Cop shoots DUI suspect after crash, DA won't charge cop

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Hmm..touched a nerve didn't I? Perhaps it hit too close to home?

Predictable tactic you've used before. Try to make it out like the person refuting your argument has a personal ax to grind. Try addressing the argument instead.

The fact is there is a systemic problem with racism in the police force, and also systemic physical abuse (beatings, shootings) and lack of accountability in the police force.

Systemic problems, possibly. But you have no idea how to prove any such thing. Fact is your news stories prove little if anything.

The data all shows this. These anecdotal incidents just show the reality of police abuse, something many people continue to deny, claiming "few bad apples", or "isolated incidents" when they are nothing of the sort.

I've seen some data. In fact, I've seen two media surveys, both of which I linked to in another thread, which were done earlier this year, one from WaPo and the other from the Guardian. I certainly think the low number of prosecutions suggests that police aren't often prosecuted and this is likely a systemic problem. It's probably that DA's generally have too close a relationship with the police, and the decision needs to be taken out of their hands.

So far as there being a systemic problem with abuse, we need to see data over time to determine a trend, and we don't have it. These media surveys are new and pertain to this year. The FBI data is apparently incomplete. So we have an idea how many officer involved killings there are, but we can't compare it to how many there were say 10 years ago, and I can't find any information allowing us to compare it to other countries.

You have data that supports you idea? Because I've posted plenty of statistical surveys from actual police surveys and police reports showing clear racial bias to blacks and other minorities, and also that cops admit they break the law and abuse people.

I'm interested in seeing that.

How many police dept's are under DOJ investigation or supervision for excessive force? Hint: if it wasn't a systemic problem, there would be no need for DOJ oversight.

I've read about several individual cases like Cleveland. I don't know how many. I know there are over 15,000 police departments in the country. About 300 in what you'd call large cities. Often a DoJ investigation is initiated because of a high profile event that plays out in the media. This happens far more frequently these days for two reasons: the internet, and phones with cameras.

Sorry you don't want to admit the facts, but they are facts.

No, I'm all about the facts. Which is why I call these stories differently depending on the facts. I haven't counted but I think I'm about 60/40 anti/pro cop in the way I call individual news stories. Not many people can claim that sort of objectivity and certainly not you.

In any event, I'm fully open to persuasion with data. My post was reacting to your constant sneering about "a few bad apples" first, because it's a straw man, and second, because you keep saying it every time you post a news story and those stories don't prove any of what you're claiming.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I know what the article says. But what you and many others do not understand is the stupid shit people constantly say when they are arrested or in trouble or in handcuffs or have been drinking. You would not understand it unless you had to deal with it constantly. Cops become immune to it. I believe the cop heard the guy saying he had been shot, and was only saying he had been shot because he heard the gun go off and the cop really didn't think he shot him. Once the cop realized it was probably true... then the "oh shit" sank in.

Remember Eric Garner and "I can't breathe!" - same situation.

They become immune to firing their service weapon at a person and said person claiming they are shot? That's not exactly something that any peace officer should become immune to but you have peaked my curiosity. How many times do you have to shoot at and miss a person to become immune to the entire "I've been shot" thing? If it does in fact happen that often then maybe they should pick another line of work, either they are the worst shots in the world, they are firing their weapons way to much or they have zero human empathy. Any one of those should automatically disqualify someone from having a state issued firearm.

And in both situations they were not charged. There is a reason why people that understand police work are the ones who decide to charge officers... and not public opinion.

The law is supposed to decide if people get charged with a crime, period. Understanding of police work is irrelevant, you don't get to break the law based upon your profession.

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Say a doctor was performing surgery and the doctor made a mistake that led to his patients death. Should the doctor be criminally charged as well?

I'm not going to spend 45 minutes typing up a post about police work in this incident, only to say that I don't believe - as does the county attorney - that the officer meant to shoot the guy and I also believe that the officer did not know the man was shot and I don't believe the officer tried to cover it up either. It would be pointless - you can't hide a bullet hole in a person. It doesn't make sense.

