Cops stop former teacher from murderous rampage

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Good job policemen! I hope you guys high fived each other after stopping this psycho from countless drive-by shootings against innocent children. No one needs more than 10 flints for their gun!

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/02/video-retired-teacher-faces-10-years-for-flintlock-possession/

When a 72-year-old retired school teacher faces a 10 year felony sentence (a likely life sentence) for possession of an unloaded 18th century flintlock pistol, one knows immediately that we can only be talking about a handful of states in which such a travesty can happen. In this case, not surprisingly, it’s the “Garden State” of New Jersey.

Gordon Van Gilder, who taught in the New Jersey school system for 34 years, is a collector of 18th century memorabilia. He acquired a genuine antique flintlock pistol from that era, and had it unloaded and wrapped in a cloth in his glove compartment when he was pulled over for an alleged minor traffic violation.

Van Gilder consented to a requested search of his vehicle, and when asked by the officer if there was anything in the car the officer should be worried about, Van Gilder informed him about the flintlock in the glove box. Although not arrested that day, the next morning several patrol cars woke him at his home and placed him under arrest.

New Jersey’s draconian gun laws explicitly include antique firearms such as this 300-year-old pistol. Indeed, possession of a slingshot is a felony under New Jersey law.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Good job policemen! I hope you guys high fived each other after stopping this psycho from countless drive-by shootings against innocent children. No one needs more than 10 flints for their gun!

What they needed to do instead was protect us from the drive-by media.

He was arrested. What happens next? Who cares! You're outraged, you don't care about any follow-up. And tomorrow will be a completely new half-story to be outraged over!

In other words, let's actually see what the punishment is before spreading sensationalized outrage-inducing stories about what the punishment might be.

Last edited:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
wher i live, covicted feloms can possess antique curio/relic firearms. Maybe he can be a catalyst for legal change.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
So what was he charged with? It was unloaded. Was it a stolen weapon or something?

LOL article is from website calledL "legal insurrection"

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/02...ck-possession/

When a 72-year-old retired school teacher faces a 10 year felony sentence (a likely life sentence) for possession of an unloaded 18th century flintlock pistol, one knows immediately that we can only be talking about a handful of states in which such a travesty can happen. In this case, not surprisingly, it’s the “Garden State” of New Jersey.

Gordon Van Gilder, who taught in the New Jersey school system for 34 years, is a collector of 18th century memorabilia. He acquired a genuine antique flintlock pistol from that era, and had it unloaded and wrapped in a cloth in his glove compartment when he was pulled over for an alleged minor traffic violation.

Van Gilder consented to a requested search of his vehicle, and when asked by the officer if there was anything in the car the officer should be worried about, Van Gilder informed him about the flintlock in the glove box. Although not arrested that day, the next morning several patrol cars woke him at his home and placed him under arrest.

New Jersey’s draconian gun laws explicitly include antique firearms such as this 300-year-old pistol. Indeed, possession of a slingshot is a felony under New Jersey law.
No main stream news organisations have anything on this??? Bazinga!!

Jan 25, 2011
§ 2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons

b. Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

http://www.morristowncriminallaw.co...-an-indictable-offense-under-n-j-s-a-2c39-5b/

When people talk about new gun laws it's always "we don't need new ones, enforce the ones we have!"

Then when they enforce the ones we have.....

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
So what was he charged with? It was unloaded. Was it a stolen weapon or something?

LOL article is from website calledL "legal insurrection"

In some states you can't have a firearm in the passenger compartment. This is NJ, so I assume having a 300 year old unloaded gun in the passenger compartment has the same punishment as killing 42 people.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
http://www.morristowncriminallaw.co...-an-indictable-offense-under-n-j-s-a-2c39-5b/

When people talk about new gun laws it's always "we don't need new ones, enforce the ones we have!"

Then when they enforce the ones we have.....

You'd think a "collector" would have a permit. I'm not familiar with NJ permits, but IL has a general license to own and buy ammunition for a fire arm and a separate conceal and carry permit. I'm wondering which one this man needed?

oobydoobydoo

Nov 14, 2014
I can't find a single thing about this on a legitimate news site. Local news would've at least picked it up if it wasn't another half-baked GOP false flag op.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
You'd think a "collector" would have a permit. I'm not familiar with NJ permits, but IL has a general license to own and buy ammunition for a fire arm and a separate conceal and carry permit. I'm wondering which one this man needed?

Again...I'm guessing it was because it was in the passenger compartment. If I didn't have a CPL, all firearms would have to be in a case for them to be in the passenger compartment.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Why would the police request to search a 72 year old man's car?? For what reason? Did they smell marijuana? Did they suspect him of being a drug runner?

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
Why would the police request to search a 72 year old man's car?? For what reason? Did they smell marijuana? Did they suspect him of being a drug runner?

Maybe he told him he had a firearm before the officer asked to search the car? Article may have the timeline messed up.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Why the hell would anyone under any circumstance voluntarily consent to a police search of their vehicle?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Why the hell would anyone under any circumstance voluntarily consent to a police search of their vehicle?

They somehow think that in America the police won't destroy your life over trivialities. They do not know that America is Best Korea.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004

Watch the video. He explains what happened to him.

In this case, the officer threatened to call in a search dog if he did not consent.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
New Jersey is a joke and even treats a 400 fps air rifle as a firearm, requiring one to have a firearm permit.

There MIGHT be something missing here. Why did a cop demand to search over a minor traffic violation? Absolutely the potential punishment here is ludicrous but I feel we are missing something.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
...ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter.

He may be able to skate on a technicality then; most flintlock pistols use >= .50 inch bullets.

You'd be hard pressed to find a < .40 inch bore on a genuine antique pistol.

... though I can't imagine it's a valid loophole in NJ law; otherwise any pistol of .38 caliber or greater would be legal to carry =\

Hey! you can't carry that BB gun! Take a sensible firearm; like this Desert Eagle.

In either case. Never consent to a search. EVER.