Convince me that I don't want a Golf GTI

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
For some reason, I've decided that I want to replace my car, and I've decided that it will be a Golf GTI. I don't know where this came from...perhaps from the more recent seasons of the Grand Tour and their various hot hatch tests, including the most recent episode with the (euro only) Polo GTI (it's mushroom!).

For a while now, I've decided that my replacement car will be a Focus ST, but since that is no longer being made in the US and I've discovered, unsurprisingly, that much of the local stock of the final year 2018 STs has completely disappeared, that is no longer an option...especially because my replacement plan is (was?) still 5+ years out. (holy crap--the euro-only 2019 ST is looking effing bonkers! what the hell, Ford? :mad:)

Anyway, I've caught the bug for some reason and I don't know why. It usually cures itself after 2 or so days of rational thinking. My current human transport box is a 2008 Mazda 3i sedan--the most standard of box-shaped transport tools. And, I love this car. I've had it for 10 years now (bought used @28k miles) and it still only has 66k miles. So, I'm not a heavy driver. That total includes one 3.5k trip across the country, so I'm actually closer to 3k miles per year. The plan when I purchased that car, which wasn't planned because it was the result of some person plowing into the back of my GF's car at the time, was to get something that drives for 20 or so years, 200k miles, and/or till rust do us part. This thing costs me maybe $100/month total to run (meaning $80 in insurance/registration).

I don't need a new car. I can afford one, even somewhat responsibly and most normal Americans would just go out and buy one because I find that "normal Americans" have car loans for some reason...it just means less of the savings that I want to put aside...but I think I want a GTI. I think the necessary and desired end to the human-driven vehicle (can't come soon enough, imo) is nigh, and I'm starting to think that I want to grab something fun and experience it for a little while before the robots take over. That is what my brain tells me. ...but of course, living in the DCMA, there is essentially zero surface anywhere near me to take advantage of a Golf GTI. At least, it's about 1.5 hours in any direction of traffic to find some open road. But, that doesn't matter. My brain is not thinking anymore. My brain says that I want a 2018-2019 (newish) SE or Autobahn (depending on deal) Golf GTI, and I've decided that the DSG auto makes the most sense for my 98% traffic reality.

Please convince me that VWs are terrible to own, especially the GTI, as I have only ever owned Hondas, a Toyota, and this Mazda. Help to sway me that I am better-served spending ~$2.5 on wiring, new dekton counters, and self-replaced hardwood floors for my kitchen than I am on spending ~$22-27k for a new GTI that I absolutely don't need.

Please, someone stop me!

-----------

Update for massive failure

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓───▓▓▓──▓▓▓──────▓▓▓──▓▓▓▓▓
▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓──▓─▓▓──▓▓──▓▓▓▓──▓▓──▓▓▓▓▓
▓████▓▓▓▓──▓▓─▓──▓▓──▓▓▓▓──▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓█▓███▓▓▓──▓▓▓───▓▓▓──────▓▓▓──▓▓▓▓▓
▓█▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓█▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓
▓█▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓
▓█▓▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓█▓
▓██████████████████████▓▓▓█████▓▓▓█▓
▓████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▓▓▓▓██▓
█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████▓▓
█░░░████████░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░█████▓▓
█░░█████████░░░░█████░░░░░░░░░███▓▓▓
█░██▒███████░░░███████████░░░░░██▓▓▓
█░█▒▒▒███▒██░░░██▒▒█████████░░░█▓▓▓▓
█░██▒▒▒▒▒▒██░░░█▒▒▒▒████▒▒▒██░░█▓▓▓▓
█░███▒▒████░░░░█▒▒▒▒███▒▒▒▒▒██░█▓▓▓▓
█░██████░░░░░░██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒███░░█▓▓▓▓
█░██░░░░░███░░███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒███░░░█▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░█████░░░░████▒▒▒▒████░░░░█▓▓▓▓
█░░░░██░░░██░░░███████████░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░██░░░░░██░░░████████░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░█░░░░░░░██░░░░███░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Reactions: highland145

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
A couple years ago, I sold my beat 2003 330i for $1500 because, similarly to you, I decided I wanted an awesome cool guy ~2015 $22000 Subaru WRX hatch. I lasted about three months in it before I decided I hated the car payment and didn't really like the car any better than my old BMW -- in fact it was worse in many ways. I sold it for $20000 and bought a 2004 BMW 330xi for under $5k cash, this time with the 6 speed manual and in a different color so it felt like I changed something.

