Consumer confidence is the highest it's been in the last 4 years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Confidence is high, it's why there are record gun sales!
http://www.infowars.com/black-friday-gun-sales-hit-new-record-high/

Black Friday gun sales hit an all time record high last week with demand for new firearms so overwhelming that it caused outages at the FBI background check center on two separate occasions.Fueled by fears that the Obama administration will go after gun rights during a lame duck term, the FBI reported 154,873 background check requests on Friday – a 20 per cent increase on last year’s record total of 129,166 checks.

The number of guns sold could actually be double or more that figure because only one background check is recorded per sale even if buyers purchase multiple firearms.

“With the recent election, some people are making buying decisions just in case something (new law) happens,” Don Gallardo, manager of Shooter’s World in Phoenix, told USA Today.
Gun stores noted that first time gun owners and women represented a significant number of those purchasing firearms on Black Friday.

Please, do what you can to help the economy, to help your country, to help your fellow Americans, buy lots of guns and ammo.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Conservatives are easy to manipulate because they are driven by irrational fear. Want to sell more guns? Claim Obama is going after them. Instant sales rush.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/obama-calls-for-renewal-of-assault-weapons-ban/

At the end of a long answer to the question, “What has your administration done or planned to do to limit the availability of assault weapons?” Obama said this:

“My belief is that, (A), we have to enforce the laws we’ve already got, make sure that we’re keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We’ve done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we’ve got more to do when it comes to enforcement.

“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

As a candidate in 2008, Obama campaigned on permanent reinstatement of the expired assault weapons ban, and Attorney General Eric Holder in 2009 indicated that the administration would lobby for a bill. But that never materialized and the White House has largely avoided talking about it.

In August, after the Sikh Temple shooting, Jay Carney said, “He does support renewing the assault weapons ban.”

But tonight is the first time during his first term that the sentiment has come from the president’s mouth.

Irrational? Only irrational in that most conservatives know what a lying piece of shit Obama really is and we can pretty much dismiss most of what he says.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
So you are blissfully unaware that America as a whole has been deleveraging at an alarming rate?

Private debt held by individuals has not been "deleverging" in the manner you believe it has and in fact American households still hold significant amounts of debt.

Furthermore the trend of "deleveraging" seen between 2008-2010 during the housing crash of halted around 2010 as mortgage debt has been replaced by other forms of debt such as the issues we see with the student loans debacle and a rise in consumer credit debt. There however still a significant amount of mortgage debt out there but it has been surpassed by other forms of debt by the American public.

Household_Debt_Deleveraging_Slow_Chart.jpg

Household_Debt_Deleveraging_Mixed_Chart.jpg

http://reason.org/news/show/debt-holds-back-economic-growth

http://reason.com/archives/2012/08/09/private-debt-is-crippling-the-economy/1

America had started the process of household balance sheet deleveraging after the bubble burst. Mortgage debt levels have fallen sharply. And consumer credit—all debt other than mortgage debt—was declining as well. But in the summer of 2010, as the post-recession faux-recovery created false hope that the good times were back and as savings decimated by the bursting bubble began to hit zero in the midst of a weak economy, consumer credit levels (led by credit card purchases) began to rise again.

People are spending because money right now has less value to it as the Federal Reserve and our government uses inflationary methods of drowning us in dollars and borrowing money from over seas to prop up the structural fiscal issues facing this nation which revolve from our government's and the American public's debt addiction. In other words credit is recklessly abundant and easy for people to get outside of home mortgage's and people falsely believe that they have wealth to burn through.

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I will be honest - I don't quite get why it is up. Credit card debt it up, credit card late payments are up, late car payments are up, student loan default is up, savings for retirement is down, interest rates are eating into remaining savings, Europe in recession and Japan is close, China's lower growth rate, dismal US corporate earnings growth and we are still hurdling towards the cliff.

I will say I think that if the government gets its act together and avoids the cliff that we will see a lot of pent up economic growth but I am still hesitant to be confident about the economy until that happens (as opposed to no deal or yet another can kick)

Obama is in office for four more years. First will be student loan bailouts then consumer credit debt bailouts. I am maxing everything out just in case.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I hate obama is every aspect imaginable. That being said, him and clinton are some of the best spoken and articulate individuals I have ever seen. I bet he could sell ice to an Eskimo. I would be surprised if consumer confidence and all those other PR type things werent very high.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
That just means that there isn't much if any logic behind consumer confidence. Especially when they're confidently raking up debt while the govt is creating an artificial economic demand via deficit spending, the fed is cranking the printing presses, and the MSNBC puppets cheerfully circlejerk each other.

Nov 30, 2006
http://articles.marketwatch.com/201...nt-uncertainty-over-future-taxes-fiscal-cliff

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Consumer sentiment took a giant step back in December, as the looming fiscal cliff made its first measurable dent on the public’s psyche.

The preliminary University of Michigan-Thomson Reuters consumer sentiment index fell to 74.5 from 82.7 in November.

That’s far below the 82.0 expected in a MarketWatch-compiled economist poll, eliminating four months of gains and also representing the biggest one-month drop since March 2011.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Sorry about the bad news Rightists but in your defense is this because you were able to barely hold onto the HOR?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-dot-s-dot-climbs-to-more-than-four-year-high

Ya the use of credit cards has gone up greatly . We have to wait and see if those debt are paid . Give the poor a credit card they live like kings until its time to make payments .
Spending at this time of year is the same as looking at Jobs figures and thinking its a recovery . Retards

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Didnt we have the worst economy since the great depression 4 years ago? Sooner or later you have to purchase things you need.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Confidence is high, it's why there are record gun sales!
http://www.infowars.com/black-friday-gun-sales-hit-new-record-high/

Please, do what you can to help the economy, to help your country, to help your fellow Americans, buy lots of guns and ammo.

I won't disagree with ya on this issue . Keep in mind if you buy a gun for the reason you give . It really cann't be argued that the intent is not there to use those guns against fellow americans . If it gets to that point in America I rather be dead. I can't imagine what kind of america will come out of it . Befor Tech it meant alot we could take back the gooberment . With Tech . The game is over WE the People have lost. The left seems to be OK with this . Fine . SO be it. The Right should cave in and let the left has its way . Fact is the right should spoon feed the left and its agenda. Refuse to work if OUR union contracts aren't equal word for word with teacher unions as they are the only class of workers that can be compared to the middle . Teachers are no Smarter than the middle class Fact is they be less smart thay lack reasoning abilities

Last edited: