Core i9 9900k Builders Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Well, to be fair I had to pay $614 with tax, vs the $504 shipped from Provantage...which has no ETA on shipping. I was jonesing for an upgrade, I was on a i5 4670k.

If you browse the intel subreddit, a lot of others are reporting similar things to me...although I have yet to OC it with this cooler. I might put together a custom loop, there's plenty of space in the ncase m1 for one. But it sure is quiet on air, compared to my previous AIO's. I did not realize how loud that pump was, and i'd had a few Laing D5 custom loops before...I might just stick with this guy and figure out the best fan placement.

sparkj

Oct 26, 2018
I am putting my 9900k in an ncase m1, with a be quiet! dark rock TF, and an ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/AC. Wish me luck!

Anyone looking to get a Z390 should really look at this post: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...0-vrm-discussion-thread-216.html#post27657582
Hey did you have any trouble with the dark rock tf and the asrock board? I want to use the same board but where I'm from, there are no exchanges or refunds, so it would be great if you could report back.
I was looking at this guy's post on reddit, he mentions in the thread that there is 1mm clearance with his tridentZ ram, but in the pictures (3rd pic) it also seems the Z370 fatality's VRM heatsink is just about to hit the dark rock. In the Z390 Phantom, the VRM headsink is even taller, so I was worried it wouldn't fit.

Last edited:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Hey did you have any trouble with the dark rock tf and the asrock board? I want to use the same board but where I'm from, there are no exchanges or refunds, so it would be great if you could report back.
I was looking at this guy's post on reddit, he mentions in the thread that there is 1mm clearance with his tridentZ ram, but in the pictures (3rd pic) it also seems the Z370 fatality's VRM heatsink is just about to hit the dark rock. In the Z390 Phantom, the VRM headsink is even taller, so I was worried it wouldn't fit.

Works fine, I do wish I got lower memory, but works fine, check out the pictures here:

http://vivithemage.com/2018/10/26/ncase-m1-v5-and-i9-9900k-work-great/

sparkj

Oct 26, 2018
Works fine, I do wish I got lower memory, but works fine, check out the pictures here:

Thanks for those pictures, they're very helpful.
Does the dark rock TF only fit in that orientation? I've seen people mounting it with the shorter heatsink's pipes facing the ram.
[edit: this guy responded on my reddit question and said that perhaps if you rotated the cooler it might clear the ram].

I have ripjaws V ram coming in the mail for my build but can't find the thickness of those kits anywhere (the specs on gskill's site say 1.5cm, which is clearly wrong), eyeballing seems to say they maybe slightly thicker than your RAM, so I imagine my ram might be bent a bit more than yours.

Is there any concern with bending the ram slightly? would the heat transfer between the CPU and ram heatsinks raise the ram temperatures significantly?

On a side note, looking at the screenshots of the board vs gigabyte, the gigabyte has an ever-so-slightly larger gap between the CPU socket and the dimm slots, which might be all it needs to clear the dark rock TF >.<

Unfortunately the gigabyte is even more expensive than the asrock phantom where i'm from, and asrock's board still seems to be superior in most ways.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I don't know, I tried fitment in all 4 orientations, everything else would either pop out the top, hit the backside of the heatsinks, or really rub on the memory harder then it its now. If you do try, LMK, maybe I just didn't seat it all the way down and there is indeed more room then I thought when I tried.

The asrock phantom is amazing power wise, I don't think you will find a better board. It is also visually appealing. I do like the m.2 card fits inside the bottom heatsink there, really nifty.

If you want, I can take it apart and take more pictures if that'll help.

sparkj

Oct 26, 2018
I don't know, I tried fitment in all 4 orientations, everything else would either pop out the top, hit the backside of the heatsinks, or really rub on the memory harder then it its now. If you do try, LMK, maybe I just didn't seat it all the way down and there is indeed more room then I thought when I tried.

The asrock phantom is amazing power wise, I don't think you will find a better board. It is also visually appealing. I do like the m.2 card fits inside the bottom heatsink there, really nifty.

If you want, I can take it apart and take more pictures if that'll help.

I've got the dark rock TF in front of me actually, but just haven't bought the board yet.

Just did some measurements and it seems that if the shorter heatsink's heatpipes won't work, as they portrude a bit more than the way you have it now. But having the larger heatsink's heatpipes facing the ram might work (EDIT: like this and this), as it seems to give a bit more height clearance due to the angling of it. Would the dark rock hit the back of the ncase in this orientation and is that why it didn't work when you tried?

I think I'll get the board anyway and try, worst case I'll just have ram that is slightly bent... in my googling I only found people warning against doing so, but nobody actually having a failed ram, dimm slot, or board because of it lol.

Last edited:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I don't think that would work, I think it'd hit the back of the case, and I was hoping to put a 90mm back there inside anyway...that also has a lot of bend on the memory, maybe a smidge more then my orientation? Also, the pipes on the right (near the back of the mobo) will hit the heatsink they have their. I added a picture showing it:
http://vivithemage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IMG_20181026_121915.jpg

Yeah, it's a risk I guess, but I have heard you can take the heatsinks off the ram, not like it does much for heat dissipation anyway. But that sounds like a lot of work, and would void any warranty anyway.

