Could Microsoft buy Canada?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Le Québécois
Originally posted by: yllus
And after that you wonder why we want Québec to be separate from Canada. The minute a French Canadian get out of Québec we are treated by English Canadian like if we were black ppl in USA 300 years ago...
Let me be the first to call BUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT.

You're not seriously comparing the 'plight' of Quebecers to black slavery of the 1700s, are you?
rolleye.gif
I can reasonable assure you that here in Toronto, 95% of us couldn't give a sh!t if you were from Quebec or not. Why the hell would we? Most cities in Canada are diverse enough that we all hear a couple of languages a day, French is nothing special.

If you're talking about treatment you'd get in small northern towns or something, boo freakin' hoo. I bet with my Middle Eastern appearance I'd get treated just as badly if not worse. If anything the problem is that you Quebecers have a serious inferiority complex to work out.

That was just an exemple to get some attention..and it worked.... But my exemple is still correct in one domain. GO back 300 in the US and ask white ppl if they think they treat black ppl correctly, i'm sure you wouldn't find many ppl saying they're doing somethings wrong. That the same with french canadien out of quebec ( by out of quebec i mean west of quebec... when you go to the east every one act normally with us ) you don't see anything wrong since you're not french, but i bet it wouldn't take more than 1 hour for you to see it if you were a french let say...in toronto.

He's a damn Muslin in Toronto. Do you exactly think they are going to be tolerate of him, but stone you or something? Toronto is about as tolerant as you get. Paranoid...

DieHardware

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Staples
Maybe a province like the Northwestern Territories (if there is no oil in the ground) but I doubt you'd really want that friggid (sp) hunk of land.

hehe. :)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: Mill
Seriously, wtf is wrong with CanOWorms and RabidMongoose. You suck each others dicks in EVERY thread. You always post together in ANY debate thread. Fvcking get a goddamn life or start fighting your own battles. No one else does that annoying stuff. Pathetic.

I still luv u even though you're a pea-brained Criminal Justice kid that's telling me to have a life with no regard to your own post count :)

Actually I changed to business. I have much more of a life than you could dream of. My life doesn't exist solely to suck my friend off when he posts.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Seriously, wtf is wrong with CanOWorms and RabidMongoose. You suck each others dicks in EVERY thread. You always post together in ANY debate thread. Fvcking get a goddamn life or start fighting your own battles. No one else does that annoying stuff. Pathetic.

I still luv u even though you're a pea-brained Criminal Justice kid that's telling me to have a life with no regard to your own post count :)

Actually I changed to business. I have much more of a life than you could dream of. My life doesn't exist solely to suck my friend off when he posts.

will you marry me so that my life will be 1/10 as well as yours? i dream of a life similar to yours since you talk about it so much. last night i even had a wet dream about it.
rose.gif

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

will you marry me so that my life will be 1/10 as well as yours? i dream of a life similar to yours since you talk about it so much. last night i even had a wet dream about it.
rose.gif

Do you want to stay up all night and argue again? Guess you don't have much of a life at all. Guess what? You can have the last word. Night.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

rose.gif

Do you want to stay up all night and argue again? Guess you don't have much of a life at all. Guess what? You can have the last word. Night.

we might as well get used to it if we're going to be wed :)

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus
And after that you wonder why we want Québec to be separate from Canada. The minute a French Canadian get out of Québec we are treated by English Canadian like if we were black ppl in USA 300 years ago...
Let me be the first to call BUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT.

You're not seriously comparing the 'plight' of Quebecers to black slavery of the 1700s, are you?
rolleye.gif
I can reasonable assure you that here in Toronto, 95% of us couldn't give a sh!t if you were from Quebec or not. Why the hell would we? Most cities in Canada are diverse enough that we all hear a couple of languages a day, French is nothing special.

If you're talking about treatment you'd get in small northern towns or something, boo freakin' hoo. I bet with my Middle Eastern appearance I'd get treated just as badly if not worse. If anything the problem is that you Quebecers have a serious inferiority complex to work out.

That was just an exemple to get some attention..and it worked.... But my exemple is still correct in one domain. GO back 300 in the US and ask white ppl if they think they treat black ppl correctly, i'm sure you wouldn't find many ppl saying they're doing somethings wrong. That the same with french canadien out of quebec ( by out of quebec i mean west of quebec... when you go to the east every one act normally with us ) you don't see anything wrong since you're not french, but i bet it wouldn't take more than 1 hour for you to see it if you were a french let say...in toronto.

Weren't you Canadians just talking about your knowledge of history and geography. The US wasn't established 300 years ago. They were also not the only ones with slaves. If you wanted to find a slave 300 years ago you wouldn't have to look here they could be found in New France. Thats what Canada was called back then in case you didn't know and in 1709 law was passed stating that Black slaves could be bought and sold in New France. and fines would be charged to anyone who helped a slave to escape. Also slavery wasn't abolished until 1819 in Canada (upper).

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
I know we had slave ( and not just black but indien too )like you did in the US but it's not every one that know that so i used my USA exemple to reach for a broader audience...So did i used USA ( and now English colonies) for the same reason. Sorry didn't mean to be rude.
To be exact it was Nouvelle-France and not new france....
By any means I don't want to say we were better than you for the racist issue.

cm123

Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Why not? Is Canada really worth more than $80 billion?

Sure, why not.... that's a great down payment!

King Gates... Sir William and such, the leader of MicroWorld.

Kaiser__Sose

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: brigden
Wow, the sheer ignorance in this thread is amazing.

However, I will guarentee you that Canadians are liked more, world-wide than Americans.

That's not possible since more people like the US than even know about Canada's existence. I'm not trying to be mean.

