Covidiots thread

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is some delicious irony. South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem says workers who don't want to work for employers mandating vaccinations should find other jobs.
Conservatives are hilariously upset that she won't ban vaccine mandates. (I happened upon this site through one of those news aggregator things built into opera)

1) what happened to small government not dictating what businesses do?
2) where are those bootstraps?
Are you confused by her non-logical edicts? I sure am. Cruelty, yes it's a feature.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I just thank gawd that Americans had a brain during the polio epidemic. Otherwise we'd still be battling polio as well. Or should I say battling the polio deniers and antiVaxxers. I don't know where America went wrong? We once believed in the common cause like eliminating polio and fighting WWII Hitler and protecting ones neighbors from harm. Now it's don't trust the government, don't trust science, don't trust vaccines, and screw your neighbors let them die. Selfish and ignorance rules the day. And it only took Donald Trump four years.... four years..... four short years..... Scary how only four short years can tear down 200 years of progress.

Wait, that not possible. At the time the polio vaccine was developed and became widely available we had a republican in the White House.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Some covidiot asked my wife if she really had to wear her mask, at the grocery store yesterday. Yes, because you won't, she says.
He makes some other numbskull comment about it being fake. She would have been better off ignoring him.
I think this goes right along with her being a woman and him being a sexist shitheel, as well as stupid. Nobody says shit to me. They might give me a touch of side eye, but they are not brave enough to open their piehole because *I* might be a knuckle dragger who would be all to happy to shut it for them.
I certainly would be all too happy to remind them to MYOB.

That's the norm.
Man wears a mask.
You get side eye.

Woman wears a mask?
Middle aged men all of a sudden get mouthy with bullshit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I have been seeing a lot of "no more lockdowns libs" stuff from online conservative antivaxx people....I wonder if anybody has told them that's not in the cards.

Like I've talked to not a soul who's gotten vaccinated that thinks we should do that again.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have been seeing a lot of "no more lockdowns libs" stuff from online conservative antivaxx people....I wonder if anybody has told them that's not in the cards.

Like I've talked to not a soul who's gotten vaccinated that thinks we should do that again.

I look at the numbers in the Northeast and I don't see a way lockdowns are coming at all. The key metric is hospitalizations and we are doing very well here. Unless a new variant comes out which tears through vaccinated people, I don't see that changing.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
I look at the numbers in the Northeast and I don't see a way lockdowns are coming at all. The key metric is hospitalizations and we are doing very well here. Unless a new variant comes out which tears through vaccinated people, I don't see that changing.

It depends on the degree those more susceptible to this virus are vaccinated: if there's ... say ... 20% of those 65+ not vaccinated, then they may face a new crisis with Delta while the other 80% are much more safeguarded.

Just because the percentage of those vaccinated is high, doesn't necessarily mean that those more susceptible are all (or close to) vaccinated.

For example, here in Portugal, this is the current distribution of the vaccines (click to enlarge):

Screenshot from 2021-08-02 20-46-46.png

As can be seen, 94%+ of those aged 65 to 79 are fully vaccinated and 96% of those aged 80+ are also fully vaccinated, which means a VERY LARGE percentage of those most susceptible and now protected against more severe effects from this virus. Dunno if those that aren't vaccinated are due to other medical conditions that prevent them or if it's their refusal to be vaccinated: no data available on that.

Portugal is currently experiencing a 4th wave with this Delta variant but our R number has FINALLY gone below 1 (was @ 1.19 just 3 weeks ago). We were having an average of around 3.4K new daily cases (the equivalent of 108K when accounting for the population difference VS USA) over a 7 day period but it is now dropping and is currently around 2.55K. Portugal has already announced restrictions lifting based on vaccination goals.

If your location has a similar age distribution of vaccines as Portugal, then you are most likely correct and the odds of a new lockdown being required are very slim, assuming ofc no "more troublesome variants" come our way.

Feb 4, 2009
Imagine the outrage of the President either refused send this team or sent them and said:
“I shouldn’t have to, these people have been very, very unfair to me”

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
A common theme among the unwashed/unvaccinated idiot posters online: "I'm not getting the vaccine, I've done the research" lol. Okay, so you have a 1.1% chance of getting the virus if you're already vaccinated so it's a bad move statistically versus not getting the vaccine. Got it.

Sounds like a poster on here.

Yeah, what Fing research are you doing on the internet, and how are you going to learn more than the professional Drs, epidemiologists, vaccine researchers, CDC and FDA?

F off with your bullshit and just say you are scared of the needle and want to roll the dice with the virus and be done.

Reactions: Zorba

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Nope. That's why we nutted up and got vaccinated.

Only shutdowns that may happen is in the unvaccinated areas where the virus is running out of control and all the workers get sick.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
It depends on the degree those more susceptible to this virus are vaccinated: if there's ... say ... 20% of those 65+ not vaccinated, then they may face a new crisis with Delta while the other 80% are much more safeguarded.

Just because the percentage of those vaccinated is high, doesn't necessarily mean that those more susceptible are all (or close to) vaccinated.

