Creationist shenanigans part 439

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Link.

People who oppose the teaching of evolution in science classes are ignorant, scientifically illiterate, & disrespectful of the Establishment Clause. Unfortunately, they also sit on school boards, probably mostly where education is most needed. Fortunately, they are not intelligent. Expect to see this email in the court record when the ACLU sues Taylor County for pushing the breathtaking inanity.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gigantopithecus
Link.

People who oppose the teaching of evolution in science classes are ignorant, scientifically illiterate, & disrespectful of the Establishment Clause. Unfortunately, they also sit on school boards, probably mostly where education is most needed. Fortunately, they are not intelligent. Expect to see this email in the court record when the ACLU sues Taylor County for pushing the breathtaking inanity.

The establishment clause has nothing to do with this subject.

Plus IMO, they have just as much right to sit on school boards as those who wish to cram their global warming religion down our kids throats or even those who seek to push their "tolerance" religion(read: tolerance as long as it fits their views)

So I guess as much as I dislike those who wish to ban evolution theory discussion in school and/or push the creationism theory - they have just as much right to sit on the school board as the other people who have agendas.

Dec 10, 2005
Trying to push creationism onto people through the PUBLIC school system is wrong. SCIENCE (key word here) is about discoveries building upon themselves; evidence through experimentation and observation causes hypothesizes to be either proved or disproved, where proved just means that all the evidence for now supports said hypothesis. Science is a discovery process that is builds on itself and it is important to teach that process in school, not some mumbo jumbo that cannot be tested scientifically.

Note: I'm not against people that believe in creationism from sitting on school boards; I am against them trying to change the definition of what science is.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Plus IMO, they have just as much right to sit on school boards as those who wish to cram their global warming religion down our kids throats or even those who seek to push their "tolerance" religion(read: tolerance as long as it fits their views)

No matter how you look at it, global warming doesn't fit any definition of "religion," but answersingenesis.org, referred to in the e-mail, is most definitely sipping the dogmatic Kool Aid:

Our message

Answers in Genesis is an apologetics (i.e., Christianity-defending) ministry, dedicated to enabling Christians to defend their faith and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ effectively. We focus particularly on providing answers to questions surrounding the book of Genesis, as it is the most-attacked book of the Bible. We also desire to train others to develop a biblical worldview, and seek to expose the bankruptcy of evolutionary ideas, and its bedfellow, a ?millions of years old? earth (and even older universe).

So I guess as much as I dislike those who wish to ban evolution theory discussion in school and/or push the creationism theory - they have just as much right to sit on the school board as the other people who have agendas.

Creationism has nothing to do with reality. You can believe whatever you want about whatever part of reality you can't or don't want to understand, and you can even corrupt your kids' minds with that rot, but ooga booga mystery oil religious dogma has no place in science courses in public education.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004

Sure, advocating intelligent design creationism in a public school science classroom doesn't violate the Establishment Clause & has nothing to do with the issue...

Plus IMO, they have just as much right to sit on school boards as those who wish to cram their global warming religion down our kids throats

...but this does? Are you retarded or merely stupid?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Harvey

Stop right there. No matter how you look at it, global warming doesn't fit any definition of "religion," but answersingenesis.org, referred to in the e-mail, is most definitely sipping the dogmatic Kool Aid:

Our message

Answers in Genesis is an apologetics (i.e., Christianity-defending) ministry, dedicated to enabling Christians to defend their faith and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ effectively. We focus particularly on providing answers to questions surrounding the book of Genesis, as it is the most-attacked book of the Bible. We also desire to train others to develop a biblical worldview, and seek to expose the bankruptcy of evolutionary ideas, and its bedfellow, a ?millions of years old? earth (and even older universe).

I disagree. You can believe whatever you want about whatever part of reality you can't or don't want to understand, and you can even corrupt your kids' minds with that rot, but ooga booga mystery oil religious dogma has no place in science courses in public education.

1. Yes it does. The MMGW religion has tons of followers - many of them post here.:)

2. Correct, however my comment was about them sitting on the board. I don't like any of the agenda people trying to shape our school system with their pet project. I don't understand why we spend all this time and effort on this extra crap when it seems we can't even get kids through school knowing how to read, write, and do math. If they can't do the basics then why the hell are we even looking at these misc other areas? It's like thinking new tires will make that broken down POS sitting out back without an engine run again.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Sure, advocating intelligent design creationism in a public school science classroom doesn't violate the Establishment Clause & has nothing to do with the issue...

