Congresswoman to Google CEO: Why when I search ‘idiot’ do I get pictures of Trump? Claims conspiracy.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This may be a heretical idea guys, but I'm still working out the kinks, so hear me out:

Is it possible that this line of questioning was as dumb as shit, and the big tech companies are abusive monopolies with information/our data?;)

It wasn't dumb. It was just a nifty way to troll the GOP. At least the Google guy didn't rub it in by answering "Many people are saying..."

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I dunno man..These "hearings" don't seem to be about Googles handling of personal data or a fact finding mission of how the technology works. They seem to be whining sessions by granpa's like Steve King about how his grand daughter see's negative things about him when they search his name. Maybe the parents of this child should know his views on things are not popular and block his name on her phone. When Democrats start whining in tax payer funded hearings about how negative searches are so unfair to them..I'll listen.

What should Democrats run on with regards to reigning in tech? What is "reigning in tech"?. It all depends on what this means..if I listen. It seems like that many Reps. in this committee think there is some liberal conspiracy by Google against conservatives. I going to assume the majority of people working at Google and probably most companies in existence thinks Steve King has horrible views and doesn't support the truth. The only thing he, and other's like him in the Republican party can do is to be for things that are popular and support the truth or do whatever things that will make him likable . He seems to not accept the fact that may people don't like him. No conspiracy found.
I never said there was a conspiracy. I just find it entertaining that there is so much disingenuous rage over the GOP’s questions, yet no concern over the kid glove treatment against the leadership of Facebook, Twitter and Google, especially in the wake of recent revelations that expose their utter lack of ethics.

How do you reign them in? The EU has led in this regard, mostly around legislating protections around privacy. Maybe when Mueller is done draining the lobbyist swamp he can go after the Silicon Valley one.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Answer me this one, round-earthers.......how come when I google "creampies", I don't get a single recipe for a delicious desert pastry?

Keep your head in the sand, sheeple.

Reactions: jman19

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I never said there was a conspiracy. I just find it entertaining that there is so much disingenuous rage over the GOP’s questions, yet no concern over the kid glove treatment against the leadership of Facebook, Twitter and Google, especially in the wake of recent revelations that expose their utter lack of ethics.

How do you reign them in? The EU has led in this regard, mostly around legislating protections around privacy. Maybe when Mueller is done draining the lobbyist swamp he can go after the Silicon Valley one.

Hearings on Facebook, Twitter and Google, with regard to ethics violations, making sure privacy of personal information is handled within the law including possible regulations in line with the EU model would be worth while and productive use of tax dollars. But..it seems that this is not what these hearings seem to be about..the conspiracy theme seems, IMO to rule the day.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Also spare me the outrage that this is a GOP only issue. While Republicans seek less restrictive regulations around traditional industries like fossil fuels and manufacturing, and are hypocrites for now demanding regulations on Google, the Democrats are so deeply entwined with Silicon Valley that the party of “big government” has not exactly moved the needle on the privacy and monopoly concerns that both you and I see as legitimate. The sudden adoration of free market capitalism and meritocracies warms my heart.

Google is not the only problematic company, but they are symbolic of the disease that permeates across tech, and Pichai did little to change perceptions of tech executives as arrogant and out of touch.

I'm sorry, but you're misinformed on the facts here. The GOP voted in lockstep in March, 2017 to gut an internet privacy regulation put in place by Obama, which would have precluded ISP's from storing and selling your browsing history and other information, while all 48 dems in the Senate voted no. You can call that partisan obstructionism if you like, but it's inconsistent with the dems being in the pocket of Silicon Valley and therefore doing nothing about privacy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...37ddb6e813e_story.html?utm_term=.1a62015d5b8d

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z and dank69

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Answer me this one, round-earthers.......how come when I google "creampies", I don't get a single recipe for a delicious desert pastry?

Round earther?

Do I need to check my sarcasm meter or are you seriously disputing a spherical earth?
o_O

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm sorry, but you're misinformed on the facts here. The GOP voted in lockstep in March, 2017 to gut an internet privacy regulation put in place by Obama, which would have precluded ISP's from storing and selling your browsing history and other information, while all 48 dems in the Senate voted no. You can call that partisan obstructionism if you like, but it's inconsistent with the dems being in the pocket of Silicon Valley and therefore doing nothing about privacy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...37ddb6e813e_story.html?utm_term=.1a62015d5b8d
Per your article, ISPs and tech companies fall under different federal regulatory bodies.

The ISPs politically behave and align more with the GOP, and if anything were looking for a way to monetize that sweet sweet data. Interestingly enough, and per your article, the big tech companies quietly supported the ISPs and GOP in their efforts given the future implications and threat to their domain.

