Could Microsoft buy Canada?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
OMFG this thread has turned in to a laughfest!!! :D

A few comments:

1) Canada is well known throughout the World, despite its' lack of ability to extend its' power throughout the world

2) The Self-Absorbed and Worldly-Ignorant make lousy predictors of World Opinion

3) (getting back on topic) The last figure I heard stated that Canada's "known" Natural Resources totalled $20-30 Trillion US. No, Bill Gates needs to pinch some more pennies first. ;)

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Canada is free. Its like you can buy canada. Pay them their 760 billion. Now that you own canada its once again your 760 billion. So canada is kind of like a big free after mail in rebate.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: SweetSweetLeroyBrown
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Why not? Is Canada really worth more than $80 billion?

Canada is not "owned" by anyone. Thus, no Microsoft could not buy it.

It's such a shame that the Captain Obvious username is already taken here...

cainsdive

Sep 4, 2002
Fear not Canadians, for like all great nations, they ALL fall from decay from the inside. And the U.S.A has already started.;) So place your bets on witch one will be next.:beer::D I go for the little AUssie bloke.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
I'd like to challenge that video card analogy. I think the US is more like Intel and Canada is more like AMD.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Kmackalopogus
Who would spend 80 billion dollars on canada? No offense canadians I just don't see much point in 90% ice...

might be oil in those ice

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: brigden
Canadians are liked universally, Americans are nearly despised universally. This topic helps continue that trend.

not much reason to hate someone thats irrelevant.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Canadians are absolutely obsessed with the United States. They complain how the US is called America. They complain about some old jet program (Avro Arrow) and blame the US for it. They complain about softwood lumber and other facts that the population is obsessed with only shows how obsessed they are. Then they go on and talk about great Canadians like Mike Myers, Jim Carey, etc. but they don't realize that they were essentially made by Americans.

The US is like the latest video card, Canada is like the obscure, no-frills video card. Nobody cares about it, but everyone knows all the latest specs of the US.

We comment on how the US is called America because it's wrong.

Actually I'm pretty sure you are wrong. When I first started learning English, I had to use the dictionary a lot and I still use it now for some words. And if you look in the dictionary for the word America you get something like this:

A·mer·i·ca ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mr-k)

1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas (-kz). The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

I'm sure if you check many dictionaries around the world in different languages, you get that too. English-Chinese dictionaries give you the US as a definition for America.

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
I know this quote is getting of topic since it's taken from the first page but I had to respond to that:

Originally posted by: Joeyman

I bet Microsoft could buy Quebec.... but then again who would want to buy a place where the people are both obnoxious and dull

And after that you wonder why we want Québec to be separate from Canada. The minute a French Canadian get out of Québec we are treated by English Canadian like if we were black ppl in USA 300 years ago...

And btw more than 80% of Canada Prime minister have come from Québec...so calling us obnoxious and dull is like insulting our prime minister...but I have no problem with that when you look a Chrétien who could no even talk correctly in BOTH official languages.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Seriously, wtf is wrong with CanOWorms and RabidMongoose. You suck each others dicks in EVERY thread. You always post together in ANY debate thread. Fvcking get a goddamn life or start fighting your own battles. No one else does that annoying stuff. Pathetic.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Le Québécois
And after that you wonder why we want Québec to be separate from Canada. The minute a French Canadian get out of Québec we are treated by English Canadian like if we were black ppl in USA 300 years ago...
Let me be the first to call BUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT.

You're not seriously comparing the 'plight' of Quebecers to black slavery of the 1700s, are you?
rolleye.gif
I can reasonable assure you that here in Toronto, 95% of us couldn't give a sh!t if you were from Quebec or not. Why the hell would we? Most cities in Canada are diverse enough that we all hear a couple of languages a day, French is nothing special.

If you're talking about treatment you'd get in small northern towns or something, boo freakin' hoo. I bet with my Middle Eastern appearance I'd get treated just as badly if not worse. If anything the problem is that you Quebecers have a serious inferiority complex to work out.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Mill
Seriously, wtf is wrong with CanOWorms and RabidMongoose. You suck each others dicks in EVERY thread. You always post together in ANY debate thread. Fvcking get a goddamn life or start fighting your own battles. No one else does that annoying stuff. Pathetic.