Don't be like me

On the other hand, it definitely makes sense to drive a cool fun car while you still can if it appeals to you, so you might as well go for it.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
For some reason, I've decided that I want to replace my car, and I've decided that it will be a Golf GTI. I don't know where this came from...perhaps from the more recent seasons of the Grand Tour and their various hot hatch tests, including the most recent episode with the (euro only) Polo GTI (it's mushroom!).

For a while now, I've decided that my replacement car will be a Focus ST, but since that is no longer being made in the US and I've discovered, unsurprisingly, that much of the local stock of the final year 2018 STs has completely disappeared, that is no longer an option...especially because my replacement plan is (was?) still 5+ years out. (holy crap--the euro-only 2019 ST is looking effing bonkers! what the hell, Ford? :mad:)

Anyway, I've caught the bug for some reason and I don't know why. It usually cures itself after 2 or so days of rational thinking. My current human transport box is a 2008 Mazda 3i sedan--the most standard of box-shaped transport tools. And, I love this car. I've had it for 10 years now (bought used @28k miles) and it still only has 66k miles. So, I'm not a heavy driver. That total includes one 3.5k trip across the country, so I'm actually closer to 3k miles per year. The plan when I purchased that car, which wasn't planned because it was the result of some person plowing into the back of my GF's car at the time, was to get something that drives for 20 or so years, 200k miles, and/or till rust do us part. This thing costs me maybe $100/month total to run (meaning $80 in insurance/registration).

I don't need a new car. I can afford one, even somewhat responsibly and most normal Americans would just go out and buy one because I find that "normal Americans" have car loans for some reason...it just means less of the savings that I want to put aside...but I think I want a GTI. I think the necessary and desired end to the human-driven vehicle (can't come soon enough, imo) is nigh, and I'm starting to think that I want to grab something fun and experience it for a little while before the robots take over. That is what my brain tells me. ...but of course, living in the DCMA, there is essentially zero surface anywhere near me to take advantage of a Golf GTI. At least, it's about 1.5 hours in any direction of traffic to find some open road. But, that doesn't matter. My brain is not thinking anymore. My brain says that I want a 2018-2019 (newish) SE or Autobahn (depending on deal) Golf GTI, and I've decided that the DSG auto makes the most sense for my 98% traffic reality.

Please convince me that VWs are terrible to own, especially the GTI, as I have only ever owned Hondas, a Toyota, and this Mazda. Help to sway me that I am better-served spending ~$2.5 on wiring, new dekton counters, and self-replaced hardwood floors for my kitchen than I am on spending ~$22-27k for a new GTI that I absolutely don't need.

Please, someone stop me!
Consumer Reports only rates the reliability 2/5, but if you buy it new, you get a fantastic 6 year/72K bumper to bumper warranty.

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
I mean, since you drive so little, I don't think it makes sense for you to get a new car. It would make more sense for you to rent a GTI (or whatever car you want to try) once every few weekends when you want to make a nice long trip. You'd probably it enjoy way more and is probably much cheaper than having to eat the depreciation/maintenance cost (most european cars lose their value real quick).

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Consumer Reports only rates the reliability 2/5, but if you buy it new, you get a fantastic 6 year/72K bumper to bumper warranty.

Makes you really wonder about those cars (if any) whose reliability is rated 1/5.

The warranty is nice (would work out to a two year warranty for me) but you could still have your new car spending a lot of time in the shop.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The warranty is nice

Only if you know that it's worth a shit, ie. they'll honour the warranty in good faith.

My brother bought a used Audi. It has a problem whereby every approx. 6 months it has guzzled all the engine oil. It's a known problem with that model. Audi refuse to honour the warranty because it doesn't have a full service history. I could understand it if the lack of full service history became relevant by Audi finding that at least part of the reason for the problem in that particular Audi is because it hasn't been properly maintained, but nope, they started out with the refusal.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I mean, since you drive so little, I don't think it makes sense for you to get a new car. It would make more sense for you to rent a GTI (or whatever car you want to try) once every few weekends when you want to make a nice long trip. You'd probably it enjoy way more and is probably much cheaper than having to eat the depreciation/maintenance cost (most european cars lose their value real quick).