Reactions: sparkj

sparkj

Oct 26, 2018
I don't think that would work, I think it'd hit the back of the case, and I was hoping to put a 90mm back there inside anyway...that also has a lot of bend on the memory, maybe a smidge more then my orientation? Also, the pipes on the right (near the back of the mobo) will hit the heatsink they have their. I added a picture showing it:
http://vivithemage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IMG_20181026_121915.jpg

Yeah, it's a risk I guess, but I have heard you can take the heatsinks off the ram, not like it does much for heat dissipation anyway. But that sounds like a lot of work, and would void any warranty anyway.

Yeah that heatsink was the one i was originally worried about since it's much larger than the Z370 version...

Looks like yours is the only way then in this board!

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Yeah, and I am pretty sure I am more then happy. I was surprised I didn't have to cut or trim anything. A lot of other boards had to I guess.

I still cannot believe how quiet it it idle. Compared to my water pumps, it's been so long since i've been on air only...so nice.

I added two more pictures of my airflow. There was a fellow on reddit who did a lot of tests, said this config was best. The be quiet fans pulling in, and one case fan pulling OUT.

sparkj

Oct 26, 2018
Yeah, and I am pretty sure I am more then happy. I was surprised I didn't have to cut or trim anything. A lot of other boards had to I guess.

I still cannot believe how quiet it it idle. Compared to my water pumps, it's been so long since i've been on air only...so nice.

I added two more pictures of my airflow. There was a fellow on reddit who did a lot of tests, said this config was best. The be quiet fans pulling in, and one case fan pulling OUT.

Are you using the SF600 gold or platinum? I heard the SF600 have some pretty noisy units.

I'm waiting on reviews for the platinum version... If you are using it, how is the fan noise on load?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Got lucky and picked one up at Micro Center today.
FiDze72.jpg

sparkj

Oct 26, 2018
Pretty sure it's gold, it is damn quiet.

Got the board and built! You were totally right, this is the only orientation possible!

I am wondering about the M.2 heatsink on the phantom ITX, it seems that thermal pad is somewhat sticky... if i put it onto my drive, it will stick onto the ssd sticker which says void if removed.... so I don't know if I can put the heatsink on the m.2 drive...
What did you do with yours?

BrandonT

Feb 23, 2011
Looking at my case a bit more, I'm a little concerned. The front 140's only pull through some vents on the side of the front face. Might be an issue. We'll see what happens when I test it. I'm going to start without that 120 on the bottom, then turn it on and see what happens, If it is significant, that might imply the front 140's aren't doing much. There is another version of this case that leaves the VC mounted to the mobo, and so you could put two 120's on the bottom to supply the air, with it exhausting out a front radiator, PSU, and back 120. If you move the radiator to the front you can't use the side for fans at all. Choices, choices...

So the rig is built and doing some stress testing to make sure everything is working well. I have the side of the case off so the Fractal Design Celsius S24 is getting as good air as it will ever get. Prime95 Blend maxes around 67C, but small FFT's is touching 89C on one of the cores. Thoughts?

BrandonT

Feb 23, 2011
So the rig is built and doing some stress testing to make sure everything is working well. I have the side of the case off so the Fractal Design Celsius S24 is getting as good air as it will ever get. Prime95 Blend maxes around 67C, but small FFT's is touching 89C on one of the cores. Thoughts?

BTW this is a 9900K on the Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming mITX mobo. I thought maybe I didn't do the thermal paste (Kryonaut) since I've never used it before, but it looked good when I removed the heatsink. Still took extra special care remounting it just to make sure.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I must have missed what HSF you are using and what speed you are running, but all the reviews said that at stock an AIO would struggle and overclocked a custom water setup would be required. So those temps look OK.

BrandonT

Feb 23, 2011
I'm using a Fractal Design Celsius S24. Where is the danger/reliability area? I'm coming from a 3570K, so it's been a while.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Been hawking Amazon for 9700k availability. Today the price dropped from $419 to $385. Still not in stock, but I did preorder at that new price. Maybe a good sign?

BrandonT

Feb 23, 2011
Does the current version of Prime95 use AVX instructions by default? I'm going to play with turning HT off and using an AVX offset to see what the temps do. Small FFT's with AVX and HT may be the worst case scenario, and most tasks will run much cooler. I'm replacing my 3570K due to a lot of Handbrake work though, so that may also push the temps to the limit.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Got the board and built! You were totally right, this is the only orientation possible!

I am wondering about the M.2 heatsink on the phantom ITX, it seems that thermal pad is somewhat sticky... if i put it onto my drive, it will stick onto the ssd sticker which says void if removed.... so I don't know if I can put the heatsink on the m.2 drive...
What did you do with yours?

Did you take the plastic piece off? It might feel sticker, but it is definitely not sticky. It's a standard thermal pad. They may form around when hot, but i've never seen one get "sticky" enough to pull a sticker off.

Oh, I also used a rice size of Kryonaut with my cooler. I have had my PC on for a few days, and it is idle right now, doing internet stuff, and it's around 35C~ on all 8 cores in my ncase m1 v5, with the be quiet tf cooler.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Anyone by any chance have an m2*6mm tapered screw they can donate? Stripped out one on the m.2 slot of my ASUS Hero.