Covidiots thread

Page 150 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
There are religious exemptions for COVID mandates as well and the places that don’t allow them are the same ones that don’t allow religious exemptions for the other vaccines either.

I’m pretty sure I already corrected you on this in the past, why did you try it again?
It's much easier to get religious exemption for schools. Also you ignored philosophical objection that many state also got. The fact is that kids can avoid getting vaccinated if parents don't want them to.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
If you were born in this country attending school is compulsory and to do that you need to have about a dozen vaccinations. If you immigrate here we also require you to get a number of vaccinations. Yes, a truly committed person can avoid them but they are at least as strict as the COVID mandates in a practical sense.

So basically all those vaccines are mandated for adults because they were mandated when those adults were children.

Vaccination mandates have been a basic fact of life in America for many many decades now.

Your numbers are...uh...exaggerated

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Uhmm, have you been following the news? As of today his legal victories mean mandates are going into place for about 2/3rds of the population in a month.
Actually there is a hearing in front of SCOTUS on the 7th and they will issue the ruling soon after that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Again, the level of childishness displayed here is mind-blowing, but par for the course. It's either all or nothing with you guys, a slippery slope doesn't even exist anymore, which in itself is more scary than this damn virus. Y'all have lost your minds....

You probably did not intend for me to literally LOL at this post when you specifically named the fallacy being invoked.

Reactions: MrPickins

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's much easier to get religious exemption for schools. Also you ignored philosophical objection that many state also got. The fact is that kids can avoid getting vaccinated if parents don't want them to.
No, the states that lack those exemptions for COVID lack religious or philosophical exemptions too. For example California only permits medical exemptions, nothing else. It’s essentially the same, you just didn’t know what you’re talking about.

Reactions: Zorba

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
OK, so their estimate is only 1 in 4 infections is reported. So even by that metric, 1.8 million (the number from the ABC article) times 4 is 7.2 million. Now this 1 in 4 is for ALL cases, including unvaccinated people, which are FAR more likely to have a bad disease outcome.

It's not unreasonable to think there are MORE unreported infections among vaccinated, don't you agree? Do you have a better estimate of how many breakthrough infections there have been so far?
You're making the same mistake you did earlier. This is a lifetime model, you need to remember we started in February 2020 with zero surveillance testing. So over time, the ratio of total infections to lab-confirmed cases has been dropping. The 4:1 ratio is not static at all.

IIRC CDC is actually on record as saying that nowadays the ratio is in the neighborhood of 2:1. It is almost certainly not as high as 3:1, but I would consider that a worst case scenario. My point is you can't just hand wave and claim there probably were 10M breakthrough infections when there is no data to support that claim. To be fair, if you guessed 5M, that would be a reasonable estimate for that time period.

Reactions: eikelbijter

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
No, the states that lack those exemptions for COVID lack religious or philosophical exemptions too. For example California only permits medical exemptions, nothing else. It’s essentially the same, you just didn’t know what you’re talking about.
California only dropped their exemption in 2012 if i remember correctly. There is many more states that have it. But you're welcome to close your eyes and ignore it.

Mar 11, 2004
Again, the level of childishness displayed here is mind-blowing, but par for the course. It's either all or nothing with you guys, a slippery slope doesn't even exist anymore, which in itself is more scary than this damn virus. Y'all have lost your minds....

The lack of self awareness on your part is hilarious, and par for the course with you insipid clowns. You are displaying all the points you're complaining about but you think everyone else is childish for taking a virus that's killed likely over a million Americans in just 2 years as being more serious than having to deal with a little bit of hassle to go to a chain restaurant. Its so absurd that no one can take you seriously, which is why your posts get the response they do. It shows you both don't have any comprehension for either situation, which is also, sadly, par for the course with people like you. So either you don't think the Holocaust was that bad (a common belief with people making the same arguments you are), or you give no shits that a virus that has accomplished about 1/5 of what the Nazis did with the Holocaust (so far in about 2/5 the time) is inconsequential while trying to claim its everything else that the Nazis did was the bad part. In other words, you don't even seem to understand how grossly stupid your argument is, or you are just straight up saying you're cool with millions of people dying so you can be a dickhead and trample other peoples' freedoms because yours are the only ones that actually matter.

(Those figures are just for America by the way. And that's before we even know what long term damage getting full blown COVID without vaccination will do.)

When you're ready to act like an adult let us know and we'll maybe treat you like one. But your actions speak for themselves. Don't like getting "childish" responses then don't post childish nonsense arguments that are only fit to wipe my ass with if you printed them out on toilet paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Thats not true. Look at all the posters who have jumped all over him. People care.

