Considering Building A Fanless Mini PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

New Goer

Jan 13, 2018
Am I at a dead end here? :confused:

As heat is the enemy of electronics, and I wish to minimize its effect in my aimed fanless device, should I get an APU and delid it?

Or should I simply revert to the shady Chinese PC, the barebone option?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Am I at a dead end here? :confused:

As heat is the enemy of electronics, and I wish to minimize its effect in my aimed fanless device, should I get an APU and delid it?

Or should I simply revert to the shady Chinese PC, the barebone option?
Or just spend the money on a well designed fanless case that can handle 65W TDP CPUs well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, small, quiet / silent, is going to cost more than your average OEM PC with the same types of specs.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I thought Euler was well designed, as it attaches the CPU to the heatsink directly.
To be honest, I have never used fanless MiniPCs before so I don't know much much about them. Other then what some of the posters here told me and the few reviews that I read.

New Goer

Jan 13, 2018
Revising a previous selection:
Euler case is only compatible with the T-series of Intel Core CPUs.

The T-series CPUs are NOT for retail, and are NOT covered by Intel's 3yr warranty. They can be special-ordered as tray/OEM without the warranty.

The question is: How can the Euler case be offered for retail if this is the reality?
What's the viewpoint of the personal builders like me, who used the case?
Is it normal to buy a new CPU of these? or do they mostly buy old/used ones?

New Goer

Jan 13, 2018
Due to the discouraging lack of supply for a thin mini PC (CPU, mobo, small FHD monitor), I backed off, and revised my plan:
  • My need is a PC, small and durable, for long term regular use and easy moving. This includes the monitor.
  • Portability was not a priority in the plan. Now, I say it is nice to have.
  • I adopted the idea of fanless PC because I liked having a fully solid device (pure electronics, no moving parts). Now, I see reasons to abandon it: It is heavy, and heat inside it will cause faster deterioration, especially in hot climates. (Components are designed with the expectation of at least some airflow across them.)
  • FHD Monitors don't come smaller than 19.5". They're big and heavy (as they need a stand).
So I cancelled the idea, and now looking for a notebook.

A notebook is probably the most brilliant human achievement. It combines all the components in a small, light, portable unit, which has become powerful and affordable.

I'll simply add a mouse, a keyboard, and a notebook desk, to raise it to eye level.

Life is too short.

Last edited: