Coronavirus Thread: Trump White House Cuts All Funding For The Program Meant To Prevent The Next Viral Pandemic.

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Cuomo here, btw comes off as super competent, has to cast him self at the mercy of Trump and co ... lets see how that works out for him.

Basicly he says you need the army to build new infrastructure to handle to incoming wave of sick people.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Cuomo here, btw comes off as super competent, has to cast him self at the mercy of Trump and co ... lets see how that works out for him.

Basicly he says you need the army to build new infrastructure to handle to incoming wave of sick people.

I thought the Guard had a number of medical units. Activate those, activate the engineering aspects of the guard to construct field hospitals. etc etc etc.

Dec 10, 2005

I thought the Guard had a number of medical units. Activate those, activate the engineering aspects of the guard to construct field hospitals. etc etc etc.

Yeah - I would think that he could mobilize the National Guard for those tasks on his own, under the state of emergency. But perhaps, he wants federal action too, in order to muster even more resources.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah - I would think that he could mobilize the National Guard for those tasks on his own, under the state of emergency. But perhaps, he wants federal action too, in order to muster even more resources.
You also have to question if the National Guard is actually up to the task. Not putting the NG down or anything.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I also wonder if getting the feds to do it would mean it wouldn’t come out of the state budget.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You also have to question if the National Guard is actually up to the task. Not putting the NG down or anything.

Depends on what you need done. Best to think of them as extremely versatile semi-skilled labor who can handle most physical tasks without training and can easily be uptrained for more specialized physical work. If you smartly demarcated the work into well-decomposed tasks then you could probably train most to do some limited amount of skilled labor work in short order as well via smart division of labor.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Funny how Trump is only concerned with the stock market. If stocks are high then everything is just peachy in America in the mind of Trump. Market’s will not save the waiter’s or cashiers or fast food workers nor most every hourly worker in America. The markets WILL CRASH. It is inevitable. America can not shut down without the eventually of a 1929-like crash. And as in 1928, then too the wealthy tried to rally the markets by playing tricks to give temporary illusions that the market were stable. They weren’t... they crashed. Nearly everyone in America has direct deposit including those on social security. The day will come most likely this summer when debit cards won’t work, ATMs no longer dispense, and banks close.
We are concerned about empty store shelves and out of stock goods so we hoard when and if we can. People might want to consider hoarding some cash along with that toilet paper. In any depression it is cash that determines who eats and who starves.
Everyone needs a cash stash. EVERYONE.
CASH STASH.
EVERYONE.
START WORKING ON THAT NOW.
Seriously, that is the best advice you will ever get considering the current situation.
In 1929, my grandparents had $3000 stashed away. That $3000 got them through the Great Depression. Back then, bread was ten cents. If America has another Great Depression, goods will fall back to 1929 prices. Even a hundred dollars stashed away now might save your family from becoming homeless. Or starving.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Funny how Trump is only concerned with the stock market. If stocks are high then everything is just peachy in America in the mind of Trump. Market’s will not save the waiter’s or cashiers or fast food workers nor most every hourly worker in America. The markets WILL CRASH. It is inevitable. America can not shut down without the eventually of a 1929-like crash. And as in 1928, then too the wealthy tried to rally the markets by playing tricks to give temporary illusions that the market were stable. They weren’t... they crashed. Nearly everyone in America has direct deposit including those on social security. The day will come most likely this summer when debit cards won’t work, ATMs no longer dispense, and banks close.
We are concerned about empty store shelves and out of stock goods so we hoard when and if we can. People might want to consider hoarding some cash along with that toilet paper. In any depression it is cash that determines who eats and who starves.
Everyone needs a cash stash. EVERYONE.
CASH STASH.
EVERYONE.
START WORKING ON THAT NOW.
Seriously, that is the best advice you will ever get considering the current situation.
In 1929, my grandparents had $3000 stashed away. That $3000 got them through the Great Depression. Back then, bread was ten cents. If America has another Great Depression, goods will fall back to 1929 prices. Even a hundred dollars stashed away now might save your family from becoming homeless. Or starving.

Your premise (keeping some physical currency on hand) is good but you went a bit overboard by the end.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
More conservative homophobia and bigotry. This time related to COVID-19

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is getting to absolute ridiculousness. He's giving medical advise now, for a drug that still hasn't officially approved for use by the FDA. Why was he spared?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
i don't quite follow - shouldn't the market go up if people felt more confident?
Are you feeling more confident is the question. I know we haven't begun to get a handle on the situation. Talking about vacines at this stage is a waste of time (not the actual work). Basics lack of necessities are going to get the medical staffs infected. Lack of PPE is critical.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think once we actually start testing and see the infection rates skyrocket, the market will do the opposite.