If he killed someone due to gross negligence, then yes.... The doctor would lose their license, be charged with murder/manslaughter, and would be sued for everything they own

What I find most interesting about these cases is that we apparently have millions laying around to pay in lawsuits, but nothing to screen and train cops with.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Predictable tactic you've used before. Try to make it out like the person refuting your argument has a personal ax to grind. Try addressing the argument instead.

Systemic problems, possibly. But you have no idea how to prove any such thing. Fact is your news stories prove little if anything.

LOL. What little credibility you have is even less now. First off, saying that you saw that Ollie North testified about OBL being dangerous, which never happened shows how ignorant you really are. Listen and blindly believe talk radio much? Why should anyone talk you seriously after that kind of blatant ignorance?

Second, given you just posted earlier in the thread wanting vigilante justice for the dead man again shows what you think about the law (read: not much).

But here, I've posted plenty of facts:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2456474&highlight=police

Article in OP about how many cops plant evidence for years, arresting over 500 people with the DA ignoring it.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2455089&highlight=police

Here, an entire city PD basically whitewashes 97% of all complaints,saying they are unjustified.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2452405&highlight=police

Here, at least 7 states (and they aren't low pop states, so the population % is probably higher) all show systemic racism in their policing. That is 7 entire states of the US.Other states don't have the data to track, so we don't know about the others. But all the ones we do know about show systemic racism.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2451163&highlight=police

Large problem of testilying in the NYPD. Another large PD.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181312.pdf

Survey of actual cops showing large percentages use too much force, beat people for talking back, and don't report on each other when crimes are committed.

http://apps.frontline.org/fixingtheforce/#allegations

More DOJ investigations of abuse, over 30 cities/areas with issues.

All of these are documented facts of large areas and groups of people. None are single anecdotal evidence.

You got anything that proves all of this DATA wrong? Other then your say-so of course.

Bart*Simpson

Jul 21, 2015
www.canadaka.net
The guy was driving drunk, ran from the cops and killed his wife in the process when he flipped his car. What the hell?

Then of course that made it okay for the cop to dispense summary justice. I have no idea what everyone else is complaining about. It's not like the DUI driver didn't ask for it with his wanton disrespect of police authority.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
LOL. What little credibility you have is even less now. First off, saying that you saw that Ollie North testified about OBL being dangerous, which never happened shows how ignorant you really are. Listen and blindly believe talk radio much? Why should anyone talk you seriously after that kind of blatant ignorance?

Second, given you just posted earlier in the thread wanting vigilante justice for the dead man again shows what you think about the law (read: not much).

But here, I've posted plenty of facts:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2456474&highlight=police

Article in OP about how many cops plant evidence for years, arresting over 500 people with the DA ignoring it.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2455089&highlight=police

Here, an entire city PD basically whitewashes 97% of all complaints,saying they are unjustified.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2452405&highlight=police

Here, at least 7 states (and they aren't low pop states, so the population % is probably higher) all show systemic racism in their policing. That is 7 entire states of the US.Other states don't have the data to track, so we don't know about the others. But all the ones we do know about show systemic racism.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2451163&highlight=police

Large problem of testilying in the NYPD. Another large PD.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181312.pdf

Survey of actual cops showing large percentages use too much force, beat people for talking back, and don't report on each other when crimes are committed.

http://apps.frontline.org/fixingtheforce/#allegations

More DOJ investigations of abuse, over 30 cities/areas with issues.

All of these are documented facts of large areas and groups of people. None are single anecdotal evidence.

You got anything that proves all of this DATA wrong? Other then your say-so of course.

