Cool singleplayer game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adam8281

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
STALKER, also GTA IV. Sure, it has a multiplayer mode, but I still consider it primarily a single player game.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
not new, but Condemned Criminal Origins is crazy good! One of the best game I've played since maybe HL2. Might be a bit too gory for some, but I loved it. The story was pretty decent, graphics and sound were great and it had some damn scary moments. Can't wait for the sequel to hit the PCs.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Give STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl a go, but be sure you have it patched up and have the Oblivion Lost mod installed. It was worth the $5 that I payed on steam for it, but that deal is over... for now.

+1, after you finish, try Clear Sky with Faction Commander mod, it changes every area into a war zone, you can alter the spawning rates for mutants and they will clear entire maps, you have assistants you can send to do the job for you,etc.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Also an older good game with a nice story would be Beyond Good and Evil :) There was a promo on Steam and I grabbed it. Man, I hate (love :D) Steam so much...

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Started replaying Max Payne I and II. Don't know why, but I got re-hooked into it.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Oyeve
Started replaying Max Payne I and II. Don't know why, but I got re-hooked into it.

Yes, this happened to me as well recently. I finished playing MP2 again. Infact ended up heading to moddb and downloaded some good mods which have been released. Brilliant game this.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I'm having a lot of fun with Witcher: Enhanced Addition. It seems that many of the criticisms of the game were cleared up in this revised addition.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: lifeobry
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
last single player game campaign I thoroughly enjoyed was COD4 or the repeat runthrough of Chronicles of Riddick.

Riddick is fun

Hell yes, if anyone hasent played this you need to! Its got everything that makes a good game, monsters, characters, interaction, interesting environments, and even some cool vehicles. Plus you can stab people with a screwdriver.... stab people, with a screwdriver! It has it all.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I'm really enjoying Aquaria - it's an indie title off Steam, very cheap. It's got a lot of oldschool Metroid-style huge world exploration gameplay, except underwater and minus the tense evil alien theme.

Can't go wrong for $20, really.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24420/

Also, World of Goo was a lot of fun, and is also very cheap on Steam. That's more of a puzzle-type game. REALLY worth the money, just to reward the developers for such ingenuity.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: SMOGZINN
Originally posted by: Pelu
Sup... I was wondering what is cool recently for single player gaming... i tryed fallout, oblivion but is a bit old... and mirrors edge, and deadspace...

I just started Titan Quest + Immortal Throne expansion and I am enjoying it. It looks like it is going the be a LONG game, I'm been playing a few hours a night for 2 weeks now and I'm still in chapter 1.

YEP, great games indeed, I got bored one month of Fallout and went back to Titan Quest and rolled a new character. Shame the company went down.

I also recommend the single campaign of Company of Heroes and expansion. Great times.

Another vote for Alien vs. Predetor. Great single player (especially as aliens!)

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Originally posted by: DannyLove
Originally posted by: SMOGZINN
Originally posted by: Pelu
Sup... I was wondering what is cool recently for single player gaming... i tryed fallout, oblivion but is a bit old... and mirrors edge, and deadspace...

I just started Titan Quest + Immortal Throne expansion and I am enjoying it. It looks like it is going the be a LONG game, I'm been playing a few hours a night for 2 weeks now and I'm still in chapter 1.

YEP, great games indeed, I got bored one month of Fallout and went back to Titan Quest and rolled a new character. Shame the company went down.

I also recommend the single campaign of Company of Heroes and expansion. Great times.

Another vote for Alien vs. Predetor. Great single player (especially as aliens!)

That too, the aliens campaign is one of the best fps I've played. If you want more adrenalin try Primal Hunt too.There are many great old games, it's too bad the graphics make them sort of unplayable right now. We should have remakes, just like for the old movies, I, for one wouldn't mind picking them again.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Originally posted by: lifeobry
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
last single player game campaign I thoroughly enjoyed was COD4 or the repeat runthrough of Chronicles of Riddick.

Riddick is fun

Seconded.

Stalker was amazing, but you NEED to patch the hell out of it. I loved the realism and atmosphere that gave off more than most games. (Other than Operation Flashpoint, but thats 8+ years old). Give Clear Sky a go too, if you like semi realistic stuff. (Bleed to death, poor accuracy with poor guns, bullet drop, etc etc).

Max Payne 2 was fun as well. You can't beat bullet time for anything. Download the Cinematic mod after you beat it. :)

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
There's Lost Planet on Steam for 5? this weekend only, you might want to give it a go. I enjoyed the game (for the most part).

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: TehMac
Empire Total War will be a massive single player game when it comes out. Even people who didn't like strat games that much reviewed this game and thought it was pretty addicting.

I didn't enjoy it that much. I just though the ground forces was really slow for my liking. The sea warfare was great but the ground Napoleonic type was just too slow for me. I tried the demo so my little review is from there.

You know, that particular battle is from a historical battle--there's no guarantee any of your battles are going to be like that.

So far, all PC Gaming sites are lauding it as a "The Champion of PC Gamer."

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
NOLF2, FEAR, Hitman series. Riddick as mentioned is truly a great FPS. NWN, Dungeon Siege II, Fable.