Coworker fired for Athiest views?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Nik

You're making assumptions about how management would handle the situation, but you don't have the balls to actually do anything more than complain about it. Then you're taking that assumption and spinning a whole opinion off of it as if it were a global truth.

Come on now... you're smarter than that.

I like my coworkers. I don't share the same religious beliefs as them, but I like them. I would never be a rat bastard and report them for talking about what makes them feel good.

I think secretly reporting co-workers to management is dishonorable and juvenile. If I honestly had a problem with it, I'd talk to them about it, not management.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: stag3
ok so it looks like someone had an agenda against him, found out some info- this coworker who got fired, had planned on a bbq for monday, july4th. multiple people @ work asked him to make it on sunday instead since they didn't want to show up for work on tuesday hammered. after he changed it to sunday as requested, the rat called HR yet again and complained that it was changed so that christians would not attend the said bbq since it was on sunday and christians had to goto church that day.

wtf is that? a personal BBQ shouldn't be bitched @ to HR. this is pretty lame.

Right. And the whole thing about Christians not being able to do anything on Sunday but go to church is gut-bustingly hilarious :laugh: What a moron!

Who's the moron?

This "whistle blower" actually did this. I say the moron is the person who called HR...

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

You're making assumptions about how management would handle the situation, but you don't have the balls to actually do anything more than complain about it. Then you're taking that assumption and spinning a whole opinion off of it as if it were a global truth.

I like my coworkers. I don't share the same religious beliefs as them, but I like them. I would never be a rat bastard and report them for talking about what makes them feel good.

I think secretly reporting co-workers to management is dishonorable and juvenile. If I honestly had a problem with it, I'd talk to them about it, not management.
This is the correct attitude and the correct course of action.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

So why don't you?

Proletariat

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: brigden
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: LoKe
Can't he sue for discrimination?

I think it would be more along the lines of wrongful termination.

No way. He was a moron for spouting off in a professional environment. Can you imagine a Christian ridiculing a Hindu? They'd be fired in seconds.
I've seen this happen and no one cared. Maybe if it was a Jew.

This is ridiculous. I have been approached at work and given Church propaganda. I didn't like it so I politely told them to back off. I didn't file a request for them to be terminated. Oh well. Thats America in 2005 for ya.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: DurocShark
I don't have the whole story, mostly because management isn't talking. But it seems someone got offended by this coworker's repeated statements of his Athiest views and occasional ridicule of formal religions.

Obviously he isn't quiet about his views, but it really ticks me off that someone is so thin skinned and threatened by someone who believes differently that they would call HR and claim "hostile work environment" over religion.

:|

EDIT: It seems quite a few of you can't read. I never said he ridiculed any individuals. Only religions themselves. And this was in conversations with other athiests. In my opinion it's NO different than religions icons or whatever people have all over their desks.

So if I have a picture of the last supper on my desk, or a crucifix statue, thats no different than someone openly mocking my religion?

For the record I dont, and don't really care what someone says. But if you HONESTLY do not see a difference between displaying religious "paraphrenalia" and MOCKING someones beliefs....I don't know what to tell you.

If you don't like someones beliefs mocking them shows nothing other than you are an immature dipstick. What about it bothers him SO MUCH that he has to openly ridicule a persons beliefs?

So far as I know NOBODY on this planet knows everything there is to know so ANYONE mocking ANYONE else for their beliefs is nothing more than the result of a feeble mind.

If he was an intelligent person and disagreed with religion he wouldn't mock it. You gain nothing from mocking it other than to debase your own position as one held by immature and arrogant children.

The fact that you can't distinguish a fundamental difference between openly mocking a persons beliefs and displaying items related to those beliefs speaks for itself though.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Stefan
If someone wants to have a cross at their office/cubicle that is fine. They are not insulting or hurting anyone and it is not offensive.

You can be damn sure that if someone had a darwin fish on their desk, they'd get complaints about it. Yet when someone has a "Jesus fish" on their desk, they say it's a positive thing.

This is easily said and much more difficult to prove.

Care to back it up with anything, like, facts?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
guess he learned the cardnial rule in a work environment

Never ever discuss religion or politics.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic

Quite frankly, I find your argument to be highly flawed. You're bitching about a problem that you haven't done anything about, that probably only continues because you haven't done anything about it, and using that as the basis to claim that some kind of religious double standard exists. It's almost like a person getting robbed, but not reporting the robbery to the police, and then complaining about how the police never do anything about crime based on that single circumstance!

You're missing the point.

My point is that people are offended by talk about religion... if it's not Christian. If it is Christian, most people think it's OK.

I think that if were to report my coworkers for talking about their Christian religion (which I wouldn't, because they're nice people), nothing would happen to them, they would just be told to quiet it down. BUT, if I was reported for talking about atheism, then I'd be reported (since christians are often offended by this) and I'd be fired on the spot.

My point is that the double standard exists because most of the policymakers at government/businesses believe in Christianity, so they're biased.

Call me a skeptic, because I am, but I want PROOF.

He did NOT get fired for talking about atheism, the OP even said himself that the guy sometimes RIDICULED religion, THATS what you get fired for.

You're a fvcking moron, you know that?

The mods frown upon that kind of talk. I suggest you clean it up or risk getting banned. I'm not one to tolerate that kind of talk.

You are not one to tolerate much of anything.

And since when did you start speaking for the mods?

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: stag3
ok so it looks like someone had an agenda against him, found out some info- this coworker who got fired, had planned on a bbq for monday, july4th. multiple people @ work asked him to make it on sunday instead since they didn't want to show up for work on tuesday hammered. after he changed it to sunday as requested, the rat called HR yet again and complained that it was changed so that christians would not attend the said bbq since it was on sunday and christians had to goto church that day.

wtf is that? a personal BBQ shouldn't be bitched @ to HR. this is pretty lame.

Right. And the whole thing about Christians not being able to do anything on Sunday but go to church is gut-bustingly hilarious :laugh: What a moron!

Who's the moron?

This "whistle blower" actually did this. I say the moron is the person who called HR...

I find it VERY hard to believe that this "information" is true....HR doesn't leak stuff like this for a good reason. $5 says this is more rumor mill BS.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Balthazar

I find it VERY hard to believe that this "information" is true....HR doesn't leak stuff like this for a good reason. $5 says this is more rumor mill BS.

Want my PayPal address?

:laugh:

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I am going to put this VERY clearly for those of you who keep insisting "religious" people are x or y or z.

EVERY group has their fundamentalist, yes, even non-religious.

Everything from the NRA, to PETA, to Greanpeace to the ADA (watch out for those dentists man), to Catholicism to Judaism to....yes even Atheism.

ITS WHAT PEOPLE DO.

A certain segment of the population takes whatever is their fancy and runs full steam ahead with it trying to use it to bash others into submission. This is not a problem with Christianity, its is a problem with HUMANITY.

People can be mindless a-holes, they don't need religion to do it, they don't need a group to do it, they use these things however because its an established point of view, and its easy to warp into a method of beating people down until YOU are better than them.

91ttz, you had a bad experience with PEOPLE, your friend...sorry to say, hes a moron, led on by other morons.
If it wasn't christianity it WOULD have been something else. But because it was you now swear EVERYONE who is a christian is like that.

You have become the very representation of the thing you claim to hate, ignorant, intollerant, condemning. You don't care about the facts, you don't care about what christianity REALLY is (evidenced by so very many false statements from you about the religion), all you know is your friend was an ass, an ass who followed another ass who happened to be a christian, and you come out guns blazing ever since.

Saying ANY large group of peole is SOLELY comprised of one type of person is the single biggest red flag you could POSSIBLY wave around.

And singling someone out as being a certain type of person solely because they belong to that group is the basis of a good part of what is wrong with this world.

My suggestion. Back up, calm down, learn about christianity with an OPEN mind and not just going in looking for ammo.

I'm not saying you need to believe, you just need to know what THEY believe before you start bashing them. Otherwise the only position you weaken is your own. You have NOTHING to gain from continued assaults and inaccurate attacks on christianity, you have the respect of your peers and your own dignity to lose though.

Same goes for every other group of people who have their heads screwed on backwards and upside-down.

btw, I've had people tell me that I am a fool, and idiot, a child and that me believing in god is no better than the tooth fairy or santa claus. So don't you DARE sit there and act like its only christians who believe they are better than everyone else. It is the absolute APEX of ignorance and laziness to attribute a specific behaviour to an entire group of people and it is a particularly dangerous one at that.

Except those pushy holier/smarter than thou people for what they are. Misguided, uninformed people who will use ANYTHING as a cruch, religion, lack of religion, you name it, to try to make themselves seem better than those around them.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000

Want my PayPal address?

:laugh:

Yeah, send it to me along with proof.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Oh and P.S., I am DEAD serious about that. Unlike some people, I will stand behind what I say.

You prove that the BBQ story was true and I will paypal you $5. Consider it a "I'll be damned" beer on me.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
My gf, a christian, told me that she thinks "The ugliest form of bigotry is the belief that everyone who doesn't believe what you do is going to hell."

I agree with her.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: preslove
My gf, a christian, told me that she thinks "The ugliest form of bigotry is the belief that everyone who doesn't believe what you do is going to hell."

