Covidiots thread

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fools that will kill animals and humans...slowly but steadily. Trash and more trash.

Covid-19 PPE litter is killing wildlife - CNN

And once again, we're the problem. It'd be interesting to know where exactly the trash is coming from. Are people just discarding it on the street?

FWIW, I use re-usable face masks as much as possible, and only use a latex glove at the gas pump. Don't lick you hands, rub your eyes, use hand sanitizer / wash your hands...and the transmission risk from touch is greatly reduced.

Snipping the loops of disposable masks is a good idea, and I haven't been doing that, but will now!

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
And once again, we're the problem. It'd be interesting to know where exactly the trash is coming from. Are people just discarding it on the street?

FWIW, I use re-usable face masks as much as possible, and only use a latex glove at the gas pump. Don't lick you hands, rub your eyes, use hand sanitizer / wash your hands...and the transmission risk from touch is greatly reduced.

Snipping the loops of disposable masks is a good idea, and I haven't been doing that, but will now!
I've seen masks laying around in parking lots and such so it does seem like some people are just tossing them.
Had that guy known how hard it is to buy a bike nowadays, he might have thought twice about using it as a weapon.
There's a guy by me who fixes up old bikes and resells them, I see a bunch of cars there everyday picking up bikes he must be doing great right now. Downside is his front yard looks like a junkyard filled with old bikes.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I've seen masks laying around in parking lots and such so it does seem like some people are just tossing them.

Same here, from Walmarts at trashy neighborhoods to new Kroger at upper class area. Masks and masks plus plastic bottles and some plastic gloves. Trashy fools are everywhere.

<sad panda>

Reactions: hal2kilo

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I work outta my car quite a bit, I've had a few masks blow away and I've had to chase them. Like a classic comedy skit...

It's unfortunate that people STILL haven't learned to care about our planet. This is not caused by the pandemic, many people are just lazy or choose not to care.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Same here, from Walmarts at trashy neighborhoods to new Kroger at upper class area. Masks and masks plus plastic bottles and some plastic gloves. Trashy fools are everywhere.

<sad panda>
But the wal-warts also have the diapers full of shit littering the parking lot. Only the bottom crust of societies pond scum shop at wal-wart.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Welcome to Texas ~ where you get sued if you try to enforce public health measures
Now, five Katy ISD parents are suing the district for $100,000 over requiring students to wear a face covering, claiming it harms the children.

"Almost 70 years later, it appears that defendant Katy ISD Superintendent Kenneth Gregorski has forgotten the lessons of Brown v Board of Education, by implementing a policy that fails to make education available to all on equal terms," the lawsuit reads. "This lawsuit seeks to protect children from irrational and unconstitutional policy that provides false sense of security, but has the actual effect of harming children."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

same, but ime, they are also specifically near areas of public trash and concentrated public areas--like parks and Metro stations. At least where I am, I've noticed that garbage pickup in general is pretty terrible. Every day they come buy, there is more trash on the street from where they are dumping trash into their trucks, so I think it's also just a case of "more things thrown away on a regular basis = more trash than usual from normal from inefficient waste management."

But, I know that isn't the only thing. Some people are just assholes.

Reactions: hal2kilo

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Welcome to Texas ~ where you get sued if you try to enforce public health measures
Now, five Katy ISD parents are suing the district for $100,000 over requiring students to wear a face covering, claiming it harms the children.

"Almost 70 years later, it appears that defendant Katy ISD Superintendent Kenneth Gregorski has forgotten the lessons of Brown v Board of Education, by implementing a policy that fails to make education available to all on equal terms," the lawsuit reads. "This lawsuit seeks to protect children from irrational and unconstitutional policy that provides false sense of security, but has the actual effect of harming children."

good luck with that. And I do hope that when these nonsense, wasteful lawsuits are tossed out as they will be, that judges order payment of all court costs + fines for "wasting the public's time and being a fucking nuisance and threat to public safety" on these fucking MAGA plaintiffs.

seriously, fuck these people and fine them into oblivion. The world is better off if we don't have to listen to their mewling.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Did they combine to form a Mega-Karen?

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009

Israel infected with a serious case of wtf stupid

as I’ve said, I would not load a virus passport on my phone unless it was 100% necessary. I just don’t see a use for one in the US at least.
Only real value would be for big events like a concert or baseball game, scan a QR code thingy and good to go otherwise walking around with the paper should be good enough.
I am not concerned about which vaccine I received becoming public. I am concerned with what data the app captures and what tracking does it perform regarding my location or purchases and who has access to that data.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
His "Don't you know who I know statement" is
"I own stock in Disney"
Fool.

I spent $15,000': Man arrested at Disney resort in Florida after refusing temperature check

This is from Feb, but the body cam footage was released recently.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
His "Don't you know who I know statement" is
"I own stock in Disney"
Fool.

I spent $15,000': Man arrested at Disney resort in Florida after refusing temperature check

This is from Feb, but the body cam footage was released recently.
My favorite is when he asked for a temperature check before hauled away. The deputy told him "they will do that at the jail".

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Maybe people are just dropping them by accident? Take them off when coming out of a shop, shove them in a pocket...then it falls out. I've lost a couple over the last year.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Got to be serious mental health issues there, surely? Can't just be politics/anti-vaxx sentiment?
It is probable that there are serious mental health issues involved but living here... it is certainly not precluded to be solely politics/anti-vaxx sentiment.