Covidiots thread

Page 172 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I am not arguing that private business can't do it. They absolutely can mandate vaccination, just wondering why you want your employer to do it unless it been their policy for many years. There is plenty of labor shortage, it seems a bit crazy to take chances that you will have even more labor shortage going forward by mandating vaccination.
.....As opposed to the labor shortage from sick and dead employees, the increased healthcare costs from paying for hospitalizing unvaccinated employees, etc?
My employer mandated the vaccine before there was discussion of a federal mandate and already fired those without an exemption. 35k employees, less than 400 who wouldn't get vaccinated. Considering normal turnover is expected to be 15% they haven't been missed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
.....As opposed to the labor shortage from sick and dead employees, the increased healthcare costs from paying for hospitalizing unvaccinated employees, etc?
My employer mandated the vaccine before there was discussion of a federal mandate and already fired those without an exemption. 35k employees, less than 400 who wouldn't get vaccinated. Considering normal turnover is expected to be 15% they haven't been missed.
It also disproportionately selects out your most insubordinate and antisocial employees which from an HR perspective is very possibly just a win all around.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
This post contains unverified statements and covid misinformation.

Phizer CEO says it does nothing for current strain. Cloth masks to next to nothing. Stats are very over inflated. Vaccinated can transmit just as easy an non vaccinated.

Yet majority of democrats want unvaccinated to be punished by fees and quarantined to their homes.

Science is out the window. Dems want power and punishment. But tell me how Republicans are nazis.

Last edited by a moderator:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Phizer CEO says it does nothing for current strain. Cloth masks to next to nothing. Stats are very over inflated. Vaccinated can transmit just as easy an non vaccinated.

Yet majority of democrats want unvaccinated to be punished by fees and quarantined to their homes.

Science is out the window. Dems want power and punishment. But tell me how Republicans are nazis.

Misrepresentation of what Pfizer CEO said, but what else can we expect from a joke of an Ackmed the ignorant clown post. Consistently stupid and easily debunked, classic Ackmed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Basically everything you said here is stupid nonsense.

I bet you tell other people you are rational and they live based on feelings. If you actually think that, take some time to educate yourself. If you do you will be embarrassed by your post here.

Reactions: pmv

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It also disproportionately selects out your most insubordinate and antisocial employees which from an HR perspective is very possibly just a win all around.

This was my first thought as well. It's just win-win shedding selfish imbeciles.

Some small percentage of employees are a net drain, and I bet the Venn diagram, of draining employees and antivaxxers has big overlap.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
Several hospitals I locums at are desperately asking for help and are >130% capacity. We are a smaller community on the East side of our state but likely not far behind. Staffing is a huge issue. Hurts when staff catch covid and there aren't enough to care for patients.

Apparently 18 states are predicted to exceed capacity in the next 10 days.

The next few weeks are going to be awful. Shoot even my last two were some of the hardest days I have had. Today I had about 5 end of life discussions.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

To expound on what others have said: there are a lot of half-truths or outright false claims here that demonstrate a lack of critical thinking. I get the sense you pick up the whiff of claims, but don't check for reliable sources to verify if they're true.

Also, there's a contradiction. If vaccines did "nothing" for the current strain (they do), cloth masks were largely ineffective (not really true) and the vaccinated could transmit just as easily as the unvaccinated (also not strictly true)... wouldn't that still justify strict lockdowns to prevent the spread from getting out of hand? We know what the "pretend the pandemic doesn't exist" strategy does, particularly with Omicron: giant infection spikes, staff shortages at companies, healthcare stretched past its limits.

Dems actually follow the science. They understand that a pandemic is a problem the entire community shares, and that absolutely everyone has a responsibility to protect each other if they're going to minimize the damage from the latest surge. Republicans? Some respect the science, but others are happy to hospitalize and kill people for the sake of exploiting the pandemic as a wedge issue.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

The fact that you couldn't even be bothered to check the spelling of "Pfizer" seems pretty representative of your general approach. As does the near-meaningless "Stats are very over-inflated". What does that even mean? Which stats? About what topic? And how does being "over-inflated" compare to being inflated by exactly the right amount? What's the correct degree of "inflating" of stats? Can they be '"under-inflated"?

Everything about your stream of nonsense makes it clear you just have an ideological position you want to maintain, and you're just expressing an emotional reaction, not making an argument.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
"Genie oh Genie my wish is this - I want to get infected so that I'm done with Covid"
View attachment 56268

Shared that earlier! I still feel more sad than amused, because her son and his father were both desperately trying to persuade her and she wasn't completely off her rocker. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us here have had trouble persuading a relative they still respected in most areas.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Several hospitals I locums at are desperately asking for help and are >130% capacity. We are a smaller community on the East side of our state but likely not far behind. Staffing is a huge issue. Hurts when staff catch covid and there aren't enough to care for patients.

