on that kind of civil liability on the word of some jacklegged lawyer. If that lawyer is wrong the bank opens itself up to a huge civil lawsuit. A tort lawyer would be foaming at the mouth to get a case like that because of the absurd amount of damages that you could claim from having your bank account and safe deposit box frozen.

First off, fvck off telling me I'm in the wrong when you don't know a god damned thing about it. Second, I already said most people would never be in the situation, but it can happen - so you not having first or second hand experience with it really doesn't mean a thing.

My brother is a bank VP as well (well credit union now, but he was at a bank before that). He was as shocked as we all were, but after looking into it agreed that it's just one of those things that can happen when everything falls just wrong.

In my case I am divorced and my ex is an expert at manipulating people to her will. She managed to con DSHS into seizing my father's bank accounts (as well as my own) claiming that I was giving all my money (which didn't exist) to my father and then letting him pay for everything (mind you I was not delinquent on child support at the time, she was just angry that I had managed to get my amount reduced and knew he had lots of money). They (DSHS) ordered the accounts seized and it happened without first notifying us, and without ANY contact with a judge. After it was done we received notice that the money had been taken and if we didn't agree we could go to court at our own expense, which we did. Immediately after filing the banks release the accounts but the money was forfeited to DSHS and was never returned...instead being applied to future child support payments. Let me reiterate that: my fathers money was taken out of his account by DSHS without me being delinquent and was applied to my FUTURE child support payments. The judge told us that because I had signed on my fathers accounts (in order to streamline being the executor of his will should he die) the accounts were associated with me and could be lawfully seized by any actions against me. They also said that because I had gone into delinquency previously (while I was in the process of having the amount reduced) DSHS had reason to require guarantee of payments and so agreed that they could seize my accounts at any time without requiring further court action, as well as maintaining a lien on my vehicle. The fact that I had already won in court and had all past due balances eradicated, and that I was current on my new payment schedule, was utterly meaningless.

As for the second time it was a creditor, not a state agency, and it was a little different. My ex was given full ownership and responsibility for our car in the divorce. She ended up getting the car repossessed. I was never notified about any of it. One day I tried to draw money and all my accounts were frozen, all my money seized. The collection agency had gone to court, received a judgment against me, and had gotten them seized. Again, without making any attempt to contact me. They had contacted my ex initially who had told them that I was the primary signer on the loan but had fled and was un-contactable. When I contacted them and explained the situation they were very nice about it, but refused to change anything. No action was ever taken against her; despite being the second signer on the car loan AND having full responsibility for the vehicle assigned in the divorce, not to mention lying to them. That was 8 years ago and they still have the judgment against me, with absolutely no action against my ex. So technically they did talk to a judge, but I wasn't a part of the process and the whole affair was conducted under false pretenses.

Furthermore since changes instituted by Bushco there are a whole new kind of seizures possible, some of which have been widely publicized. This is all despite the total innocence of the people involved.

Long story short, people have no power or rights, and any attempt to seek justice will cost you more than you'll earn. Easier just to not put yourself in a position where you can be exploited.

Ahh, what a way to start off a reply, fvck off.

However, I do appreciate you proving my point for me. My point was very simple. A creditor nor a lawyer can write a letter to a bank and have your accounts frozen. They need a judgment from a court. I never meant to imply that you had to be a part of the court proceedings simply that proceedings had to take place in order for a creditor to have your account frozen, which you just confirmed. Besides the fact that I didn't list every government agency that can seize funds/freeze a bank account what exactly are you implying that I know nothing about?

Government agencies have the ability to freeze/take accounts without a court order or judgment but that doesn't bear much relevance to this discussion. I will agree that government agencies have to much power when it comes to seizing assets. The IRS is famous for putting people in a financial fubar.

Your whole ex-wife situation sucks but I would think that you could use the civil system as a recourse to her actions.

and any attempt to seek justice will cost you more than you'll earn.

Agreed for the most part. This goes both for the criminal and civil system. A perfect example is the Duke boys even though they won it cost them a fortune. Granted, not going to jail is worth spending a fortune its still a fallacy of our legal system.

Easier just to not put yourself in a position where you can be exploited.