True, I suppose it’s just pathetic how thirsty that dude is for attention. People here love to feed the trolls. Must be all bored stuck at work.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So what? Its a state by state requirement. Youre using anecdotal information. TX for example only requires 7
That’s, uhm, not what an anecdote is.

From this site Texas appears to require at least 11. You realize the MMR vaccine is actually three vaccines made into one product, right? It’s like how they are talking about combining COVID and the flu - they are still two distinct things.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Boosters with the original vaccine recipe will give about 2 months of sterilizing protection against Omicron, so unless you want to force EVERYBODY to get a shot EVERY 2 months, we are mopping with the faucet wide open.

Listen, after listening to MANY lectures from MIT to Stanford, to docs from all over the world, it has become clear to me that we pretty much KNEW already that sterilizing protection against a coronavirus doesn't last much longer than 6 months after natural immunity, although protection against severe disease lasts much longer. Here is a fantastic in depth explanation about viral immunology.

Michel Nussenzweig: "Viral immunology" (9/29/20) - YouTube

It shows how infection with a particular virus will create a range of antibodies, some of which bind perfectly, but some that are just a little different. Your body keeps them around in ever decreasing numbers, but the recipe is there. When a variant arises that is different enough from the original strain so that the perfect match ABs for the original don't fit anymore, chances are there ARE some ABs that DO fit if the variant is not TOO different. Your system can then ramp up production of the ones that fit perfectly, plus again a range of course for potential future variants.

Bottom line is, in the middle of October we already had more than 10 thousand fully vaccinated Americans who had died of Covid anyway; if the vaccine efficacy against death is 99.9% as it seems (a little more maybe), that means we had already had 10 MILLION breakthrough infections. IN OCTOBER, before Omicron.

Just found this from ABC News: "While federal data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is incomplete, only accounting for a subset of states, the analysis found that between April and November, more than 16,700 vaccinated people had died -- the vast majority since the start of the delta variant's surge, earlier this summer." This was BEFORE Omicron.
2 simple questions. In a hypothetical situation where 100% of population is vaccinated but breakthrough infections and deaths are possible what percentage of deaths are in vaccinated individuals?

Does that mean the vaccine is a failure?
You're welcome keep getting booster for the rest of your life but i am done.
Hi Done, I’m Paratus

That is your choice to make. Your other choice is to wear biohazard suit level A. That way you almost certainly not get infected. What you do is your decision to make as that is your choice.
I choose to wear an N99 equivalent mask with a valve. Normally I have the valve disabled to protect both myself and others but around folks like you I could enable it.

This is a free country as you said so im free to protect myself while potentially infecting you, your kids, and any immune compromised family members. Right?
This is EXACTLY the fascist playbook, safety above EVERYTHING. Fact is, life is dangerous; we must COLLECTIVELY agree on what's reasonable and what isn't. Fact is, NOBODY is 100% "safe" and nothing is more dangerous than doing everything possible to get from 99.4% to 99.9%.

Think about driving, which kills 40 thousand people per year in the US. If we lower the maximum speed, the number of deaths goes down. Why don't we make the maximum 20 mph? Because the benefits don't outweigh the costs to society.
We fascistly force you buy new cars with seat belts, multiple airbags, crumple zones, backup cameras, and to carry insurance I guess

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
That’s, uhm, not what an anecdote is.

From this site Texas appears to require at least 11. You realize the MMR vaccine is actually three vaccines made into one product, right? It’s like how they are talking about combining COVID and the flu - they are still two distinct things.

OK champ.

Nevertheless. My original point remains the same. IRT Omicron, the only benefit of getting a vax or booster is protection for yourself.

And BTW Im vaxxed, but not getting booster. So not anti-COVID vax.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I thought this was appropriate

what-do-you-mean-you-dont-have-the-12th-booster-shot-scared-patient-covid-corona-virus.jpg

Reactions: weblooker2021

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
OK champ.

Nevertheless. My original point remains the same. IRT Omicron, the only benefit of getting a vax or booster is protection for yourself.
Wait, I already showed you this was wrong. Vaccination reduces your likelihood of infection even by Omicron, just not by as much, so this claim is false.

So only modestly anti-vax. Congratulations.

Reactions: blackangst1

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
OK champ.

Not boosted you know Omicron is gonna pierce right through right? Can you afford taking one week, two weeks off `work while fighting this super flu?

• Haha
Reactions: blackangst1

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What I don’t get is why people care about getting shots. As I’ve said before I used to be very against getting shots but then I turned ten. They simply aren’t a big deal for any functioning adult.
Lighten up dude. Im a type 1 diabetic and have been having shots for 55 years. So that aint me.
I have travelled to 13 countries and have been vaxxed for every trip so that aint me.

Not sure who youre preaching to.