Could lose my job over MP3 sharing at work on a day I wasn't even there.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Cruisin1
Originally posted by: jdini76
Is it your username? Why do you have any bitorrent software on your work computer in the first place? Who knows what kind of trojans can be installed through these types of programs.

You serious?! BT isn't just for illegal activity. There's several legit reasons to get it. I use it all the time to download linux ISOs.

Ditto; it's the only fast way to download game patches unless you pay for like a FilePlanet subscription, and an awesome way to download Knoppix in a snap when you need it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
Yeah its a pretty open network. To get on the wireless you either have to go through some VPN software or install a certificate both of which need a username and password. There is always the chance I wasn't thinking and used my username and password when setting up a cert on some students laptop but that still wouldn't explain the MACs matching up. The other thing is I am by myself at work and just leave my laptop setting on the desk when I go to the bathroom and things. I guess if somebody really wanted to they could have just snagged my MAC address. Just seems like a lot of trouble to go through when most of these people have problems just working the printers.

oh and the user name it lists. Its the username used on the P2P/whatever software and I have no idea where it came from. I never set one up for Azureus.
it might be a good idea to do a thorough inspection and cleaning of that laptop.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Yeah its a pretty open network. To get on the wireless you either have to go through some VPN software or install a certificate both of which need a username and password. There is always the chance I wasn't thinking and used my username and password when setting up a cert on some students laptop but that still wouldn't explain the MACs matching up. The other thing is I am by myself at work and just leave my laptop setting on the desk when I go to the bathroom and things. I guess if somebody really wanted to they could have just snagged my MAC address. Just seems like a lot of trouble to go through when most of these people have problems just working the printers.

oh and the user name it lists. Its the username used on the P2P/whatever software and I have no idea where it came from. I never set one up for Azureus.
it might be a good idea to do a thorough inspection and cleaning of that laptop.

Yeah I agree there. I just want to wait and see what my networking buddy says first. I really don't want to go through the hassle of wiping it out if it ends up they just goofed on the IP address.

And DangerAardvark
WTH is wrong with Free Falling? Its a good song.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Is it your username? Why do you have any bitorrent software on your work computer in the first place? Who knows what kind of trojans can be installed through these types of programs.

You serious?! BT isn't just for illegal activity. There's several legit reasons to get it. I use it all the time to download linux ISOs.

99.99999999999999999999% of the time, you can get the iso of an image off from an ftp site. It's usually faster and 10x more safer/secure

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
You could lose your job over Tom Petty's Free Fallin'? Now that's embarrassing.

On the contrary, it would almost be worth losing one's job for that song.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Nitemare

99.99999999999999999999% of the time, you can get the iso of an image off from an ftp site. It's usually faster and 10x more safer/secure
Hosting costs money, if there's a torrent available I don't know why a person wouldn't choose that over FTP/HTTP. It can greatly reduce bandwidth demands for hosts, especially with large files like ISOs.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: frostedflakes

Hosting costs money, if there's a torrent available I don't know why a person wouldn't choose that over FTP/HTTP. It can greatly reduce bandwidth demands for hosts, especially with large files like ISOs.

having stuff go in and out of a business network like hotcakes on sale isn't exactly the best idea

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

Ditto; it's the only fast way to download game patches unless you pay for like a FilePlanet subscription, and an awesome way to download Knoppix in a snap when you need it.

only fast way? most companies host the patches from their servers and they are pretty damn fast.

CptCrunch

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2005
At my work place if you bring in your personal laptop and connect it to our network and we find out, you get a lovely meet and great with a IS Security person, your director and VP. We take that kind of crap seriously. Also, finding P2P software is a immediate termination offense.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: CptCrunch
At my work place if you bring in your personal laptop and connect it to our network and we find out, you get a lovely meet and great with a IS Security person, your director and VP. We take that kind of crap seriously. Also, finding P2P software is a immediate termination offense.

You guys are Homeland Security or something?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
Originally posted by: CptCrunch

You guys are Homeland Security or something?
most serious businesses are like that.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: frostedflakes

having stuff go in and out of a business network like hotcakes on sale isn't exactly the best idea

exactly

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Its at a university so they have pretty open access to the network. I just don't understand how it shows up as happening on a Saturday when I was at home.

Maybe because that's where you were when you were doing it? At home that is. Does your school provide you internet access from home as well? Is your laptop configured to use a proxy server? The MAC fingers you, that such a thing would be traced back to them on just a MAC address is very unlikely. Somehow or other, you were still connecting thru you work network on that Saturday afternoon.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I think I figured out what my friend meant earlier

11,02/28/08, 02:27:22 ,Renew,(IP address goes here),laptop.,(my mac goes here),
Thats the date they looked up the IP address in the DHCP logs. That would be early Friday morning and when I would have been at work so yep thats me.

Filename: tom petty - tom petty - free fallin.mp3 First Found: 1 Mar 2008 16:36:13 EST (GMT -0500) Last Found: 1 Mar 2008 16:36:13 EST (GMT -0500)
Notice the date the file was actually shared on. Thats Saturday and while I was eating a 3 piece chicken dinner at LJS with the dude from networking. The IP address gets renewed every so many days and I think when he looked up the IP address he looked too far back and got me instead of whoever actually had the IP address on Saturday.

This is a university and students and employees are logging on and off the network constantly so I can see how that would happen. I still won't know if I'm in the clear till tomorrow but I'm at work now. I've lost nearly 4 pound today just from nerves and you don't want to know how :).

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I've been cleared. It ended up being the guy that got the ticket treated the wireless IP like a wired IP. When he couldn't find somebody in the dhcp logs logging in with the offending IP on Saturday he looked back a couple days in the logs till he found somebody with it. On the wired network the IP addresses get renewed every 4 days so thats fairly common but I was on the wireless and it gets renewed every 4 hours. I would have had to leave my computer at work from midnight Thursday till 4:30 Saturday for the IP address to be me which I never do. Somehow the logs didn't catch whoever logged in on Saturday and got the IP I had on Thursday night. Its just a good thing I'm friends with one of the big guns in networking and was actually with him on Saturday so I had a pretty good alibi. If it had been a student there wouldn't have been much they could have done to prove it wasn't them. I did end up getting the networking people in a bit of trouble though since they have to figure out how the log didn't catch whoever had the IP on Saturday.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
You admit to having BT installed on a computer being used for work though

I use BT at work all the time. For example, downloading linux distributions we might want to consider using for servers.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Yeah, EMAIL is a terrible idea for a business.

But what does this have to do with BT?

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
It looks like you may be cleared but I would definitely double check your machine for ares, and not just add/remove programs, it may be running int he background as part of some malware.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
2/28 was a Thursday. So it was actually two days earlier. Why would the DHCP log even be adequate proof? Your lease might have been current and someone could have manually specified your IP Address while your laptop was not on, right?