Coupling not being aired? WTF!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crisp82

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
well, comparison with friends only works at a very general level:)

its more like a cross between sex and the city, friends and seinfeld.

its funny sh*t :) dvd of season 1 -2 are out. netflix em or buy.
Yeah, 6 20 somethings who hang out in a local bar and have constant relationship troubles
rolleye.gif
;)
Is there an American version of this or something?

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: kranky
You could be lucky - you saved yourself from watching 30 minutes of yet another lame show.

Yeah, but we should have that choice. The PTC shouldn't control what we watch.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You could be lucky - you saved yourself from watching 30 minutes of yet another lame show.
Yep. I have no doubt that this show won't make it. It's got nothing on the competition (will and grace, friends, etc.).

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well not this version atleast:p

the uk ones pilot was kinda strange too, mostly in a confusing way. it took a few eps to really get going. but the us one guts even the pilot. gah.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dedpuhl

What are you talking about? No one is controlling what you watch. Watch whatever you want.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

What are you talking about? No one is controlling what you watch. Watch whatever you want.

They are trying their best to control what we watch. They were one of the groups that protested the showing of Coupling.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
Two stations decided not to carry it. One in Salt Lake City and one in South Bend (WNDU, owned by Notre Dame University). They apparently decided the show is trash. Each station can decide what shows they want to carry as a business decision. They can even decide not to carry specific episodes of a show, which has happened in the past.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

They are trying their best to control what we watch. They were one of the groups that protested the showing of Coupling.

While I don't agree with the decision, it is the right of the station to not show it. And it is the right of prude groups to protest it.

At any rate, you didn't miss much. It had a couple funny moments but the dialoge was largely contrived and the acting was poor. It was as if the lines were completely unnatural for the actors and they had a hard time spitting them out. That or the actors were uncomfortable in their roles.

Gand1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 1999
For thoes who did not get to see it........ feel lucky!

The US version is a complete script copy with edititing because the US stations don't think Americans can handle sex humor and are too prudish. The actors suck and nothing was even remotely funny if you have watched the original version. BBC/America rules and airs the true Coupling show. If you want British humor watch a British show! :( Since when have we (Americans) become this brain dead to not realize this attempt at a "new" is just plain garbage with obviously no originality! Hell we could not even handle Benny Hill when it came out! Monty Python and Fawlty Towers were truely pushing the edge for American views but I'm not even sure we got thoes shows when the were originally aired. Oh, and if you are lucky enough to get BBC/America just watch SO Graham Norton Friday nights at 11:00 or My Hero(not sure the of time)! There are many other BBC shows that are awesome if you can find em.
Absolutly Fabulous
ManChild
Father Ted - a must!
BlackAdder
The Vicar of Dibley

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Yep. I have no doubt that this show won't make it. It's got nothing on the competition (will and grace, friends, etc.).

You are both right - not very good (the original is great, but these actors seem to lack chemistry). However, NBC has already paid for 22 episodes, so it will stick around for at least a year. Unless it is a DISASTER in the ratings. And it isn't competing with Friends, it is being groomed as its replacement.

TMPadmin

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
For its first show it was okay. Yes the actors did seem like they didn't fit the part but it was their first go at it. How long did it take for Seinfeld to get moving? As for the competition, Friends is on its way out and Will and Grace seems to be just running on inertia. So I think the show will make it but if you want to see it done properly watch the original. Give the show a few months to work out the bugs the actors will start to fit into their roles and become more comfortable with the dialogue.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
After seeing numerous advertisements on this, I'm sure all the queers will watch this one. So we know the ratings will atleast be good in San Francisco.

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
Originally posted by: TravisT
After seeing numerous advertisements on this, I'm sure all the queers will watch this one. So we know the ratings will atleast be good in San Francisco.

riiiiiight.

:confused:

lilFajita

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
I think the "banning" of the show is partly pushed by NBC- its great publicity, and probably not a big loss in viewership from those areas.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Gand1
For thoes who did not get to see it........ feel lucky!

The US version is a complete script copy with edititing because the US stations don't think Americans can handle sex humor and are too prudish. The actors suck and nothing was even remotely funny if you have watched the original version. BBC/America rules and airs the true Coupling show. If you want British humor watch a British show! :( Since when have we (Americans) become this brain dead to not realize this attempt at a "new" is just plain garbage with obviously no originality! Hell we could not even handle Benny Hill when it came out! Monty Python and Fawlty Towers were truely pushing the edge for American views but I'm not even sure we got thoes shows when the were originally aired. Oh, and if you are lucky enough to get BBC/America just watch SO Graham Norton Friday nights at 11:00 or My Hero(not sure the of time)! There are many other BBC shows that are awesome if you can find em.
Absolutly Fabulous
ManChild
Father Ted - a must!
BlackAdder
The Vicar of Dibley

And if you cannot handle that, then stick to the reruns of british sitcoms of the '60s and '70s on PBS.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Without reading most of this thread i'm going to give my opinion :). I was forced to watch it while I ate some food late last night and wow... I mean it's entertaining, but not because it's good. It's just sex. WHEN did public TV get so uncensored? Condoms, sex in the bathrooms, talked about "shaved" parts, flashing in public, etc. etc. I remember when i was a kid I was lucky to see cleavage on TV and would cringe when I heard the word "damn" if my parents were around, thinking they would be wondering what kind of dirty show I was watching.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: TravisT

why? are you saying queer people are stupid?

theres no real gay character to boot.:p

what the hell do you watch? wwf wrestling? aka gay pr0n? ;)

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DC154/qid=1064618997/sr=8-3/">Coupling - The Complete First and Second Season (2001) Price: $38.49
</a>