Covidiots thread

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What could you possibly think you are arguing here? That knowledge is impossible?

Can you explain why you think we were able to eradicate other viruses but wouldn't be able to with this one?
]/quote]

Im taking at wait and see approach.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Wow, that is an incredibly ignorant and smelly load of misinformation.

I guess to make it more accurate, I should say masking up isnt as good as we first thought (cloth masks are worthless) and vaccines arent nearly as effective against Omicros as others. Is it better overall? Sure. But not nearly as effective as we first thought.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

From your own article, lol:

Australia, which has a population of roughly 25 million people, has reported 2,776 deaths during the pandemic. For comparison, New York, which has a population of about 19.5 million people, has reported 62,073 COVID-19-related deaths so far.

And even if we took their 'record deaths' that rate is roughly HALF what the US is experiencing. Considering we are about 60% vaxxed (ie: twice as unvaxxed) that would fall right in line with expectations of vaccines being enormously effective. Do you guys not think this stuff through?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You know Australia has 1/10th the population, right?

lol
Allow me to assist you with reading:

From your own article, lol:

And even if we took their 'record deaths' that rate is roughly HALF what the US is experiencing. Considering we are about 60% vaxxed (ie: twice as unvaxxed) that would fall right in line with expectations of vaccines being enormously effective. Do you guys not think this stuff through?
You know what a rate is, right? Hint: the size of the population doesn't matter.

Reactions: Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Prisoners given Ivermectin instead of real treatments for Covid, without their consent:

Detainees at an Arkansas jail were given ivermectin without their knowledge or consent, a new lawsuit alleges. As early as November 2020, Dr. Robert Karas, the jail’s doctor, told inmates who had contracted COVID that he was giving them a cocktail of vitamins, antibiotics, and steroids when in fact he was administering dangerously high doses of the dewormer. Ivermectin is not authorized by the FDA to treat or prevent COVID, and the agency has repeatedly told people not to take it outside its approved use as an anti-parasitic.

I am betting privatized, for profit prison system might have something to do with it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Well I guess we can agree to disagree. Remember when we thought if the majority of people got vaxxed it would simply die down? How'd that work out worldwide?

I'd have to go back and look up past remarks, but while we're above 50% vaccinated in some places, I don't believe that's anywhere close to the numbers that have been suggested that we'd need to help stop the virus. It doesn't help that the more recent strains are becoming more and more virulent. Pre-delta, the viral load wasn't considered significant enough if you did catch it while vaccinated, but once Delta hit, they discovered that wasn't the case anymore. If we had worked together early on, it's plausible that we may have never hit Omicron. (It's a counter-factual statement, so I can't really prove it regardless.)

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I guess to make it more accurate, I should say masking up isnt as good as we first thought (cloth masks are worthless) and vaccines arent nearly as effective against Omicros as others. Is it better overall? Sure. But not nearly as effective as we first thought.

Another classic case of moving the goalpost.

Cloth masks were a stopgap due to the lack of medical masks. No sane medical professional ever thought cloth masks were the long term solution. It was a "better than nothing" solution.

Vaccines aren't effective against Omicron because it evolved. Organisms do that. It's been happening since before the first primordial sludge crawled out of the ocean. And it's happen in large part due to the anti-vaxxers refusing the vaccine, thereby causing strains to mutate.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

I think you are great example of life in the conservative propaganda bubble. So misinformed.
Some things to explore and google.
1.) What does masking up mean? Who is the we in that statement? Can you post a reference to any reputable person who would say a kn95 or n95 or kf94 mask is not effective. Also what is the difference between an N95 mask and a cloth mask.
2.) How do vaccines work? What is a vaccine strain? Why is the Covid vaccine we've all taken less effective against Omicron? A good reference would be to google the flu vaccine and see how that vaccine is chosen.

Here is a good chart that helps with the differences in wearing different masks/no mask. Also this was made before the more transmissible omicron variant.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-07-at-6.24.59-PM.png

Dec 10, 2005
Prisoners given Ivermectin instead of real treatments for Covid, without their consent:

I am betting privatized, for profit prison system might have something to do with it.
I saw that earlier: that whole story is so fucked. Giving treatments to people without informed consent should mean the doctor loses their license. And then to top it off, basically giving them treatments that would never work and were not authorized by regulatory authorities - basically illegally experimenting on incarcerated people. WTF.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
An acquaintance, actually the SIL of a friend, and whose daughter I've known for a number of years. He's an engineer, she is a brainiac that got a full ride all the way to a Masters based on her math skills. She teaches some of that terrifying math stuff in a college.

