Covidiots thread

Page 126 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Allison Camerota interviews NYC school teacher who is leaving her job over the vaccine mandate for teachers. She is emotional.

She says she has a "deeply held religious conviction" about vaccines. She is Jewish. Funny, I was raised Jewish and I never heard about that. Must be scrawled as marginalia somewhere between Numbers and Deuteronomy.

When asked directly what in her religion precludes vaccines, listen to her vague non-answer. She couldn't even point out a single passage which vaguely implied anything about vaccines in particular or medical care in general.

I'm so sick and tired of these fake "religious objections." If someone has a real religious objection, they should have no problem specifying where in the doctrine of that religion the thing they object to is not allowed. What's next? My religion doesn't allow me to use deodorant? My religion doesn't allow me to shit in a toilet (outdoors only!)?

These people need to just quit lying. Her American flag apparel tells you straight off that her objection is political, not religious.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Your daughter has brains.

I have heard it's a real good idea to ask that question in a hospital. I have an appointment with my doctor on Oct. 12, haven't seen him since before the pandemic. I think I'll ask him that. He may have gloves on. I'll make a point of noticing when he comes into the examination room. While waiting in one of their exam rooms (HMO) a few years ago, possibly for my PCP, don't remember, I noticed a thing they had on the wall, illustrating how a medical professional properly washes their hands. I took a picture of it:

View attachment 50896
Meh providers are human. I wouldn't get all uppity about one slip up.

Allison Camerota interviews NYC school teacher who is leaving her job over the vaccine mandate for teachers. She is emotional.

She says she has a "deeply held religious conviction" about vaccines. She is Jewish. Funny, I was raised Jewish and I never heard about that. Must be scrawled as marginalia somewhere between Numbers and Deuteronomy.

When asked directly what in her religion precludes vaccines, listen to her vague non-answer. She couldn't even point out a single passage which vaguely implied anything about vaccines in particular or medical care in general.

I'm so sick and tired of these fake "religious objections." If someone has a real religious objection, they should have no problem specifying where in the doctrine of that religion the thing they object to is not allowed. What's next? My religion doesn't allow me to use deodorant? My religion doesn't allow me to shit in a toilet (outdoors only!)?

These people need to just quit lying. Her American flag apparel tells you straight off that her objection is political, not religious.
Agreed. I mean doesn't Israel have like one of the highest rates and were one of the most aggressive countries rolling out the Pfizer? I guess she thinks they're all violation too.

There is no actual opposition from Jewish leaders. Even the ultra Orthodox Jews are getting the jab. She's just talking out of her ass cause she's a rabid antivaxxer.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Honestly nothing to do with football, you just kind of shit on all professional sports and big time college sports, concerts, basically anything where people could gather in large numbers. Feel free to go yell at the kids to get off your lawn.
I choose not to support them, at all. Nor do I live where my tax dollars are used to build huge stadiums/arenas, so the team owners can make hundreds of millions. It's a fucking business, nothing to do with sport. College ball in the same, except it isn't passed down to the players.

Concerts, I attend (not now with COVID), but it is to be entertained, and no fucking way do I consider it to be a social activity. And there should be some actual value, good music with lyrics, and not some bimbo with artificial tits singing "you a ho... you a ho..." as the total lyrics of something people think is music.

We also go to the local minor league baseball games. Single digit admission price, and $2 craft beer for every Thursday game.

As for large numbers of people on one place... have you heard about the pandemic that going on?

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I choose not to support them, at all. Nor do I live where my tax dollars are used to build huge stadiums/arenas, so the team owners can make hundreds of millions. It's a fucking business, nothing to do with sport. College ball in the same, except it isn't passed down to the players.

Concerts, I attend (not now with COVID), but it is to be entertained, and no fucking way do I consider it to be a social activity. And there should be some actual value, good music with lyrics, and not some bimbo with artificial tits singing "you a ho... you a ho..." as the total lyrics of something people think is music.

We also go to the local minor league baseball games. Single digit admission price, and $2 craft beer for every Thursday game.

As for large numbers of people on one place... have you heard about the pandemic that going on?
What there is a pandemic?

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Meh providers are human. I wouldn't get all uppity about one slip up.
Ah yes, the mind set of "I'll only wear my seat belt when I feel I might be in and accident"

Well you might if that one slip up led to a staph infection that damn near killed you. A friend had back surgery and a got a staph infection in the incision site. Took months to heal completely and laid him up for a long time. Don't know if that lack of handwashing was the cause...

Reactions: PingSpike and Muse

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

No one cares if you like them or not. That is not the problem. The problem is you're judgy about people who do, at one point comparing all sports fans to "Trumpanzees." Funny, I've never ridiculed anyone for not liking professional sports, and I know plenty of people who have no interest in it. Why do you feel the need to judge other people for their recreational choices?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
A follow-up to my post above about the NYC school teacher. She says she hopes the SCOTUS would agree to block the NYC school employee mandate over this weekend so she could keep her job. Well sorry. Looks like no one on SCOTUS is interested in blocking COVID vaccine mandates, because duh, we've been mandating vaccines since the 19th century and it's already been ruled Constitutional.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Friday denied a request from a group of New York City teachers to block the city's vaccine mandate for public school employees.
Sotomayor did not refer the request to the other Supreme Court justices, or comment on her action, likely signaling they agreed with her decision. In August, Justice Amy Coney Barrett likewise rejected an effort to block Indiana University's vaccine mandate.

