Could someone help me diagnose why my cable modem won't get a cable signal?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I was going to switch to Comcast and drop my Centurylink DSL service to try and save some money, but I cannot get my modem to get a signal. I even hooked it up outside before the splitter and no go. Comcast wants to charge me to send someone out, even if it's a problem with the line coming from the pole. :thumbsdown:

Here is the info from the modem:
Information

Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 2.0
Hardware Version V54.0
Software Version 0.0.6.13170

Startup Procedure

Status
Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 555000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State In Progress Us parameters acquired
Boot State In Progress Unknown
Security Enabled BPI

Downstream Channel

Lock Status Not Ready
Modulation 256QAM
Channel ID 1
Provisioned Rate ---
Symbol Rate 41879.195 Ksym/sec
Downstream Power -1.0 dBmV
SNR 39.0 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status Not Ready
Modulation 64QAM
Channel ID 2
Provisioned Rate ---
Symbol Rate 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream Power 54.0 dBmV

Time Priority Description
1970-1-1 0:2:19 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-1-1 0:2:43 critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted
1970-1-1 0:5:48 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-1-1 0:6:10 critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted
1970-1-1 0:9:0 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-1-1 0:9:15 critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted
1970-1-1 0:10:19 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't know a thing about it, but could it be a time issue? You're 42 years out of date.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Is the modem on Comcast's list of approved modems?
I have to run a DOCSIS 3.0 with my Comcast.

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
There's usually a node on the outside wall or rafter where the cable comes from the pole to the house. That's where most cable techs disconnect the cable. Although, your modem seems to be reporting some kind of connection...

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Is the modem on Comcast's list of approved modems?
I have to run a DOCSIS 3.0 with my Comcast.

Dunno, but they never told me it would be a problem. I think DOCSIS 3.0 is needed only for their Blast 30mb service. I only have the 12mb service.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
There's usually a node on the outside wall or rafter where the cable comes from the pole to the house. That's where most cable techs disconnect the cable. Although, your modem seems to be reporting some kind of connection...

There is a connection. I have TV service that works.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
There is a connection. I have TV service that works.

Just an anecdotal reference but, when we had Cox cable installed (tv, phone and, internet) the tech made the connections, checked the tv channels and called in on the phone to make sure it was working. He got ready to go and I checked the internet but couldn't get online. "Oh, it must be your modem" Nope, Cox supports my modem and it worked fine two days a go with Comcast. I troubleshoot my end and everything seems to be fine. He calls back in and they haven't enabled DNS for my account. WTF?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
54dBmV is a bit high for your upstream. The cutoff is around 57, and really you want it under 50. If you can, go for the most direct connection to your cable service that you can get (i.e. no splitters) and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then it's almost certainly a provisioning issue, though I suspect this a provisioning issue in the first place.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
54dBmV is a bit high for your upstream. The cutoff is around 57, and really you want it under 50. If you can, go for the most direct connection to your cable service that you can get (i.e. no splitters) and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then it's almost certainly a provisioning issue, though I suspect this a provisioning issue in the first place.

They keep assuring me that it is provisioned properly.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
So, both upstream and downstream is not being acquired? The lights on the modem don't stop blinking and go solid?

I haven't been a modem installer for about 10 years now, but the first thing I would have done back then is check my signal meter. I'm guessing there's poor/improper signal being fed to your house. There's a chance that the modem itself has gone bad. Had that happen recently to me. I lost internet access for no apparent reason. Modem wouldn't lock in. A tech came out and confirmed that the modem simply died and left me with a new one. (I'm not with Comcast).

Mar 10, 2005
So, both upstream and downstream is not being acquired? The lights on the modem don't stop blinking and go solid?

I haven't been a modem installer for about 10 years now, but the first thing I would have done back then is check my signal meter. I'm guessing there's poor/improper signal being fed to your house. There's a chance that the modem itself has gone bad. Had that happen recently to me. I lost internet access for no apparent reason. Modem wouldn't lock in. A tech came out and confirmed that the modem simply died and left me with a new one. (I'm not with Comcast).

:thumbsup: i wish i could have worked with this guy, just for 1 week even

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Status

Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 711000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Security Enabled BPI+

Downstream Channel

Lock Status Operational
Modulation 256QAM
Channel ID 2
Provisioned Rate Unlimited
Symbol Rate 41879.195 Ksym/sec
Downstream Power 4.0 dBmV
SNR 39.0 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status Operational
Modulation 64QAM
Channel ID 9
Provisioned Rate Unlimited
Symbol Rate 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream Power 42.0 dBmV

That's my cable modem. and I'm hooked up via a 50 foot RG6 patch cable with a splitter running between my hdhomerun tuner and my cm100 linksys cable modem. Stats don't look much different that yours.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003

Modem should be ok. I picked up a modem from Walmart, had them activate it, and still didn't get a connection.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Another possibility is that Comcast has a filter on the line into your house that blocks the internet service (while allowing TV service). I agree with the suggestion made earlier that you get a tech out to your house to measure signal strength.

Oceanas

Nov 23, 2006
Comcast wants to charge me to send someone out, even if it's a problem with the line coming from the pole. :thumbsdown:

Whoever told you that does not have a clue and I suggest you call back. Comcast is responsible to maintain and repair all plant up to the demarc, which they define as 12" from the outside of a home. A problem at the tap is not something you can be charged for.

Anyway, it doesn't appear to be a provisioning issue as ranging should still complete and put you into the captive portal for self install.

Also, 54.0 dBmV on your upstream is the max power output for 64 QAM on DOCSIS 2. At 54, CMTS can probably not hear the modem.

If you hooked it up on the outside and still have the same power level, then it's an upstream noise issue.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
signal issue

TV is much more forgiving than HSI. Could be a bad splitter/too many splitters/not enough splitters/squirrel gnawed on a wire.

Pay the $45.

not speaking as an employee or representative of any cable provider

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Did you try another modem yet?

Do you know a neighbor?

DOCSIS 2.0 should work as DOCSIS 3.0 are backwards compatible but you will get slower speed.

Speed is a moot point anyway, low latency is more important.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wait, they charge even if the issue is on their side? Seems like crappy customer service to me. It's one thing to charge for inside wiring but outside is the provider's equipment/plant so it should be their responsibility to fix it. That's assuming your issue is outside.

Just for kicks, I would ask for a modem replacement, maybe the modem is faulty.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Wait, they charge even if the issue is on their side? Seems like crappy customer service to me. It's one thing to charge for inside wiring but outside is the provider's equipment/plant so it should be their responsibility to fix it. That's assuming your issue is outside.

Just for kicks, I would ask for a modem replacement, maybe the modem is faulty.

It's not true. Outside is no charge interior there is.