Costco is Face-Covered Only staring May 4th

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
For the first time in 30 years, we're planning to drop our Costco membership. We're ~75 miles from the nearest one.
Still things from Costco we prefer. Their dog food is one that doesn't upset our dog's digestive system, plus several other Kirkland brand products. 60 miles to Costco, 3 to a Sam's Club, which is were most grocery items come from. And I love the scan'n'go app that sam's has. Scan item, put in cart, show barcode on phone at the exit, and go.

Reactions: killster1

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Still things from Costco we prefer. Their dog food is one that doesn't upset our dog's digestive system, plus several other Kirkland brand products. 60 miles to Costco, 3 to a Sam's Club, which is were most grocery items come from. And I love the scan'n'go app that sam's has. Scan item, put in cart, show barcode on phone at the exit, and go.

I agree...some of the Kirkland brand stuff is better than the name brand stuff in the stores, it's just too inconvenient for us.

Reactions: MtnMan
May 13, 2009
I wish all stores around required it tbh. The idiots around me are hell bent on seeing whatever the worst possible outcome is regarding covid. Going to Lowe's this weekend and out of around 60 people in the store maybe 5 had masks on. And a lot of them were obese old people that looked like they have one foot in the grave. Not the brightest bunch.

Nov 20, 2009
You need to study up on how masks work.

An N95 protects the wearer, a N95 with valve (the kind Home Depot typically sells) protect ONLY the wearer, another type of mask that covers the mount AND nose, protects everyone else.
I'm sorry, but I believe this can apply to 99.99% of the population at large. Face mask engineering is not my forte. And trying to read up on masks, in general, effective face coverings for the variety of dangers out there, and then making a decision on what is best in use vs. what is readily available is a whole differnt ball game I never got a degree in, like 99.99 of Earth's population. Duh!

That being said, I find it bemusing that two weeks after they unlock Wuhan they found COVID19 in the air. And while initial air-transmission is COVID19 riding on the mucus droplets rapidly and suddenly leaving the sinus cavity, I am doubting those are still droplets but the actual virus free of that mucus and still being detected. The size of COVID19 on its own makes its way through damn near all consumer face coverings, which is why they were early on forwarding N95 masks. I wasn't advocating it, just following those in their respected medical and disease communities recommendations.

I wish I had kept the size comparison chart of COVID19 vs. other particulate items as it was the Crayola for the people that showed why common household items were going to be a lot less effective.

Nov 20, 2009
FYI, wife hauled my butt to Costco today after she acquired a couple of face masks from her friend, whose sister works in a medical office. I played along and sure enough they were requiring face masks, but surprising Costco was handing ones out to anyone not already wearing one. Kudos to Costco for doing this.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just came back from Costco Business Center. Yes, they require masks. But no big deal since I wear my N95 mask at all stores.

Meat. Yes, there's shortage of beef. They still had plenty of beef, just not in the most popular cuts. No shortage of pork. Plenty of pork. Plenty of chicken in restaurant 40 lb quantity except for chicken wings. I think that's because wings are so cheap right now. I went to buy $1.30 /lb chicken wings. All gone.

Toilet paper shortage is over. Business Center had tons. And no quantity limit that I saw. I didn't buy any because I have plenty at home.
ScAgW02h.jpg

They had limit 3 on the meat so I bought beef flank steak, pork spare ribs, and pork rib tips. I was really tempted to buy 40 pound box of fresh chicken breast since it was only $0.89 /lb but I held off because cooking all that at once is work.
jsyvPq2h.jpg

50 lb short grain sushi rice was back down to $27 range so I bought a bag of that along with 50 lb of high gluten flour. Regular costco only has bread flour. I've only seen the high gluten flour at the business center. High gluten flour is way better for making pizza and bread than regular bread flour.
V91J4gLh.jpg

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
In my mind - scarcity is "we have run out of toilet paper, and are unable to manufacture enough sufficiently because the materials are scarce/too costly/<insert something else relevant to not being able to manufacture it>". THAT is scarcity. The product itself is scarce.

Toilet Paper is not scarce.
Cows are not scarce.
Chickens are not scarce. We have fucktons.

What simply happened (as I explained in an earlier post) is that supply chain 101 teaches you that you do NOT overburden your stores with an overabundance of supply. You supply them with an estimate of what they will sell. Thats it.

The "scarcity" that you guys keep referencing is as simple as a manager saying "Hey - yeah, supply chain? Yeah we had a bunch of douche morons that overbought our TP, so we need you to send some more sooner".

That's it

Well your mind is clueless.

Toilet paper IS SCARCE. What part of that doesn't fit into the concept of the fake supply chain model that you spewed from your ass? It doesn't matter if we have a trillion cows, if you can't walk into a supermarket and buy meat it's a REAL food shortage, not an artificial one.

I was in Costco today and 90% of the meat section was wiped despite a limit of 1 package of beef, 1 package of pork and 1 package of chicken per member. I'm sure all those people who walked out without the meat they wanted will be soothed because according to your reality it's not a real shortage.

Nov 8, 2012
Well your mind is clueless.

Toilet paper IS SCARCE. What part of that doesn't fit into the concept of the fake supply chain model that you spewed from your ass? It doesn't matter if we have a trillion cows, if you can't walk into a supermarket and buy meat it's a REAL food shortage, not an artificial one.

I was in Costco today and 90% of the meat section was wiped despite a limit of 1 package of beef, 1 package of pork and 1 package of chicken per member. I'm sure all those people who walked out without the meat they wanted will be soothed because according to your reality it's not a real shortage.

1588711499428.png

Look sugar tits, wait about a week to two weeks and your precious store shelves will be jam packed again - just like they are now with your precious toilet paper.

It's okay. You can survive on some frozen chicken and *gasp* non-ribeye meat while the trucks are catching up to the stupid hysteria that people like you cause.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm sorry, but I believe this can apply to 99.99% of the population at large. Face mask engineering is not my forte. And trying to read up on masks, in general, effective face coverings for the variety of dangers out there, and then making a decision on what is best in use vs. what is readily available is a whole differnt ball game I never got a degree in, like 99.99 of Earth's population. Duh!

That being said, I find it bemusing that two weeks after they unlock Wuhan they found COVID19 in the air. And while initial air-transmission is COVID19 riding on the mucus droplets rapidly and suddenly leaving the sinus cavity, I am doubting those are still droplets but the actual virus free of that mucus and still being detected. The size of COVID19 on its own makes its way through damn near all consumer face coverings, which is why they were early on forwarding N95 masks. I wasn't advocating it, just following those in their respected medical and disease communities recommendations.

I wish I had kept the size comparison chart of COVID19 vs. other particulate items as it was the Crayola for the people that showed why common household items were going to be a lot less effective.
You don't have to be an automotive engineer to drive a car either. The proper use of the proper type of mask does not require engineering degree in the field.

OBTW, a 'lot less effective' ≠ 'not effective'

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Why did the Costco I goto require everyone to put tape over the filter in their N95 mask?
From what I've briefly read, hardware store n95s have valves that let unfiltered air leave the mask, so you could be blowing germs around with the mask on. I've never seen one in person, but depending on how it's made, the valve could drip like the spit valve in a trumpet.

Reactions: MtnMan

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
From what I've briefly read, hardware store n95s have valves that let unfiltered air leave the mask, so you could be blowing germs around with the mask on. I've never seen one in person, but depending on how it's made, the valve could drip like the spit valve in a trumpet.
Man the fu k up, people. Get your herd on. I've been handling $ for 30+ years and I ain't ded yet. Sock $, boob $, crack ho who knows where $. Hell, I've even seen some sweet chocolate $ in magistrates court.

And a case of corona is still $9?

Get on with your lives. If I'm ded next week, exported_highland.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Why did the Costco I goto require everyone to put tape over the filter in their N95 mask?
It is NOT a filter, it is an exhalation valve. That means that what they exhale is not filtered at all. The valve closes when the person breaths in, and the rest of the mask is the filter.

N95 masks with exhalation valves are NOT allowed in the medical setting, as they do absoultly zero to protect others. The original concept of these types of masks, often sold at Home Depot, was to protect the wearer when they work in a dusty environment, woodworking, mining, etc.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Man the fu k up, people. Get your herd on. I've been handling $ for 30+ years and I ain't ded yet. Sock $, boob $, crack ho who knows where $. Hell, I've even seen some sweet chocolate $ in magistrates court.

And a case of corona is still $9?

Get on with your lives. If I'm ded next week, exported_highland.

Hittin' it a bit early today?

;)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am humble, i could opt out of meat in a second. As long as i got pasta and my indica the rest of the world can burn and i still will be fine :)
This song is definitely for you!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
You don't have to be an automotive engineer to drive a car either. The proper use of the proper type of mask does not require engineering degree in the field.

OBTW, a 'lost less effective' ≠ 'not effective'
And look how badly humans drive their cars.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I love people bitching about this policy and saying they won't shop at Costco. Just more douchebag Trumpist morons I won't have to be around when I do shop there.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Reactionary much?

Reactionaries are the Trumpists. I'm just being progressive. Do you even know what reactionary means? Google that definition before using it. Anyways. Fuck those idiots. You think I like wearing a mask? It's about being considerate to the rest of society though.