Credit problems - Bank Account Restrained

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: EKKC
My mom has been notified by her bank saying that her account and safe deposit boxes has been restrained from her access for one year due to a Notice served to the bank by this company called NORTH STAR CAPITAL ACQUISITION LLC for an amount of $2563.08

A simple google search of that company returned many results saying that this is a scam company that are hellbent on collecting old/expired/uncollectable/cancelled debt accounts, garbage/dumpster diving bastards who now take ownership of the bad debt and have scumbag notaries and lawyers to legitimize these debt accounts and sue innocent people for money they never owed. I called the law offices who is representing them and they won't even tell me what it is about. How is this even possibly legal? and why aren't the feds shutting them down?

I'm going to find a lawyer to counter-sue these bastards. Anyone have any idea if the bank can un-restrain the accounts? this is going to be such a pain in the butt for my parents... :|

is your mom's bank a small bank prone to knee jerk reactions?

like others have said in this thread, banks dont usually free accts because someone's lawyet told them to. imagine if every lawyer could do that to anyone.

keep update the OP when u get updates

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
is your mom's bank a small bank prone to knee jerk reactions?

like others have said in this thread, banks dont usually free accts because someone's lawyet told them to. imagine if every lawyer could do that to anyone.

keep update the OP when u get updates
:)

sweet.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: bsobel
and Experian/TransUnion are blocking access to her report, when they asked a few verification questions and asked what loan/mortgage she has opened in January 2007, and I could not give the site any information since she did not open any mortgage accounts.

I am surprised no-one else asked about this. Sounds like there is a good chance someone opened an account in her name and now the collection agency is just doing their job. The notices probably never even went to your mom...

Actually, this isn't really a red flag. They ask that if I try to check my report too. It's a verification question: if you don't have the mortgage, you answer it No or N/A.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The OP's story reeks. No reputable bank would (or legally could) freeze assets on the say-so of a collection agency. That "notice" would have to be nothing less than a court judgment. And notaries don't sign those... :roll:

So while it's more than possible that the OP's mom is a victim of identity theft and that she is a victim of some meth addict and that none of this is her fault, it's also more than possible that the OP is a clueless teenager living in her basement.
She should talk to her bank and demand that they produce the necessary documents or unfreeze her accounts.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
The OP's story reeks. No reputable bank would (or legally could) freeze assets on the say-so of a collection agency. That "notice" would have to be nothing less than a court judgment. And notaries don't sign those... :roll:

So while it's more than possible that the OP's mom is a victim of identity theft and that she is a victim of some meth addict and that none of this is her fault, it's also more than possible that the OP is a clueless teenager living in her basement.
She should talk to her bank and demand that they produce the necessary documents or unfreeze her accounts.

vic != mod?!

wow.. i've guessed wrong all these yrs :Q

Riceckr

Jul 24, 2007
Originally posted by: binister
Does your mom know what the debt might be from?

I just checked her credit on annualcreditreport.com and Experian/TransUnion are blocking access to her report, when they asked a few verification questions and asked what loan/mortgage she has opened in January 2007, and I could not give the site any information since she did not open any mortgage accounts.

Equifax reports no problems, and says she has 2 open accounts, both under good standing.

Look at your statement right there. there is a loan that is reporting with the other 2 agencies that is not reporting with Equifax, this happens. look at the security question! it says an account was opened in January of 2007 either someone has gotten a hold of your mother's account or there is something you don't know about. about the freezing of assets, I couldnt begin to comment about that unless your bank has realized something fraudulent has been going on and maybe is protecting the accounts.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: Caecus Veritas

first thing i'd do is go into the branch and talk to the manager. find out exactly what the problem is before doing anything else.

Absolutely. A bank doesn't just freeze peoples assets because a lawyer wrote them a letter. They will have some sort of court order telling them to do so. With that info you can find out exactly what and who they say that your mother owes and decide a course of action from there.

I still seems odd though. I couldn't imagine my bank freezing all of my accounts, including my safe deposit box which mostly holds my insurance documents, without at least notifying me of exactly why they where doing so.

Not even remotely true. There are so many little tricks in place already that it's impossible to know them all. I've had accounts frozen multiple times, and even had the accounts of family members frozen, all without ever once having any involved party talking to a judge. There are a number of agencies with that power and banks will ALL defer to them completely. If you put your money in a bank you have absolutely no control over it. That's why I haven't used a bank in many years, and absolutely never will again.

