County worker FIRED for doing what anyone would do.

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I understand but he clearly articulated why he thought something was wrong.

This isn't the first time smething like this has happened, mailmen, fed-ex guys have all responded and did things that were not in their job description... and saved a life.
The results are different but the intents are the same. trying to help smeone percieved to be in trouble.

Smelling a "dead body" doesn't equate to "saving someone's life".

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Sorry, Net, I'm not seeing this in this case.
Spent over 25 years knocking on doors of trashed/"abandoned looking" houses collecting my $$. They weren't abandoned. Yes, people live like pigs and don't care. I've never gone into someone's house uninvited, door open or not, terrible odors wafting out or not. He should have called the police if he really thought there was an issue but I believe that 1)the condition of the house was normal for him to see as a code enforcer and 2)he was still acting like a cop.

I'm not saying he didn't screw up, I'm saying his intent was to help someone. Not to pillage plunder and rape. He was being a good samaritan, I really believe that.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
One human being's perception that another human being needs help...

Someone's "perception" that someone else might need help (without any clear evidence of such) is not sufficient reason for them to just enter the premises and snoop around. Further, the reason he got fired is that he lied about it to his superiors.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
and nobody has denied that yet! but they still want to make this guy out as a criminal! its so hypocritical it just makes me laugh. i love this thread!

Me thinks you don't know what hypocritical means.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Someone's "perception" that someone else might need help (without any clear evidence of such) is not sufficient reason for them to just enter the premises and snoop around. Further, the reason he got fired is that he lied about it to his superiors.

there was clear evidence that whoever lived there could not take care of themselves. and yes, he was fired on a technicality. he still did the right thing and didnt deserve to be fired.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
watch the video guys! this lady is a lazy pile of crap! the county worker banged on the door multiple times, its clear in the video. he tried both doors. the place looked abandoned. then he found the front door OPEN. if he DIDNT enter the house he would be a bad person for not worrying about someones safety!

I had a similar situation as that county worker one time, while working as an Animal Control Officer. My employer had the foresight to get me trained regarding people's 4th amendment rights.

Long story short, a nuisance complaint led me to knock on doors and look into windows of a private residence. Nobody came to the door, but I could see a persons bare foot, and from the position I could see that they were laying on their back on the floor and not moving.

What (correct) course of action did I take? I called the police to investigate.
Important points:
1.) Having a messy yard or overgrown lawn does not negate a persons 4th amendment rights.
2.) If someone has been dead long enough that you can smell it, you aren't going to save them. (I suspect this lawn-enforcement guy was more interested in looting if he found a body.)
3.) You break the law while at work then lie to your supervisor about it, you get what you deserve.
4.) Saw the video, place did not look abandoned.

404 outrage not found.

EDIT: Was this guy a doctor, or even an EMT? No, he was the lawn-police.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
there was clear evidence that whoever lived there could not take care of themselves. and yes, he was fired on a technicality. he still did the right thing and didnt deserve to be fired.

Or didn't care. There's no clear evidence of anything.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
for the 100th time.

multiple sanitary violations. trash all around. yard not mowed. bad stench. front door open.

The door was not open, it was unlocked, and neither was her bedroom door. And so what? Some people are slobs, that doesn't mean they lose their right to privacy, or that a county worker can enter their home without permission.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/..._after_entering_home_uninvited_161995785.html

i saw this on msnbc... if anyone can find the video it is appauling.

this lady said if she had a gun she could have killed him and she wouldnt get in trouble for it.

this lady deserves to die. she is useless to this world.

i would have done the exact same thing the county worker did. i am glad he is appealing his firing. i hope he wins.

HERE IT IS - http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/48788352#48159642

ugh. white. freakin. trash!

You would have illegally entered someones home for no good reason? The lady is right, he is lucky that he didn't do that to someone who was sleeping with a gun in their nightstand or he very likely wouldn't be here to appeal his firing for breaking and entering.

What I find appalling is that no criminal charges have been filed. Go try doing this to some stranger and see if the cops charge you with something or not.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
for the 100th time.

multiple sanitary violations. trash all around. yard not mowed. bad stench. front door open.

= still no permission to enter. No permission to snoop around. No permission to lie about it. Do it anyway = fired.

Very simple, and he deserved to be fired.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
To my knowledge the fact that someone is a slob and trashes their house does not give someone the right to enter the home, much less snoop around. Then the guy lied about it. He got exactly what I would expect: fired.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Couldn't take care of themselves? There was plenty of evidence that whoever lived there did not take care of their yard/property but I saw absolutely no evidence that the person even remotely might have been in any sort of imminent danger. Just because a person lives like a slob does not allow you to enter their home without a warrant and go looking around. What possible purpose did that serve other than having her sign some citations versus the potential consequences? Personally, I think the guy must have had some sort of ulterior motives like robbery or something.

Frankly the guy is lucky the consequence was simply him losing his job.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
= still no permission to enter. No permission to snoop around. No permission to lie about it. Do it anyway = fired.

Very simple, and he deserved to be fired.

I still think he deserves to be brought up on criminal charges. I can't think of a single reason that he shouldn't be.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Couldn't take care of themselves? There was plenty of evidence that whoever lived there did not take care of their yard/property but I saw absolutely no evidence that the person even remotely might have been in any sort of imminent danger. Just because a person lives like a slob does not allow you to enter their home without a warrant and go looking around. What possible purpose did that serve other than having her sign some citations versus the potential consequences? Personally, I think the guy must have had some sort of ulterior motives like robbery or something.

Frankly the guy is lucky the consequence was simply him losing his job.

I don't think the guy had any ulterior motives. I do think since he is a EX-cop he is used to doing that and getting away with it. I also think the only reason he wasn't charged is he was a ex-cop.

its a open and shut case. he is on video entering her house.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
To my knowledge the fact that someone is a slob and trashes their house does not give someone the right to enter the home, much less snoop around. Then the guy lied about it. He got exactly what I would expect: fired.

Only the police or an EMT or such would have been justified in entering the place for a goodwill health check. This guy was neither.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
no. I answered that. Read dude. I would be upset because i dont break laws and i acknowledge people when they are trying to help.

You said YOU would open the door. The scenario is YOU are at work. Try again, this time without all the fail.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I still think he deserves to be brought up on criminal charges. I can't think of a single reason that he shouldn't be.

The only reason he likely would not be is that no criminal intent can be shown because he had a reasonable explanation as to what he was doing (even if it was wrong). Definitely firing him makes sense though.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I had a similar situation as that county worker one time, while working as an Animal Control Officer. My employer had the foresight to get me trained regarding people's 4th amendment rights.

Long story short, a nuisance complaint led me to knock on doors and look into windows of a private residence. Nobody came to the door, but I could see a persons bare foot, and from the position I could see that they were laying on their back on the floor and not moving.

What (correct) course of action did I take? I called the police to investigate.
Important points:
1.) Having a messy yard or overgrown lawn does not negate a persons 4th amendment rights.
2.) If someone has been dead long enough that you can smell it, you aren't going to save them. (I suspect this lawn-enforcement guy was more interested in looting if he found a body.)
3.) You break the law while at work then lie to your supervisor about it, you get what you deserve.
4.) Saw the video, place did not look abandoned.

404 outrage not found.

EDIT: Was this guy a doctor, or even an EMT? No, he was the lawn-police.

that sucks then! you cared more about your job then someones life! what grounds do you think the cops had to enter that you didnt?