Coronavirus Thread: Trump White House Cuts All Funding For The Program Meant To Prevent The Next Viral Pandemic.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That headline was back in Oct 2019 and now the federal government is scrambling to prop up infrastructure to combat the spread of coronavirus.

Obama created the funding because of the slow response to Ebola outbreak back in 2014. We all know Trump cut that funding because President Darkie enacted it. Now we are living with the consequences.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Here is Trump's latest fall guy. He's being chided to move faster, meanwhile the infrastructure we had in place was dismantled by the Mandarin Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We all know Trump cut that funding because President Darkie enacted it.

Based on Trump's record, that is a lie. He adopted the Republican policy of hack and slash government. The funding cuts are to break government under the guise of reducing the deficit. They are widespread throughout every agency except maybe the military.

Anyways, to my point: It is Hack and slash, no indication of specific targeting. P&N is littered with topics on the various cuts being made.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Based on Trump's record, that is a lie. He adopted the Republican policy of hack and slash government. The funding cuts are to break government under the guise of reducing the deficit. They are widespread throughout every agency except maybe the military.

Anyways, to my point: It is Hack and slash, no indication of specific targeting. P&N is littered with topics on the various cuts being made.
Republican policy is hack and slash. They manipulate Trump into hacking and slashing by appealing to his desires to undo anything Obama did.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
We need programs in place as we did for ebola but nothing is going to stop coronavirus as it's already in the wild and infects before the symptoms manifest. Transmission from person to person will occur before anyone knows it has. Fortunately while serious it's not the species killer some fear coming.

Reactions: Muse

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans are also suing to have Republican judges throw tens of millions of Americans off health insurance in the middle of a pandemic.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Republican policy is hack and slash. They manipulate Trump into hacking and slashing by appealing to his desires to undo anything Obama did.

The hack and slash program being run by the Repubs up on the Hill is so predominant in the area of ANYTHING that benefits the middle class and the poor. It includes all political persuasions, yet it seems the conservative working class is hellbent on denying themselves and everyone else in that class those gov't services and benefits that the liberals/progressives are fighting against the GOP leadership's desire to strip away.

The irony is epic and so is the working class conservative's willful ignorance of their own demise.

Reactions: Pohemi

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The hack and slash program being run by the Repubs up on the Hill is so predominant in the area of ANYTHING that benefits the middle class and the poor. It includes all political persuasions, yet it seems the conservative working class is hellbent on denying themselves and everyone else in that class those gov't services and benefits that the liberals/progressives are fighting against the GOP leadership's desire to strip away.

The irony is epic and so is the working class conservative's willful ignorance of their own demise.

They're also denying themselves the decent govt jobs we can create. Coal miners? We can create a reclamation corps so they can help restore ravaged landscapes & keep 'em busy for decades. They won't even have to move. No profit in it, of course, so why bother, right? Fuck them hillbillies. It's the same for blighted inner city neighborhoods, as well. Fuck them others. Free Market Capitalism says they get screwed, and there's nothing more important than the sacred Free Market.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
well if I get sick I'll be sure to sue the us government for negligence.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We need programs in place as we did for ebola but nothing is going to stop coronavirus as it's already in the wild and infects before the symptoms manifest. Transmission from person to person will occur before anyone knows it has. Fortunately while serious it's not the species killer some fear coming.

4% of the world population dying ain no thing.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
4% of the world population dying ain no thing.

Context matters.

Edit:

I'm speaking from an epidemiological perspective and "fortunate" is relative in this sense.

The CDC and WHO are easily accessible sites that anyone can use and that's where the following is for the most part coming from.

Coronavirus isn't something new, and the best known examples are SARS and MERS, the latter having a one in three fatality rate. As the "ME" in MERS is for Middle Eastern, there is a problem in equivalency between it and this variant of coronavirus as the sanitary condition in that region are pretty poor compared to most of the Western world, however contextually and at this time, it is "fortunate" that the mortality rate of the new variant is not as great, in the sense that it is fortunate that the Ebola scare was not the nightmare some portrayed it to be. BTW, Ebola can have a fatality rate of 90% so this is where the context comes in. "Well if you are one infected it's horrible" and of course that is true, but we're talking populations and the context of epidemiology comes into play by definition.

This is a decent elementary primer.

Any mortality is unfortunate at a personal level but care ought to be taken to not conflate individual impact and scientific analysis of the contagion at large scale any more than individual tragedy from one F5 deadly tornado with changes in global climate.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Not a lie. There's plenty of evidence Trump likes killing programs because Obama enacted them. As for GOP policy of hack and slash government that is also true. Somehow it hasn't stopped the rising deficits that were going down under the last 4 years of Obama. It also didn't stop Republicans creating a brand new welfare program for farmers. So much for hack and slash

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Not a lie. There's plenty of evidence Trump likes killing programs because Obama enacted them. As for GOP policy of hack and slash government that is also true. Somehow it hasn't stopped the rising deficits that were going down under the last 4 years of Obama. It also didn't stop Republicans creating a brand new welfare program for farmers. So much for hack and slash

It's political healthcare so what do you expect?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Rugged individualists like John Galt & Jeremiah Johnson don't need no stinking govt.

• Haha
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Trump had better hope this coronavirus doesn't get a significant foothold in the US, because it'll be pretty easy for the Democrats to point the finger at him (and importantly, make it stick) over his recklessness.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Not a lie. There's plenty of evidence Trump likes...

Their track record is blind stupidity towards budget reductions.
I see no evidence of motive for this particular case. Do you?
Absent an actual reason, I'll stick with it being typical hack and slash.

Hell, I'd love to see someone try to explain this Budget item in the oval office. Just bring me the coloring book they used to explain it, and I'll concede.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Their track record is blind stupidity towards budget reductions.
I see no evidence of motive for this particular case. Do you?
Absent an actual reason, I'll stick with it being typical hack and slash.

Hell, I'd love to see someone try to explain this Budget item in the oval office. Just bring me the coloring book they used to explain it, and I'll concede.
Yes I see motive. It's Trump so because Obama enacted it.