Oh well, maybe she can find a job teaching in one of those flyover states.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
No one cares if you like them or not. That is not the problem. The problem is you're judgy about people who do, at one point comparing all sports fans to "Trumpanzees." Funny, I've never ridiculed anyone for not liking professional sports, and I know plenty of people who have no interest in it. Why do you feel the need to judge other people for their recreational choices?
For the same fucking reason you chose to express your opinion. That shit cuts both ways.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
For the same fucking reason you chose to express your opinion. That shit cuts both ways.

No, that is not an equivalent. There is no problem with "expressing an opinion." The problem is you are judging people for their interest in professional sports, while no one is judging you for not being interested. That's called an asymmetry.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have thought to myself many times about professional sports and how on some levels it's ridiculous to root for a bunch of athletes in tights making millions working for billionaires talking about team loyalty when most of them get traded, cut, or leave for more money.

On the other hand if you don't take it too too seriously, don't get into brawls over it, don't riot over them, and just have fun because it's in expression of human athleticism and the game that might interest you, then who cares, it's fun. We are a tribalistic society and many levels and if you can express that healthily by rooting for a team, then it's all good.

I do wonder about people that follow all four major professional sports quite avidly all year long what else are they doing with their lives what else do they have time for. I don't think it's healthy, but if they aren't hurting anyone else then they do them

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I have thought to myself many times about professional sports and how on some levels it's ridiculous to root for a bunch of athletes in tights making millions working for billionaires talking about team loyalty when most of them get traded, cut, or leave for more money.

On the other hand if you don't take it too too seriously, don't get into brawls over it, don't riot over them, and just have fun because it's in expression of human athleticism and the game that might interest you, then who cares, it's fun. We are a tribalistic society and many levels and if you can express that healthily by rooting for a team, then it's all good.

I do wonder about people that follow all four major professional sports quite avidly all year long what else are they doing with their lives what else do they have time for. I don't think it's healthy, but if they aren't hurting anyone else then they do them
If they focus all of their tribalism on harmless shit like how their sportsball team is better than the other sportsball teams, instead of planning to kill people they don't recognize as being tribe members, then so be it. If their money, free time and rage is directed at something that isn't just a step or two away from murdering people, then it's probably a good thing. Bread and circuses aren't necessarily a bad thing.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
No, that is not an equivalent. There is no problem with "expressing an opinion." The problem is you are judging people for their interest in professional sports, while no one is judging you for not being interested. That's called an asymmetry.
And you weren't being judgmental. Go find a mirror somewhere in your house.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
And you weren't being judgmental. Go find a mirror somewhere in your house.

Yeah, being judgmental of you being judgmental. Sort of like being intolerant of other people being intolerant. Actually, exactly like that. Pretty sure you understand that perfectly well, cannot justify the remarks you've made, and are just being pissy now.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Ah yes, the mind set of "I'll only wear my seat belt when I feel I might be in and accident"

Well you might if that one slip up led to a staph infection that damn near killed you. A friend had back surgery and a got a staph infection in the incision site. Took months to heal completely and laid him up for a long time. Don't know if that lack of handwashing was the cause...
Each individual hand washing violation only has fractions of a fraction of a fraction of a percent chance of actually transmitting an infection to a patient. En masse when you're talking about thousands of interactions a day ina hospital system yes hand washing matters but one missed hand wash likely isn't killing anyone. I'm 100% in favor of hand washing but you don't need to be embarrassing and abusing perfectly honest healthcare providers who are just trying their best and otherwise giving excellent care. An ICU nurse might have to wash her hands 100 times in a 12 hour shift and that's only felt to be 60 percent of all the times she should have washed in some studies where they monitored staff for this. If you want to talk MRSA infection, studies show that effective hand washing programs in hospitals do lower hospital rates of MRSA infection but it goes from 2 episodes per 10000 patient days to 1 episode per 10000 patient days. That's assuming hundreds of thousands of hand washing events are occurring across hundreds to thousands of healthcare providers as they should over that time period meaning the actual risk of transmission per missed hand washing event is like nothing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Sports are great in that they are pure entertainment. There’s no real stakes there, if the Eagles win a million Super Bowls or never win one again my life isn’t really any different.

So really it’s an opportunity to get excited and yell about things that don’t matter, which is fun and cathartic. People that take it too seriously are weirdos, but if you watch them like a normal adult they can be a lot of fun.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't think he declared that all sports fans are Trumpanzees, he noted that many are rightees and such. Personally, I don't have an opinion about it. I do not like the aspect of my team, my team, screw all the others, AKA "ardent partisanship." AR in sports can be a spillover to AR in politics, ya think? Just thinkin', y'all. ;) TBH, I am something of a sports fan. But I think there's nothing wrong with not being a sports fan, whatsoever. Maybe "sports fan" isn't the right rhetoric here. I enjoy, benefit from being athletic and I admire athleticism in others, as long as they are fundamentally sound human beings.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

You sure it isn't just you're tight fisted rather than anti sport?

