Question [CPU LED Solid Red] B450 Tomahawk won't output

AletheiaY

Sep 30, 2020
Hi this was my first time building a PC, I connected everything, turned on the PSU and pressed the power button.

My fans, graphics card, RAM, hardrive, etc. all come to life, but there is no output on my display and my keyboard and mouse don't receive any power.

The CPU LED turns on, meaning the CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) was not detected or failed. I unistalled the cooler to check for damage to the pins, but no evidence of damage can be found.

I reseated the CPU ensuring it was locked, booted the PC again, but still nothing outputs.

What can I do? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 160147607230068376163142238136.jpg
    160147607230068376163142238136.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 9

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Please provide a complete list of system components.

Did you try resetting the CMOS memory before you removed the CPU cooler? You might try reinstalling the cooler and doing this. Please note that you never reset CMOS on a powered on system (always unplug the wall cord first).

If that doesn't work, try pulling the board (leave CPU/cooler installed) and then set it up on a cardboard box outside the case (carefully insert the GPU so as to flex the motherboard as little as possible, and add a single memory module). Carefully plug in all the motherboard/cpu power cables, video cables, and then use a screwdriver to short the switch headers to try to boot it up. If it does the same thing outside the case, I'd suspect you just got a bad motherboard (the motherboard is far more likely than the CPU to be defective). Next most likely problem is a bad PSU, and lastly bad CPU in that order.

FWIW, this is generally the best thing way to go when building a new system, so you know everything works before you do all the work of installing everything in the case. It is very easy to create a grounding problem when installing a motherboard into a case, so it helps with troubleshooting to know everything was working beforehand.

AletheiaY

Sep 30, 2020
Please provide a complete list of system components.

Did you try resetting the CMOS memory before you removed the CPU cooler? You might try reinstalling the cooler and doing this. Please note that you never reset CMOS on a powered on system (always unplug the wall cord first).

If that doesn't work, try pulling the board (leave CPU/cooler installed) and then set it up on a cardboard box outside the case (carefully insert the GPU so as to flex the motherboard as little as possible, and add a single memory module). Carefully plug in all the motherboard/cpu power cables, video cables, and then use a screwdriver to short the switch headers to try to boot it up. If it does the same thing outside the case, I'd suspect you just got a bad motherboard (the motherboard is far more likely than the CPU to be defective). Next most likely problem is a bad PSU, and lastly bad CPU in that order.

FWIW, this is generally the best thing way to go when building a new system, so you know everything works before you do all the work of installing everything in the case. It is very easy to create a grounding problem when installing a motherboard into a case, so it helps with troubleshooting to know everything was working beforehand.

This is my parts list

Thank you for the reply, it turns out that when I first booted the PC, the weird scent I smelled was an electric trace burning out. I'm going to return the board and get a new one. Thanks again!

Nov 20, 2009
How is the monitor connected to the video card? I ask this because I remembered that recently I had an issue with displayport not passing pre-boot video and as such was missing vital POST information that would show up on HDMI/DVI/VGA. Also, using this graphic where are you plugging your KBM into?

b450-tomahawk-max-hero.png
I would unplug all of the CASE fans, re-seat the RAM (referencing the mobo manual for usage) and try a video transport via non-displayport to see if POST information is being presented.