Also, the politics of this gets skewed by the GOP obstructionism and partisanship of the Obama years.

Obama did something about ISPs. Nothing has been done to regulate Silicon Valley.

I am not the only one saying this. Several left leaning and reputable news outlets have called the Democrats out on this very issue. The NY Times wrote a scathing article on Schumer’s misplaced loyalties to Facebook.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Per your article, ISPs and tech companies fall under different federal regulatory bodies.

The ISPs politically behave and align more with the GOP, and if anything were looking for a way to monetize that sweet sweet data. Interestingly enough, and per your article, the big tech companies quietly supported the ISPs and GOP in their efforts given the future implications and threat to their domain.

Also, the politics of this gets skewed by the GOP obstructionism and partisanship of the Obama years.

Obama did something about ISPs. Nothing has been done to regulate Silicon Valley.

I am not the only one saying this. Several left leaning and reputable news outlets have called the Democrats out on this very issue. The NY Times wrote a scathing article on Schumer’s misplaced loyalties to Facebook.

Perhaps the dems haven't done enough. but there are more examples to the contrary of your hypothesis. Deep blue California, where most of these IT companies are based, just five months ago passed an internet privacy law which precludes all online companies from disseminating your private information without first informing the consumer and allowing the consumer to instruct them to delete it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/technology/california-online-privacy-law.html

This is perhaps a better example than the one I already gave, because not only is it not limited to ISP's, but if any democrats are truly beholden to Silicon Valley, you can be damn sure it would be the ones in Sacramento.

So, eh, maybe some dems are too close to Silicon Valley, sort of. But this is nothing like the bought and paid for relationship that the GOP has with, say, the fossil fuel industry.

Reactions: dank69
Nov 25, 2013
Huh. And here I've been told for years that the Democrats were 'in thrall to evil Wall Street'. So now the boogeyman is 'evil tech companies'? Damn, I just can't keep up.

btw, how's that wannabe Mussolini been doing running the country with the help of the new Fascist Republican Party Of The American Motherland? I guess, given that they're the ones actually running things these days, they're really not that important?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

My Google fu tells me if you put a space between cream and pies you will get the recipes you are looking for. Spaces make a difference. ;)

Reactions: ch33zw1z and OCGuy

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Perhaps the dems haven't done enough. but there are more examples to the contrary of your hypothesis. Deep blue California, where most of these IT companies are based, just five months ago passed an internet privacy law which precludes all online companies from disseminating your private information without first informing the consumer and allowing the consumer to instruct them to delete it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/technology/california-online-privacy-law.html

This is perhaps a better example than the one I already gave, because not only is it not limited to ISP's, but if any democrats are truly beholden to Silicon Valley, you can be damn sure it would be the ones in Sacramento.

So, eh, maybe some dems are too close to Silicon Valley, sort of. But this is nothing like the bought and paid for relationship that the GOP has with, say, the fossil fuel industry.
If you’re going to bring up the CA privacy law, at least tell the whole story...mainly that CA was facing a popular privacy ballot initiative, and the legislature, in lock step with ISPs and tech companies, rushed to pass a flawed law with adequate loopholes and vulnerable to further “amendments” to get in front of and prevent the ballot initiative from going forward. HBR wrote a good article on it that was not quite as generous as you.

I will concede the point when the Democrat controlled House parades Zuckerberg and Sandberg in to testify under oath what they knew and when with respect to Russian meddling in our elections.

Nov 25, 2013
That's the ticket. Now we start to see who the *real* villains are. Not the Russians, not Trump, it was the evil tech companies.

Wall Street must be wiping it's collective brow right about now. Off the hook, at least for a while. Now the California creeps can get pounded for a while. We'll just have to see where the boogeyman leads us from here.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you’re going to bring up the CA privacy law, at least tell the whole story...mainly that CA was facing a popular privacy ballot initiative, and the legislature, in lock step with ISPs and tech companies, rushed to pass a flawed law with adequate loopholes and vulnerable to further “amendments” to get in front of and prevent the ballot initiative from going forward. HBR wrote a good article on it that was not quite as generous as you.

I will concede the point when the Democrat controlled House parades Zuckerberg and Sandberg in to testify under oath what they knew and when with respect to Russian meddling in our elections.
I'm shocked that nothing the Democrats do will ever be good enough for you. Thanks for your concern, small government conservative.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ah yes the ever popular, worn and overused both sides “duhvert” card because reality doesn’t fit your tribalistic narrative. The irony is that we both support the assertive EU approach to regulating tech when it comes to privacy. You want to lay the blame at the feet of the GOP because of their misguided political stunt by which they incorrectly phrased relevant questions. The Democrats are beholden to Silicon Valley donors much as the GOP is beholden to the Koch Brothers and fossil fuels. I don’t expect to see any leadership on this issue.

