Could I replace my brake pads?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Could I just jack up my car, take off the wheels, take off the discs, put on some brake pads, and save a few hundred dollars?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Could I just jack up my car, take off the wheels, take off the discs, put on some brake pads, and save a few hundred dollars?

Yes. What kind of car? and who the hell charges a few hundred dollars to change brake pads?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Yes. What kind of car? and who the hell charges a few hundred dollars to change brake pads?

1995 Nissan 240sx. I didn't think that would matter :p. A few hundred over the life of the vehicle.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

the dealer

Jack up vehicle (Use jack stands), remove tire/rim, remove two 12 MM bolts holding caliper on, retract piston(s) with C-clamp, remove old pads, spray new pads with Anti-Squeal, install new pads, reeinstall caliper, tighten caliper bolts, reinstall tire/rim.

Pump brake pedal until firm, test drive vehicle.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
After seeing my father work on mine... I know I wouldn't be able to do it. Not saftly anyway. Brakes are one thing you really do not want to screw up.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Roger
Jack up vehicle (Use jack stands), remove tire/rim, remove two 12 MM bolts holding caliper on, retract piston(s) with C-clamp, remove old pads, spray new pads with Anti-Squeal, install new pads, reeinstall caliper, tighten caliper bolts, reinstall tire/rim.

Doesn't he need to pop the cap on the brake fuid resevoir so it doesn't pop open and spray everywhere when he pushes in he piston?

Doesn't he need to pop the cap on the brake fuid resevoir so it doesn't pop open and spray everywhere when he pushes in he piston?

I never do, who tops up the resevoir as the pads wear ?

You are welcome Wink :)

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
do it yourself. youll be amazed at how easy it is. just be sure you stabilize the car. put the tire underneath the frame just in case.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Speaking of brakes I have this problem:

2000 Maxima 4 wheel disc. There is a nasty scrunching sound when we use the brakes (even lightly). The rotors are great on all wheels. There is ample brake pad on all wheels. I think the sound is coming from the front, and I've taken only one side apart to check the actual brake pad condition where it contacts the rotor, but I know that all 4 wheels have lots of pad left. I was going to take apart the other three to see if I'm missing something, but do you have any idea what it could be? If it was a bit of rust I don't think it would be as loud as this. It's quite a good scrunch when you use the brakes. Any ideas?

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Yes, and actually you don't need to take the discs off, just the calipers. If it is disc brakes that is. It's really not hard, on my car all you do is take the wheel off take two bolts off the caliper and pull the caliper off. The pads sit in a mounting bracket right against the disc you just pry them out with a screw driver since they fit in pretty snug. The hardest part will be compressing the pistion on the caliper since the new pads will be much thicker. On mine you take the cap off the master cylinder and compress the piston with a c-clamp. Once the caliper is back on put the bolts back in and wheels back on. Don't forget to put the cap back on the master cylinder either. Not sure how different Nissan's are but they can't be that different. I'd recommend getting a Hayne's service manual for the car. They'll tell you exactly how to do it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Regs
After seeing my father work on mine... I know I wouldn't be able to do it. Not saftly anyway. Brakes are one thing you really do not want to screw up.
True - but they really arent THAT hard. At least the objective "I see what you're doing" part isn't. In reality anything on a car that looks easy can be difficult as you try to play with rusted bolts and things of that nature :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Yes, and actually you don't need to take the discs off, just the calipers. If it is disc brakes that is. It's really not hard, on my car all you do is take the wheel off take two bolts off the caliper and pull the caliper off. The pads sit in a mounting bracket right against the disc you just pry them out with a screw driver since they fit in pretty snug. The hardest part will be compressing the pistion on the caliper since the new pads will be much thicker. On mine you take the cap off the master cylinder and compress the piston with a c-clamp. Once the caliper is back on put the bolts back in and wheels back on. Don't forget to put the cap back on the master cylinder either. Not sure how different Nissan's are but they can't be that different. I'd recommend getting a Hayne's service manual for the car. They'll tell you exactly how to do it.
I don't take no cap off my master cylinder ;) Maybe I should though I dunno! Also get a LARGE c clamp. I bought a set and they were too small. Go to home depot and get a bit mother. I also advise getting a haynes for the pictures, but it's a job you can do.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Roger

Oh sh*t, here we go again.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Could be something wrong with your brake lines Skoorb. Had that problem too. Even without hitting the brake at all, I had sounds coming from my rotors.

It could also be your E-brakes inside your drums.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
I don't take no cap off my master cylinder ;) Maybe I should though I dunno! Also get a LARGE c clamp. I bought a set and they were too small. Go to home depot and get a bit mother. I also advise getting a haynes for the pictures, but it's a job you can do.

Skoorb knows his stuff! He just checked his brakes earlier this year.

(And yes, there are :camera:'s!!!!)

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Guess I type slow, sorry for reposting. Skoorb sounds like a pad issue to me. Not exactly sure what scrunching means but if it sounds like metal on metal, take the pads off and look at them, they might have worn unevenly or developed a crack, or it could just be the metal clip that's on them to tell you when they're getting low. If the pads are fine and the discs look fine it could be a problem with the suspension. Maybe a worn bushing, this will usually cause a vibration when you brake though, not usually noise.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Speaking of brakes I have this problem:

2000 Maxima 4 wheel disc. There is a nasty scrunching sound when we use the brakes (even lightly). The rotors are great on all wheels. There is ample brake pad on all wheels. I think the sound is coming from the front, and I've taken only one side apart to check the actual brake pad condition where it contacts the rotor, but I know that all 4 wheels have lots of pad left. I was going to take apart the other three to see if I'm missing something, but do you have any idea what it could be? If it was a bit of rust I don't think it would be as loud as this. It's quite a good scrunch when you use the brakes. Any ideas?

Maximas are junk. Toss it off a cliff. ;)

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Hmm, maybe a stuck piston on one of your calipers too, Skoorb. Does the car pull or shimmy when you brake?

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
it's hella easy to do brakes... esp. if all parts are just being replaced... i always replace rotors instead of resurfacing cause they are so cheap anyhow.