Plus IMO, they have just as much right to sit on school boards as those who wish to cram their global warming religion down our kids throats

Do you know how to read?

1. The establishment clause - do you have any clue what it is about?

2. eh? but what does? I was saying nothing more that they have just as much right to sit on the board as anyone else. Do you disagree? You think people should be disqualified because they don't think exactly like you?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Link.

How about if they were teaching the kids to strap on bombs and blow Christians up?

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Do you know how to read?

2. eh? but what does? I was saying nothing more that they have just as much right to sit on the board as anyone else. Do you disagree? You think people should be disqualified because they don't think exactly like you?

What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...." do you not understand? If pushing Answers in Genesis in a public school science classroom isn't 'respecting an establishment of religion', I don't know what is.

Never mind what the federal court ruled in Kitzmiller vs. Dover, or what the Supreme Court ruled in Epperson vs. Arkansas & Edwards vs. Aguillard - CADsortaGUY knows what he's talking about! Maybe you know how to read, that's great. The next step is *gasp* actually reading.

Global warming has nothing to do with this issue. NOTHING. The evidence for evolution is orders of magnitude greater than the evidence for anthropogenic climate change. Your red herring nonsense bullshit doesn't fly with anyone who has more than five functional synapses.

My point is that people who have a high school diploma or less (in this case, a carpet installer) should NOT be deciding what gets taught in primary schools. Education is (to some people, at least, but clearly not everyone) important. I'd say it's as least as important as getting a car fixed. Do you consult an expert for car repairs? Then why the hell wouldn't you do so for your kids' educations?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Link.

It's this kind of intellectual ambiguity that is the most dangerous...creationists, as dumb as they are, having nothing on people like you. You don't oppose stupid ideas or things that aren't supported by the facts, you oppose ANY idea that you personally don't like. The theory of man made global warming isn't a religion, it's science based on rigorous study and analysis. You might not like the conclusions, but that doesn't make the facts wrong. The fact that some people have embraced the idea a little too enthusiastically doesn't give you the right to try to exclude the science behind it from the classroom.

The ONLY standard that should apply in the science classroom is whether or not something is SCIENCE. Creationism is not science. Some of the more fanatical ideas about global warming aren't science. Evolution is science...as is the scientific study of global climate change. Don't like it? Feel free to preach your bullshit on the street corner...let's leave politics out of science once and for all. And unfortunately, that means your ideological opposition to science doesn't mean fuck all unless you can back it up with facts. You and the creationists don't like science, feel free to find some better science. But bitching and moaning isn't the way to go.

Sep 12, 2004
My personal preference is that Evolution be taught in US schools. However, this being a Democratic country, I can't imagine telling people that they can't express or vote their desires, no matter how wacky I believe them to be so long as they don't run afoul of the law.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Do you know how to read?

You certainly seem to. Your inability to draw a distinction between groundless religious beliefs and well researched science is pretty stupid. If you don't like Al Gore, fine, but trying to exclude all study of global warming from the science classroom because you don't like the conclusions is as dumb as what these creationists are doing.

Personally, I think ANYONE who tries to introduce non-science based subjects to the science classroom should be prohibited from serving on a school board. This isn't about views, it's about science...if you can't express it with math, it's not science.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
My personal preference is that Evolution be taught in US schools. However, this being a Democratic country, I can't imagine telling people that they can't express or vote their desires, no matter how wacky I believe them to be so long as they don't run afoul of the law.

You mean like the 1st amendment? If people want to teach their own children their religious beliefs, more power to them. They should not, however, be able to force the school to teach their religious beliefs to EVERY student...some of whom may not share those beliefs. Particularly when the topic in question is being taught as SCIENCE, which it clearly isn't no matter what your religious beliefs are.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

You mean like the 1st amendment? If people want to teach their own children their religious beliefs, more power to them. They should not, however, be able to force the school to teach their religious beliefs to EVERY student...some of whom may not share those beliefs. Particularly when the topic in question is being taught as SCIENCE, which it clearly isn't no matter what your religious beliefs are.
I mean more than the first amendment. I'm talking democracy. If the majority of people in Taylor county (I've lived in Florida for over 35 years and never heard of Taylor county.) want to teach creationism in addition to evolution, that's their right. If the majority don't then they can vote in new school board members in the next election to overturn the decision. Didn't something similar happen in Kansas already?

