Connect East end of Long Island with CT?

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally it was in the works according to Wikipedia but it did not carry through.
I think it would be pretty neat.

It doesn't affect me much since I don't go to NE, but it would probably create more traffic through LI which is possibly where the opposition came from.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
>99% of the us population doesn't care. as for the rest of you, if you want it, spend your own money.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Would be better than taking the ferry, but its still at least a 9 mile span to bridge, which is kind of crazy for something not entirely necessary.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
If it happened, I would hope it'd alleviate some of the traffic there is between the main land and the Island. Getting off of LI is a b!tch anytime of the day.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BigJ
If it happened, I would hope it'd alleviate some of the traffic there is between the main land and the Island. Getting off of LI is a b!tch anytime of the day.

? The only time I ever see traffic going to or coming from the city on either the LIE or northern state is during rush hour or if theres an accident.

You havent seen traffic till youve been to LA. Those roads are clogged 24/7.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BD2003

? The only time I ever see traffic going to or coming from the city on either the LIE or northern state is during rush hour or if theres an accident.

While I agree with the LA part, the other part about LIE not being congested is false. There's traffic a lot of the time... even with the newly expanded HOV lane. You'd be going 20mph and suddenly speed up to highway speeds and wonder WTF just happened and why people were going so slow. There was no reason... just volume. And a few onramps like near the Cross Island is still a mess... near Queens Boulevard too. Many of the times, traffic starts all the way back at exit 39, or if you're lucky, you can go west until 36 without any traffic. Keep in mind NYC is down near exit 18... it's no fun. I use the service road and I'm not going that much faster.

Anyway, about connecting with CT, I wouldn't have any problems with it so long as it doesn't cause an increase in taxes. I agree it would alleviate some "heading out of town" traffic. The ferry that can take on cars is expensive, so I hear. You know the Seaford Oyster Bay expressway (Rt. 135 - which is LIE exit 44) runs north/south and at the end of the northern point (in Woodbury) the highway just stops. Just paint a picture... if it keeps going, it hits CT. I'd be for that for sure... not even the end of LI... it'd be the middle... straight up to Stamford... 17 short miles.

pic

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rh71

While I agree with the LA part, the other part about LIE not being congested is false. There's traffic a lot of the time... even with the newly expanded HOV lane. You'd be going 20mph and suddenly speed up to highway speeds and wonder WTF just happened and why people were going so slow. There was no reason... just volume. And a few onramps like near the Cross Island is still a mess... near Queens Boulevard too. Many of the times, traffic starts all the way back at exit 39, or if you're lucky, you can go west until 36 without any traffic. Keep in mind NYC is down near exit 18... it's no fun. I use the service road and I'm not going that much faster.

Anyway, about connecting with CT, I wouldn't have any problems with it so long as it doesn't cause an increase in taxes. I agree it would alleviate some "heading out of town" traffic. The ferry that can take on cars is expensive, so I hear. You know the Seaford Oyster Bay expressway (Rt. 135) runs north/south and at the end of the northern point (in Woodbury) the highway just stops. Just paint a picture... if it keeps going, it hits CT. I'd be for that for sure... not even the end of LI... it'd be the middle... straight up to Stamford... 17 short miles.

pic

I usually dont go much further than queens. If I'm getting off the island, Im more likely to go through the GWB than through manhattan, where Im sure its probably a lot worse. Although most of those people causing that traffic is more likely to be queens residents than LI residents, so I doubt this would alleviate any of it.

It costs about $50 to take your car across on the pt jeff ferry. Walk on is 15.

Stamford is so close to the city that itd be a waste. Anything west past pt jeff and new haven would be almost pointless. pt jeff and bridgeport are as close as youre going to get until you get to the north fork.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Stamford is so close to the city that itd be a waste. Anything west past pt jeff and new haven would be almost pointless. pt jeff and bridgeport are as close as youre going to get until you get to the north fork.
I'd definitely go for Sagtikos --> Bridgeport.

The NY tolls being what they are, I wouldn't feel too bad about an $8 toll for this new bridge going up there... save a few NYC headaches... not really a waste for those of us east of NYC.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
do it right around the middle of the island. We need better excape routes in case that anything happens west of us.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
it would be rather cool to connect LI to CT, but for me, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference in transportation.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: So
>99% of the us population doesn't care. as for the rest of you, if you want it, spend your own money.

i sure as sh!t dont care, and i try to avoid driving down there at all costs anyway

Feb 10, 2000
Screw that! My dad lives in Mattituck on the North Fork, and that place is getting overrun with weekenders as it is. Actually he's on the Southold Town Board and running for Supervisor - I know he'd fight this suggestion tooth and nail in both capacities.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: forcesho
they stop that seaford oyster bay expressway to keep people out of CT... CT fight like hell to stop it.. they almost build that bridge..