I agree with her.

I don't even know about that.

If you believe that (and I'm not saying I do, because I don't) there are two options, you believe in god and goto heaven or you dont and you go to hell, I don't think thats bigotry. Is it right? I don't know, if thats what you believe is going to happen, then thats what you believe.

Believing that is their fate doesn't mean you are intollerant of them, it doesn't mean you think less of them, it just means that you think that will be their fate. Not because you want them to, or because YOU think they should, but because thats the way things are, that you believe that soemone other than you put this system in place and set these rules and this is what will befall them.

Again, I'm not saying its right, that people really WILL go to hell if they don't believe in god. I'm just saying believing that thats how the system works doesn't make you a bigot.

Insisting thats how the system SHOULD work regardless of whether or not it actually does might qualify you for that, but simply believing it doesnt.

If you don't like that, if you don't believe thats how a loving god would handle things, if you don't think that fits, like me, do what I do, don't believe it, try to find something that DOES fit in your eyes. But that doesn't make me right, that very well might be how it works, god really might punt you to ye old lake of fire for not believing. But people who believe that are not neccisarily saying THEY think thats how it should be, that anyone who doesn't believe what they believe SHOULD burn in hell forever.

n.

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

I agree with her.

n.

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Almost time to go home, so can't reply substantially to your post's body, but I prefer the oxford english dictionary

bigot, n. and a.
1. a. A hypocritical professor of religion, a hypocrite. b. A superstitious adherent of religion.

1598 SPEGHT Chaucer, Bigin, bigot, superstitious hypocrite [1602 adds or hypocriticall woman]. 1653 URQUHART Rabelais I. xl, He is no bigot or hypocrite. 1656 BLOUNT Glossogr., Bigot (Fr.), an hypocrite, or one that seems much more holy then he is, also a scrupulous or Superstitious fellow. 1664 H. MORE Myst. Iniq. 436 One part of their Church becomes Sotts and Bigots.

2. A person obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, or ritual.

b. transf. (Of other than religious opinions.)

3. Comb., as bigot-maker.

Anyway. You believe that my choice not to follow YOUR system of belief (which you happen to, probably and usually, be born into :roll: ) damns me to eternal torture by some malevolent former protege of your god head. I see that as tripping up two of the oed's definitions

b. A superstitious adherent of religion.

2. A person obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, or ritual.

It's an absolutely absurd belief, especially if you don't see how it is condescending and obliquely antagonistic.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
First off, not MY belief system, because I don't believe thats what happens, but that immaterial and I get your drift, no sense tripping on the small stuff. :)

Second. I do not believe it qualifies as a "superstitious adherent of religion".
I also do not see the obstinant or unreasonable wedding to such a belief or opinion.

Of all my problems with that particular belief I would NOT say by any stretch that it is absolutely absurd.

I would say it doesn't fit in with other aspects of the religion. I would say that it leads me to think that either god isn't quite so forgiving and loving as they make him out to be OR that certain people influenced the content of the book to make it SEEM like there are fewer options than there really are to help coax people into choosing the "right" way.

I also don't think that neccisarily means there is NO hell, just that it might not be a matter of "love me or burn forever" like some people say it is.

BUT, what keeps me from saying it is absolutely absurd is that I do NOT know everything and have no proof that its NOT correct, the lack of proof that it IS correct does not, imho, qualify it as an absurd belief, not does it qualify those who believe it is the way things are as a bigot.

What I dont like about the OED version of that is that it leaves it a bit up to interpretation.

You don't believe it, it is absurd to you, but not to many others. It constitutes a superstition to you, but not to those who believe it.

Its just a bit too hazy imho. and I'm not willing to go chucking terms like bigot around with weckless abandon. Or at least what I see as such.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I don't have the whole story, mostly because management isn't talking. But it seems someone got offended by this coworker's repeated statements of his Athiest views and occasional ridicule of formal religions.

Obviously he isn't quiet about his views, but it really ticks me off that someone is so thin skinned and threatened by someone who believes differently that they would call HR and claim "hostile work environment" over religion.

:|

EDIT: It seems quite a few of you can't read. I never said he ridiculed any individuals. Only religions themselves. And this was in conversations with other athiests. In my opinion it's NO different than religions icons or whatever people have all over their desks.

Kinda dumb. Good thing my workplace are almost all atheists/agnostics, so no problems like this here.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I agree with her.

Why does she bother to be a Christian then? Just bored on Sunday mornings?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs

I agree with her.

Why does she bother to be a Christian then? Just bored on Sunday mornings?

You don't have to hold that idiotic belief to be a Christian.