That being said this sounds like a scummy credit company and mimics something I've gone thru with AFNI (the single most evil collection agency in the free world today). You can eventually beat them, but it takes a LOT of work.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

first thing i'd do is go into the branch and talk to the manager. find out exactly what the problem is before doing anything else.

Absolutely. A bank doesn't just freeze peoples assets because a lawyer wrote them a letter. They will have some sort of court order telling them to do so. With that info you can find out exactly what and who they say that your mother owes and decide a course of action from there.

I still seems odd though. I couldn't imagine my bank freezing all of my accounts, including my safe deposit box which mostly holds my insurance documents, without at least notifying me of exactly why they where doing so.

Not even remotely true. There are so many little tricks in place already that it's impossible to know them all. I've had accounts frozen multiple times, and even had the accounts of family members frozen, all without ever once having any involved party talking to a judge. There are a number of agencies with that power and banks will ALL defer to them completely. If you put your money in a bank you have absolutely no control over it. That's why I haven't used a bank in many years, and absolutely never will again.

That being said this sounds like a scummy credit company and mimics something I've gone thru with AFNI (the single most evil collection agency in the free world today). You can eventually beat them, but it takes a LOT of work.

I looked up FUD in the dictionary and this post was already there :Q

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
surprised no one mentioned the possibility of identity theft. Someone could have opened accounts in here name (like maybe around January 2007, duh)...ran up the bills and now have defaulted on the payments.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
To get this far, somebody was probably ignoring notices. I'd definately start with my parents, and go from there.

Well, unless my mother is a liar, she hasn't been served any notices at all.
Again, if you do a simple google search on that company, you'll find out that these are not your normal debt collectors. how they can possibly operate under the law is beyond me.

or identity theft?

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I was just going to say zerocool1 smells like identity theft. I don't know any identity theft services off the top of my head, I know some credit card companies and banks will help you at least figure out what the hell is going on, I know WAMU does if you spring for the "GOLD" account...

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005

wow i was warned via PM about rude responses but never anticipated someone calling me a clueless teenager i wish i was in my teens.

anyway, my gf called today since the goddamn law office of the 'plaintiff' said they dont have a chinese speaking person (my mom speaks limited english) but won't divulge any details to me when I tried to call last night and did not give me any alternatives to get the details. today the law office told my gf it was due to a credit card opened in Nov 2001 with balance due, and the interest has been racking up to this amount (~$2500). it was opened under an address in Lower Manhattan in which no one in my family has ever lived or even lived close to.

the name did not match, the address did not match, how the court approved this restraining notice is beyond me. how the bank is willing to freeze this account is also beyond me. this is the same bank that I work as a consultant for, maybe I should go talk to the legal heads here.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: narzy
I was just going to say zerocool1 smells like identity theft. I don't know any identity theft services off the top of my head, I know some credit card companies and banks will help you at least figure out what the hell is going on, I know WAMU does if you spring for the "GOLD" account...

im going to go pay for a few of those "premium" credit reports on her behalf and see if there are any questionable items. and i probably have to fix the access for Transunion and Experian.

thing is, the Equifax report I got last night doesn't even have anything open from November 2001, which is what the law offices of the plaintiff is claiming now. I'd be surprised to see it show up on the other 2 credit reporting agencies.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Riceckr

I just checked her credit on annualcreditreport.com and Experian/TransUnion are blocking access to her report, when they asked a few verification questions and asked what loan/mortgage she has opened in January 2007, and I could not give the site any information since she did not open any mortgage accounts.

Equifax reports no problems, and says she has 2 open accounts, both under good standing.

Look at your statement right there. there is a loan that is reporting with the other 2 agencies that is not reporting with Equifax, this happens. look at the security question! it says an account was opened in January of 2007 either someone has gotten a hold of your mother's account or there is something you don't know about. about the freezing of assets, I couldnt begin to comment about that unless your bank has realized something fraudulent has been going on and maybe is protecting the accounts.

It's just a verification question. I get asked that when I check my accounts (both a mortgage and car loan), and I answer "No" or "N/A" because I've never had either, and go along my merry way and get my credit report. That's what the OP needs to do: Answer N/A and move along.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

wow i was warned via PM about rude responses but never anticipated someone calling me a clueless teenager i wish i was in my teens.

anyway, my gf called today since the goddamn law office of the 'plaintiff' said they dont have a chinese speaking person (my mom speaks limited english) but won't divulge any details to me when I tried to call last night and did not give me any alternatives to get the details. today the law office told my gf it was due to a credit card opened in Nov 2001 with balance due, and the interest has been racking up to this amount (~$2500). it was opened under an address in Lower Manhattan in which no one in my family has ever lived or even lived close to.

the name did not match, the address did not match, how the court approved this restraining notice is beyond me. how the bank is willing to freeze this account is also beyond me. this is the same bank that I work as a consultant for, maybe I should go talk to the legal heads here.