Are you suggesting that we should not use the banking or credit system because of the extenuating circumstances that you unfortunately had to deal with? I can understand why you personally wouldn't with the threat of further action taken against you by DSHS at your ex's whim (if I understood you correctly) but banking and credit are extremely important to just about everyone. I wouldn't own my home without my bank.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
There are so many little tricks in place already that it's impossible to know them all. I've had accounts frozen multiple times, and even had the accounts of family members frozen, all without ever once having any involved party talking to a judge.
Is this a true statement? :confused:

Some government agencies can seize your assets without ever going to court. The IRS being a perfect example, or the Department of Social and Health Services as Prince of Wands has experienced. Those are two agencies that you really do not want to get in a bad way with.

Relevant to the OP, no. A creditor has to get a judgment or court order to freeze or seize assets.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: EKKC

as bad as this post may look to you all and for everyone to quickly write off that this is another "dumb guy with a deadbeat mom", i am not THAT dumb. I did that and it says the info I provided do not allow me access.

I implore everyone before jumping on the "idiot deadbeat in debt family" bandwagon that you read all my posts before replying. this is a serious problem that should never happen to my mom. Like I said before, I understand if it was me since I have mortgage payments, car payments, a few credit cards, etc. but my mother never even opened a credit card under her name and her cell phone was opened by my sister. her credit history consists of 2 accounts (from student loans for me and my sister) both paid off and in good standing.

:(

Have you or your mother physically went to the bank and requested written documentation of the reasons for their actions?

Personally, I would lawyer up if I was in your situation. If this isn't a case of identity theft and the collection agency truly screwed up then you have a hellofa civil case against the collection agency.

yes i totally agree. sadly i am out of town for 2 days on business. oh if only i have the free time to get a lawyer all hell would break loose. i'll have her start looking for one.

or maybe i'll just hack into the bank where i'm at here the next 2 days and unfreeze her account now. add a few zeroes while i'm at it. j/k

The best advice anyone here can offer you is to get a lawyer asap if you have the means to do so. If you don't have time then make time. Either that or negotiate a payment with the creditor. I am sure you could fight them on your own but if it was my ass on the line I sure wouldn't chance it.

Your bank is limited in what they can do to help.

The creditor has money invested in collecting this debt, regardless if it actually belongs to your mother or not. More times than not people will negotiate a lower settlement with the agency just to make them go away. Usually its cheaper than retaining a lawyer and fighting them. They know this so I personally doubt they are going to drop it regardless of what proof you send them.

Personally, I would fight them out of principal and then sue the hell out of them.

May 16, 2000

Ahh, what a way to start off a reply, fvck off.

However, I do appreciate you proving my point for me. My point was very simple. A creditor nor a lawyer can write a letter to a bank and have your accounts frozen. They need a judgment from a court. I never meant to imply that you had to be a part of the court proceedings simply that proceedings had to take place in order for a creditor to have your account frozen, which you just confirmed. Besides the fact that I didn't list every government agency that can seize funds/freeze a bank account what exactly are you implying that I know nothing about?

Government agencies have the ability to freeze/take accounts without a court order or judgment but that doesn't bear much relevance to this discussion. I will agree that government agencies have to much power when it comes to seizing assets. The IRS is famous for putting people in a financial fubar.

Your whole ex-wife situation sucks but I would think that you could use the civil system as a recourse to her actions.

and any attempt to seek justice will cost you more than you'll earn.

Agreed for the most part. This goes both for the criminal and civil system. A perfect example is the Duke boys even though they won it cost them a fortune. Granted, not going to jail is worth spending a fortune its still a fallacy of our legal system.

Easier just to not put yourself in a position where you can be exploited.

Are you suggesting that we should not use the banking or credit system because of the extenuating circumstances that you unfortunately had to deal with? I can understand why you personally wouldn't with the threat of further action taken against you by DSHS at your ex's whim (if I understood you correctly) but banking and credit are extremely important to just about everyone. I wouldn't own my home without my bank.

Again, 99% of the people won't have an issue. I was merely saying that some will, and when it happens you're at the mercy of those with money/power. I don't use banks because I don't need them anyway, and won't risk it again. Obviously most people aren't in my situation.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
here's an update:

Contacted Lawyer, court order sent to bank was under a different name.
Possible stolen SS#. Contacted local police. File report.
Experian = clean. Transunion = ??? Equifax = wrong name, wrong address, same SS# with delinquent CC accounts.
After speaking to the bank to tell them that court order was under a different name, the account was unfrozen and restraint notice has been lifted. bank didn't even say sorry or apologize.