btw, I'd never subject my own child to that BS and would pull them out of school if they had to learn creationism. I don't agree with the creationists one iota and feel they are trying to impose their brand of religion on everyone else. But I realized long ago that living in a free country like this one also means that from time-to-time you might be subjected to things that you don't necessarily agree with.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I mean more than the first amendment. I'm talking democracy. If the majority of people in Taylor county (I've lived in Florida for over 35 years and never heard of Taylor county.) want to teach creationism in addition to evolution, that's their right. If the majority don't then they can vote in new school board members in the next election to overturn the decision. Didn't something similar happen in Kansas already?

btw, I'd never subject my own child to that BS and would pull them out of school if they had to learn creationism. I don't agree with the creationists one iota and feel they are trying to impose their brand of religion on everyone else. But I realized long ago that living in a free country like this one also means that from time-to-time you might be subjected to things that you don't necessarily agree with.

Where do you draw the line, though? Simply being in the minority doesn't remove all your rights...that's the entire reason we DON'T have a pure democracy. I forget who said it, but it's true...democracy has to be more than two wolves and one sheep voting on what's for dinner. And the freedom to believe in whatever religion you like is one of the freedoms that should be protected no matter how small of a minority you are...that's the whole point of the 1st amendment. "Democracy" does not overrule the Bill of Rights, there is no 0th amendment saying that the following is all null and void if a moron and a bunch of his moron friends get together and decide it to be so.

Edit: Living in a free country means that there will sometimes be things you don't agree with, but we're not talking about someone preaching on the street corner, we're talking about government run public school that children are REQUIRED to attend. Freedom is practicing your own religion in your own home or with likeminded peers, it is not forcing other people to learn your religious beliefs.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Bleh. Creationism, evolution, gay marriage, abortion. All wedge issues. All used to "divide and conquer." All made to push front-page problems back a few pages.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Do you know how to read?

What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...." do you not understand? If pushing Answers in Genesis in a public school science classroom isn't 'respecting an establishment of religion', I don't know what is.

Never mind what the federal court ruled in Kitzmiller vs. Dover, or what the Supreme Court ruled in Epperson vs. Arkansas & Edwards vs. Aguillard - CADsortaGUY knows what he's talking about! Maybe you know how to read, that's great. The next step is *gasp* actually reading.

Global warming has nothing to do with this issue. NOTHING. The evidence for evolution is orders of magnitude greater than the evidence for anthropogenic climate change. Your red herring nonsense bullshit doesn't fly with anyone who has more than five functional synapses.

My point is that people who have a high school diploma or less (in this case, a carpet installer) should NOT be deciding what gets taught in primary schools. Education is (to some people, at least, but clearly not everyone) important. I'd say it's as least as important as getting a car fixed. Do you consult an expert for car repairs? Then why the hell wouldn't you do so for your kids' educations?

The school system is a public service. It is representative of the community it serves. The school boards (and all social service and community service boards, etc) take representatives from all walks of life from the community in an attempt to get a good representation of the community. this includes "experts" in the field. So, this also includes people with less than a high school education. That is just how the system works.. it doesn't always work well, however. But, to suggest that only the "educated" have good ideas or will not lead the community astray is far from sensible.

Sep 12, 2004

Where do you draw the line, though? Simply being in the minority doesn't remove all your rights...that's the entire reason we DON'T have a pure democracy. I forget who said it, but it's true...democracy has to be more than two wolves and one sheep voting on what's for dinner. And the freedom to believe in whatever religion you like is one of the freedoms that should be protected no matter how small of a minority you are...that's the whole point of the 1st amendment. "Democracy" does not overrule the Bill of Rights, there is no 0th amendment saying that the following is all null and void if a moron and a bunch of his moron friends get together and decide it to be so.

Edit: Living in a free country means that there will sometimes be things you don't agree with, but we're not talking about someone preaching on the street corner, we're talking about government run public school that children are REQUIRED to attend. Freedom is practicing your own religion in your own home or with likeminded peers, it is not forcing other people to learn your religious beliefs.
If a county has a majority who vote to support the teaching of religous beliefs that should be their right to do so. Nor are we talking about a pure democracy here. This is an elected school board, a representative government. I'm not sure why I even have to clarify that issue, and it really seems like a non-sequitor type of argument considering the existing evidence.