So it's identity theft. I'd say talking to legal at the bank would be a great idea. Probably a lot more effective than bitching about it on an internet message board ;)

And the rude response is due to your troll in the thread title. Obviously all of America is screwed up because some bank screwed up. And clearly banks just love freezing the accounts of their customers in order to serve collection agencies who are not their customers. Yep. Airtight logic right there!

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Raduque
Originally posted by: Riceckr

It's just a verification question. I get asked that when I check my accounts (both a mortgage and car loan), and I answer "No" or "N/A" because I've never had either, and go along my merry way and get my credit report. That's what the OP needs to do: Answer N/A and move along.

as bad as this post may look to you all and for everyone to quickly write off that this is another "dumb guy with a deadbeat mom", i am not THAT dumb. I did that and it says the info I provided do not allow me access.

I implore everyone before jumping on the "idiot deadbeat in debt family" bandwagon that you read all my posts before replying. this is a serious problem that should never happen to my mom. Like I said before, I understand if it was me since I have mortgage payments, car payments, a few credit cards, etc. but my mother never even opened a credit card under her name and her cell phone was opened by my sister. her credit history consists of 2 accounts (from student loans for me and my sister) both paid off and in good standing.

:(

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I don?t know anyone that knows anyone that has ever had a bank account frozen. How in the hell have you and your family had them frozen multiple times ??? Sounds like ya?ll need to get right with Uncle Sam.

Regardless, you are simply wrong. My wife works at a bank. I just talked to the regional manager, who is a friend of ours, and she said that without a court order or an order from the IRS (they don?t need to go through the courts) they can not and will not freeze a bank account. A creditor must obtain a judgment in order to have your bank freeze your account.

Even if it was legal, the bank is not going to take on that kind of civil liability on the word of some jacklegged lawyer. If that lawyer is wrong the bank opens itself up to a huge civil lawsuit. A tort lawyer would be foaming at the mouth to get a case like that because of the absurd amount of damages that you could claim from having your bank account and safe deposit box frozen.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

as bad as this post may look to you all and for everyone to quickly write off that this is another "dumb guy with a deadbeat mom", i am not THAT dumb. I did that and it says the info I provided do not allow me access.

I implore everyone before jumping on the "idiot deadbeat in debt family" bandwagon that you read all my posts before replying. this is a serious problem that should never happen to my mom. Like I said before, I understand if it was me since I have mortgage payments, car payments, a few credit cards, etc. but my mother never even opened a credit card under her name and her cell phone was opened by my sister. her credit history consists of 2 accounts (from student loans for me and my sister) both paid off and in good standing.

Have you or your mother physically went to the bank and requested written documentation of the reasons for their actions?

Personally, I would lawyer up if I was in your situation. If this isn't a case of identity theft and the collection agency truly screwed up then you have a hellofa civil case against the collection agency.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

errr WTF are you doing to bring so much attention to yourself?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Greenman
There is a lot more going on here than we've been told.

I would totally agree with that statement...which is usually the case when people post like this!!

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005

Have you or your mother physically went to the bank and requested written documentation of the reasons for their actions?

Personally, I would lawyer up if I was in your situation. If this isn't a case of identity theft and the collection agency truly screwed up then you have a hellofa civil case against the collection agency.

yes i totally agree. sadly i am out of town for 2 days on business. oh if only i have the free time to get a lawyer all hell would break loose. i'll have her start looking for one.

or maybe i'll just hack into the bank where i'm at here the next 2 days and unfreeze her account now. add a few zeroes while i'm at it. j/k

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

I looked up FUD in the dictionary and this post was already there :Q

stop that!!! You made me spill my coffee!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

ok....so after all these posts we learn that your mom speaks chinese and very little english.....
Does she also read no english?
as such there could have been mail sent that was iether ignored or even for that matter a certified letter sent and your mom due to her not understanding could have refused to sign for the letter.....thus the company that had everything frozen really did make a good faith efort to contact her according to the law..

Still there is a lot that doesn`t make sense...good Luck!!