Now: considering legal action against bank. hard to beat teams of bank lawyers but maybe we can threaten to go to local newspaper or whatever, at least get them to do something to prevent us from giving them bad publicity.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
How would you win against the bank? Define "different name"? Like the bank closed the WRONG account than was on the court order? If thats the case, then yeah they F'ed up.

Edit: BTW, I think you also owe the collection agency an apology :)

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
i still don't think the bank messed up, it was the court. As a bank you sort of have to do what the court says, whether the court has correct information or not

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Homerboy
How would you win against the bank? Define "different name"? Like the bank closed the WRONG account than was on the court order? If thats the case, then yeah they F'ed up.

maybe i do ;) but i trust google results more. the first few results say they're a garbage debt collector. and i think they are.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Homerboy

maybe i do ;) but i trust google results more. the first few results say they're a garbage debt collector. and i think they are.

Show me where anyone says ANY debt collector is "good". Thats the point. People only bitch, never praise.

Joemonkey: he hasn't clarified who actually screwed up. If the court had the wrong name or if the bank closed the wrong account.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
the court had the right name (the person who really owed the money to the collector), the courts *said* that they don't approve the restraining notice and they don't go by social security number (which matches my mom's number since we believe it has been compromised), i have no idea how this transpired to the bank locking my mom's account, which is what we have to find out now.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I have no idea how this transpired to the bank locking my mom's account, which is what we have to find out now.

Because Corporations are using computers for Nefarious purposes now with the blessing of the Government and Courts.

You had it right in your OP.

Why are Americans tolerating this clear abuse?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I have no idea how this transpired to the bank locking my mom's account, which is what we have to find out now.

Because Corporations are using computers for Nefarious purposes now with the blessing of the Government and Courts.

Ha?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Because you and other conspiracy theorist whackjobs like you are the only ones telling America about this "clear abuse" and you're completely lacking in credibility.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Because you and other conspiracy theorist whackjobs like you are the only ones telling America about this "clear abuse" and you're completely lacking in credibility.

Originally posted by: spidey07
It seems there's a growing online consensus that if you can't do it on the intarweb, it can't be done. I've long been a proponent of RTFM and if you can't get it done on the intarweb - pick up the freaking phone and call! It's the most valuable tool there is, talking to somebody that can directly answer your questions or take care of things for you.

The reason I stress this is I had a 50 dollar finance charge on one of my credit cards...it should not have been there. Call up card company, hit zero-zero-zero-zero-zero...finally get a CSR on the phone.

"oh, that shouldn't be there. Sorry for that oversight. It's removed. Can I assist further?"
'sure, gimme a limit increase'
"no problem, just answer a few questions."

5 minutes waiting on the phone, 5 minute conversation > 120 minutes wading around a web page frantically searching for what does not exist.

Pick up the phone and call. It's not that hard.

We see your response to the Corporations "Thank you sir, may I have another". :roll:

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

Originally posted by: spidey07
It seems there's a growing online consensus that if you can't do it on the intarweb, it can't be done. I've long been a proponent of RTFM and if you can't get it done on the intarweb - pick up the freaking phone and call! It's the most valuable tool there is, talking to somebody that can directly answer your questions or take care of things for you.

The reason I stress this is I had a 50 dollar finance charge on one of my credit cards...it should not have been there. Call up card company, hit zero-zero-zero-zero-zero...finally get a CSR on the phone.

"oh, that shouldn't be there. Sorry for that oversight. It's removed. Can I assist further?"
'sure, gimme a limit increase'
"no problem, just answer a few questions."

5 minutes waiting on the phone, 5 minute conversation > 120 minutes wading around a web page frantically searching for what does not exist.

Pick up the phone and call. It's not that hard.

We see your response to the Corporations "Thank you sir, may I have another". :roll:

Wait, what?

Did you just quote another poster from another thread and use it as proof as to how Vic feels?

:confused:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

So you go calling out the OP, then get your ass handed back to you when the facts are in and the Bank is indeed wrong. You need to stop trolling these kinds of threads.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I am shocked that they can block access to a safe deposit box because of a past debt.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Hacp

So you go calling out the OP, then get your ass handed back to you when the facts are in and the Bank is indeed wrong. You need to stop trolling these kinds of threads.

Try reading, it's fundamental. I didn't "call" the OP out on anything.

The ones that side with the Corporations using computers for Nefarious purposes, well that's another thing.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Wait a minute. This guy still doesn't have an answer from the BANK as to why they acted the way they did? By now I would have in writing what time the tellers went "potty" the day they took my accounts.