Apparently 18 states are predicted to exceed capacity in the next 10 days.

The next few weeks are going to be awful. Shoot even my last two were some of the hardest days I have had. Today I had about 5 end of life discussions.

But Florida only reported 3 deaths yesterday. And the day before. And the day before it. Just keep burying the truth.

I'm sorry you have to put up with this. My wife isn't pulling hours like you, but she did end up working over 100 hours in 10 days time in the last few weeks. Can't thank you guys enough for strapping up, putting on your game face and doing that day after day.

Reactions: Perknose

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Flight takes off from Miami for the UK, lands back in Miami an hour later, due to another "unruly" passenger refusing to wear a mask.

151 unruly passenger reports logged this year by the FAA, 92 are mask related. And it's only 1/20.

Airline employees quitting their jobs over this. Flights cancelled. Thank you for the higher ticket prices, assholes.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
This is what happens when Covidiots won't take precautions and go as far as threatening school boards if they make kids / staff wear masks or close a school as a precaution.

The district listed in the article isn't ours, but we are in the same area. We have had student absences hit about 15%, as well as having about a dozen sick teachers and misc staff. We even had a teacher with full blown symptoms who had to teach for several hours before her EA could come in and relieve her. This is the stuff that is happening in red states.

Our admin finally called a 'sick day' for Friday, but went as far to say, 'While positive COVID test results remain low, many seem to have some sort of a virus and recover within a few days '. Totally nuts they won't even acknowledge it's covid because some parents will complain. Later our large local district did the same (linked article).

The covidiots in the area can't possibly fathom why this happened. It blows my mind how ignorant and obtuse they can be on this topic. No, it's not just a cold and this is what happens if you let it spread like wild fire. But no worries, we'll be back in school Monday, rinse / repeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
GOP targets mask mandates in schools (WV).

HB 4071 would prohibit schools, educational institutions, and elected or appointed officials from imposing mask mandates for COVID-19 on students or school employees. The bill prohibits mandatory COVID-19 testing for asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic students and staff. The bill also prohibits quarantines or isolation of students and staff unless they have a confirmed positive COVID-19 test.

The bill doesn’t prohibit parents from sending their students to school masked, not does it prohibit anyone from wearing a mask. But it does allow for students and parents to bring legal action against schools that violate the provisions of the bill.

“As the lead sponsor of this bill, as a father for four, as a relative of instructors, administrators, and school personnel, I’ve heard overwhelmingly from my district and overwhelmingly from all interested parties,” said Del. Jordan Maynor, R-Raleigh. “I think it’s time to empower parents, to empower individuals to start making these decisions.”

Del. Heather Tully, R-Nicholas, said that parents concerned about the elimination of mask mandates, testing, and stricter quarantine rules have other options available to them.

“We have homebound instruction. We have West Virginia virtual school. We have home school options. The parents could elect to send the child to a private school or a charter school if we ever get one up and running eventually,” Tully said. “So, there are other options to pursue education outside of the public school system if a parent would be so upset about the lack of a mask mandate or quarantine guidelines.”

There are so many things wrong with the the way the GOP think I don't even know where to begin. Most kids might not get seriously ill BUT they are around staff and can bring it back home where they get their parents and/or grandparents sick. If adults get sick it's a crap shoot not to mention when adults are sick they have to miss work causing all kinds of issues. Death panels are very real and are being systematically implemented by the former republican party. It's virtue signaling with a price.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
GOP targets mask mandates in schools (WV).

There are so many things wrong with the the way the GOP think I don't even know where to begin. Most kids might not get seriously ill BUT they are around staff and can bring it back home where they get their parents and/or grandparents sick. If adults get sick it's a crap shoot not to mention when adults are sick they have to miss work causing all kinds of issues. Death panels are very real and are being systematically implemented by the former republican party. It's virtue signaling with a price.

There is something going around, along with COVID.

I had to take a half day off today so my wife who is a SBO could work. Since our schools have notified us that both the pre school and kindergarten kids have been exposed. Along with the weather, AND staff shortages.

Our 5 yr old who is in preschool/daycare, has been to school/daycare a total of 4 days since Holiday break ended on Jan. 3rd.

She had fever last night, 101.2f I think it was, with belly ache. Seems fine today. They could both smell garlic. That was our test we used to see if they could still smell. Can't vax them while sick, our 5 yr old had a negative test on Jan 12th. Have to go get another one for her and her 6yr old sister.

EDIT: what I wanted to mention from your link was that this appears to be the start of their "privatization efforts" seeing as how that district does NOT have private or charter schools available.

Del. Heather Tully, R-Nicholas, said that parents concerned about the elimination of mask mandates, testing, and stricter quarantine rules have other options available to them.

“We have homebound instruction. We have West Virginia virtual school. We have home school options. The parents could elect to send the child to a private school or a charter school if we ever get one up and running eventually,” Tully said.

Way to go Tully.