Lol. This is truly sad. You want to give cons a free pass for being idiots and not actually addressing this for a decade. What's worse is the house isn't even blue yet, and you're already blaming Dems. Talk about tribalism.

Edit: aww, I've bored Starbuck, guess he doesn't really care about this and it was all for show.

Last edited:
Reactions: greatnoob

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ah yes the ever popular, worn and overused both sides “duhvert” card because reality doesn’t fit your tribalistic narrative. The irony is that we both support the assertive EU approach to regulating tech when it comes to privacy. You want to lay the blame at the feet of the GOP because of their misguided political stunt by which they incorrectly phrased relevant questions. The Democrats are beholden to Silicon Valley donors much as the GOP is beholden to the Koch Brothers and fossil fuels. I don’t expect to see any leadership on this issue.

In fact, If you'll actually read my replies, you'll see the I'm blaming g the cons for being idiots who are disingenuous with their concern. Theyve spent years complaining and riling up the base about how good the free market is for capitalism. I dont see any new search engines or social media sites httings the web from conservative groups. Let's do this thing, what are they waiting for?

The blame on the whole goes to the American people. Try to get one of them to give up their smart phone...lol...the ultimate data mining device.

Yeesh man, you realize we actually agree, and Im gonna call an idiot an idiot. Deal with it.

The fun part is a wide spread GDPR in the U.S. won't really impact search results since they're based on popularity.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This may be a heretical idea guys, but I'm still working out the kinks, so hear me out:

Is it possible that this line of questioning was as dumb as shit, and the big tech companies are abusive monopolies with information/our data?;)

Yup, but dont call them idiots or point our their uberfreemarket chants and blatant ignorance. That's offensive!

Wonder why they waited until now to address this? Was it because Net neutrality was stopping them? Lol...

Google search was being mean, look what you made me do!

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm shocked that nothing the Democrats do will ever be good enough for you. Thanks for your concern, small government conservative.
If you want to give the Democrats a pat on the back for getting in front of a well funded ballot initiative to protect the tech industry, be my guest. Thanks for the engagement, waterboy.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
In fact, If you'll actually read my replies, you'll see the I'm blaming g the cons for being idiots who are disingenuous with their concern. Theyve spent years complaining and riling up the base about how good the free market is for capitalism. I dont see any new search engines or social media sites httings the web from conservative groups. Let's do this thing, what are they waiting for?

The blame on the whole goes to the American people. Try to get one of them to give up their smart phone...lol...the ultimate data mining device.

Yeesh man, you realize we actually agree, and Im gonna call an idiot an idiot. Deal with it.

The fun part is a wide spread GDPR in the U.S. won't really impact search results since they're based on popularity.
I did read your replies. We are in violent agreement. It just seems you want to fixate on one tree and I want to appreciate the entire forest. What will you do when they cut down your idiot tree?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I did read your replies. We are in violent agreement. It just seems you want to fixate on one tree and I want to appreciate the entire forest. What will you do when they cut down your idiot tree?

The forest has been there the whole time, yet republican controlled house and Senate have done nothing to address it, and have in fact repealed rules in place to protect consumers. Their concern is bullshit, plain and simple. Their questions show just how ignorant they are.

One would think that after years of investigation into emails, they'd have learned a little bit about this new fangled interwebz thing.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The forest has been there the whole time, yet republican controlled house and Senate have done nothing to address it, and have in fact repealed rules in place to protect consumers. Their concern is bullshit, plain and simple. Their questions show just how ignorant they are.

One would think that after years of investigation into emails, they'd have learned a little bit about this new fangled interwebz thing.
I’m not defending them.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you want to give the Democrats a pat on the back for getting in front of a well funded ballot initiative to protect the tech industry, be my guest. Thanks for the engagement, waterboy.
I, too, am very angry the Democrats did what the people wanted.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You've certainly been defensive while I chastise their ignorance and hypocrisy, again....a complete 180 on their small goverent free market ideology that they've been riding hard forever.
Not at all. Defensive would be to defend the GOP or rationalize what they are doing. I am not giving them a pass at all. I am simply observing which targets seem to draw condemnation, hence my comment about trees and forests.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Not at all. Defensive would be to defend the GOP or rationalize what they are doing. I am not giving them a pass at all. I am simply observing which targets seem to draw condemnation, hence my comment about trees and forests.

As usual, your defense of the GOP is via condemning Democrats. Just an observation on my part, carry on.