Cop shoots DUI suspect after crash, DA won't charge cop

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
EDIT: I Made a mistake, the man survived, per Londo's post below. Sorry, I could have sworn I read he died. Is there a way to edit a title?

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/12/16/cop-dui-suspect-shooting-california-orig-vstan.cnn

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/mistakenly-shot-suspect-not-charged-article-1.2464035

Perhaps our cop experts can explain this one. Cop chases DUI suspect, who crashes his car badly. Car is on it's side, cop gets out of his cruiser, while the DUI driver is trying to climb out of the side window (which is facing up since the car is on the side).

Cop draws his weapon and fires one shot right away, the man drops back into the car. He holsters his weapon, and looks into the car.

Doesn't report the shooting when backup arrives, and waits 11 minutes before mentioning he shot him. He claims it was an "accidental discharge". DA backs him up and says no charges filed.

When Feaster’s backup arrived, the officer did not mention anything about having fired his weapon.

According to Ramsey, Feaster notified his commanding officer about the discharge only after Thomas’ gunshot wound was found, approximately 11 minutes later.

Anyone want to look at the video and claim is was accidental? And anyway, so what? He is still responsible for his actions right?

Yet another cop getting away with murder even with it clearly recorded on video.

Hey, just another bad apple right? No systemic cop abuse and collusion right? Not like this happens all the time, with cops murdering people and getting away with it.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
wow that is a pretty fucked up video. he probably shot him because he was just enraged with the whole incident. not excusing it by any means, just saying why he probably did it. what a pile of shit, that is flat out attempted murder.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
WTH? The U.S. police now has the license to kill anyone, anytime at will, under any circumstances?

Th DUI driver should be behind bars, but kill him on the spot? Are you Batman?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I like how we can get full color 1080p/4k dash came vids out of Russia but our cops use cameras from the 1950s

and they cop needs to be in jail he flat out just killed that dude

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yep, I've never heard of a dead man being charged with manslaughter.

Someone has to go to all lengths to go after cops including being dishonest while doing so.

Crap, sorry. I edited my OP, don't know of a way to edit the title.

Could have sworn I saw somewhere he died.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Go to the main page where threads are listed, double click on the title of your thread, it should let you rename.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
So, if it was not an accidental discharge the cop was definitely in the wrong, but OP your headline is absurd. First, the asshole wasn't killed, he was shot. Second, "DUI crash victim?" The guy was driving drunk, ran from the cops and killed his wife in the process when he flipped his car. What the hell?

Reactions: bshole

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Go to the main page where threads are listed, double click on the title of your thread, it should let you rename.

I tried double clicking, but it briefly shows up to edit, but then loads the thread page so I don't have time to edit.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
So, if it was not an accidental discharge the cop was definitely in the wrong, but OP your headline is absurd. First, the asshole wasn't killed, he was shot. Second, "DUI crash victim?" The guy was driving drunk, ran from the cops and killed his wife in the process when he flipped his car. What the hell?

I posted I made a mistake in that he survived.

First off, he is a DUI crash victim....he ran from the cops and crashed his car. Do you disagree with that?

WTH is wrong with you? Cops outright shot him and left him there. And then didn't mention he shot him for over 10minutes, and only after they found a bullet wound.

What justification would the cop have for shooting him? Speak up and let us all know.

You and both of the articles you linked called him a DUI suspect, so I went with that.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
GarfieldtheCat said:
I posted I made a mistake in that he survived.

First off, he is a DUI crash victim....he ran from the cops and crashed his car. Do you disagree with that?

It is very misleading. His wife is a DUI crash victim, he is the cause of the DUI crash. He is no more a victim than a mugger is a victim when he's injured by the person that he's mugging. Your title makes it sound like the cop shot someone that was hit by a drunk driver.

I know exactly why you phrased it that way, and it's not necessary. No one (unless they are trying to harm someone else) deserves to be shot like that, you don't need to downplay what a piece of shit that guy was to make your point.

GarfieldtheCat said:
WTH is wrong with you? Cops outright shot him and left him there. And then didn't mention he shot him for over 10minutes, and only after they found a bullet wound.

What justification would the cop have for shooting him? Speak up and let us all know.

Why would you ask me those questions?

if it was not an accidental discharge the cop was definitely in the wrong,

You understand what that means correct?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I like how we can get full color 1080p/4k dash came vids out of Russia but our cops use cameras from the 1950s

and they cop needs to be in jail he flat out just killed that dude

Government purchasing and contracts. The police probably paid $30,000 for each dash cam. And why would police departments want 4k video of them murdering people? Much easier to justify a killing by saying "well you could not see the object due to the blurry video."

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
That is pretty messed up. I may have about as low of an opinion as you can get for people who commit DUIs, but that cop is just as bad. He should be going to jail right along with the driver of the car.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
WTH? The U.S. police now has the license to kill anyone, anytime at will, under any circumstances?

Th DUI driver should be behind bars, but kill him on the spot? Are you Batman?

Why yes,

Americans don't want this
Andy-Griffith-Show-480x270.jpg

Instead they want this,

th

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Government purchasing and contracts. The police probably paid $30,000 for each dash cam. And why would police departments want 4k video of them murdering people? Much easier to justify a killing by saying "well you could not see the object due to the blurry video."

Speaking for our City, it's not the Cameras that cost a ton of money, it's the storage. When you have to record hours upon days of that footage, we're talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars. Everyone here clamored for it, but when we presented the quote we got from 3 different companies for storage, not a single person voted for any of them.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Wow, that was messed up. Pulled it, fired from 8-10ft away without pause, and then strutted up to the car. This guy needs to be off the force and in cuffs. Driver is a piece of shit, but that was Judge Dredd right there, but even Judge Dredd gave them a chance to give their side of the story.

WTF is with this accidental crap being a free pass to shoot people? If I accidentally discharge my weapon and hit someone then I'm screwed, but cop gets nothing.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
It looked to me like an accidental discharge caused by bad trigger discipline. Certainly I'd agree there was not justification for shooting the suspect under the circumstances, but this looked like an accident to me. I don't think this moron should be a cop anymore, and would have no problem with his being charged for criminal negligence. I am particularly troubled that he didn't tell anyone he had fired the shot - it speaks to his terrible judgment all around.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
It looked to me like an accidental discharge caused by bad trigger discipline. Certainly I'd agree there was not justification for shooting the suspect under the circumstances, but this looked like an accident to me. I don't think this moron should be a cop anymore, and would have no problem with his being charged for criminal negligence. I am particularly troubled that he didn't tell anyone he had fired the shot - it speaks to his terrible judgment all around.

I know the article said it was a single accidental discharge, but looking at the video it really looks like there were two shots. I can understand a single accidental discharge but two shots? Not sure if I should believe the article or the video...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Speaking for our City, it's not the Cameras that cost a ton of money, it's the storage. When you have to record hours upon days of that footage, we're talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars. Everyone here clamored for it, but when we presented the quote we got from 3 different companies for storage, not a single person voted for any of them.

cause the government is flat out retarded. they simply settle with the cheapest shit up front but in the long run it costs them way more than it would had they just fronted the cash initially for the correct solution. i've been working in the sector for a while now and it's just crazy how incompetent our government is and how much money they waste.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
cause the government is flat out retarded. they simply settle with the cheapest shit up front but in the long run it costs them way more than it would had they just fronted the cash initially for the correct solution. i've been working in the sector for a while now and it's just crazy how incompetent our government is and how much money they waste.

Nail on the fucking head.