For example, here in Portugal, this is the current distribution of the vaccines (click to enlarge):

View attachment 48160

As can be seen, 94%+ of those aged 65 to 79 are fully vaccinated and 96% of those aged 80+ are also fully vaccinated, which means a VERY LARGE percentage of those most susceptible and now protected against more severe effects from this virus. Dunno if those that aren't vaccinated are due to other medical conditions that prevent them or if it's their refusal to be vaccinated: no data available on that.

Portugal is currently experiencing a 4th wave with this Delta variant but our R number has FINALLY gone below 1 (was @ 1.19 just 3 weeks ago). We were having an average of around 3.4K new daily cases (the equivalent of 108K when accounting for the population difference VS USA) over a 7 day period but it is now dropping and is currently around 2.55K. Portugal has already announced restrictions lifting based on vaccination goals.

If your location has a similar age distribution of vaccines as Portugal, then you are most likely correct and the odds of a new lockdown being required are very slim, assuming ofc no "more troublesome variants" come our way.

The vaccination rates amongst the older population is high. It's the 18-40 demographic that's bringing the numbers down.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
The vaccination rates amongst the older population is high. It's the 18-40 demographic that's bringing the numbers down.

That's not my point: if the rate of vaccination for those more susceptible isn't VERY high (think 95%+), then there's the risk of suffering HUGE number of hospitalizations. If they get infected, the odds of them requiring hospitalization are way WAY higher than the rest of the population and, because we're talking about a HUGE number of people, they are more than enough to swarm hospitals, to the point a lockdown MAY be required.

If you look @ the picture in my previous post, only 40% of Portugal's aged 25 to 49 are vaccinated, which is completely to be expected because we started with older / more susceptible 1st and have since vaccinated younger and younger people, having just started with aged 16 to 17. In fact, we had to slow down our rate of vaccination due to lack of vaccines.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Arkansas Congressman Rick Crawford has said that he doesn't know if COVID-19 is worse than the common cold. But his voting base is dwindling.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tennessee has sent nearly half a million dollars to farmers who have vaccinated their cattle against respiratory diseases and other maladies over the past two years, but won't incentivize covid shots

Well that’s because GOP leadership sees their base as sheep. And we all know what shepherds use sheep for. “Sheep pussy is gritty.” — Newt Gingrich, statesman.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The horse-worms drug that Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham have been urging their viewers to go to vet stores to buy --- and to take instead of COVID-19 vaccines -- has been exposed as being, well, okay for horses with worms, but not so good for humans:

Gonna be a big group of nominees for the next Darwin awards. But their pipes will be clean.

Can the CDC shut down FOX when they are a public health risk?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
^^^

Dr Leana Wen, an enemy of free people?
GTFO.

Last edited:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Another anti vaxxer gone.

Texas GOP Official Mocked COVID Five Days Before He Died of Virus

"Recently, he suggested that mask mandates in Germany were akin to Nazism. And when former Baltimore health commissioner Leana Wen celebrated good news this spring about the Pfizer vaccine’s efficacy, a seemingly outraged Apley called her “an absolute enemy of a free people.”

Dr Leana Wen, an enemy of free people?
GTFO.

Excellent. I do love when evil takes one in the nads. One less piece of shit on the planet. Things are looking up just a little bit each day. Hope those sane people around him don't have to suffer as well.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Here's one of the "dirty dozen" misinformation spreaders.
Too chickenshit to talk to a reporter. Shows Randi Kaye of CNN
trying to get mercola to talk but he jumps back on his bike and rides away.

CNN airs hot pursuit for Florida doctor accused of spreading COVID-19 misinformation

but he replies to the CNN email account with this.
"The segment continued with Kaye noting her team got a response from Mercola via email, including the message:
"I encourage every person to fully educate themselves to make individual decisions about medical risk-taking." "

efffing douchecanoe anti-vaxxer

Vaccinations

Mercola has been highly critical of vaccines and vaccination policy, claiming that too many vaccines are given too soon during infancy. He hosts anti-vaccination activists on his website, advocates other measures rather than vaccination in many cases such as using vitamin D rather than a flu shot despite the data not being conclusive[3][25] and strongly criticizes influenza vaccines. Mercola is viewed by many as an anti-vaccine propagandist.[26] As of 2019, he has donated at least $4 million to anti-vaccine groups though his Natural Health Research Foundation, including more than $2.9 million to the anti-vaccination group the National Vaccine Information Center, amounting to about 40 percent of that organization's funding.[3] He co-funded an anti-vaccination ad in Times Square in 2011.[26]

Mercola has asserted that thimerosal, a vaccine preservative, is harmful due to its mercury content.[27] Thimerosal has been removed from most vaccines given to young children in the U.S., with no effect on rates of autism diagnosis.[28][29] Extensive evidence has accumulated since 1999 showing that this preservative is safe,[30] with the World Health Organization stating in 2006 that "there is no evidence of toxicity in infants, children or adults exposed to thimerosal in vaccines."[30][31]

In March 2021, an analysis of Twitter and Facebook anti-vaccine content found Mercola's to be one of 12 individual and organization accounts producing up to 65% of all anti-vaccine content on the platforms.[10] As of June 2021, his various social media channels accounted for a total audience exceeding 4.1 million followers

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay