Conservatives attacking Paul Ryan for being Muslim due to his beard

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Has anybody figured out how the Muslims turned Ryan. If somebody that supposedly American can be turned, they can maybe get to anybody and terrorist cells could be anywhere.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Has anybody figured out how the Muslims turned Ryan. If somebody that supposedly American can be turned, they can maybe get to anybody and terrorist cells could be anywhere.

[sarcasm]No taxes for Muslims, only for infidels under Sharia and everyone knows Ryan is a huge anti-tax guy. [/sarcasm]

edited to include sarcasm tags since you never know.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You don't seem to get it...but it's really quite simple. If a handful of "conservatives" tweet something stupid, then conservatives in general can be painted with the same brush. So it follows that Muslim extremists and their violent behavior somehow represents Muslims in general and they should be painted with the same brush as well, even though the percentage of Muslim extremists in the Muslim population is quite low. Apparently this kind of "logic" applies to Muslims in general as well as those who appear to be Muslim even though they aren't. This is the level of mentality we're dealing with here.

It's almost like trying to watch a square wheel roll most of the time.

Nov 30, 2006
Gee, I apologize that I didn't answer this question for you - I thought it was already answered. If it were only 3 conservatives, then no one would give a shit. But, if you look on the Twitter search linked to above, you can see which tweets were retweeted the most. The first one I see with more than 100 retweets comes from someone who is clearly right wing with right wing followers. 63.8 thousand followers according to her Twitter account. She associates the hashtags: Christian, conservative, policelivesmatter, and rednationrising, among others. And, if you skim through her tweets, clearly not a Democrat... Here's the idiotic tweet she posted: "Paul Ryan calls for Donald Trump to step down over Moslem comments, then Muslim sympathizerPaul Ryan grows a Muslim beard. PATHETIC"
I missed the one non-rhetorical question, the answer to which was more or less already discussed in the thread. And just to mention again - you keep downplaying this as "a handful" of tweets - it's been thousands. If it were just a handful, none of us would care. Yes, quite a few of the tweets are jokes. If you read the tweet I quoted above, it's not meant as a joke, and was retweeted nearly 200 times alone.
You owe me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Now you can appreciate just how September 11th and the subsequent years have affected American perception of Muslims. And for all that negative weight there has been nearly zero counter balance. How many hours does the news dedicate to terrorism and wars featuring Muslim enemies?

That sort of thinking you describe is not isolated to a few.
There is systemic conditioning involved via isolation, group think, and tribalism.
And there's practically no one in United States leadership that's helping matters.

:thumbsup:

...except for the bolded. Obama has been 100% towing to the same line since before his election as POTUS, in that this isn't a muslim problem, this is a terrorist problem.

Exactly like GWB before him.

Of course, whenever Obama gives an alternate perspective than what the press or talking chucklleheads on the radio give, he is attacked as "weak," "serving our enemies," and more hilariously, "a secret anti-american mooslim turning the USA into a Caliphate."

So, we've had 2 leaders since 9/11 giving an alternate perspective on Muslims, certainly the two most important leaders in public, but they only get attacked for this perspective (well, only one of them gets attacked--because he's black and has the temerity to say things that make his attackers feel all icky about themselves).