it would have been great for me.. I could have move to LI and goto work in CT instead of living in the city and commute to CT... I know a lot of people that live in LI would love it too...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=seaford+o...7105,0.013179&t=h&num=10&start=0&hl=en

thats where it ended
I thought I remembered something about stopping it purposely... do you have any sources ? I can't seem to find any.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I thought I remembered something about stopping it purposely... do you have any sources ? I can't seem to find any.
[/quote]

no can't find it.. i might be able to find some old paper..

i was gonna move right out to where that highway ended... my friend just moved there a month ago.. nice area.. really nice..

No entrance-exit points north of NY 25A. You are putting a highway through the homes of some very rich and powerful people, but this plan seems like a good one.

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/NY-135/

history
http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/oysterbay-rye/

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ yeah I grew up in Plainview which is exit 10/11 of the 14 exits on Rt135... now I'm the next town over. Syosset/Woodbury certainly is a rich area but I thought it was about CT stopping the highway... not those towns... :confused:

Thx for the links - interesting stuff. Weird to see 70's cars in those pics.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: forcesho

no can't find it.. i might be able to find some old paper..

i was gonna move right out to where that highway ended... my friend just moved there a month ago.. nice area.. really nice..

No entrance-exit points north of NY 25A. You are putting a highway through the homes of some very rich and powerful people, but this plan seems like a good one.

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/NY-135/

history
http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/oysterbay-rye/

[/quote]

That's one of the more wealthy communities in Nassau.
Rented a place there for a year.
All doctors, lawyers, business owners with $2M houses.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Traffic already sucks in Southern CT, and you want to make it worse?
Anyways, if people want to get across, they can jump on the Port Jeff ferry.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
:(
On June 20, 1973, Governor Nelson Rockefeller made this statement concerning the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge:

After long and careful consideration and review of all factors concerned, I have decided to discontinue plans for the construction of the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge.

This has not been an easy decision. There are strong arguments for the bridge, and I have vigorously supported this proposal. It is part of a long-standing plan to link Long Island to the mainland and to enhance the role of the Island in the commerce and industry of the state.

However, in recent years the people of our state and the country have gradually come to adopt new values in relation to our environment and evidenced a willingness to forgo certain economic advantages to achieve these values. The Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge has become a lightning rod in this period of evolution. Therefore, after a thorough review of all the factors and after consulting with representatives of environmental, labor, business and other groups, and with individuals, I have come to the conclusion that we should cease our plans to build the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge.

Although the bridge would bring many real benefits and fill some real needs, obviously it would lead to large-scale disruption of existing patterns of life. We must continue to grow, and must continue to grow in a way that is compatible with valid environmental objectives.

Therefore, I believe we should concentrate our efforts on extending and improving our mass transit systems to better serve the needs of the people on an economical and efficient basis, while at the same time undertaking necessary highway projects throughout the state that do not involve ecological problems.

Although the original proposal was defeated, plans for a bridge across Long Island Sound continued to top the agenda among transportation officials for many years. In 1979, before a meeting organized by state and county officials in Hauppauge, New York, Robert Moses, by now a 91-year-old advisor emeritus for the MTA, repeated the need for a bridge:

Long Island needs a Sound Crossing, but where? Westchester needs a Sound Crossing, but where? Connecticut needs a Sound Crossing, but where? It was clear to us 20 years ago, and is more obvious today, that we need a Sound Crossing for 40,000 to 50,000 daily users at a location that will avoid circuitous, time-consuming, energy wasting, totally unnecessary trips through New York City. We need immediately a bridge from Oyster Bay to Rye built from income derived from users.

kb3edk

Jul 11, 2004
I don't see why it shouldn't be done... engineering should not be a concern, you've got the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel in Virginia that is just as long, if not longer (23 miles) over ocean waters.

It'd be difficult to predict what the impact on traffic and development would be on LI. Most of the island is pretty much all "built out" already. As for traffic I think there would be a slight increase, but it might also ease thru traffic in Manhattan and several outside bridges like the Throgs Neck, Tappan Zee, etc. It gives you another way to bypass Manhattan when going up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
WAAAHHHHH

Move off Long island if the traffic sucks.

Taxes are horrible anywheres within 30 miles of the Statue Of Liberty anyways.

LOL.

You could move near me,Albany NY area,and find housing for about half
the cost of the NY City Area.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

I second that. I lived in Lake Ronkonkoma for a year and went off about 8 times. Every time sucked. We always went the Verizonno (sp) Narrows route, but it still took forever.