Cop pulled me over for failing to stop for school bus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: her209
Why the hell would kids be crossing a street when there are 4 lanes of traffic, a 4 foot median, and no crosswalk?

To get to the other side?

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: aplefka
Great diagram, I love the GTA cars. You were in the right, don't worry.

No, he wasn't. The bus stopped at an intersection where people can cross the road. The people exiting the bus have the right of way, and they're able to cross at that crosswalk.

Summed up clearly, and accurately.

Now go get your eyes tested if you can't see a school bus until you're 50 feet away from it.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

No, he wasn't. The bus stopped at an intersection where people can cross the road. The people exiting the bus have the right of way, and they're able to cross at that crosswalk.

In all the years I've ever seen buses (which is quite often, there are three that stop in my daily trip on the way home), I've NEVER seen any kid walk across the street they're getting dropped off at, much less on the ones that are on the major streets.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

In all the years I've ever seen buses (which is quite often, there are three that stop in my daily trip on the way home), I've NEVER seen any kid walk across the street they're getting dropped off at, much less on the ones that are on the major streets.

You've never seen those pieces of wire that extend on the front of a bus that tells kids the safe distance to walk in front when crossing the street, so the bus driver can actually see them?

Kids cross in front of the bus when getting dropped off all the time.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
I was once right next to a bus, going in the same direction, both doing around 45 (the limit) when it put its OMGWTFK1DZ lights on to signal that it was going to stop. I kept going, obviously. Some mom-looking bitch going the other way gave me the finger out her window and was yelling something in a typical high pitched naggy bitch voice. Was pretty funny :D Not sure what she wanted me to do, stop along with it? :confused:

BillyBatson

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
awesome diagram!
i don't think you had to stop being as it was ont he opposite sife of the road seperated by a median that doesn't even have a walkway! what were the kids goign to do cross in front of the buss run across the 1 open lane then dive through the bushes to run across 2 more oncoming lanes where you then run them over?!
i think the cop stopped and felt stupid and had to make it look like he stopped for a reason
jeez looking again, awesome diagram! i especially love the swurve lines fromt he cop braking haha

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Check the laws from your state.

Base Federal Vehicl Code
UVC 11-705(c) The driver of a vehicle upon a highway with separate roadways need not stop upon meeting or passing a school bus which is on a different roadway or when upon a controlled-access highway and the school bus is stopped in a loading zone which is a part of or adjacent to such highway and where pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway.
Some places require traffic to stop for a school bus on a different roadway of a divided highway. They are Alabama and West Virginia in case of non-controlled-access highway, Arkansas in case of a divider < 20 feet (6 m) in width, and Mississippi, New York, American Samoa, Guam, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Northwest Territories and Nunavut. Oncoming traffic need not stop for a stopped school bus on an undivided highway with = 3 lanes in Washington, 4 lanes in California, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio and South Dakota, or 5 lanes in North Carolina and Utah.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Because there was an intersection the cop said it wasn't a median? What a d*ck! The cop obviously doesn't know his regulations very well.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ

You've never seen those pieces of wire that extend on the front of a bus that tells kids the safe distance to walk in front when crossing the street, so the bus driver can actually see them?

Kids cross in front of the bus when getting dropped off all the time.

Nope, guess not. I've never seen a kid crossing the street and we pass about 5 different stops and see probably 3 buses a day. Two of them are on major roads and people always stop, but none of the kids EVER cross the street. If they live on the other side of the street then the bus makes a stop over there first.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

Nope, guess not. I've never seen a kid crossing the street and we pass about 5 different stops and see probably 3 buses a day. Two of them are on major roads and people always stop, but none of the kids EVER cross the street. If they live on the other side of the street then the bus makes a stop over there first.

You may not be seeing kids cross the street at the same time the bus is there. Wouldn't surprise me if most kids, as well as the bus drivers, prefer the kids get off onto the sidewalk and let the bus go before crossing. That doesn't mean they can't cross when the bus is there though or that you shouldn't stop.

Being one who road a bus to school K-5 I had to cross the road every day. Sometimes I crossed in front of the bus, sometimes I let it go. When I was 8 years old I wasn't thinking too much what other drivers were expecting.

Having being a bus kid maybe I have a bias in favor of the bus and kids. I sure don't ever want to even come close to hitting a kid so when in doubt I stop. I usually hit my flashers too since I don't want to get rear ended by someone not expecting a stopped car in an unusual spot.

Mokmo418

Jul 13, 2004
Passing a bus with its red lights on is a 9 point ticket in my area
he only infraction that carry that much points are driving 60 mph over limit and failing to assist a person in danger
But these two usually end up in criminal court.

He had nothing on him. Waste of your time, waste of cop's paid time...

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Enforcing that rule for your situation is like enforcing the rule in NY that you have to honk your horn before pulling out of your garage in reverse (waking up the entire neighborhood in the process mind you).

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiamat
Enforcing that rule for your situation is like enforcing the rule in NY that you have to honk your horn before pulling out of your garage in reverse (waking up the entire neighborhood in the process mind you).

Ha. In Driver's Ed we were taught to honk the horn before passing another vehicle. In addition we were to inform the passengers "I am now going to pass another vehicle" so they wouldn't talk and distract the driver during this more dangerous time in driving.

Yeah, there are plenty of stupid laws/regulations/suggestions.

wbresson

Mar 24, 2002
personally I would have stopped because of the intersection, but you do get bonus points for the nice diagram

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That's a tough call.

Technically I believe the cop was correct (but its a stretch) and probably just wanted to make sure you were mindful of school buses. I mean really...you've got little kids getting on/off them.

You didn't get a ticket and hopefully will be more careful around schoold buses.

I woulda stopped.

Always err on the side of caution with school buses.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Holy sh*t that diagram is sweet.

anyway I guess it's a hard call. He was probably bored, but he didn't give you a ticket which is great!
Ha. In Driver's Ed we were taught to honk the horn before passing another vehicle. In addition we were to inform the passengers "I am now going to pass another vehicle" so they wouldn't talk and distract the driver during this more dangerous time in driving.

Yeah, there are plenty of stupid laws/regulations/suggestions.
Yeah I've heard the "honk when passing". Total insane. If you are not aware of vehicles pulling up beside you and need a horn to alert you to the fact, stop driving!

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
We had this example in the AAA defensive driving class I took. The instructor said that we are supposed to stop in these instances, even if there's a divider.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGoodGuy
your clear, go fight it.

Yup, go ruin an entire day in court because of some ahole cop filling his quota

*nevremind, he didn't give you a ticket