Question Cpu being overused and gpu not even being nearly used.

gon4aloxd

Jun 24, 2022
Hi there! Since I have purchased my pc in 2017 I have finaly factory reseted windows for the first time yesterday but all it did was bring me problems. Whenever I try to play games my cpu usage is 100% and gpu almost nothing and that shouldnt happend at least it didnt before. Now im playing league of legends and even there with the lowest graphics im lagging due to the processor overloading or I dont know. how do I fix this? my processor is: ryzen 5 1600x gpu: 1060 6gb ram: 16 gb ddr4 windows version: 10 pro n

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"Factory Reset" - is this a branded OEM PC?

Please tell us the brand / model, as well as if you have an SSD for OS or an HDD.

I feel that this issue could be caused by OEM bloatware, such as McAffe A/V, or possibly malware like a coin-miner, that might still be on your system (why did you factory-reset? some malware can survive a "reset", especially "bootkits", or systems with compromised upstream routers).

After you reset Windows, excuse me, "factory reset", did you go through and spend half a day updating Windows, and your video drivers?

Also, check CPU and GPU temps, using HWMonitor or HWInfo64 or GPU-Z. Check if anything is overheating and potentially throttling. Did you clean out the dust from the CPU and GPU heatsink, when you did the reset? Do you regularly clean them, or "basically never clean the dust"?

Last edited:

gon4aloxd

Jun 24, 2022
"Factory Reset" - is this a branded OEM PC?

Please tell us the brand / model, as well as if you have an SSD for OS or an HDD.

I feel that this issue could be caused by OEM bloatware, such as McAffe A/V, or possibly malware like a coin-miner, that might still be on your system (why did you factory-reset? some malware can survive a "reset", especially "bootkits", or systems with compromised upstream routers).

After you reset Windows, excuse me, "factory reset", did you go through and spend half a day updating Windows, and your video drivers?

Also, check CPU and GPU temps, using HWMonitor or HWInfo64 or GPU-Z. Check if anything is overheating and potentially throttling. Did you clean out the dust from the CPU and GPU heatsink, when you did the reset? Do you regularly clean them, or "basically never clean the dust"?
I think what you first suposed is the right answer i may have a oem bloatware such as a coin miner malware how do i detect and remove it from my pc for free?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Is this a custom build or an OEM PC like a Dell or HP?

Did you run a true factory reset or the Windows 10/11 reset?

gon4aloxd

Jun 24, 2022
Is this a custom build or an OEM PC like a Dell or HP?

Did you run a true factory reset or the Windows 10/11 reset?
its a custom build. Yes i did a true factory reset.
By the way its normal to my gpu using no voltage? i just downloaded afterburner at it says my gpu voltage is 0 and doesnt move

gon4aloxd

Jun 24, 2022
After the reset, did you install all Windows updates and the latest AMD chipset drivers and Nvidia drivers?
Yes after the reset i checked if there was any windows update and updated it. Then i went to the amd chipset thing and installed all the drivers they recommended me. Then i installed geforce experience and updated my drivers from 0(custom installation)
i even downloaded ryzen master but i dont think that helped at all it just controls the cpu i guess. i dont understand much about it

gon4aloxd

Jun 24, 2022
Did all of your games work perfectly before you ran the reset??
No thats why i did the reset because i was almost certain i had a malware or virus in the pc after downloading a program in a skecthy website. but i installed avast free anti virus and they didnt detect a thing even with a full scan so i dont know anymore. But before reset cpu didnt overuse the gpu in everything, now even doing normal things my cpu % are high as hell

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
No thats why i did the reset because i was almost certain i had a malware or virus in the pc after downloading a program in a skecthy website. but i installed avast free anti virus and they didnt detect a thing even with a full scan so i dont know anymore. But before reset cpu didnt overuse the gpu in everything, now even doing normal things my cpu % are high as hell
Invoke task manager and what is the name of the task taking all the CPU ?

gon4aloxd

Jun 24, 2022
Invoke task manager and what is the name of the task taking all the CPU ?
the main program or game im opening. per example when im using chrome it reachs 40% and when i click to order it it says the chrome is the one consuming more. and when im gaming its the game itself

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Look at Task Manager to see what is using the CPU. Also an antivirus/malware/etc app may by itself be a cause for high CPU % while it is doing its scanning.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So Apex Legends... Is that a game that you are playing ? If so, its taking 1/2 your total CPU power, and you still have 31% left.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
but it shouldnt... look at gpu usage... how do i make it use my gpu no cpu. And btw that was in lobby not even in game
I don't know the game and what its doing. A Ryzen 1600 is not real powerful, and a 1060 is probably a good match, but this is not a huge power system, and without knowing the game, that could be just normal.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OP: How are you measuring "GPU Usage"? Task Manager's "GPU Usage" graph is often inaccurate and understated. Use GPU-Z or MSI AfterBurner's overlay (May not work in Apex legends., some games have strong anti-cheat, so AB can't show overlays in-game.)

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I may have missed the response but going back to @VirtualLarry 's first point - what are the temperatures like? It could be throttling due to the CPU fan being bad or there being a bunch of dust or something. If you go to the performance tab (Desempenho) and click CPU it will tell you the current clock speed.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
but it shouldnt... look at gpu usage... how do i make it use my gpu no cpu. And btw that was in lobby not even in game
Do not rely on Task Manager to check GPU usage. I've run into similar instances where it fails to correctly show the GPU utilization. Use something like GPU-Z or HWMonitor. Far more accurate.