Difference between majors and minors is skill. Guys are making millions because they are top shelf and plenty of people are willing to pay to watch.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You sure it isn't just you're tight fisted rather than anti sport?

Difference between majors and minors is skill. Guys are making millions because they are top shelf and plenty of people are willing to pay to watch.
I spend money for things I enjoy, and are of value to me. 3, 4, and 5 digit ticket prices to see millionaires play a game doesn't fit that.

I wouldn't attend the Super Bowl even with a free 50-yard line ticket, because I frankly don't give a fuck about professional sport.

The minors are there because they love the sport, and hope to make it big. At that point they haven't developed the attitude and ego about how fucking wonderful they are.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Each individual hand washing violation only has fractions of a fraction of a fraction of a percent chance of actually transmitting an infection to a patient. En masse when you're talking about thousands of interactions a day ina hospital system yes hand washing matters but one missed hand wash likely isn't killing anyone. I'm 100% in favor of hand washing but you don't need to be embarrassing and abusing perfectly honest healthcare providers who are just trying their best and otherwise giving excellent care. An ICU nurse might have to wash her hands 100 times in a 12 hour shift and that's only felt to be 60 percent of all the times she should have washed in some studies where they monitored staff for this. If you want to talk MRSA infection, studies show that effective hand washing programs in hospitals do lower hospital rates of MRSA infection but it goes from 2 episodes per 10000 patient days to 1 episode per 10000 patient days. That's assuming hundreds of thousands of hand washing events are occurring across hundreds to thousands of healthcare providers as they should over that time period meaning the actual risk of transmission per missed hand washing event is like nothing.
WOW data without a source... let's guess... you pulled it out of your ass. Lots of numbers and statistics, and it's all bullshit.

Check out the #5 source of infection in a health care setting... their fucking hands...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yeah, being judgmental of you being judgmental. Sort of like being intolerant of other people being intolerant. Actually, exactly like that. Pretty sure you understand that perfectly well, cannot justify the remarks you've made, and are just being pissy now.
No, I was just describing your actions.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Your daughter has brains.

I have heard it's a real good idea to ask that question in a hospital. I have an appointment with my doctor on Oct. 12, haven't seen him since before the pandemic. I think I'll ask him that. He may have gloves on. I'll make a point of noticing when he comes into the examination room. While waiting in one of their exam rooms (HMO) a few years ago, possibly for my PCP, don't remember, I noticed a thing they had on the wall, illustrating how a medical professional properly washes their hands. I took a picture of it:

View attachment 50896
If anyone walks into the exam room and:

1) Is already wearing gloves, you should ask them to change those gloves
2) Goes to touch you for any reason without gloves, stop them and make them put gloves on

There's a very big reason why EVERY room has boxes of gloves hanging on the wall, stacked on a shelf, whatever. NO ONE should EVER move from room to room without changing their gloves. In fact. normal SOP would have the healthcare worker take off their gloves in the following manner, How to Remove Gloves (cdc.gov). When the worker enters a new room, they then put on a new set of gloves. Kind of obvious since one would have to touch a doorknob/handle to enter the room but sometimes the obvious needs to be reinforced with a sledgehammer.

Yes, those hand washing signs are all over because, as much as DPH can be a ridiculous PITA sometimes, some things need to be constantly reminded/reinforced. Hand washing is one of those. It is, in fact THE NUMBER ONE way to prevent the spread of infection in the clinical environment, bar none. PPE is another that needs constant reminders. As much as it protects the patient it can also protect the healthcare worker but sometimes people forget, get lazy, are tired etc. So it's important that you, as the patient, are aware of what is going on around you.

(Not a covidiot related post, but important enough that I felt the need for an OT response)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
WOW data without a source... let's guess... you pulled it out of your ass. Lots of numbers and statistics, and it's all bullshit.

Check out the #5 source of infection in a health care setting... their fucking hands...
it's not like we've known about that for a hundred+ years... oh wait - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK144018/

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I spend money for things I enjoy, and are of value to me. 3, 4, and 5 digit ticket prices to see millionaires play a game doesn't fit that.

I wouldn't attend the Super Bowl even with a free 50-yard line ticket, because I frankly don't give a fuck about professional sport.

The minors are there because they love the sport, and hope to make it big. At that point they haven't developed the attitude and ego about how fucking wonderful they are.

But that's you right? Just because someone had a different budget or interest doesn't make them an asshole.

I went to the broncos home opener and it was fun as hell.

I had to pay a decent amount for tickets, and so I rarely go. But I also was chatting with some others who've had season tickets since the 70s and it's a big tradition with friends and family.

Met one old timer on the train that's been going since 1977. Regular working class guy, now retired, takes the train in ($6), packs his lunch and enjoys the hell out of it.

The season tickets often go in people's wills.