Covidiots thread

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
I don't claim to know exactly what every post in this thread is about. But, the posts I have read appear to be a raging diatribe about those not wanting to wear masks, etc... I get that, and understand where folks are coming from. And... I'm not out to make anyone feel stupid for beliefs they have... But I do think it's fundamentally unhealthy for a society to form passionate beliefs around emotional rhetoric rather than facts. I have no idea who the YouTuber at the link below is, but his point is well taken. Some context:

1) I have no formal medical education, but have a BS in Mechnical Engineering, so trained to trust "facts" backed by good statistical data. Over the last 30 years (much of which spent analyzing data on failure review boards) its clear that emotional rhetoric used in the context of data reduction is meaningless.

2) I was one of the first people prepping for the pandemic. I was buying items I knew would be in short supply back in January. I'm a believer in being prepared for things like pandemics - they're serious business.

3) I suspect I've already had Covid and got over it after I had the worst flu of my life early this year.

4) I wear a mask when at an indoor public venue for any place that requires it. Do I think this makes ME more safe? NO. Common sense and various medical professionals have explained the fallacy of this thinking. I do this to "live and let live". It's a minor inconvenience that I can tolerate to let people who live their life in fear feel less stressed out. I'm also a believer in "law" and if there's something asked of me that doesn't violate my moral conscience, I'll generally acquiesce to keep the peace.

5) Do I think other people wearing masks keeps me "more safe" than if they weren't? Of course in some marginal way. But is it the least bit "reckless" by talking to someone without one? Of course not - the statistical data to say otherwise just isn't there. My daily life is filled with many more hazardous activities than talking to someone without a mask. Is it worth getting my panties in a bunch if someone doesn't want to wear a mask relative to many other activities I can't force on them? NO.

6) Mask use outdoors. Assumption is that poeple who do this are people with IQs in the low 80s, those not in the habit of thinking for themselves, or lacking in education.

7) I can't think of a more fact obscured event in human history. I've been tracking numbers since the start and have been amazed at how hard it is to actually get numbers that really matter in the context. It truly is like the never-ending hunt for facts that never add up or changed facts, etc...

Will the real covidiots please stand up?

I'm curious to see how folks in this thread see the video. Does it make you feel angry, and only increases your desire to "prove a point" and call others ignorant, selfish, etc for them seeing things differently than you, or does it make you raise an eyebrow and wonder how politicized this pandemic has been? I promise you I'm neither Democrat or Republican, and try to stay as far away from both that I can... There is some interesting observations in the YT comments...

Last edited:

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I read in the other thread in OT that the death toll attributed to that wedding is now 3 & those 3 were not at the wedding. Total number of positives from contact tracing is at 147.
Is it possible to sue? There has to be some way to sue them for reckless behaviour and harm.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
I read in the other thread in OT that the death toll attributed to that wedding is now 3 & those 3 were not at the wedding. Total number of positives from contact tracing is at 147.

A perfect illustration of why it's important that ALL follow medical guidelines: ignoring guidelines and getting infected can get others killed.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I know that guy does plenty of spoof videos. I'm going to assume that he's making a serious point and you're posting it in all seriousness as well. So:

Oh jesus, the "they didn't specifically die from covid" argument.

Covid's severity, as with many diseases, is likely to increase if one has relevant co-morbidities. For example, if you have a heart attack and you're morbidly obese, the likelihood of you surviving it drops. If you do die directly after a heart attack, should your death certificate read the cause of death as a heart attack or being fat?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I submit Maine pastor Todd Bell:

- Flies into a small town to officiate a large wedding—30 guests end up infected and bring Covid to town for the first time (2 have now died) and also back to their homes/places of work to start new clusters
- Pastor flies back to Sanford—now Covid positive—and spreads Covid to his congregation (no mask mandate/no social distancing at his church)
- When Maine CDC contact traces the cluster back to the wedding and informs Bell he is likely infected—he holds more church events THE NEXT DAY. “I love liberty,” he said in [in his sermon]. “And I want the people of God to enjoy liberty.” Also, “They are lining all of us up to get a vaccine, that we know is going to be 40 to 60 percent productive,” he said Sunday. “If you don’t mind aborted baby tissue, fetal tissue, to be injected into you, then go on and get the vaccine. But here this morning, I mind that. That’s against my conscience.”

And now this: https://www.mainepublic.org/post/sa...ak-will-open-next-week-amid-community-concern

what the fuck is wrong with this scum?

that pastor fuck should be in jail for murder.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Snopes explains-

We'll start to see a new comorbidity factor soon- seasonal influenza. I'm sure a person could have covid & the flu at the same time...
Perhaps the only saving grace will be masks and social distancing to help prevent the spread of the flu on top of COVID.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
4) I wear a mask when at an indoor public venue for any place that requires it. Do I think this makes ME more safe? NO. Common sense and various medical professionals have explained the fallacy of this thinking. I do this to "live and let live". It's a minor inconvenience that I can tolerate to let people who live their life in fear feel less stressed out. I'm also a believer in "law" and if there's something asked of me that doesn't violate my moral conscience, I'll generally acquiesce to keep the peace.

There is emerging research that points to masking resulting in less severe or even asymptomatic infections due to reduced viral exposure. It is known that exposure to heavy viral load increases the severity of disease. Reducing that load by universal masking does appear to confer some protective benefit.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Well the host has a point. If everyone one else are currently infected /s

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Quebec (lol)
Auckland NZ
gyqx4d792mm51.jpg

is this the related brain damage caused by covid 19?

• Wow

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I don't claim to know exactly what every post in this thread is about. But, the posts I have read appear to be a raging diatribe about those not wanting to wear masks, etc... I get that, and understand where folks are coming from. And... I'm not out to make anyone feel stupid for beliefs they have... But I do think it's fundamentally unhealthy for a society to form passionate beliefs around emotional rhetoric rather than facts. I have no idea who the YouTuber at the link below is, but his point is well taken. Some context:

I'm curious to see how folks in this thread see the video. Does it make you feel angry, and only increases your desire to "prove a point" and call others ignorant, selfish, etc for them seeing things differently than you, or does it make you raise an eyebrow and wonder how politicized this pandemic has been? I promise you I'm neither Democrat or Republican, and try to stay as far away from both that I can... There is some interesting observations in the YT comments...
Bottom line you have morgues and hospitals filling up where they are using trailers to absorb the overflow. Argue the numbers sure. However something is killing the global population out of normal proportion.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Bottom line you have morgues and hospitals filling up where they are using trailers to absorb the overflow. Argue the numbers sure. However something is killing the global population out of normal proportion.

Nuh-uhh! It's a hoax! They're all crisis actors paid by Soros & the Deep State Democrats! Put your faith in Jesus & his chosen leader for America, Donald Trump!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I wish people wanting to make a case would post their argument in their own words, rather than expecting people to sit and passively watch youtube videos (unless they have a particularly good musical soundtrack, I'm not going to bother).

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004

1) I have no formal medical education, but have a BS in Mechnical Engineering, so trained to trust "facts" backed by good statistical data. Over the last 30 years (much of which spent analyzing data on failure review boards) its clear that emotional rhetoric used in the context of data reduction is meaningless.

2) I was one of the first people prepping for the pandemic. I was buying items I knew would be in short supply back in January. I'm a believer in being prepared for things like pandemics - they're serious business.

3) I suspect I've already had Covid and got over it after I had the worst flu of my life early this year.

5) Do I think other people wearing masks keeps me "more safe" than if they weren't? Of course in some marginal way. But is it the least bit "reckless" by talking to someone without one? Of course not - the statistical data to say otherwise just isn't there. My daily life is filled with many more hazardous activities than talking to someone without a mask. Is it worth getting my panties in a bunch if someone doesn't want to wear a mask relative to many other activities I can't force on them? NO.

6) Mask use outdoors. Assumption is that poeple who do this are people with IQs in the low 80s, those not in the habit of thinking for themselves, or lacking in education.

7) I can't think of a more fact obscured event in human history. I've been tracking numbers since the start and have been amazed at how hard it is to actually get numbers that really matter in the context. It truly is like the never-ending hunt for facts that never add up or changed facts, etc...

If you knew how many people I'd heard say this... I just tell them "yea I think I had covid-19 too, back in 2017, felt horrible for 2 days and then that was it."

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
The death toll from this wedding has now unfortunately risen to 7 and 175 people are sick.

Link