Contagion spreading among the vaccinated

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How old are your kids? Do you know what their risk of dying from Covid19 is? Serious questions.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the IFR for people 0-18 years of age somewhere around 0.0025%? That's 1 in 40 thousand. There are about 80 million US residents in the 0-19 age bracket. Even if we assume NONE of them have been infected and ALL of them are still at risk, that's 2000 deaths. Just to put that in perspective, per the CDC:

Injury is the leading cause of death in children and young adults. According to the CDC, approximately 12,000 children and young adults, ages 1 to 19 years, die from unintentional injuries each year. Falls are the leading cause of nonfatal injury for children.
Almost 7 and 9. I'm sure the people who have lost kids to this disease are comforted by the very low risk.

Reactions: Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
So I have been involved in sales processes for a long time. I see psychology and human emotions differently than most posters here.
I should have been smart enough to know this last year and I am disappointed I wasn’t.
People are strange about “purchases” when I say purchase I mean someone taking the time and effort to get vaccinated not a physical payment.
People are complicated and many are fearful. They don’t want to endure discomfort or pain. Again this isn’t always a physical pain or discomfort or even extreme. In the vaccination sense it is likely a combination of things such as:
Going where ever to get vaccinated
Knowing it made my friends feel sick the next day
Waiting in line to get it done around a pharmacy or dr office
Anxiety looking at those being injected while standing next to someone who looks unhealthy or a sit/stand toilet kit in CVS
While saying to themselves I’ve learned to deal with washing and keeping healthy do I need this?
Maybe I don’t need it because this guy here said some people don’t need it because x or y.
I’ll skip it and tell others about the good news I have discovered.

Rewind the calendar to April 2020 and that same person was hoping & praying there would be an effective vaccine ASAP.
You got the vaccine you wished for faster than expected. You should be happy but you are not because of fear.
Simple and complex emotions are at play.

Seen it time and time again over the years. Buyers put up resistance over small things like the classic “My realtor didn’t do anything they sold my house in a few days”. YOU WANTED IT SOLD FAST.
I don’t need to replace my expensive nas. Have you had data problems with it? No that’s why I don’t need it. WTF you purchased it to protect your data and it did but somehow that isn’t good enough?

This devolved into a sales guy rant sorry.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Almost 7 and 9. I'm sure the people who have lost kids to this disease are comforted by the very low risk.

What a disingenuous and crazy thing to say...

Life is full of risks my friend. There are a few things far more dangerous to kids than Covid19, ESPECIALLY healthy kids, that most don't even seem to think about twice. How many kids die in sporting accidents every year? How many in car crashes? At some point we have to live without irrational fear, we have to be realistic or we stop "living" in an effort to "live" longer.

• Haha

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So you don't want to read the paper, you don't want to watch an actual doctor take the time to explain it as much as possible to non-medical professionals, but you still come on here and call me names and say I'm wrong. Got it!

Cause its "a doctor"... singular... And we already have the bestest doctors on record on the subject. Why would I got for grade B doctor when I can listen to grade A doctor? "As far as I know" <- means he is NOT commenting on his field of expertise.
Plus. Youtube. Views == money. So what content gets the most views? Maybe.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What a disingenuous and crazy thing to say...

Life is full of risks my friend. There are a few things far more dangerous to kids than Covid19, ESPECIALLY healthy kids, that most don't even seem to think about twice. How many kids die in sporting accidents every year? How many in car crashes? At some point we have to live without irrational fear, we have to be realistic or we stop "living" in an effort to "live" longer.
Okay person who does not have kids.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Okay person who does not have kids.
Sometimes it takes someone outside of a bubble to have a more unbiased look on things. Some kids are not gonna make it, that's life. We can't stop the world to protect each and every one, no matter how special your kids are. We can't deny that every action has other unintended consequences. The true damage of economic effects of the pandemic aren't even know yet. Suicides are way up among young kids, especially girls.

• Haha

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
Our hospital system is overrun right now by the younger population infected with the variant. I don't have time to read every page but to address reinfections we have has several patients re infected again this year. Antibodies are not a guarantee of permanent immunity by any measure. Also, the notion of having natural immunity isn't guaranteed to anyone due to ever mutating variants we are seeing. I am also certain that on the 3rd day he rose again posters have agendas. Everyone stay safe it is getting gnarly again.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sometimes it takes someone outside of a bubble to have a more unbiased look on things. Some kids are not gonna make it, that's life. We can't stop the world to protect each and every one, no matter how special your kids are. We can't deny that every action has other unintended consequences. The true damage of economic effects of the pandemic aren't even know yet. Suicides are way up among young kids, especially girls.

