Covidiots thread

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I agree something is odd there. Their reported deaths have declined substantially these past 2 weeks while the daily new cases have not. Cases should decline first before deaths.
You have to be careful with Florida numbers. This summer they switched to reporting just once a week (late Friday I believe). So any website that lists Florida or US daily numbers is invalid. They need to instead now report the average daily number over the last 7 days. Right now Florida is averaging about 250 deaths per day, but it shows up as nearly 0 deaths on 6 days and nearly 1700 deaths on Fridays.

Average daily numbers over the past week are better anyways since many locations don't report on weekends. It just means that all useful data is now delayed several days.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You have to be careful with Florida numbers. This summer they switched to reporting just once a week (late Friday I believe). So any website that lists Florida or US daily numbers is invalid. They need to instead now report the average daily number over the last 7 days. Right now Florida is averaging about 250 deaths per day, but it shows up as nearly 0 deaths on 6 days and nearly 1700 deaths on Fridays.

Average daily numbers over the past week are better anyways since many locations don't report on weekends. It just means that all useful data is now delayed several days.

How are sites like worldometer apportioning deaths per day?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Which state?
Locally, (western NC) three hospital systems.
#1, the biggest system, at the end of July "almost 56% of Mission Health colleagues and 67% of our clinical providers are fully vaccinated"
#2, next biggest system, 67%
#3, 66%

Keep in mind, this is "Madison Cawthorn" country. Damn why didn't his momma not give a blow job that night?
In rural WV. It looks like you're in the same boat.

The employees of these hospitals interact with the most vulnerable people in our areas on a daily basis. Those people also depends on the staff being healthy enough to show up for work. Not only that but they should be setting an example for the community without it coming to a mandate.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
How are sites like worldometer apportioning deaths per day?
Worldometer has a 7-day moving average for their graphs. Without it clicked, you'll see a dip in deaths on every single Sunday and then a spike every single Thursday/Friday. With the 7-day moving average clicked, you see the dips and spikes are smoothed out.
1630701896794.png

John Hopkins recently went to weekly reporting too. Just click the weekly tab. If you look at Florida vs other states on the daily tab, you can see the problem. On John Hopkins, click the US then click Admin1 to get to the state level.
1630702056234.png

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Also businesses and governments can just choose to stop offering them.

Not a lawyer, but I think many businesses would avoid not offering any religious accommodation. It's asking to be sued.

Very strict requirements is less risky, and does almost the same job.

I think the situation you are bringing up may be a bit of a special case because of the large Orthodox community.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not a lawyer, but I think many businesses would avoid not offering any religious accommodation. It's asking to be sued.

Very strict requirements is less risky, and does almost the same job.

I think the situation you are bringing up may be a bit of a special case because of the large Orthodox community.
I hear that but religious objections to vaccines have already been heard and rejected.

Then again the Supreme Court now seems to be of the idea that religious people get to choose what laws they follow.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

It's almost like you people are saying Florida's reports are fudged? I mean, it's the official reports! Not some random crap you read on the interwebs! Ignore for a moment that Florida fired a data scientist (Rebekah Jones) for doing too good of a job. And ignore for a moment that to silence her, they had cops with guns drawn to arrest her at her home on some really weak charges, and ignore that they pointed guns at her kids because they're dangerous criminals too. Because clearly people reporting numbers are a danger to society and there is nothing wrong with Floriduh's official numbers.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Say hello to current conservative SCOTUS. California learned that the hard way and now they are paying church legal fees.
Go read up on OR and WA strict religious exemption requirements, and put a sock in the bullshit you keep throwing around thinking every situation is the same. IE, for example, if a person claims religious exemption not to take the vaccine, but has taken all other vaccines, their religious exemption is refused, because their own actions show they are full of shit. That's just one out of many scenarios. They also have to state what religion, and show where that religion exempts them from the vaccine. AKA, they have to prove it's a legitimate religious exemption rather than just using that as a blanket excuse without out any supporting documentation.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
It's almost like you people are saying Florida's reports are fudged? I mean, it's the official reports! Not some random crap you read on the interwebs! Ignore for a moment that Florida fired a data scientist (Rebekah Jones) for doing too good of a job. And ignore for a moment that to silence her, they had cops with guns drawn to arrest her at her home on some really weak charges, and ignore that they pointed guns at her kids because they're dangerous criminals too. Because clearly people reporting numbers are a danger to society and there is nothing wrong with Floriduh's official numbers.

Yeah, here are their 0 deaths per day average now.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Go read up on OR and WA strict religious exemption requirements, and put a sock in the bullshit you keep throwing around thinking every situation is the same. IE, for example, if a person claims religious exemption not to take the vaccine, but has taken all other vaccines, their religious exemption is refused, because their own actions show they are full of shit. That's just one out of many scenarios. They also have to state what religion, and show where that religion exempts them from the vaccine. AKA, they have to prove it's a legitimate religious exemption rather than just using that as a blanket excuse without out any supporting documentation.
Tell that to Harvard law
"
But cracking down on the misuse of religious exemptions is quite difficult. Employers, universities, or states offering religious exemptions cannot limit them to organized religion, because that would discriminate against those with sincere beliefs that are not part of an organized religion.

This makes sense, because the validity of your religious exemption should not depend on belonging to a religion that opposes vaccines. But it removes one tool that would help distinguish between those with sincere religious objections, and those using religion to cover other objections to vaccines.