I believe a compromise could be worked out where parents could opt their kids out of the class on either creationism or evolution if so desired. If parents want their children to grow up ignorant about valid science that's not my call, or yours.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre
Bleh. Creationism, evolution, gay marriage, abortion. All wedge issues. All used to "divide and conquer." All made to push front-page problems back a few pages.
Let's not forget about Britney Spears.
"In a surprise strike, Russia has just announced plans to launch fusion warheads at the following US cities-----We interrupt this newscast for a breaking development! Britney Spears has been sighted purchasing tampons at a Walmart supercenter. Details are a bit sketchy at the moment, but we believe they are Kotex brand, possibly from their "Super" line, for heavy flow. We will continue to bring more updates as this story develops. -----in those cities should evacuate immediately."

Anyhow, schools teach science. If you want your kids to learn religion, save it for Sunday School. That's what it's there for.

Yes, it's a democracy we live in, but it has guidelines, and they're there for a very good reason. Theocracies have almost always resulted in very serious abuses of power. Letting them get their foot in the door might not be a good idea. It's like sneaking up on a fly - it perceives motion very well, but if you move slowly enough, you can smack it without it having a chance to get away.
Public schools are a government affair. Government cannot endorse any religion. Therefore, public schools cannot indoctrinate students with any religion's teachings. If anything, teach about multiple religions in a historical context, teach about the origins of religions - but that's it.

Sunday schools and private schools are free to teach about the Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Flying Spaghetti Monster if they so desire. They're not government-run, so they can teach their students that the world is flat. Parents would be stupid to send their children to such schools, but stupidity is not illegal, nor is it unconstitutional.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004

While I'd certainly agree that creationist nonsense isn't a front page problem, it certainly isn't as irrelevant as gay marriage and/or abortion. Those issues have no relevance to the economy or everyday life.

Last century was the century of physics & chemistry. This will be the century of biology. Failing to teach solid biological science will put this country at a severe disadvantage in terms of research & development - which have significant effects on peoples' lives & the country's economy.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

If a county has a majority who vote to support the teaching of religous beliefs that should be their right to do so. Nor are we talking about a pure democracy here. This is an elected school board, a representative government. I'm not sure why I even have to clarify that issue, and it really seems like a non-sequitor type of argument considering the existing evidence.
You don't have to "clarify" the issue so much as explain it. You may feel a certain way about the majority being able to do whatever they like, but that runs directly counter to the entire idea of this country. It doesn't matter if every citizen directly votes or if elected representatives make the decision, the fact is that there should be (and are) limits placed on the power of even the largest majority.

The 1st amendment directly says that the government can't establish an official religion, I don't see a clause saying "unless a majority of the people think it's a good idea". And including the teaching of religious beliefs in the classroom is unquestionably a violating of the establishment clause...especially when the instruction is presented as scientific fact.
I believe a compromise could be worked out where parents could opt their kids out of the class on either creationism or evolution if so desired. If parents want their children to grow up ignorant about valid science that's not my call, or yours.

If people don't want their kids learning science, that's certainly their call...but while I can see an argument for including science instruction as part of education, I see no argument for teaching religion, and a substantial argument against doing so. This is the real world, not all ideas deserve equal time and equal consideration.

Jun 26, 2007

Do you know how to read?

Which religions creation story is going to be taught? There is more than one you know but only one religious creation story in the argument, it's clearly against the establishment clause, i'm a fucking BRIT and i get it, why the fuck don't you?

2. is the continuation of your trolling of the original subject, you're a troll for doing that.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: spittledip
The school system is a public service. It is representative of the community it serves. The school boards (and all social service and community service boards, etc) take representatives from all walks of life from the community in an attempt to get a good representation of the community. this includes "experts" in the field. So, this also includes people with less than a high school education. That is just how the system works.. it doesn't always work well, however. But, to suggest that only the "educated" have good ideas or will not lead the community astray is far from sensible.

I guess the word 'leader' has lost its meaning in modern American democracy. Don't forget that half of a 'good representation' is even less intelligent & capable than Average Joe!

Jun 26, 2007

Yet for those discriminated against it is the most important issues of the world.

Read up on democracy it is ALL aboout wedge issues.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Great, start teaching American kids fantastical tales with no real world basis because it is freedom of speech!

How low can our education system go ?