Get out of here with all your data and facts! You should know that those things aren't welcomed in threads like these!!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Ah, another interesting wrinkle to the thread. I can't agree with this in full. If the guy was a habitual DUIer (and likely alcoholic), then I would agree with your assessment. But suppose he hadn't done this before, but he and his wife went out, both got drunk, and both agreed that the one less drunk would drive. Which wouldn't make him blameless. He's still criminally and morally guilty. But a one off where both knew the risks isn't the same degree of moral culpability as being a habitual wet reckless driver. Then there's the fact that he lost his wife. Maybe that and a couple years prison is bad enough. Unless he really is a chronic reckless drunk, which is quite possible, and then I agree the earth would not mourn his passing, nor would I.
I really can't extend him any sympathy for losing his wife since it was directly his own fault. But you do make a good point about judging him for one act, even one as horrendous and inexcusable as this.

If he killed someone due to gross negligence, then yes.... The doctor would lose their license, be charged with murder/manslaughter, and would be sued for everything they own

What I find most interesting about these cases is that we apparently have millions laying around to pay in lawsuits, but nothing to screen and train cops with.
Good point. Cops have to be willing to run toward the danger - Columbine certainly showed us this - but that is hardly the only necessary qualification. The military (I know the Marines, but I believe Army as well) go through some intense training in crowd control and restraint before being deployed in a potentially hostile situation. Police officers should go through the same type of training, to weed out those who can't keep their tempers or who panic and/or make bad decisions before it is real bullets and real lives.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
Two wrongs don't make a right, unfortunately a lot of these law enforcement think it does. Since what the guy did, ejecting his wife from the car who died at the scene, was so horrendous, I guess it's a bit akin to jury nullification... I guess if they are going to practice this, they should tell juries about it at the same time....

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Looks like the correct decision...

- Merg

I agree. It SHOULD be 2nd degree murder, but everyone knows that convicting a cop of murder while on duty is next to impossible. Manslaughter is the next best they can do. I'm curious to see how the DA intentionally blows this case or how the judge throws out the case because the charges were too much/too little. It should be interesting to watch.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

good.

pity he is going to get off. What seals the deal for me is hte fucker hid it for 11 minutes. I have no doubt it was a accident by a person who should NOT be a police officer.

IF he would have called it in right then and got the help the guy needed I would have even been fine with just him being fired.

but hiding it and a shitty attempt to cover it up? fuck him. he deserves some jail time.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
I agree. It SHOULD be 2nd degree murder, but everyone knows that convicting a cop of murder while on duty is next to impossible. Manslaughter is the next best they can do. I'm curious to see how the DA intentionally blows this case or how the judge throws out the case because the charges were too much/too little. It should be interesting to watch.

This appears to be a textbook manslaughter case. In the article, it details out exactly what is required for it to be manslaughter and this fits the bill to the tee. While he tried to cover it up is reprehensible, that doesn't change the facts of the shooting itself.

- Merg

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
good.

pity he is going to get off. What seals the deal for me is hte fucker hid it for 11 minutes. I have no doubt it was a accident by a person who should NOT be a police officer.

IF he would have called it in right then and got the help the guy needed I would have even been fine with just him being fired.

but hiding it and a shitty attempt to cover it up? fuck him. he deserves some jail time.

Definitely an accident in watching the video. Reprehensible that he tried to cover it up.

However, there is no evidence that he is going to get off. The explanation from the DA as to why it is manslaughter is very clear and fits this situation. And it takes away the idea that it was an accident as an excuse.

- Merg

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
He was already guilty of fleeing a crime scene. Still the police are limited by the use of the appropriate force rules. You could say the police thought he was fleeing the scene of a crime. One thing about this, is they do not show the people that this guy ran into and killed or whatever. It is out of context.

I refuse to take the side of a drunk driver and possible drug addict. He was a menace on the public roadways.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Well I'm glad that he got convicted of something but how in the hell he didn't get all kinds of conspiracy charges thrown at him, like the rest of us would, I have no clue...

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
He won't do time. Hell, a NYC cop fired his pistol and killed a guy who was not even a suspect and the cop got charged and did no time at all.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Why yes,

Americans don't want this
Andy-Griffith-Show-480x270.jpg

Instead they want this,

th

But they get this....
the-andy-griffith-show-barney.jpg