Mill, why are you so angry?;)

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

And btw more than 80% of Canada Prime minister have come from Québec...so calling us obnoxious and dull is like insulting our prime minister...but I have no problem with that when you look a Chrétien who could no even talk correctly in BOTH official languages.
Now the Canadians are fighting each other. Let the civil war begin.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Canadians are absolutely obsessed with the United States. They complain how the US is called America. They complain about some old jet program (Avro Arrow) and blame the US for it. They complain about softwood lumber and other facts that the population is obsessed with only shows how obsessed they are. Then they go on and talk about great Canadians like Mike Myers, Jim Carey, etc. but they don't realize that they were essentially made by Americans.

The US is like the latest video card, Canada is like the obscure, no-frills video card. Nobody cares about it, but everyone knows all the latest specs of the US.

We comment on how the US is called America because it's wrong.

Actually I'm pretty sure you are wrong. When I first started learning English, I had to use the dictionary a lot and I still use it now for some words. And if you look in the dictionary for the word America you get something like this:

A·mer·i·ca ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mr-k)

1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas (-kz). The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

I'm sure if you check many dictionaries around the world in different languages, you get that too. English-Chinese dictionaries give you the US as a definition for America.

There are a lot of words which are actually incorrect which have been put into the dictionary because of common use.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
I'm going to reiterate my points:

Never, not once, in my twenty-plus years of living in Canada, or during my travels around the world have I heard Canadians described as America-obsessed. Yes, Canadians likely discuss the US more, but that's to be expected, Canada is next to the most influencial country on the globe. In fact, I've never heard of any country described as America-obsessed.

We know the US is the world's richest and most powerful nation, and certainly the most influencial and significant. However, Canadians, as individuals are liked world-wide more so than their American counterparts. Canadians are known around the world as peacekeepers are extremely popular amongst Europeans.

Americans are frequently described as obnoxious, arrogant, and ignorant, whereas Canadians are often described as friendly and easy-going.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"1) Canada is well known throughout the World, despite its' lack of ability to extend its' power throughout the world"

take the blue pill !

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill

I still luv u even though you're a pea-brained Criminal Justice kid that's telling me to have a life with no regard to your own post count :)

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Atlantean
No it couldn't Canada is worth way more than 80 billion... look at all the natural resources we have.

When you guys bother to acutally "tap" thise natural resources in volume we'll talk...;)

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
"1) Canada is well known throughout the World, despite its' lack of ability to extend its' power throughout the world"

take the blue pill !

LOL!

replicator

Oct 7, 2003
Some interesting facts for those who think that Canada is insignificant to America.

"Canada is the United States' largest oil supplier and the fifth-largest energy producing country in the world. Canada provides about 16% of U.S. oil imports and 14% of total U.S. consumption of natural gas. "

"Canada is the third-largest foreign investor in the United States."

"The United Nations Human Development Index has traditionally listed Canada higher than the United States, with only a few exceptions. Other independent groups, such as the Economist rank Canadian cities as better places to live than American ones."

"Canada beats the U.S. in statistics such as life expectancy, infant mortality, and literacy. "

Don't forget about the weed exports. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canadahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_and_American_economics_compared

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch

take the blue pill !

Not sure what you mean exactly(know it's a Matrix reference ;) ), but I don't think Canadians have much desire to become an International power.

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus
Originally posted by: Le Québécois

You're not seriously comparing the 'plight' of Quebecers to black slavery of the 1700s, are you?
rolleye.gif
I can reasonable assure you that here in Toronto, 95% of us couldn't give a sh!t if you were from Quebec or not. Why the hell would we? Most cities in Canada are diverse enough that we all hear a couple of languages a day, French is nothing special.

If you're talking about treatment you'd get in small northern towns or something, boo freakin' hoo. I bet with my Middle Eastern appearance I'd get treated just as badly if not worse. If anything the problem is that you Quebecers have a serious inferiority complex to work out.

That was just an exemple to get some attention..and it worked.... But my exemple is still correct in one domain. GO back 300 in the US and ask white ppl if they think they treat black ppl correctly, i'm sure you wouldn't find many ppl saying they're doing somethings wrong. That the same with french canadien out of quebec ( by out of quebec i mean west of quebec... when you go to the east every one act normally with us ) you don't see anything wrong since you're not french, but i bet it wouldn't take more than 1 hour for you to see it if you were a french let say...in toronto.