Just lost his dad, and step-mom to COVID within 2 hours of each other. They both died at home and were 65 and 64 respectively. I haven't asked, and won't, but I fully suspect they were MAGA hat wearing anti-vaxxers.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
this is the problem with your type. You don't understand why people disagree with you because you are convinced of your correctness, and no one explaining how things work, that you don't understand, will never convince you that you aren't correct.

So, anyone "disagreeing" with you is just doing it to do it; not because they presented a valid argument to counter your mistaken, unfounded belief.

This is how you handwave away uncomfortable truths: you just assume that the disagreement comes from some prideful vanity, and not because these people actually understand this much better than you.

Stick to your soldering of electrical components or servicing IT tickets or whatever the fuck non-science and non-medical thing that you do and maybe, when actual medical professionals and scientists who know what they are doing selflessly work to keep you alive, you can just assume they know what they are doing and accept their advice as helpful; not some type of uninformed craven attack on what you perceive to be your intelligence.

We don't come to your cubicle and tell you how to file your TPS reports or whateverthefuck useless thing you do, do we?
*chef's kiss*

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Masks are PPE, and PPE is typically a poorly effective means of hazard control. Cloth masks were always known to be poorly constructed for their intended purpose at that even... But really was a "better than nothing" solution that's easily accessible and implementable (unlike building ventilation systems.)

Vaccines are highly effective, and continue to be as long as we have realistic expectations of what they do. Preventing all infections is not realistic.

Vaccines aren't effective against Omicron because it evolved. Organisms do that. It's been happening since before the first primordial sludge crawled out of the ocean. And it's happen in large part due to the anti-vaxxers refusing the vaccine, thereby causing strains to mutate.

There isn't evidence for this claim. The unvaccinated by choicers are a risk, but that's not where the variants of concern have come from.

Delta originated in India prevax rollout.

It's not been established where Omi came from, but leading theories are from an animal reservoir that crossed back to humans, or possibly from an immunocompromised human with a long running (but not lethal) infection that couldn't be cleared from the body.

Vaccines don't eliminate those scenarios. More vaccinations doesn't necc prevent new variants.

Higher vaccination rates create selection pressure for antibody evasion.

Delta is highly transmissible, but only mild reductions in antigenicity. Areas of high vaccination had only mild Delta outbreaks.

Omicron however evades effectively, thus the total cases shoot much higher and it outcompetes.

The problem with the unvaccinated is the risk to the medical system being overwhelmed during an outbreak due to so many severe cases. Not to mention the impact their illness and death does to their families.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I think you are great example of life in the conservative propaganda bubble. So misinformed.
Some things to explore and google.
1.) What does masking up mean? Who is the we in that statement? Can you post a reference to any reputable person who would say a kn95 or n95 or kf94 mask is not effective. Also what is the difference between an N95 mask and a cloth mask.
2.) How do vaccines work? What is a vaccine strain? Why is the Covid vaccine we've all taken less effective against Omicron? A good reference would be to google the flu vaccine and see how that vaccine is chosen.

Here is a good chart that helps with the differences in wearing different masks/no mask. Also this was made before the more transmissible omicron variant.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-07-at-6.24.59-PM.png

1. I never said KN95 or N95 masks are not effective. Dont put words in my mouth. Regarding cloth masks:
Why you should upgrade your mask as the Omicron variant spreads - CNN
"Cloth masks are little more than facial decorations. There's no place for them in light of Omicron," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and visiting professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health

"If all you have is a cloth mask, it's still better than nothing," Wen said. "But you are not well-protected, and you should know that you're not well-protected. And so if you're going to a crowded indoor setting and all you have is a cloth mask, don't go."

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Can you explain why you think we were able to eradicate other viruses but wouldn't be able to with this one?

Isn't it a simple matter, COVID is not those other viruses?
It spreads too easily and replicates too fast within the human body. Total, lasting, immunity is not likely something that could ever be achieved.

Let us know when the Flu or Cold viruses are eradicated. COVID is their big brother, and will forever be with us until medical science advances beyond current limitations.