Consumer confidence is the highest it's been in the last 4 years

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
shit I know I spent a crap ton the last few days.

New camera lenses, new ar15, PS3, kinect, some games, some toys, clothes, and what not. I think about $3500 or so this past weekend.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Not a fan of that index but I am definately not a fan of these baiting type threads.

How can you have a serious discussion about anything when you start them in this manner?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
ConsSentJuly2012.jpg

Consumer confidence is clearly and unambiguously at a recessionary level, 4 year high or no. It's not surprising really. 4 years of money printing and mad drunked sailor spending tends to help consumers feel good. Just like maxing out your credit card feels good even after you've lost your means to pay it. There comes a moment where the debtor just says "screw it I aint never paying it back so...... max it out!!!!". That is America right now. And these sad pathetic sacks of crap that actually have the nerve to praise this behavior are just scum. You will get what you deserve I guarantee that. Your kind of stupidity just opens the gates for the mongols. And you're sheer ignorance prevents you from even understanding what that means.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Consumer confidence is clearly and unambiguously at a recessionary level, 4 year high or no. It's not surprising really. 4 years of money printing and mad drunked sailor spending tends to help consumers feel good. Just like maxing out your credit card feels good even after you've lost your means to pay it. There comes a moment where the debtor just says "screw it I aint never paying it back so...... max it out!!!!". That is America right now. And these sad pathetic sacks of crap that actually have the nerve to praise this behavior are just scum. You will get what you deserve I guarantee that. Your kind of stupidity just opens the gates for the mongols. And you're sheer ignorance prevents you from even understanding what that means.
So you are blissfully unaware that America as a whole has been deleveraging at an alarming rate?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I will be honest - I don't quite get why it is up. Credit card debt it up, credit card late payments are up, late car payments are up, student loan default is up, savings for retirement is down, interest rates are eating into remaining savings, Europe in recession and Japan is close, China's lower growth rate, dismal US corporate earnings growth and we are still hurdling towards the cliff.

I will say I think that if the government gets its act together and avoids the cliff that we will see a lot of pent up economic growth but I am still hesitant to be confident about the economy until that happens (as opposed to no deal or yet another can kick)

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Sooo if Rmoney was in the WH he would have never taken credit for this?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Guess these consumers are pretty confident that the fiscal cliff thing won't affect them...

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
So you are blissfully unaware that America as a whole has been deleveraging at an alarming rate?

America has NOT been deleveraging. The financial sector has been transferring its leverage onto the balance sheet of the public debt. But other than that, there has been no deleveraging. Not even in housing,though that makes a fine example of what I'm talking about. (Housing debt has gone down, but home values went down more, so that is actually increasing leverage.) Post charts of sectors you think are deleveraging and I'll go over them.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
That's why no one is bailing out of the Stock market either.

Do you not understand the possible impact to consumers that going over the cliff might have?

Of course not...if you did, you would understand that it would not cause anyone to bail from the stock market...

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do you not understand the possible impact to consumers that going over the cliff might have?

Of course not...if you did, you would understand that it would not cause anyone to bail from the stock market...

I understand that this "Fiscal cliff" isn't really a cliff at all do you?