Additionally, states cannot refuse an exemption to those whose interpretation differs from their religion’s doctrine regarding vaccination. It’s not the state job to enforce a religion’s rules on its believers, the state is tasked simply with assessing whether the religious objection is sincere. This too makes sense, but again, makes it harder to challenge religious exemption claims by members of religions that support vaccines. Assessing sincerity is tricky grounds. And dedicated anti-vaccine activists are exploiting these ambiguities to help people get religious exemptions."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Actually berberine is effective againt bacterial infections and viruses. And with bacterial infections it does not seem to matter if the infections are gram positive or gram negative. I did mention that I had used it to treat strep throat. I've used it twice for strep throat, which is a serious infection. I used it for walking pneumonia. I apparently was exposed to something toxic on two different occasions and experienced burning mouth syndrome, which can be more painful than strep. Berberine cured it both times. No I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday In Express last night. Additionally I have not been to a doctor for a medical problem since 1987.

ok, yikes.

yikes and yikes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So the next time your doctor suggests you take something ask him to show you his research.
"The proportion of US physicians engaged in research has decreased from a peak of 4.7% of the overall physician workforce in the 1980s to approximately 1.5% today. "

what is your "research," though?

seriously.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Tell that to Harvard law
"
But cracking down on the misuse of religious exemptions is quite difficult. Employers, universities, or states offering religious exemptions cannot limit them to organized religion, because that would discriminate against those with sincere beliefs that are not part of an organized religion.

This makes sense, because the validity of your religious exemption should not depend on belonging to a religion that opposes vaccines. But it removes one tool that would help distinguish between those with sincere religious objections, and those using religion to cover other objections to vaccines.

Additionally, states cannot refuse an exemption to those whose interpretation differs from their religion’s doctrine regarding vaccination. It’s not the state job to enforce a religion’s rules on its believers, the state is tasked simply with assessing whether the religious objection is sincere. This too makes sense, but again, makes it harder to challenge religious exemption claims by members of religions that support vaccines. Assessing sincerity is tricky grounds. And dedicated anti-vaccine activists are exploiting these ambiguities to help people get religious exemptions."
I thought you where arguing that states can't deny their religious exemption? So you go from that argument to it's difficult to police, and throw up a Harvard law school article about how hard it is to police. That doesn't sound like states can't refuse those exemptions to me. In fact, you blue type what the strict guidelines are for, and I gave two examples of what they need to do to show that their religious claim is legit.. aka sincere. It's fun when people throw up shit that disproves their own argument.

Courts have ruled that states can completely remove the religious exemption all together, and it's not unconstitutional.

So if they can remove the exemption all together, they sure as hell can decide which of those religious exemption claims are valid. Fact is, your article does not dispute that they can't, it simply explains why it's difficult... So thank you for putting up an article that demonstrates you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to states can't refuse religious exemptions, or you are once gain not arguing in good faith. I suspect it's the later, otherwise you wouldn't have changed your argument from "States can't refuse a religious exemption" to "it's difficult to police"...

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I hear that but religious objections to vaccines have already been heard and rejected.

Then again the Supreme Court now seems to be of the idea that religious people get to choose what laws they follow.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. Federal law protects religious discrimination, and requires employers to accommodate sincerely held religious beliefs, unless it would cause undue harm to the business or other employees.

https://www.eeoc.gov/religious-discrimination

There is certainly enough protection for them to try and sue employers and let the courts figure it out if it's reasonable accommodation or undue hardship.

At you point out, depends on who sits as judge on the case... Could come out with another way..

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think it's that cut and dry. Federal law protects religious discrimination, and requires employers to accommodate sincerely held religious beliefs, unless it would cause undue harm to the business or other employees.

https://www.eeoc.gov/religious-discrimination

There is certainly enough protection for them to try and sue employers and let the courts figure it out if it's reasonable accommodation or undue hardship.

At you point out, depends on who sits as judge on the case... Could come out with another way..
Again, maybe with the new Supreme Court that says religious people no longer need to follow laws they don’t like but if past precedent means anything then no.

Lots of states already don’t have religious exemptions for vaccination requirements for MMR, this would be nothing new.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Again, maybe with the new Supreme Court that says religious people no longer need to follow laws they don’t like but if past precedent means anything then no.

Lots of states already don’t have religious exemptions for vaccination requirements for MMR, this would be nothing new.
Psssshhhh...precedent 🤣

Is that yiddish?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Massive uptick of disruptive and abusive behavior of airline passengers this year, almost all of it over masks.

Even though it's now FAA-mandated and federal law, masks remain the cause of the majority of inflight issues. In a press release dated August 19, the FAA says it had received approximately 3,889 reports of unruly behavior by passengers since January 1. Of those reports, 2,867 were passengers refusing to comply with the mask mandate.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I agree something is odd there. Their reported deaths have declined substantially these past 2 weeks while the daily new cases have not. Cases should decline first before deaths.
Florida changed the way they report COVID deaths so that the death trendline will always show decline in the past 2'ish weeks. Basically when it comes to Florida you have to throw away last two weeks of COVID death data.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Anti-Vaxxer's are Insane in my opinion.

They are at the center of this 4th wave where this is now the Epidemic of the un-vaccinated.

Plus they fill our Hospital Emergency Beds needlessly, taxing the public needlessly and continue to spread Variants of this deadly virus.

WTF is wrong with them - I can't see any constitutional rights being infringed other then getting vaccinated is an individual act to protect us all.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Actually berberine is effective againt bacterial infections and viruses. And with bacterial infections it does not seem to matter if the infections are gram positive or gram negative. I did mention that I had used it to treat strep throat. I've used it twice for strep throat, which is a serious infection. I used it for walking pneumonia. I apparently was exposed to something toxic on two different occasions and experienced burning mouth syndrome, which can be more painful than strep. Berberine cured it both times. No I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday In Express last night. Additionally I have not been to a doctor for a medical problem since 1987.
So do you have a home lab to validate that you actually had strep throat, or perhaps it was just post nasal drip, after all you state your ARE NOT A FUCKING DOCTOR. An idiot yes, but not a doctor.