You've wonderfully illustrated my point. I've travelled extensively around the world, and I know firsthand Canadians are liked more so than Americans.

I've travelled extensively, too and know first-hand that you're incorrect.

i hope you are joking..

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Where did you come up with number $80 billion? Having looked at MS balance sheet a few weeks ago I believe they have around $60 billion in liquid assets. However, if look at MS market capital it's around $300B.

mensa

Feb 2, 2001
If the USA was not in the middle of Mexico and Canada, Canadians would be speaking spanish by now.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: fredtam
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Originally posted by: lirion
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Americans seem to have a very poor grasp of numbers...

It has nothing to do with numbers. Bashing Canada is a national pastime here. And besides that, we're forgetting that Microsoft could probably take out a loan and pay it back over a couple of hundred years.

I think the statement "Ignorance is a national pastime" is far more accurate. We have a television program up here that's called, "Making Fun Of Americans." The host simply interviews Americans and highlights their astounding ignorance and narrow world view.

What the World thinks of America

Okay, so let me see if I have this right. Canadians make fun of Americans, because Americans are ignorant, because Americans make fun of Canadians? :p

No, ignorant in their knowledge of their northern neighbor. Read about it here:

Talking To Americans

That show would be a perfect example of Canadians absolutely obsessed with the US. Obviously Canada should know a lot about the US, simply because US policy has a large impact in Canada. What kind of impact does anything Canada do have on the US? Almost nothing.

Canada is a nice country, but a ton of Canadians are absolutely obsessed with the US. I don't even think that I talk about Canada to anyone once every three months. I imagine Canadians waking up and the first thing they say to whoever they see is 'So what's up with those Americans, eh?'

It must be nice to think that we're obsessed with the US, but I'm affraid you people are just plain ignorant. Sorry.

http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/highlights.html
If you look on page 71 of the detailed report, you will see that a higher percentage of Canadians, Swedes, French, Japanese and Mexicans can pin point the US on a map, than americans themselves. In fact, when the average is taken, the US is at the very bottom (see bottom row).

I suggest you spend less time trying to insult us with dumb jokes and more time educating yourselves.

Umm " Young people in Canada and Great Britain fared almost as poorly as those in the U.S. "

People in 5 other countries could find the US on a map better than we could (and we live here). Do you realize how pathetic we are in geography.

More Mexicans could Japan on a map than we could (and Japan is one our largest trading partners).

Far more Mexicans could Italy on map than we could.

People from all the other countries surveyed could estimate the population of the US better than we could.

People from all the other countries surveyed could say to a far better extent which country the Taliban and al Qaeda movements are from (and no other country in that list has been affected anywhere as close as we have by those two terrorist groups).

So you see, there are huge gaps in the average person's knowledge of geography here. It is quite sad that people in other countries know more in some cases about us and the issues that affect us than we do. This needs to be fixed.

shelaby

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
montreal is the best city in the world, im only 16 and i can get into stirp clubs ands bars up there

BlackJesus03

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
Originally posted by: SampSon
I love how you guys can base your entire opinion of a country from a couple road trip there, and have it be totally justified.

When a Canadian does that to America, your panties get in a huge bunch.

Actually, last time I checked no one gave a sh*t what Canada says, considering all we have to do is tell them to say we are awesome and they'll do. We own them. Furthermore, with Canada pretty much all it does take to form an opinion is a couple of road trips. There's nothing to see.

BlackJesus03

Banned
Feb 20, 2004

It has nothing to do with numbers. Bashing Canada is a national pastime here. And besides that, we're forgetting that Microsoft could probably take out a loan and pay it back over a couple of hundred years.

Nah, it would only take like 75 years. Plus, if Billy boy asked them, I bet Canada would just hand over the reigns themselves. Especially if we (America) told them to.

BlackJesus03

Banned
Feb 20, 2004

I think the statement "Ignorance is a national pastime" is far more accurate. We have a television program up here that's called, "Making Fun Of Americans." The host simply interviews Americans and highlights their astounding ignorance and narrow world view.

What the World thinks of America

Well, if its our astounding ignorance and narrow world view that gets us to the top of the food chain, so be it.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: BlackJesus03
Originally posted by: SampSon
I love how you guys can base your entire opinion of a country from a couple road trip there, and have it be totally justified.

When a Canadian does that to America, your panties get in a huge bunch.

Actually, last time I checked no one gave a sh*t what Canada says, considering all we have to do is tell them to say we are awesome and they'll do. We own them. Furthermore, with Canada pretty much all it does take to form an opinion is a couple of road trips. There's nothing to see.

You f*cking muppet.

Of all the skull-crushingly ignorant posts made in this thread yours takes the cake. Your narrow-mindedness is... simply amazing. I am in awe of your sheer stupidity. Christ, if you think there is nothing to see in Canada then I must assume you're mentally and physically retarted beyond hope. Canada is a beautiful country. The wilderness is never-ending and its cities are cosmopolitan and very exciting.

Of course I don't expect you to know anything about Canada; I can only imagine the universe-altering force required to pry you from your Dungeons and Dragons and out of your grandmother's basement.

Stop trolling, turn off your computer, and kill yourself, you tit.

Twat.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
i get too angry when i read threads like these.
its threads like these that make the world hate americans.

"america would be such a nice country if it wasn't so full of americans"

Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: eakers
i get too angry when i read threads like these.
its threads like these that make the world hate americans.

"america would be such a nice country if it wasn't so full of americans"

The world doesn't hate Americans. As posted by a Canadian earlier in this thread in an attempt to show that Americans are 'universally despised' which resulted in him posting evidence that refuted that claim, the majority of the world likes Americans.