Economy > people.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
"Antibodies wane! Oh, no, not that, they actually could last up to a lifetime!"

So you still haven't explained how what I said, which is that antibody titers go down in time after infection, but that immunity could last a lifetime because your body has learned how to make more when needed.

Instead of just repeatedly saying I'm wrong, why don't you tell me what would be correct in this regard?

• Haha

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Our hospital system is overrun right now by the younger population infected with the variant. I don't have time to read every page but to address reinfections we have has several patients re infected again this year. Antibodies are not a guarantee of permanent immunity by any measure. Also, the notion of having natural immunity isn't guaranteed to anyone due to ever mutating variants we are seeing. I am also certain that on the 3rd day he rose again posters have agendas. Everyone stay safe it is getting gnarly again.
I'm not sure if I'm in the "he rose again" category, but nobody is talking about any guarantees. Reinfections do happen, in previously infected AND in fully vaccinated people.

But the question is: will this go on forever then? Or will this end at some point?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
What I want to "accomplish" is the end of the horror show we've been living in for the last 14 months. I'm arguing that we need to open up now and let the chips fall where they may.
You have been living in a horror show. Some of us have had the best year of their lives. 'Letting the chips fall where they may' means people die, quite possibly yourself.
Delta is SO infectious and SO widespread that the number of extra lives who would be saved if only everyone would get vaccinated is quite low, especially considering that fact that even vaccinated people can get infected and pass it on to others.
Categorically false. If you vaccinated 80% of the population, you still have a problem for 20% of the population, but the 99.9% of those 80% won't end up in the hospital, which is great.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Who is stopping the world? What does that even mean? Forcing vaccines and masks is stopping the world? Or something else?

You really are a brave man willing to risk the lives of everyone's kids though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You have been living in a horror show. Some of us have had the best year of their lives. 'Letting the chips fall where they may' means people die, quite possibly yourself.
Yeah, for pandemic-unrelated reasons, this has been one of the best years of my life, and it's taken a little effort to not feel guilty about my extreme happiness levels when so many people are lamenting their travails.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, for pandemic-unrelated reasons, this has been one of the best years of my life, and it's taken a little effort to not feel guilty about my extreme happiness levels when so many people are lamenting their travails.
If you didn't lose someone to the pandemic, in my opinion, you have no travails to lament over. Don't feel guilty for the egotists.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Who is stopping the world? What does that even mean? Forcing vaccines and masks is stopping the world? Or something else?

You really are a brave man willing to risk the lives of everyone's kids though.
I'm a professional musician. My work stopped COLD just like that. I've done alright in my life so I wasn't ever at risk of becoming homeless or anything, but many other musicians here in LA weren't in the same boat. I know of a few people personally whose lives have been upended in ways you guys can't even imagine. Half the restaurants here have gone out of business, some owners who I know personally have lost everything they built up for years.

We all risk each other's lives everyday when we get on that freeway. I'm not a fool, I'm not reckless, but we do need to stay rational.

• Haha

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
citation needed
We can't cite the future. We will have to revisit this in the winter. At an IFR of 0.35, and nobody has argued with me that that number is not correct, we are at >50% infection rate in the US already. Delta is 3 times more infectious than the wild strain, latest data in UK shows almost 50% of new reported cases are in fully vaccinated people; this thing will run its course.

• Haha

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What I really want to know is this.

We know that even mild covid-19 cases may result in long term symptoms afterwards, right?

So. Vaccinated. We get infected. Our body fights it off cause immunity - so we only get a mild case. Yay.
BUT - what about the long term aftermath? Are we still subject to all that horseshit even though vaccinated? Melted taste buds? Uninspired penises? Cognitive effects(are we gonna turn into Trumpsters?) ... Questions, so many questions.

edit : found this

"Long Covid—a term referring to symptoms that linger for weeks or months beyond infection—affects between 10% and 30% of people who catch the virus, including those with mild or asymptomatic infections, according to experts. In some cases, symptoms persist for more than a year. "

10-30%, "including those with mild or asymptomatic infections"

Asymptomatic, that sounds like a vaccinated person having a brush off with the virus.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
We can't cite the future. We will have to revisit this in the winter. At an IFR of 0.35, and nobody has argued with me that that number is not correct, we are at >50% infection rate in the US already. Delta is 3 times more infectious than the wild strain, latest data in UK shows almost 50% of new reported cases are in fully vaccinated people; this thing will run its course.
When everybody is vaccinated, how many of your new reported cases is gonna be from fully vaccinated people? This is a test ;).

Reactions: pmv