Covidiots thread

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Well, living in a red state, our numbers ain't nothing to brag about, but better than many deep red states nearby. However, on a county by county basis, the counties that Biden one are the counties with fully vaccinated rates above 50%.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Go New England, we got this.
Copied image doesn't look as clear, percent vaccinated per the CDC a few days ago

View attachment 46880

I still find it strange how different countries keep passing the baton of COVID-incompetency back-and-forth between them.

So despite the EU cocking it all up at the start, it seems as if they've now got their act together with vaccinations and it's the US (largely Republican voters and states) that is struggling to get people vaccinated.

And meanwhile, though the UK has done best-of-all with getting shots in arms, in only ten days Boris's government is going to revert to that 'herd immunity via infection' strategy that they really wanted to go for all along. I seriously worry that their plan to remove all lockdown restrictions (mask rules, social-distancing, the lot) on the 19th is going to lead to such an explosion of cases that even with the high vaccination rate, death rates will start to go up not long after.

For one thing surely letting it rip among the young and unvaccinated will lead to more variants appearing? And won't there be an evolutionary pressure for those variants to evade the vaccine protection?

I mean, they keep saying they've "broken the link" between high infection rates and hospitalisation rates, but are they sure it's "broken" and not merely "delayed"?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
IT NEVER ENDS....

My QAnon/Trumpie sister dropped by last night.
She heard that ""they"" discovered that the covid vaccine had an ingredient in it which made the recipient radioactive. She named the ingredient, some nonsense terminology. And I replied "THEY SAID? WHO SAID?" And she responds "some lady on this QAnon site. SHE'S A SCIENTIST."

Then she wanted to test me to see if I was radioactive because I got the vaccine. I don't know how one tests for vaccine radioactivity, so she asked if I still had that ghost buster thingy, a prank gift with a led meter someone gave me years ago that supposedly detects ghosts and spirits nearby. My sister said THAT MIGHT DETECT RADIATION? :rolleyes:

I just replied I had no idea where the ghost buster gadget was, and I really didn't. So for everyone that got the vaccine, and according to the Trumpie wackos, we vaccinated are all radioactive. I don't know if that means we can glow in the dark, or boil water using a finger, or cook a cheese sandwich by just standing next to it? And all of this nonsense was after the night before when she claimed that Joe Biden would be going door-to-door forcibly forcing people to take the vaccine. And so..... it truly never does end. "They" can come up with conspiracies as fast as Donald Trump can chug down BigMacs.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: DarthKyrie and pmv

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well, living in a red state, our numbers ain't nothing to brag about, but better than many deep red states nearby. However, on a county by county basis, the counties that Biden one are the counties with fully vaccinated rates above 50%.

Travis Country, where I am, just hit 70% first doses. County went 71/26 Biden in 2020.

You'll find correlations like that all over the country. Nothing apparently predicts vaccination status better than 2020 presidential vote from what I have read.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Travis Country, where I am, just hit 70% first doses. County went 71/26 Biden in 2020.

You'll find correlations like that all over the country. Nothing apparently predicts vaccination status better than 2020 presidential vote from what I have read.

Here am I - exception to the correlation already.

Leon County, FL voted Democrat and has for the last several Presidential elections. 63/35 Biden in 2020.

Vaccinations: one dose 47.1%, fully vaccinated 41.3% :(

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here am I - exception to the correlation already.

Leon County, FL voted Democrat and has for the last several Presidential elections. 63/35 Biden in 2020.

Vaccinations: one dose 47.1%, fully vaccinated 41.3% :(

And you can probably guess the party affiliation of most of those people.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
And you can probably guess the party affiliation of most of those people.
Most probably, but I wish we had an actual breakdown. Just wondering how many registered democrats down south might be in lala land as well.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
IT NEVER ENDS....

She heard that ""they"" discovered that the covid vaccine had an ingredient in it which made the recipient radioactive. She named the ingredient, some nonsense terminology. And I replied "THEY SAID? WHO SAID?" And she responds "some lady on this QAnon site. SHE'S A SCIENTIST."

Then she wanted to test me to see if I was radioactive because I got the vaccine. I don't know how one tests for vaccine radioactivity, so she asked if I still had that ghost buster thingy, a prank gift with a led meter someone gave me years ago that supposedly detects ghosts and spirits nearby. My sister said THAT MIGHT DETECT RADIATION? :rolleyes:

I just replied I had no idea where the ghost buster gadget was, and I really didn't. So for everyone that got the vaccine, and according to the Trumpie wackos, we vaccinated are all radioactive. I don't know if that means we can glow in the dark, or boil water using a finger, or cook a cheese sandwich by just standing next to it? And all of this nonsense was after the night before when she claimed that Joe Biden would be going door-to-door forcibly forcing people to take the vaccine. And so..... it truly never does end. "They" can come up with conspiracies as fast as Donald Trump can chug down BigMacs.
Magnetic, radioactive, pretty much the same thing amirite?

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
IT NEVER ENDS....

Wait till your sister finds out that concrete is radioactive. Will that turn your sister against building Orange Man's concrete border wall?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
According to the CDC and FDA, we don't need it (yet).

Yeah, Pfizer, for some reason ($$$s) is trying to be the tail wagging the dog.

Particularly funny given recent findings in study published in Nature.

Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are likely to offer long-lasting protection against Covid-19, according to a study published on Monday, indicating that people who are already inoculated with either of the mRNA vaccines may not need a booster dose for years.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There might be another reason and that is doctors doing absolutely nothing until it's too late. Cousin recently got sick in TX, doctor sent him home and told him to drink water. Luckily his former PCP from LA was on call and prescribed steroids among other medication. After 3 days, he is no longer in danger of dying.
No, he'll die, but hopefully he won't spend the rest of his life fighting long-covid.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Yeah, Pfizer, for some reason ($$$s) is trying to be the tail wagging the dog.

Particularly funny given recent findings in study published in Nature.

All that said, for recommended groups you should take the third shot when offered.

But unless we focus on eradication, it won't matter, this will be a yearly thing and considering the RNA structure and mutation rate we'll be FAR worse off if we don't focus on that rather than continuing with export halts and bullshit arguments.

I don't want to be the one saying "well who could have seen that coming" again just because some people are egotistical morons who cannot think one step ahead.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
All that said, for recommended groups you should take the third shot when offered.

But unless we focus on eradication, it won't matter, this will be a yearly thing and considering the RNA structure and mutation rate we'll be FAR worse off if we don't focus on that rather than continuing with export halts and bullshit arguments.

I don't want to be the one saying "well who could have seen that coming" again just because some people are egotistical morons who cannot think one step ahead.
Covid will be endemic, US is not trying to eradicate Covid unlike some countries.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I want a third dose. My state only passed a mandatory paid COVID sick leave (separate from your normal medical leave) in late May, too late for anyone to really use it for anything COVID-related (vaccine effects). Felt like I was scammed out of a free couple of days off work.

Reactions: nOOky