Could lose my job over MP3 sharing at work on a day I wasn't even there.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Infringing Work: Tom Petty Free Fallin
Filename: tom petty - tom petty - free fallin.mp3 First Found: 1 Mar 2008 16:36:13 EST (GMT -0500) Last Found: 1 Mar 2008 16:36:13 EST (GMT -0500)
Filesize: 3,898k
IP Address: xxxxxxx
IP Port: 41525
Network: AresWarez
Protocol: AresWarez
Username: xxxxxxx

I do have that song from one of my Mom's CDs and we checked and it does show up as being my laptops MAC address the problem is I work 12am to 8am during the week and had no reason to be there on a Saturday afternoon. The only software I do have on there is Azureus bitorrent software and it shouldn't have ever seen that file. Is AresWarez just what they call everything or some P2P napster kind of thing? My Boss is standing up for me but I still don't know what is going to happen.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Is it your username? Why do you have any bitorrent software on your work computer in the first place? Who knows what kind of trojans can be installed through these types of programs.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jdini76
Is it your username? Why do you have any bitorrent software on your work computer in the first place? Who knows what kind of trojans can be installed through these types of programs.

Its also my home computer

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

You should probably buy your own home computer and use your work computer for work-related stuff only.

Nov 5, 2001

your office is brilliant if they allow you to connect your laptop to their network with that kind of stuff on it....

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
mac addresses can be spoofed. but if someone is able login to the network with your credentials, then they have bigger problems.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Its at a university so they have pretty open access to the network. I just don't understand how it shows up as happening on a Saturday when I was at home.

Nov 5, 2001
Its at a university so they have pretty open access to the network. I just don't understand how it shows up as happening on a Saturday when I was at home.

the timestamp could be incorrect. you might have left your laptop at the office.

who knows....

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Irony is getting busted for using p2p software to pirate music when you are guilty but their evidence is for you using software you don't have at a time you wren't in the office.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Anubis
AresWarez looks to be a P2P program according to a quick google search

Thats the best I can figure out. I have left my laptop at work before but not recently and only once or twice.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
This is where common sense comes in handy. Why would you install something like that on a work computer? Also, why would you ask if you could lose your job for file sharing? Of course you could.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
do you have ares installed? (aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net) because thats what areswarez is

ahhh there we go and no I don't have it installed

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: buck
This is where common sense comes in handy. Why would you install something like that on a work computer? Also, why would you ask if you could lose your job for file sharing? Of course you could.

I did't ask if I could lose my job for it. I know I can which is why I don't share MP3s at work as far as I know.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
They might just fire you anyway if you admit to having a p2p program on your computer. Illegal deeds outside of work can be a reason for termination.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
They might just fire you anyway if you admit to having a p2p program on your computer. Illegal deeds outside of work can be a reason for termination.

Since when did having a p2p program in your computer illegal?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

sigh :(

BT has legal uses

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

sigh :(

BT has legal uses

Bt with Tom Petty song in the queue?