I've actually been thinking about this because if anything, it will give me more familiarity with either the manual or the DSG and if I still like the car some years later, I'll know better what to look for, what features I don't really need or feel that are missing....and of course, I had the idea of doing some test drives to "fix" the current need, but of course I know that's a terrible idea.

As a rule, I don't buy new. I look for .5-1 year old cars with low mileage, in warranty, that have already consumed the brunt of their depreciation.

VW lied about diesel emissions on an industrial scale, they're not trustworthy.

Indeed. But I also don't want some crappy diesel car. :D

The funny thing is that it seems with their DSG in the last couple of years, their rated hp seems a bit under-reported (well--it just doesn't tellt he whole story), because those versions are winning 0-60 times and sprints in their class against lighter machines with +~70 or so hp advantage. It's really quite impressive.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Please, someone stop me!

You barely drive yet you want a DSG for traffic?
This post has been noted on your record...

In all seriousness,
You have a low mileage car that gets the job done and you want to toss 30K at a car you will barely use. 30K that should go to actual things of value.

Say me who goes through the same thought process every 4 months. Now that I'm year 11 with my car, its happening more and more. I at least have a plan. When my oldest gets his learners permit in 3-4 years, he also gets my 02 Camry and will be the only kid in his group of friends who can drive manual.

Is a GTI a good use of 30K?
Nope.
Is it a smart decisions when you have a trusty steed in your driveway?
Nope.
Is a GTI a good car to keep over the long haul?
Nope.
Is the DSG all that everyone says it is?
In the end...its just an automatic. Get in the car. Hit gas and brake. Car does the rest. the radio will drown out all the noise and the schtick of pointing out the shifts to passenger gets old in 5 minutes when they say "So what?",
Is a GTI a nice place to be and good car to drive.
Absolutely.

Great car for Lease addicts.
If you do end up buying one, I'm looking forward to your post in 2025 when you say you will never buy another VW ever again.

(disclaimer - I've been on the VW build your own site at least 6 times over the past couple of months)

(diclaimer #2 - ....after typing all this crap...I now have another tab open for VW .com )

Feb 25, 2011
I can't fit 8-10ft lumber in a Veloster, like I could with a Golf and as I currently do with my Mazda3.

Are you sure? The rear seats fold, so wouldn't it just lie front to back, between the front seats? (I've done that with a Focus and an Accord.) Or is it just not long enough a car?

Also, after some emergency garage door repairs this winter, and getting a table saw and doing some larger-scale woodworking, I'm very much a convert to the First International Church of Roof Racks. Just saying.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You barely drive yet you want a DSG for traffic?
This post has been noted on your record...

In all seriousness,
You have a low mileage car that gets the job done and you want to toss 30K at a car you will barely use. 30K that should go to actual things of value.

Say me who goes through the same thought process every 4 months. Now that I'm year 11 with my car, its happening more and more. I at least have a plan. When my oldest gets his learners permit in 3-4 years, he also gets my 02 Camry and will be the only kid in his group of friends who can drive manual.

Is a GTI a good use of 30K?
Nope.
Is it a smart decisions when you have a trusty steed in your driveway?
Nope.
Is a GTI a good car to keep over the long haul?
Nope.
Is the DSG all that everyone says it is?
In the end...its just an automatic. Get in the car. Hit gas and brake. Car does the rest. the radio will drown out all the noise and the schtick of pointing out the shifts to passenger gets old in 5 minutes when they say "So what?",
Is a GTI a nice place to be and good car to drive.
Absolutely.

Great car for Lease addicts.
If you do end up buying one, I'm looking forward to your post in 2025 when you say you will never buy another VW ever again.

(disclaimer - I've been on the VW build your own site at least 6 times over the past couple of months)

(diclaimer #2 - ....after typing all this crap...I now have another tab open for VW .com )

..it's like you're totally inside my head, man!

There are actually deals around me now for 2018-2019, low mileage (1k-14k) used-to-new SE trims at ~$23-25k, so that's a pretty good chunk off the fake MSRP. But yeah, you're pretty much nailing all the cons that I have swimming around but that's the problem--I'm not listening to myself.

Edit: I mean, look at this: here's a listing for a new Autobahn trim for under $27k. That's nuts--I guess the end of the month approaches? I don't really want the plaid seats (not into tradition--but they are kinda growing on me. I just want to go back to leather for my next car) and don't really want the white...but damn that price.

DSG for traffic so that I can set full auto and forget about it (I did drive a manual for about 4 years way back when and loved it, but it sucks in traffic. It would suck even more now that my traffic experience is at least 600% worse than it was when I was in school, where I was living at the time), and switch over to the paddles (I honestly don't like the idea behind paddles and pretending to be some F1 driver) where there is room to drive. ...and yes, I certainly understand that I would forget about all of it within a few months and almost never use them anyway.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Are you sure? The rear seats fold, so wouldn't it just lie front to back, between the front seats? (I've done that with a Focus and an Accord.) Or is it just not long enough a car?

Also, after some emergency garage door repairs this winter, and getting a table saw and doing some larger-scale woodworking, I'm very much a convert to the First International Church of Roof Racks. Just saying.

The Veloster's are very short, aren't they? I know that I can shove at least 8 planks, up to, I think 10ft (maybe 12, depending on number of planks and ability to utilize maximum distance) in my 4dr Mazda 3, where the rear seats don't completely fold down flat....these have to go right up to the windshield, but that's fine. I don't need to make long trips with those.

But I did briefly think about picking up a beater pick-up truck for a few grand for just those purposes (the times when I actually need to pick up a new water heater, furnace, radiators, shingles for two roofs, whatever....) but the additional insurance/registration really doesn't make sense for that. I'm better off renting from Uhaul or Lowes or wherever for the weekend.

roof rack...I don't know. I did consider building a trailer out of ladders that I can attach to my car...or a bike that I will never drive, just like Mr Money Mustache (well, no, I actually never considered that)

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/06/23/how-to-carry-major-appliances-on-your-bike/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hey you know that 'gig' company that lets you rent regular people's cars?

Why not find a matching gen GTI and pay for a week or so? Hopefully it would be enough time for you to feel confidently about the decision one way or the other.

Personally I haven't had great experiences with VAG (lol), but if you like something you like it.

Feb 25, 2011
Hey you know that 'gig' company that lets you rent regular people's cars?

Why not find a matching gen GTI and pay for a week or so? Hopefully it would be enough time for you to feel confidently about the decision one way or the other.

Personally I haven't had great experiences with VAG (lol), but if you like something you like it.

Turo

Reactions: Arkaign
May 13, 2009
I love the gti. I'd heard they were awesome cars but never really cared until I test drive one on a whim. I was giddy driving it around. I ended up with a camry. Boring, reliable, more comfortable. Smart adult decision. Fml.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
man, half you guys aren't really helping. So far, the clothing-challenged frog is the only one that has offered a compelling and honest argument against this terrible decision.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
man, half you guys aren't really helping. So far, the clothing-challenged frog is the only one that has offered a compelling and honest argument against this terrible decision.

You and I have been around these parts for a long time brother. I know you're not stupid, quite the opposite in fact.

The entire idea of buying a new car is usually fairly dumb to one degree or another by a purely logical basis, all the more so when talking about a VW that has mediocre to poor reliability vs the standard bearer typicals (Camry, Civic, Accord, etc), not noteworthy fuel economy, the styling of a shoe, and which will be worth a tiny fraction of the it's MSRP within a few years.

Given that you also already have a reliable and competent vehicle, I can only assume that the decision would be more on the emotional/feels angle of the scale, where the 'new car' vibe and particular fun factor of this model speaks to you in some way. I can't put a price on that for you. If you were my son I might say 'grow up', get something really practical and economically logical, and wait for a toy down the road. But life is not infinite, if it brings you joy, then I can't logically or reasonably say you shouldn't do it, even if personally I'd sooner buy a Kia than a veedub or Audi.

If you have the financial comfort level and really want it, well, why not. If you think you might second guess and regret it, keep on with the mazzy. Either way, best to you.

Reactions: dave_the_nerd